Author Topic: Why is Dyson Head Office being re-located to Singapore?  (Read 25149 times)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Why is Dyson Head Office being re-located to Singapore?
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2019, 11:26:23 am »
"Disneyland with the death penalty" (popular nickname for Singapore)
That applies to Disneyland, Florida.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_the_United_States

For Disneyland without the death penalty, go to Paris.

Anyway, back on topic: I like some of the Dyson vacuums, but their hand driers are crap. There's one where I work and it gets very smelly!

I don't see how Dyson moving their head office to Singapore is going to make much difference to the UK's economy. There will be some job losses, but not many.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, ocset

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2019, 11:55:34 am »
You Brits should be worry or at least sympathize those Airbus employees, instead of these Dyson's few office workers. Thousands will be laid off if Brexit happened, really, personally I feel sorry for those workers if worst case happened.  :'(

Quote  -> "The world’s second-largest aerospace group employs 14,000 people in Britain, including 6,000 at its main wings factory at Broughton, Wales, and 3,000 in Filton, western England, where wings are designed and supported."

Source -> Airbus CEO warns of ‘harmful decisions’ for UK jobs in a no-deal Brexit

The following users thanked this post: ocset

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2019, 12:35:21 pm »
You Brits should be worry or at least sympathize those Airbus employees, instead of these Dyson's few office workers. Thousands will be laid off if Brexit happened, really, personally I feel sorry for those workers if worst case happened.  :'(

Quote  -> "The world’s second-largest aerospace group employs 14,000 people in Britain, including 6,000 at its main wings factory at Broughton, Wales, and 3,000 in Filton, western England, where wings are designed and supported."

Source -> Airbus CEO warns of ‘harmful decisions’ for UK jobs in a no-deal Brexit
That specifically relates to a no deal, not just Brexit.

In any case, although I agree no-deal isn't a viable an option, it would be stupid for our government to publicly rule out a no-deal Brexit, because it would reduce the possibility of the EU compromising. Clearly the current deal doesn't have enough support, so an alternative must be found.

The real problem with Brexit really is no one ever agreed on what it actually is. People who voted for Brexit, did so for differencing reasons and had opposing views on what it should be.

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2019, 12:41:35 pm »

That specifically relates to a no deal, not just Brexit.

In any case, although I agree no-deal isn't a viable an option, it would be stupid for our government to publicly rule out a no-deal Brexit, because it would reduce the possibility of the EU compromising. Clearly the current deal doesn't have enough support, so an alternative must be found.

The real problem with Brexit really is no one ever agreed on what it actually is. People who voted for Brexit, did so for differencing reasons and had opposing views on what it should be.

Maybe the best way is a hard Brexit. Then the brits can figure out if they really like it and if all the proposed benefits really happen :) If not .... they could make another people's vote after they found out how it feels in reality. In the moment they look like a totally confused people who only know what they *dont* want.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2019, 01:17:35 pm »
"Disneyland with the death penalty" (popular nickname for Singapore)

If Dyson was born and grew up in the UK, it's his homeland, doesn't that count for something?

Rupert Murdoch was born and grew up in Australia, so no!

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective, ocset

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2019, 03:30:50 pm »
Maybe the best way is a hard Brexit. Then the brits can figure out if they really like it and if all the proposed benefits really happen :) If not .... they could make another people's vote after they found out how it feels in reality. In the moment they look like a totally confused people who only know what they *dont* want.

That thought occurred to me too but unfortunately, no, it wouldn't work.

There would always be another scapegoat, it'd be 'remainers' or somehow the EU again because they refused to bend over and give us everything we asked for or that tree over there because it looked at them funny.

A for instance, we are experiencing drug shortages here because of brexit stockpiling, a leaver told me it wasn't true, despite it being widely reported in the media and my partner's pharmacist telling her that is the reason she couldn't have some of her regular meds.

According to him, it's not true because he didn't vote for that and even if it was true he wasn't responsible for it, nor were any of the other people who voted leave, it was the government's fault.

That's the level of weapons grade stupidity that brought about Brexit.

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2019, 04:02:30 pm »

That thought occurred to me too but unfortunately, no, it wouldn't work.

There would always be another scapegoat, it'd be 'remainers' or somehow the EU again because they refused to bend over and give us everything we asked for or that tree over there because it looked at them funny.

A for instance, we are experiencing drug shortages here because of brexit stockpiling, a leaver told me it wasn't true, despite it being widely reported in the media and my partner's pharmacist telling her that is the reason she couldn't have some of her regular meds.

According to him, it's not true because he didn't vote for that and even if it was true he wasn't responsible for it, nor were any of the other people who voted leave, it was the government's fault.

That's the level of weapons grade stupidity that brought about Brexit.

Well, to me it looks like some drunk upperclass people had a bet in a bar at night if they could manipulate the public into this "adventure". Its a prank that somehow went out of control. Normally you appeal for patriotism when all other intellectual means are exhausted.

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2019, 05:19:49 pm »
... I am afraid that the hard-core Brexiteers wont listen to any kind of warning, is it that what you ment ?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2019, 05:37:46 pm »
(referring to a post I decided to delete just a minute after I posted it)
No, something completely unexpected. Any change will trigger it.
... I am afraid that the hard-core Brexiteers wont listen to any kind of warning, is it that what you meant ?

No, none of them seem to have any idea of what will be triggered by this change. One has to look to opinion pieces like the one penned by Peter Ungphakorn in ICTSD Bridges on 27 June 2016. And even that one only hints at something which is certain to be determinative of so very much it should be seen very differently. The whole direction of our planets future may hinge on what happens.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 06:04:50 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2019, 05:44:33 pm »
For me, Brexit has served a purpose: piquing my interest in, and convincing me to make an effort to learn about the UK's parliamentary system, of which I must confess, my previous knowledge was completely wrong. :-[

It has been a fascinating, high-stakes drama for which I am sure many textbooks will be written, documentaries will be made, and perhaps even an Oscar-worthy film will come out when the dust finally settles.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 05:47:09 pm by schmitt trigger »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2019, 05:54:16 pm »
(or whatever award is applicable in this theatrical context)

What an amazing performance indeed. And its not over yet.

It has been a fascinating, high-stakes drama for which I am sure many textbooks will be written, documentaries will be made, and perhaps even an Oscar-worthy film will come out when the dust finally settles.

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2019, 05:54:19 pm »
In some aspects British people are like women to me; you should love them, but trying to understand them is futile.  ;)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2019, 05:56:03 pm »
... I am afraid that the hard-core Brexiteers wont listen to any kind of warning, is it that what you ment ?

That's about it, even today, with the announcement of Airbus possibly having to relocate if we 'crash out', they are still trying to deny there will be ill effects, some are still claiming it's all scare stories, the best I've heard today is a radio interview with a British woman who says none of the stories of businesses leaving are true.

She was calling from her home in Italy.

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2019, 06:04:00 pm »
... thats British humour at its best.  >:D

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2019, 06:10:40 pm »
The Brits will get through the hurdles, rebuild their independence and become free, while other countried remain enslaved and raped.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2019, 06:14:43 pm »
Theres an old saying "Out of the frying pan and into the fire"

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2019, 06:17:21 pm »
While sympathies for the Brussels bureaucrats are very moderate no other EU country found it attractive to imitate what England is doing at the moment. If splendid isolations stands for less living standards, less freedom of travel, more expensive supplies and other drawbacks - fine. Nationalism comes at a price.  :)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2019, 07:02:42 pm »
Except nothing is as it seems in this mess.

Any change at this point may trigger TWO SETS of demands from 163 potential countries on them, because much of what they do - the UK's safety net, which was grandfathered in more than 20 years ago, as well as their market access, like the situation with most other EU countries, is alleged to be 'nonconformant' with the rules they think will be so simple to manage. Other countries are pushing hard for changes, to make the UK and other similar countries more like them. They don't want to become more like the developed countries in terms of a safety net or labor standards or food safety or anything.  They want the market access they claim to have been promised. Especially in services. They often frame much of what most people in Western countries see as the irreversible improvements made in the 20th century, as bad, as forms of discrimination or protectionism.

So Brexit may end up in retrospect as a bit like jumping out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2019, 07:10:33 pm »
The Brits will get through the hurdles, rebuild their independence and become free, while other countried remain enslaved and raped.

Bud, with all due respect, you clearly have absolutely no idea about the EU, what it does or how it works.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, ocset, bd139

Offline dave j

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2019, 07:38:54 pm »
Most of them voted leave. Reserve your sympathies for those who won't be the architects of their own downfall.
I'm not David L Jones. Apparently I actually do have to point this out.

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2019, 07:56:28 pm »
How do you know that the British Airbus people voted "leave". That would be a big surprise for me.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2019, 07:57:11 pm »
In some ways, (not the ways that are publicized, in the sense that they could sense that the means by which they managed to survive were being traded out from under them) the people (Not their leadership!) who wanted to 'Leave' had some legitimate beefs.

However, the whole situation has the reek of having been created by external forces deliberately. For example, the push to create a single market for labor is a means of labor arbitrage, to lower wages. Immigrants arent to blame, nor are people fleeing warfare. We could deal with all these challenges much better than we are, whats happening everywhere is the people who currently hold the reigns of power are not the kinds of wise people we need, they are more of a tribe of the very rich who care more about one another than they do about the needs of their respective countries.

As they game the system by taking unfair advantage of its power gradients, they want to keep the planet as divided as they can for as long as they can, blaming everybody but themselves so skillfully that virtually no attention is being focused on the looting of everything, as fast as they can, or the huge problem of exponentially increasing productivity (which should be seen as a good thing by any sane society, leading to people being given more time with families, etc.) The bar to employment is rising, yes, but that shouldn't lead, as it has, to disinvestments in education, or society.

Basically, a failure to implement fair policies like progressive taxation, also overspending on military hardware and washing of hands of the responsibilities to all of us is occurring.

Making the world everybody wants for all of us happen needs to be much higher priority and everybody rich and poor knows this. And admits it in private. SO actually people agree much more than the media implies! Very few people actually agree with the extreme right that gets so much airtime. Those people are basically put there in an attempt to shift the Overton Window by the rich. To prevent attention from being focused on rapidly increasing inequality.

Education is a crucial positive force, instead we're seeing disinvestment. Health is an essential good and we need to have it become a human right. Instead we're seeing efforts to make it less and less affordable. By fiat.

Rights to clean drinking water, energy needed for homes and businesses all need to be protected, instead the wagons are being circled to extract more, before people realize how little they may have for these things in the future, and make these things more expensive than they need to be now. And require countries not provide them to the poor when in many cases they did in the past.

So, it seems to me - as an outsider that at least some of the beefs the pro-Brexit Leave people had were right. Are right, but they were being manipulated, and misled, by people who deliberately mis-attributed the cause of those problems to the EU entity that -although it was in no small part one of the main parties RESPONSIBLE for the huge attack on the (very existence of a) middle class (and also on the poor) that is just beginning, (a founding member, so to speak) it was also in a sense a semi wrapped up package that also had the effect of diluting or postponing the worst of the changes into the future by making huge promises, OR SO GOES THE COVER STORY..  But really, its been implementing policies that originate in Geneva, which is a body of oligarchs, many of whom are bad for their countries.

Because the coalition of the greedy (speaking of all the nation states, north and south that drink the Kool Aid of antidemocratic global governance orgs and their vast cult-like attempt to disruptively remake society with an amoral scheme that reverses right and wrong quietly) its framing public goods in its totally broken definition of public services as a taking of new artificially created 'rights' from corporations and typically oligarch run countries, framing all countries as equally legitimate (a sort of divine right of kings, that nobody ever voted for, or would vote for)  its 'programme' is arguably designed to be a wet dream for the despotic, when before they felt pressure to change, now they seem to be held up as the model, the countries where the rich are really rich, and the poor invisible.

This was never anybody's wish except for a very few, and its really a huge global theft of the planet's hopes and dreams for a better less corrupt future, more than any kind of rules based system.

Because it sets up a system where even the worst governments have equal rights with the best. They get everything political, and corporations, BAD AND GOOD get almost total control over everything involving money. And both seem to be bending over backwards to hide this shameful important change.

This is kind of a "Straw Man Transaction" or an "Adverse Possession" to take beneficial ownership - de facto possession of the planet and its future- before what was a gradually improving expectaion that democracy can really become a real one everywhere, someday,- because an uncontrolled Internet with free speech would have had the potential to do that.

Trust me, not only the UK people but to varying degrees the entire world, both developed and developing have been misled on a scale which boggles the imagination.

The best thing people could do to figure it out is stop watching or reading any popular media except very very critically, and instead do research on the roots of the multilateral trading system in the Bretton Woods conference, starting with the so called Uruguay Round, and its alleged 'compromise' on 'services' that first was put in writing via a single paragraph in the preambulary language (non-binding) in the Punta Del Este Declaration of 20 September 1986, as part of the transition from GATT into the totally undemocratic, undisputedly illegitimate, (the only disagree about how to fix it, but none of the proposals could because to fix it would require disclosure that they will never do) The so called 'rules based system' (cough) we (don't) know today.

This is now alleged to have created a body of expectations and obligations, however its really a masterful con game to implement a sort of "Golden Straightjacket" that directly conflicts with democracy, in other words, the hyperglobalization "Trilemma" situation that exists today.

When you understand that all this shenanigans will make much more sense.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:00:25 pm by cdev »

Offline dave j

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2019, 08:18:52 pm »
How do you know that the British Airbus people voted "leave". That would be a big surprise for me.
Airbus staff: ‘I voted Leave. People said Brexit would never affect us because we’re too big a company.’

You have to remember that a lot of people didn't think leave would win and voted for it as a way to protest about the government's austerity policies and because the two main parties have ignored them for decades. Our first past the post electoral system means that the vast majority of people live in safe constituencies - they either always return a Conservative MP or a Labour one. Conservative governments ignore people in safe Labour constituencies because they'll never vote for them and Labour governments ignore them because they'll always vote for them. Similarly with safe Conservative constituencies.
I'm not David L Jones. Apparently I actually do have to point this out.

The following users thanked this post: Wolfgang, ocset

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2019, 08:33:02 pm »

There have been quite a few interviewed on television outside the factory in Broughton who have freely admitted they did.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2019, 09:30:47 pm »
In some ways, (not the ways that are publicized, in the sense that they could sense that the means by which they managed to survive were being traded out from under them) the people (Not their leadership!) who wanted to 'Leave' had some legitimate beefs.

However, the whole situation has the reek of having been created by external forces deliberately. For example, the push to create a single market for labor is a means of labor arbitrage, to lower wages. Immigrants arent to blame, nor are people fleeing warfare. We could deal with all these challenges much better than we are, whats happening everywhere is the people who currently hold the reigns of power are not the kinds of wise people we need, they are more of a tribe of the very rich who care more about one another than they do about the needs of their respective countries.

Also zero hour contracts and I see that they use the immigrants for their "market forces" on wages.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf