Author Topic: Why is it the more I read the EEVblog forum, my expectations of Apple keeps...  (Read 43758 times)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Wow, this is a new one I haven't heard before. Just another example of Apple selling crappy quality components and screwing the customer.

USD$80 for a VESA mount, that's a flimsy piece of crap. And Apple claimed that even though it's sold by them, it's a third-party product and they won't offer warranty on it.

If that were in Australia, they would be hauled before a court (again). What the hell? Honestly, why do people keep buying this rubbish?!
Something about that story doesn't add up. Apple sells third-party products, and Apple's own products are all contract manufactured anyway. It makes no sense to add another category (third-party but Apple-branded), but moreover, if the VESA adapter's own support info gives the Apple number, it seems to me it's an Apple product. Whatever the phone monkey thought, it was almost certainly incorrect.

The reaction to the physical condition of the repaired unit seemed also quite watered down (to me that would have triggered a massive s***storm), although after such terrible service I can't fully blame him for not pursuing this further.
If you look at the video comments, he did pursue it further, and Apple replaced the machine for him with a brand new one.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
The reaction to the physical condition of the repaired unit seemed also quite watered down (to me that would have triggered a massive s***storm), although after such terrible service I can't fully blame him for not pursuing this further.
If you look at the video comments, he did pursue it further, and Apple replaced the machine for him with a brand new one.
Thanks; I haven't read the comments. In this case, kudos to Apple for setting this straight. Hopefully he got some "extra swag" for his wasted time. :D
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Thanks; I haven't read the comments. In this case, kudos to Apple for setting this straight. Hopefully he got some "extra swag" for his wasted time. :D
Not a chance; Apple stores don’t have swag at all. The only place in the world that carries it is campus store at the headquarters. :(

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
Did he go in the hardwarestore and buy some quality screws? Or would that void the warranty because they are not apple certified?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 04:51:00 pm by Distelzombie »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Did he go in the hardwarestore and buy some quality screws? Or would that void the warranty because they are not apple certified?

Going by Apple's recent history, they would probably claim that it's a "counterfeit" product and would void your warranty there and then.

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley, CNe7532294

Online BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
If it took me this long and have to go through all these hoops to fix my PC, I would be long out of business.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Only to show how the company's practices are the big piece for criticism - everything else is debatable (quality of products, ease of use, features, etc.)

I guess they really turned themselves into their former arch nemesis: IBM. Shameful.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Zimphire

Im still using my 2011 Mac mini with no problems. Love it. Will buy a new Mac when it dies or becomes too slow for the software.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Im still using my 2011 Mac mini with no problems. Love it. Will buy a new Mac when it dies or becomes too slow for the software.
I wish Apple would update the damned mini. I really loved those. (As for me, my main Mac is still my 2008 Mac Pro!)

Online BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I wish Apple would update the damned mini. I really loved those. (As for me, my main Mac is still my 2008 Mac Pro!)
Nothing wrong with the old MACs, it's the new ones beginning around 2 years after Steve Jobs died.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
My 2013 rMBP is fine ;)

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living

Supposedly a new mini this fall. (My late 2012 last-of-the-quad-i7s mini is still chugging along like a champ, though.)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor

Supposedly a new mini this fall. (My late 2012 last-of-the-quad-i7s mini is still chugging along like a champ, though.)
I hope you’re right!! A Mac mini with Thunderbolt, with a thunderbolt gpu and disk enclosure, would be a decent quasi-Mac Pro substitute.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Mac Mini was the only Apple product I ever considered buying. That was back when they started putting C2Ds in them, but they were too expensive for what you got.  Maybe now I can find a used one for cheap on ebay.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living

I hope you’re right!! A Mac mini with Thunderbolt, with a thunderbolt gpu and disk enclosure, would be a decent quasi-Mac Pro substitute.

My mac mini has Thunderbolt 2! It's connected to an Other World Computing dock, which gives four USB 3.0 ports, an HDMI port (so I can drive two monitors), another FireWire 800 port (I still use FW!), another gigabit Ethernet port, and meh-quality audio out (stereo) and in (mono). Works well.

My guess is that the new mini will have Thunderbolt 3 (the USB-C connector). Anyone's guess as to what other peripherals it might offer. But if it's a 6-core i7 like the new MacBook Pro, they won't be able to make them fast enough.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf