Author Topic: Windows 10 crashing when Amazon device connected  (Read 4899 times)

Offline gamalotTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
Windows 10 crashing when Amazon device connected
« on: August 31, 2016, 04:33:27 am »
Not my Kindle, not my Fire phone, it's my new Amazon Basics USB Hub!!!  |O |O |O
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:35:18 am by gamalot »

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
Re: Windows 10 crashing when Amazon device connected
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:40:15 am »
Uhm, you did read the Win10 EULA, didn't you...?

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 01:42:25 pm »
Uhm, you did read the Win10 EULA, didn't you...?

No I didn't, it's too difficult to a non-English speaker.  :'(

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 03:08:18 pm »
Native English speakers don't read it either.  In any event, I don't know why it would matter.

I have a Surface Book running Win 10 and a 7 port + 3 charger powered USB hub from Anker and it has always worked just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-10-Port-Transfer-PowerIQ-Charging/dp/B00VDVCQ84/ref=sr_1_1

I was also using this Amazon Basics Hub on a Win 10 box but I gave it to my wife for her Surface PRO:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-USB-Power-Adapter/dp/B00DQFGJR4/ref=sr_1_1

Which hub are you using?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 03:49:40 pm »
I read the Windows 10 agreement and it convinced me to stick with Windows 7 and to start switching machines over to Linux.

If you're one of those people that don't give a fat rat about privacy or other people having access to your digital existence, and don't care if Microsoft has near total control over your devices and data, then reading it would probably have been a waste of time. Otherwise you might want to do some reading.

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+10+agreement

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 04:30:30 pm »
I read the Windows 10 agreement and it convinced me to stick with Windows 7 and to start switching machines over to Linux.

If you're one of those people that don't give a fat rat about privacy or other people having access to your digital existence, and don't care if Microsoft has near total control over your devices and data, then reading it would probably have been a waste of time. Otherwise you might want to do some reading.

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+10+agreement

All of which has exactly what to do with the USB Hub problem?  You remember, the OP's actual problem.

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 05:27:15 pm »
Native English speakers don't read it either.  In any event, I don't know why it would matter.

I have a Surface Book running Win 10 and a 7 port + 3 charger powered USB hub from Anker and it has always worked just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-10-Port-Transfer-PowerIQ-Charging/dp/B00VDVCQ84/ref=sr_1_1

I was also using this Amazon Basics Hub on a Win 10 box but I gave it to my wife for her Surface PRO:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-USB-Power-Adapter/dp/B00DQFGJR4/ref=sr_1_1

Which hub are you using?

I am using the AmazonBasics 10 ports USB 2.0 hub, actually I really wanted their USB 3.0 hub but they are temporarily out of stock.   :(

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 05:35:35 pm »
So many people whinging about Windows 10 and privacy issues yet probably have a credit card, have a bank account, or even have any line of credit at all. Bet you really have no idea whatsoever the data banks, phone companies, the government et al have on you.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 05:48:03 pm »
Look at this:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/kindle-crashes-and-broken-powershell-something-isnt-right-with-windows-10-testing/

Interesting article!  The author obviously gets paid by the word...

There is just no way that Microsoft can test against ALL of the possible peripherals.  Even the 'insiders' don't have all possibilities.  There will be problems at the borders.

OP, are you using the power adapter?  I wouldn't expect an overload on the USB port to crash the system but I haven't tested every system.

The addition of the Windows Subsystem For Linux is a great feature of the new 'anniversary' edition of Win 10.

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 06:15:48 pm »
Look at this:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/kindle-crashes-and-broken-powershell-something-isnt-right-with-windows-10-testing/

Interesting article!  The author obviously gets paid by the word...

There is just no way that Microsoft can test against ALL of the possible peripherals.  Even the 'insiders' don't have all possibilities.  There will be problems at the borders.

OP, are you using the power adapter?  I wouldn't expect an overload on the USB port to crash the system but I haven't tested every system.

The addition of the Windows Subsystem For Linux is a great feature of the new 'anniversary' edition of Win 10.

It doesn't matter if I use it with or without the power adapter, actually it will crash even I connect it over another USB hub.  :-//
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 06:17:21 pm by gamalot »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 06:33:11 pm »
Maybe you just got a reject!  You would think the simplest things would work right out of the box.  Does the hub work on any other computer?

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 08:10:33 pm »
Maybe you just got a reject!  You would think the simplest things would work right out of the box.  Does the hub work on any other computer?

Yes, it works very well on my laptop and another desktop PC, both of them have Windows 10 installed.  |O

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 08:14:34 pm »
When you say it crashes, do you get any kind of error code or message, or are we talking about a hard lock-up?

The following users thanked this post: gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 10:40:24 pm »
When you say it crashes, do you get any kind of error code or message, or are we talking about a hard lock-up?

I've plugged the hub again and taken this picture.

Yes, you are so right! There are error messages and I didn't even noticed.  :palm:

The file bhound7.sys belongs to Perisoft's Bus Hound, I have a free version 6.01 installed on my PC.

Thank you so much!!!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:44:47 pm by gamalot »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 10:51:50 pm »
Yeah looks like that Bus Hound I/O Capture driver is a bit upset. Uninstall it and let us know how you go.

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2016, 11:21:55 pm »
Yeah looks like that Bus Hound I/O Capture driver is a bit upset. Uninstall it and let us know how you go.

I have already uninstalled it and the hub works now.

In theory, USB hub should be transparent to Windows system running in virtual machine, I will try it later.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf