Author Topic: Why is the word "tr*nny" so popular here?  (Read 5911 times)

Offline analoggueTopic starter

Why is the word "tr*nny" so popular here?
« on: December 05, 2017, 01:23:56 am »
Being a trans EE student in the states, it really hurts every time I'm thoroughly enjoying one of dave's vids and out of nowhere such a hateful and vitriolic word gets thrown around so casually. As a word for transistor, I've never heard it used in the US, but is everyone aware of how awful it feels to be called something so dehumanizing? I'd like to believe that most people are well-intentioned and don't realize what kind of hurt it causes, and it seems so obvious to me, but is it purposeful? Don't mean to stir up drama but no other EE channel on youtube talks like that, and it really bothers me.

The following users thanked this post: alxptt

Offline CopperCone

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
Re: Why is the word "tr*nny" so popular here?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 01:27:42 am »
its also used for car transmission.

who cares. its like complaining the enola gay's name should be changed since it delivered hot nuclear death. or renaming the fat man

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 01:34:44 am »
It's an unfortunate name space collision - 'tranny' is a just a 'pet name' for transistor radio, and also transistors, a bit like "teevee" for television. Definitely no malice intended. I don't think anybody puts one and one together.

IMO I think it is something to do with Australia - all long words have to get shortened to minimize the chances of swallowing a gnat or a spider or maybe a kangaroo.
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

The following users thanked this post: alxptt

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 01:44:44 am »
Knowing the LGBTI community very well myself...

Oh Oh... you've excluded a few groups there...

The following users thanked this post: Red Squirrel, JPortici

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 01:50:32 am »
I've never heard it used as an offensive word, but yeah it's been used for years to refer to transmissions for decades in north america.
Gone for good

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 01:56:20 am »
Being a trans EE student in the states, it really hurts every time I'm thoroughly enjoying one of dave's vids and out of nowhere such a hateful and vitriolic word gets thrown around so casually. As a word for transistor, I've never heard it used in the US, but is everyone aware of how awful it feels to be called something so dehumanizing? I'd like to believe that most people are well-intentioned and don't realize what kind of hurt it causes, and it seems so obvious to me, but is it purposeful? Don't mean to stir up drama but no other EE channel on youtube talks like that, and it really bothers me.
Why does it hurt? The two things have nothing to do with each other.  I don't think gay women feel very offended when people talk about earthen and clay embankments that protect the lands from flooding, as they're not addressed. If the things were to be connected, the story of the boy who plugs a dyke with his finger suddenly has many new and unsettling dimensions.

Obviously, common usage can remind you of unpleasant associations, and I imagine that can be though at times. Maybe seeing words used in a different context can help you normalize the word into something much more regular.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 02:00:51 am »
I've never heard it used as an offensive word, but yeah it's been used for years to refer to transmissions for decades in north america.

If someone said to me "I like my tranny", I would think they are talking about their car.  I never paid attention to anyone calling a transistor "tranny".

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 02:02:55 am »
Don't mean to stir up drama but no other EE channel on youtube talks like that, and it really bothers me.

In the context it was used it's certainly not offensive because it refers to a transistor.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 02:11:09 am »
Yeah, I remember when I was in college too.

Welcome to the forum btw.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 02:28:59 am »
I have these discussions with my Wife and her family quite a bit. She's from Scotland, and in the UK a number of the words we use out here are seen as taboo (such as Paki in reference to the Pakistanis, or niggerhead in reference to a small vertical outcrop of reef).
I try not to use those words casually around the family, but they understand sometimes when you're in the heat of the moment they are going to come out. <shrug>

As for tranny. My grandfather used it to refer to the pocket transistor radio he carried around to listen to the footy in his later years.

Words only hurt if you let them.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 02:36:50 am »
As a word for transistor, I've never heard it used in the US, but is everyone aware of how awful it feels to be called something so dehumanizing?

Truly sorry to hear that. If you need a laugh - my name is John.

In the USA that means a toilet or customer of a prostitute. Life goes on.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 02:50:33 am »
You need to toughen yourself up.  The world is a hard place to get along in and you seem to be overly sensitive.

Maybe you should avoid this forum if little things like this are triggers to you.
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 03:20:53 am »
^ Indeed , try putting the context of the usage back in and accept there is no unsavory connotation.
As well as a the other stated shortened associations it also can refer to a transformer of the electrical type, usually the 'mains' variety.

Don't let it bother you so much.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 04:09:06 am »
Knowing the LGBTI community very well myself...

Oh Oh... you've excluded a few groups there...

LGBTI... QXYZ...

Offline CalMachine

• Frequent Contributor
  • Metrology Nut
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 04:39:20 am »
Words are nothing more than just noises your mouth makes to convey meaning and intent.  What was conveyed, other than that particular noise, that hurt your feelings?
All your volts are belong to me

Offline chriswebb

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 05:08:58 am »
Don't mean to stir up drama but no other EE channel on youtube talks like that, and it really bothers me.

Then why did you bring it up? The context of the words is more important than the specific words themselves. You need to be mindful that it is entirely your choice to be offended by others. People cannot make that choice for you. And when the context doesn't justify your offense, then you need to you re-evaluate your thinking because the problem is solely yours.

To quote Stephen Fry: "It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *bleep* what."

Taking that quote into account and knowing that precisely 0% offense was intended by the use of the word "tranny," I think you need to be honest with yourself and us about why you are really posting.
Always learning. The greatest part of life is that there will always be more to learn.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 05:18:13 am »
Be offended by the intention not the word. Words are meaningless unless we give them meaning and different people give words various meanings.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: Galenbo, imidis

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 05:33:48 am »
Even more on context.  This site originates in Australia.  The speaker is Australian.  He speaks Australian.  Which is a different language from British or American or any of the other dialects of English.

There are any number of words which are inoffensive in one or more of these dialects that are offensive in another.  So in addition to the usage for something totally unrelated to your sexual history it is another language.  Gives you an opportunity to show the understanding of another culture that you would appreciate having relative to your own situation.

Finally, I have friends in the LGBT community who actually take pride in owning the pejorative descriptions.  I assume that you are not ashamed of your sexuality.  Why would you by hurt by something that describes how you are?  Among the words that apply to me are giant, redneck, conservative, geek and brainiac.  That is an incomplete list of words that are used pejoratively by many.
Even when they are applied with an intention to hurt I don't find them offensive because I know who and what I am and am not ashamed of it.

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 05:55:18 am »
I don't find anything wrong with calling a transistor a 'Tranny' or a car transmission a 'Tranny', or anything else that starts with 'tran'.  It's just short for it. Like Bob is short for Robert, or 'TV' short for Television.   

On another note, I can see this thread getting locked soon.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:04:10 am by Falcon69 »

The following users thanked this post: Galenbo

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 05:59:05 am »
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: Galenbo, Frank, nugglix, CNe7532294

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 05:59:51 am »
<------ Serious Troll

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 06:12:19 am »

The fact that it's a first post and OP was here only 7 minutes afterwards raises suspicions. I could be wrong, but we just had free scope guy too.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:14:24 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 06:20:13 am »
I don't find anything wrong with calling a transistor a 'Tranny' or a car transmission a 'Tranny', or anything else that starts with 'tran'.  It's just short for it. Like Bob is short for Robert, or 'TV' short for Television.   

On another note, I can see this thread getting locked soon.

We had a professor who used words like this for every component  :-DD  Tranny, Schottky became Schotty (with the necessary Scotty jokes attached - e.g. this one won't fix your reactor/reactance), ground was a pitchfork, dropped the s from switch when a pitchfork was near to it, etc.

PC level of those lectures was sub zero, but they were a lot of fun since it absolutely wasn't prepared. ;D

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 06:35:36 am »
tranny -> transistor
tranny -> transformer

you know, words can have different meanings :)

somebody dig up the article of that guy that proposes to abolish the "master-slave" concept in chip communication :palm:

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 06:36:33 am »
Could someone please publish a list of English words that we can use without offending anyone at all? It should be a simple task considering that there are so few of them these days...

somebody dig up the article of that guy that proposes to abolish the "master-slave" concept in chip communication :palm:
Not that exactly, but similar:
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/22667
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:41:27 am by daqq »
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 06:43:22 am »
if your lifestyle hurts feelings , heart or maybe your lungs
maybe it's time to quit.    snowflake   political correctness is BS
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 06:53:45 am »
a hateful and vitriolic word

You are assuming intent. Its not a "hateful"word, the way words are used can be hateful tho!

Also, INB4 this thread is locked. I give it another 12 hours.  ;D

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 07:13:02 am »
a hateful and vitriolic word

You are assuming intent. Its not a "hateful"word, the way words are used can be hateful tho!

Also, INB4 this thread is locked. I give it another 12 hours.  ;D

I give it until someone draws a "tranny spectrum" with a transistor on the left, transformer in the centre, and drag queen/transvestite at the right.

But there are loads of words like this in every language. For example, in Dutch we have "Chinees Vrijwilliger", or Chinese volunteer in English. Just means that person has been "volunteered" against his wishes by someone else. Is it offensive to Chinese people, yes, but at this point it's such a common expression that you're no longer able to remove it from the language. And honestly, should the non-racist use be banned simply because one idiot uses it intentionally to insult someone? The road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Offline cgroen

• Supporter
    • Carstens personal web
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 07:23:55 am »
Today it seems that no matter what word you say, someone will be offended.
(guess black, white, yellow and red wires soon will be abandoned...)
Get over it and don't be so thin-skinned

The following users thanked this post: daqq

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 07:39:27 am »
I'm guessing the OP was a troll all along.

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 07:41:56 am »

Dont you mean thinly insulated?  ;D

We need neutral wires! Oh wait...those are white...this will surely offend someone.  ;D

Offline cgroen

• Supporter
    • Carstens personal web
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2017, 07:43:27 am »

Dont you mean thinly insulated?  ;D

We need neutral wires! Oh wait...those are white...this will surely offend someone.  ;D

:-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Why is the word &quot;tr*nny&quot; so popular here?
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 08:02:21 am »
It's an unfortunate name space collision - 'tranny' is a just a 'pet name' for transistor radio, and also transistors, a bit like "teevee" for television. Definitely no malice intended. I don't think anybody puts one and one together.

IMO I think it is something to do with Australia - all long words have to get shortened to minimize the chances of swallowing a gnat or a spider or maybe a kangaroo.
Over here in the UK it's used to reference a transformer. Fact is that to avoid possibility of offending people new words would be needed for transistors, transformers etc that could not be shortened or construed by anyone anywhere in the world as being offensive. An impossible task, people should not be so touchy about word's but instead concentrate on the context in which the word is used.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2017, 08:12:43 am »
I'm guessing the OP was a troll all along.
1 post by the account would suggest so.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2017, 08:20:05 am »
Being a trans EE student in the states, it really hurts ...
Hey, I don't care how you feel, I don't care if you're offended. It doesn't give you rights or the privilege to get special treatment.
Show your schematic or get lost.

I start to understand now why that kind of Humans are not wanted in the Army.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:25:25 am by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

The following users thanked this post: Connoiseur

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 09:17:41 am »

To be fair, "those kind of humans" (I presume you mean transgender people) are no more "abnormal" or sensitive than you and I. I know several and they are great people. You'll occasionally come across those who are hyper-sensitive or have a different view of the world, but that's no reason to pigeon-hole everyone.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of army you run there, but nothing can be further from the truth in Australia. There have been some high-ranking officers who are trans, gay, lesbian etc... who have made great contributions, most people in the Australian Army, Navy and Air Force couldn't care less about who you are or what your personal life involves. The same can be said for our Police, Fire and Ambulance services.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:20:16 am by Halcyon »

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 09:21:28 am »
Your representation is exactly how I see them too.
But still, the kind of opening posts like this, makes me start to understand why they are not wanted in the Army.
I do not understand your pigeon-hole expression, piece by piece translation gives nothing in my language.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:27:22 am by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2017, 09:26:22 am »

To be fair, "those kind of humans" (I presume you mean transgender people) are no more "abnormal" or sensitive than you and I. I know several and they are great people. You'll occasionally come across those who are hyper-sensitive or have a different view of the world, but that's no reason to pigeon-hole everyone.
This is one of the problems many minority groups face: a small minority of them are overly sensitive, which reinforces stereotypes.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2017, 09:31:47 am »
This is one of the problems many minority groups face: a small minority of them are overly sensitive, which reinforces stereotypes.
Could it be that minority groups are undermined on purpose this way ?

In my neighborhood, the gays I know for example are hard working people who pay attention to their savings and property,
while the ones I see on television cry for the right to put feathers in their ass, and want other people's money to pay for their hobbies.

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2017, 09:33:49 am »
Well not exactly the same kind of issue, but in Israel, the word "Pin" - outside of technical contexts - usually means "penis", so when talking about ICs one is bound to get some immature giggles from the audience  ::)
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2017, 09:35:11 am »

The following users thanked this post: Galenbo, wraper, JPortici, CNe7532294

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2017, 09:38:45 am »
 :bullshit: Triggered

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2017, 09:43:52 am »
OK, OK, this ends here. The complaint is about a word that is used as short hand for a number of things. It's a pointless discussion here on what is a world wide stage where same words have different meanings to different people based on country before we start to look at the subject matter under discussion. Here we discuss electronics and in that context a "tranny" is always shorthand for transistor the same as "pot" is short hand for potentiometer and not drugs. If people can't understand context then they should not begin a discussion.

The following users thanked this post: Dataforensics, tooki, cgroen, Specmaster, CNe7532294

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2017, 09:44:15 am »
Being a trans EE student in the states, it really hurts every time I'm thoroughly enjoying one of dave's vids and out of nowhere such a hateful and vitriolic word gets thrown around so casually. As a word for transistor, I've never heard it used in the US

Congratulations, you just learned something. Words are used in many different contexts in many different parts of the world.
You'll just have to deal with that.
You know very well that I'm not talking about trans people, so why get upset about it?
There are many trans people on this forum and in my viewership who don't have a problem with it because they, like you, know very well I am not talking about trans people.
You'll live a much better and happier life if you stop taking things so personally (and in this case, completely incorrectly and out of context)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf