Author Topic: Why is it the more I read the EEVblog forum, my expectations of Apple keeps...  (Read 43697 times)

Offline filssavi

• Frequent Contributor
Apart from the device that still work: if you have a problem with one and it's the manufacturers fault, don't you think they should do something? They apparently just ignore until they get sued. Is that not a problem for you?

As if other manufacturer acted differently....

But if Samsung/ASUS/dell have the same behaviour it is apparently fine

The following users thanked this post: mtdoc, tooki

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Surveys consistently show Apple’s product reliability to be above average, and customer satisfaction (which is of course a result not only of the devices themselves, but how Apple handles failures if they do occur) to be at the front of the pack, year after year after year. So even with the occasional exception, the overwhelming majority of customers are very happy.

Could you link us to some of the results of these surveys? Because it seems there is about a 50/50 split between owners of Apple devices. Half of the people I speak to have an Apple device but are going to "upgrade" (their word, not mine) to an Android device once their plan is finished or the phone dies because of dissatisfaction.

The other half love their devices for a wide range of reasons or simply don't care.

It just seems to me that there is a high proportion of Apple-owners who are not satisfied either with their devices and/or the service they get (or don't get) from Apple. They are also getting frustrated that as manufacturers of Android (and other) OS's continue to innovate, improve and provide wider options, Apple just regurgitate the same crap with a new box.

Look at the market share over the last 5 years alone (which is a far more reliable indicator of than a survey). iOS has claimed on average a 35% market share (in Australia). It's been fairly stable despite the increased uptake in smart phones and tablet devices by consumers (growing about 11% each year). However Android remains dominant at around 65% and growing.

In a nutshell, no matter what the Apple haters say, the proof is in the pudding: Apple customers keep coming back. There is no coercion, no religion, no cult. Just a large group of largely satisfied customers. A self-selected minority of exceptions doesn’t disprove the overall picture.

I think you'd be a little naive to think that all Apple owners are returning, simply because they like their products. There is also a significant portion who are not technically minded, who stick with Apple products not because they necessarily want to, but because they find switching just too difficult or too daunting.

In my experience for every 1 person I hear who love their Apple products and would keep buying them, I get another 1-2 people complain about their past experience with Apple hardware and are either going to switch or have already switched to alternatives. But yes, as you said, the proof is indeed in the pudding.

Louis is absolutely spot on when he said "Consumers need to start thinking better, to think beyond, to think durable, fixable, usable... better."

I will gladly purchase an Apple laptop, smart phone or desktop computer when:

1. Their premium price is backed up by premium, long-lasting and reliable hardware,
2. Their design compliments the user, not restrict them by removing features people like,
3. They allow me to upgrade key components without requiring an electrical engineering background,
4. They allow me to upgrade/repair components myself and be able to get the damned thing back together again, and,
5. When they stop screwing the customer by either bricking their devices, disabling features or deleting user data between software updates.

If those 5 things happen, I will seriously consider an Apple product for myself. Until then, no thanks. I'll stick with the faster, more reliable and more durable alternatives.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 05:58:04 am by Halcyon »

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Apple products are the only ones supported by a lot of corporate IT departments now. Judging by complaints about this state of affairs, a lot of users have them because they are forced to, not because they prefer them.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

Offline BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor

:-DD This 1 VIDEO!!!!!!  :-DD
It exists on page 3 of this thread.
It exists on page 4 of this thread.
Now, thanks to Dave, it exists on page 6 of this thread!  :-+

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
:-DD This 1 VIDEO!!!!!!  :-DD
It exists on page 3 of this thread.
It exists on page 4 of this thread.
Now, thanks to Dave, it exists on page 6 of this thread!  :-+

Doh, shows I don't follow this thread.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Apple products are the only ones supported by a lot of corporate IT departments now. Judging by complaints about this state of affairs, a lot of users have them because they are forced to, not because they prefer them.

Unfortunately this is true.

Thankfully many of those departments in Australia who took on Apple servers and clients have since dumped them, if for no other reason than it ended up costing much more.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
We’ve got a ton of both types of machines (over 100 each). They’re about the same for TCO. Thing we find with windows is that it costs more in support and subscriptions whereas the initial capital is more for the macs. So over 3 years about the same. Failure rate of PCs is much higher (7% vs 2%) and we buy high end HP stuff only.

You’ll find the office staff will take a PC if there is a choice and the power users and developers will take the macs. Honestly though the gap is closing thanks the WSL etc. WSL is closer to target environments than OSX.

You’d have to be mad to run Apple servers however. zero point in that.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 09:31:43 am by bd139 »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Apart from the device that still work: if you have a problem with one and it's the manufacturers fault, don't you think they should do something? They apparently just ignore until they get sued. Is that not a problem for you?
You missed the point about the selection bias: What makes the news are the instances when they haven’t done enough. The millions of times when they have done things right aren’t considered newsworthy.

Reports are that Apple fans are becoming weary of the expensive treadmill. 
Top end phone sales are in a downturn in favor of more sensibly priced models.

Share prices of Apple suppliers fall on ‘deeper trough’ of iPhone X sales
https://9to5mac.com/2018/04/24/iphone-x-sales-apple-suppliers/

Almost nobody wants the iPhone X
"But analysts say that tide is shifting: Dramatically fewer people are buying the latest iPhones."
https://qz.com/1260811/apples-second-quarter-2018-analyst-expect-poor-iphone-x-sales/

etc.....
Bear in mind that it’s become an annual sport to report that [latest iPhone model] sales are down, only for Apple to announce a few months later that it’s been a smashing success. The “analysts” IMHO often are using their own anal cavity as their primary source of data.

Yup, Apple is held to an entirely diffferent set of standards in the media, and by extension by a lot of popular opinion.

Surveys consistently show Apple’s product reliability to be above average, and customer satisfaction (which is of course a result not only of the devices themselves, but how Apple handles failures if they do occur) to be at the front of the pack, year after year after year. So even with the occasional exception, the overwhelming majority of customers are very happy.
Could you link us to some of the results of these surveys? Because it seems there is about a 50/50 split between owners of Apple devices. Half of the people I speak to have an Apple device but are going to "upgrade" (their word, not mine) to an Android device once their plan is finished or the phone dies because of dissatisfaction.
Look up the surveys from ACPI, JD Powers, etc. Apple continues to be at the front of the pack. Note that I am not saying that others (especially Samsung) are bad. They’re not.

The other half love their devices for a wide range of reasons or simply don't care.
The vast majority of people don’t care about their devices anywhere near as much as we nerds do.

It just seems to me that there is a high proportion of Apple-owners who are not satisfied either with their devices and/or the service they get (or don't get) from Apple.
Selection bias again: all the people who are happy don’t really talk about it.

They are also getting frustrated that as manufacturers of Android (and other) OS's continue to innovate, improve and provide wider options, Apple just regurgitate the same crap with a new box.
Except that this is demonstrably untrue.

Look at the market share over the last 5 years alone (which is a far more reliable indicator of than a survey). iOS has claimed on average a 35% market share (in Australia). It's been fairly stable despite the increased uptake in smart phones and tablet devices by consumers (growing about 11% each year). However Android remains dominant at around 65% and growing.
No, market share is a terrible indicator of satisfaction. High market share is in no way indicative of customer satisfaction, and vice versa, because many factors come into play. Comcast may have the highest market share of ISPs, but its customer satisfaction is abyssmal. Luxury brands like BWM have excellent satisfaction scores but garner single-digit market share. (And nobody thinks they're wrong for doing this.)

Apple has never chased market share in earnest. Its primary goals continue to be customer satisfaction and profit. And one key element to this strategy is, plain and simply, avoiding the low end of the market, where cheap products reduce customer satisfaction and at the same time have razor-thin profit margins. (John Gruber has written about market share vs profit share extensively.)

In a nutshell, no matter what the Apple haters say, the proof is in the pudding: Apple customers keep coming back. There is no coercion, no religion, no cult. Just a large group of largely satisfied customers. A self-selected minority of exceptions doesn’t disprove the overall picture.

I think you'd be a little naive to think that all Apple owners are returning, simply because they like their products. There is also a significant portion who are not technically minded, who stick with Apple products not because they necessarily want to, but because they find switching just too difficult or too daunting.
It’s not naïveté, my list of reasons was not exhaustive, I listed only a few. And I actually did mention a related topic (investment in ecosystem), which together with your comment basically form a signficant barrier to switching, namely, friction. Switching from any platform to another involves friction, and for someone to bother, the benefits of switching must exceed the friction. And frankly, for most people, the benefits aren’t big enough. We saw this with computers: despite Windows’ annoyances in its most frustrating days (e.g. Win 95-XP), for most people it was good enough, and the friction of moving to Mac was great enough to make most people not bother. The advent of the Web, with tons of end-user applications moving from native apps to Web apps, removed a significant source of friction, and we saw an uptick in switchers. But nonetheless, these days any major OS is adequate for the average user, and so most stick with what they know.

In my experience for every 1 person I hear who love their Apple products and would keep buying them, I get another 1-2 people complain about their past experience with Apple hardware and are either going to switch or have already switched to alternatives. But yes, as you said, the proof is indeed in the pudding.

Louis is absolutely spot on when he said "Consumers need to start thinking better, to think beyond, to think durable, fixable, usable... better."

I will gladly purchase an Apple laptop, smart phone or desktop computer when:

1. Their premium price is backed up by premium, long-lasting and reliable hardware,
2. Their design compliments the user, not restrict them by removing features people like,
3. They allow me to upgrade key components without requiring an electrical engineering background,
4. They allow me to upgrade/repair components myself and be able to get the damned thing back together again, and,
5. When they stop screwing the customer by either bricking their devices, disabling features or deleting user data between software updates.

If those 5 things happen, I will seriously consider an Apple product for myself. Until then, no thanks. I'll stick with the faster, more reliable and more durable alternatives.
1. Data indicates Apple products as having significantly above-average usable lifetimes. (E.g Macs are used on average for 4 years, vs. just 3 for Windows, before replacement. And iPhones receive major OS updates on average for 4 years, vs 2 or less for nearly all Android phones.)

2. There is no one user. What’s a feature to one user may be a downside to another. (E.g. classic tradeoff between weight and features.) This is why there are different models. But Apple also is very explicit about not trying to be everything to everyone: there are markets they choose not to enter.

3/4. Sorta #2, but I kinda agree with you on this, at least insofar as I think there needs to be at least one properly-upgradeable model available. (I love my 2008 Mac Pro for this reason. Upgrades have kept it eminently usable even at age 10.)

5. Nearly total FUD.
a) Bricking: Device bricking has lots of causes, and frankly most aren’t malicious. (We as EEs of all people should understand this.) The primary reason for component authentication is for security via chain of trust, which is clearly necessary given the amount of private data on a modern device, and the multitude of actors (advertisers, thieves, governments, etc.) who’d love to access our data, and actively try to do so. It does make repair more difficult, and that sucks, I agree. But I’d rather that than a device that is easily compromised. 
b) Disabling features: While it does sometimes happen, IMHO this claim is blown wildly out of proportion. There is no question in my mind that iOS and macOS upgrades, on the balance, have added FAR more features than they’ve taken away. (Don’t believe me? Try going back to a version a few versions back. Suddenly you notice all the missing stuff that was slowly added.) The big exception, the one where I agree Apple has taken a lot, is in pro software, especially Mac OS X Server and Final Cut Pro. In the latter especially, the ground-up rewrite meant losing tons of features that had been accumulated along the way. (The same thing happened in the Pages/Numbers/Keynote and iMovie rewrites, though all of those recovered faster, since their original feature sets were smaller than Final Cut’s, so rebuilding them wasn’t such a daunting task.)
c) Deleting user data between updates: Say what now??? I’ve never lost data in an upgrade, and my iPhone setup has been migrated seamlessly all the way from an original iPhone (the 2G one in 2007) running iPhone OS 1.0. Even more impessively, my Mac Pro’s OS install and user data has been upgraded progressively from Mac OS X 10.2.8 on a PowerBook G4 all the way to Mac OS X 10.11 (the highest supported on that Mac Pro), which covered not only the 10.2->10.5 upgrades on the PowerBook, but then the shift to the Intel architecture on the Mac Pro (10.5 was a universal binary that ran on both!). So literally I’m running a user profile first configured in 2003. I have no idea where you get the idea that upgrades delete data. This is literally something where Apple excels head-and-shoulders above the rest.

We’ve got a ton of both types of machines (over 100 each). They’re about the same for TCO. Thing we find with windows is that it costs more in support and subscriptions whereas the initial capital is more for the macs. So over 3 years about the same. Failure rate of PCs is much higher (7% vs 2%) and we buy high end HP stuff only.
Thanks for the data. I’m sure the TCO differential varies wildly depending on industry and company size, too. (As well as, frankly, the skill of the sysadmins!)

You’ll find the office staff will take a PC if there is a choice and the power users and developers will take the macs. Honestly though the gap is closing thanks the WSL etc. WSL is closer to target environments than OSX.
I think office staff, being typically less tech-savvy (and thus less interested in changing their technology) and having typically used Windows for such tasks, is happy to stick with it (and why should they change?!?). And while MS Office for Mac has been around forever (literally longer than on Windows!), until recently it has not had total feature parity with Office for Windows, and the missing features tended to be business-oriented. So totally understandable.

WSL is interesting indeed.

Well, given that Apple doesnt even sell server hardware anymore... For sure there are sound reasons for running a Mac OS X Server server in a corporate network with Macs, for a few things. But with Macs and PCs largely using the same protocols for everything now (mostly via the Mac learning all the MS protocols), there’s not much need for separate Mac servers anymore.

[Edit: fixed nested formatting errors.]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:57:49 pm by tooki »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF

Unfortunately this is true.

Thankfully many of those departments in Australia who took on Apple servers and clients have since dumped them, if for no other reason than it ended up costing much more.

My company is stuck in this loop.  We use iPhone 7.  No one really likes them and the software we need to use is also available for Android.  Maybe some day we will switch, I doubt it.  I will admit that the hotspot works well but part of that is being on Verizon.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
Does this guy ever comb his hair?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
I have two Apple devices, a touch Ipod, and a mini tablet. They are both essentially bricked because I can't recover my Apple account to manage them. Last time I tried, they locked me out for 21 days and then never sent the recovery email they promised.  If I can ever recover my account, I'm going to wipe them and get rid of them for whatever somebody will pay (assuming they are worth anything at all).

I got the touch Ipad for the usual purpose, to listen to music and audiobooks, etc. But Apple decided that if I uploaded something that was available from their streaming service, they would unilaterally delete it without my knowledge or permission.  "This is available online" they say. But my reason for loading it is because I don't want to burn wireless data charges AND I am frequently in areas not covered by wireless service at any price.  I am totally fed up with their "we know better" attitude.  Just sell me something straightforward that I can manage for myself and stop treating me like an idiot.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado

How in the world do you end up with a 7% failure rate? That's massive and unlike the numbers I know. Is it a sample group of about a 100 pieces? Because it seems that it may very well be a matter of a small sample group paired with bad luck.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
You missed the point about the selection bias: What makes the news are the instances when they haven’t done enough. The millions of times when they have done things right aren’t considered newsworthy.
If you go that route, then you're guilty of the McNamara fallacy (Only the numbers count), Survivorship bias (ignore all the bad things), Pro-innovation bias (apple builds only the best stuff, "Apple is wonderful" effect), Law of the instrument (Using your selection bias for everything), maybe even Hostile attribution bias (Because we fucking hate Apple and want it to die, nothing we say holds any meaning).

OK?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

How in the world do you end up with a 7% failure rate? That's massive and unlike the numbers I know. Is it a sample group of about a 100 pieces? Because it seems that it may very well be a matter of a small sample group paired with bad luck.

Got some numbers. 171 desktop PCs. 7% failure rate in 36 months. 90% of the failed units failed within 6 months. Failures were 40% down to one model of desktop. Rest were random. We planned for 5% failure every year so this was good after the spike of dead machines near the start.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
bd139, I know it may be too much to ask, but do you know the nature of the failures?

In my experience from a deployment of thousands of laptops, the split is very favourable to Dell when compared to Toshiba (both business lines) - most of Dells had HDD or battery failures (easily replaceable on-site), while Toshibas suffered more with keyboards, and screen hinges. About a year ago, Macs started to be introduced (mostly to middle management; developers prefer regular PCs with Windows or Linux) and there haven't been reports of severe issues yet apart from the occasional missing/broken stupid dongle, but there are already issues here and there with their terrible choice for cable insulation.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
These were HP desktops. Mainly "completely dead" without diagnosis. Wouldn't power on.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
Got some numbers. 171 desktop PCs. 7% failure rate in 36 months. 90% of the failed units failed within 6 months. Failures were 40% down to one model of desktop. Rest were random. We planned for 5% failure every year so this was good after the spike of dead machines near the start.

