General > General Technical Chat

Win XP PRO SP3 as external event logger

(1/7) > >>

soldar:
I would like to use a an old PC to log events like closing of switches. Very simple requirements. Log, in a text file, time and change in switch status.

First problem to resolve is how to get the info to the PC.  I have a PC with two serial DB9 connectors. That seems to me like the simplest way to interface. I would have no problem building some external electronics if needed or buying something inexpensive. I suppose if I am going to get an external interface it could also be USB.

What software can I find that would do this? I am looking for something simple, quick and dirty.

metrologist:
I would attach an Arduino with some sensors to your switches. Then Arduino could write the data to serial and you could use PuTTy to capture the serial data to a log file.

soldar:
I am not familiar with Arduino and it is more effort than I can put into this. I am hoping for a very simple, low cost board or interface, be it RS232 serial or USB that will monitor some switches and log any changes.

I guess it would need some software.

Come to think about it controlling one or two outputs would be nice although not strictly necessary at this point.

Another thing that would be nice is the ability to send an email on any input change.

I would think this would be something relatively common but I do not even know what words to search for.

MrMobodies:
I know of something similar to measure voltage of serial battery chargers but can be altered by the device templates.

Logview (Free):
http://www.logview.info/forum/index.php?pages/home/

V2 logs all but only displays one sensor at a time.
It has a built in web server that can be turned on.

V3 Studio requires Net Framework 4, installs Mysql and has stability issues.

I don't think it does email.

digsys:
These are a few methods I use / used for many years -
1/ Deluxe method - sensoriumembedded.com/products.htm  up to 24in, other devices that do I/O + analogue .. everything sent to HID .. then from there -
https://joytokey.net/en/    redirect / modify the Inputs to any keyboard command to any program. All done for you and extremely flexible.
2/ Write direct to an LPT port (buffered) - I do it on XP3 very often. I may still even have buffered / decoded LPT IO pcbs somewhere.
That gives you 8in (and/or op) plus a few LPT control lines. 378h - 37Fh , 278h - 27Fh
3/ Write direct to a serial port. 3F8 , 2F8   , 3E8 , 2E8. You get about 2-3 in / 2-3 op lines. Or make up a simple command to IO decoder. I may even have some
of those around.
4/ Various other hardware ports. Back in the XP3 days, we could easily write / read direct from literally any M/Board IC :-)
I'll see what I have around in the next day or 2

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version