Hey you! Yes, you. Don't go contaminating a vaguely anecdotal beat-up with facts or figures. That's not allowed!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
 :-DD

BTW we have 43 MacBook Pros. Zero failures in 3 years. Someone popped the screen on theirs, and I did the screen in on mine  :palm: but that doesn't count. Had 3 iMac failures out of 89 machines, all panel failures and all after 2 years.

Trying to find PC laptop failures but the pile of about 50 dead Dells says something...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:26:43 pm by bd139 »

steverino

Reports are that Apple fans are becoming weary of the expensive treadmill. 
Top end phone sales are in a downturn in favor of more sensibly priced models.

Share prices of Apple suppliers fall on ‘deeper trough’ of iPhone X sales
https://9to5mac.com/2018/04/24/iphone-x-sales-apple-suppliers/

Almost nobody wants the iPhone X
"But analysts say that tide is shifting: Dramatically fewer people are buying the latest iPhones."
https://qz.com/1260811/apples-second-quarter-2018-analyst-expect-poor-iphone-x-sales/

etc.....
I switched to Macs about 15 years ago.  I've purchased 4 2013 macbook pros for myself and family (all still running, despite liquid spills, which thanks to Louis Rossmann, I've been able to repair).  I would have upgraded to a new model except that I'm not sure who Apple is marketing to.  I refuse to purchase the lasted macbook pro incarnations.  When they die, I'll probably have to bite the bullet and step back into the Windows world (or maybe even linux, I hate Windows -- no flames please).

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
I switched to Mac OS X 10 years ago after being so tired of Windows slowing down brand new powerful laptops and updating antivirus software almost every single day, dealing with Windows registry, software removal process that left tons of uninstalled pieces of software... Apple Mac OS X is the most end user friendly system that you can get, easy to maintain and all the OS upgrades are free.

Offline JanNousiainen

• Contributor
I have used latest versions of Windows from 1993 until Windows 8.0 came out. Skipped 8.1 also and briefly tried Windows 10. Yuck. On my Windows machines I still run Windows 7 and sometimes even Vista.

Tried Linux Mint and liked it very much, used it as main OS for a year on my PC's

Then I bought one 10 year old iMac and liked the OS X and overall quality. Since then I have bought about 7 Macs, starting from G4 iMac and Mac Mini to 2011 Macbook Pro and Mac Pro. OS X versions I have in use span timeframe of ten years and they are remarkably similar, only details seem to change.

I also have feeling that Apple hardware is usable for a longer time than Windows machines, at least those made in 00's. Or at least they look and feel of much better quality while almost every PC is pretty forgetable affair.

Keep open mind and explore. You might get suprised :)
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Usable  is a relative term. The older a machine gets, you need to lower your expectations of what it is able to do.

I started off with Windows, and I still run it, with my essential lineage being NT5>WinXP>Win7>Win2016. My secondary is Arch Linux, which is a beauty to work with, and I truly love it. I wish I could use it, but much of the stuff I work with doesn't work with it. (Mostly games).

My experience with MacOS past System 9 is very minimal. I've used OS/X a few times, but as far as I can see, it's Unix with a fancy graphical shell. It doesn't have any applications that attract me to it, and as a techie, it doesn't offer me any conveniences, in fact to me, it honestly seems like it would be a burden of an OS.

A properly tuned Linux distro would probably be faster than OS/X, and if I wasn't bound by WinNT app support, I would daily drive Arch Linux.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline MT

• Super Contributor

Yes!

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
These were HP desktops. Mainly "completely dead" without diagnosis. Wouldn't power on.

Did you happen to use after-market DisplayPort cables? I've found with the newer Z-series Workstations, if you use after-market cables which aren't up to scratch, the machine won't power on. No idea why they've designed it that way. I found this out the hard way after about an hour.

Boot the machine up normally with the HP supplied cable, no problems. Disconnect and replace with longer, after-market DP cable (while the machine is running), no video sync. Reboot, red light on the front of the machine indicating "PSU failure", when that isn't the case.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf