Author Topic: Windows is getting disgusting  (Read 214006 times)

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
Re: Windows is getting disgusting
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2016, 09:12:31 am »
What I would like to know is how Microsoft is getting away with this behavior? It is illegal,...
Just throw some millions to Hillary and Rubio.
They will define what is legal, or is seen as legal, or is prioritised as illegal.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:26:31 am by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2016, 09:23:56 am »
... The only solution to Windows is some other operating system and Linux (in whatever flavour suits) is a perfectly valid alternative for almost everyone.

Just a few weeks ago I built a skylake machine and installed Ubuntu Mate 15:10. A few minor tweaks and it's rock solid, no worries.
And it boots in <9 seconds.
I did that too, works fine to open facebook and print a letter.

But I also want Sketchup + Diptrace + Mouse driver + Saleae LogicAnalyser + Rigol screenshot + Labview + Photoshop + some Embedded C compilers + Epub reader + Wireshark + Teamviewer + Eid + No-Ip Server + MyIPcam extension for my browser ...

Sure for everything "exists" an alternative or solution, but then you have the wrong distro or the wrong installer or the wrong version.
Or you get a linuxised version of a program that remembers me to windows 3.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2016, 09:37:13 am »
Yep. The show stopper for my is that Linux printing really sucks. I'm used to QImage for printing high quality photographs, no alternative.

Offline HAL-42b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2016, 09:39:32 am »
I did that too, works fine to open facebook and print a letter.

But I also want Sketchup + Diptrace + Mouse driver + Saleae LogicAnalyser + Rigol screenshot + Labview + Photoshop + some Embedded C compilers + Epub reader + Wireshark + Teamviewer + Eid + No-Ip Server + MyIPcam extension for my browser ...

Sure for everything "exists" an alternative or solution, but then you have the wrong distro or the wrong installer or the wrong version.
Or you get a linuxised version of a program that remembers me to windows 3.

This is like being in an abusive relationship and looking for excuses not to divorce.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2016, 09:57:40 am »
This is like being in an abusive relationship and looking for excuses not to divorce.

The only solution to permanently get rid of the (limited) abuse, is become/staying single...
:-)

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2016, 10:08:37 am »
Hackintoshing is another alternative many people don't consider. Now days it's fairly easy and OS X is a great OS. About the only thing that reports back to the mothership is the Spotlight because it searches the Web, but you can disable that easily (it's just a checkbox).

MS has enjoyed their desktop monopoly for far too long. All most people want is a slim OS that acts like XP did, with some updated modern features. MS has been making dick moves since Vista, but people still buy into it. Inertia is a helluva thing. If you're a gamer than you're pretty much stuck. DirectX has that on lockdown.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:13:33 am by Muxr »

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2016, 11:58:20 am »
"Windows is getting disgusting "

The solution is simple: don't use Windows.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline rickselectricalprojects

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2016, 08:57:06 am »
Linux is great until you try to print something out...

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2016, 12:16:18 pm »

Or just use the version before it started "getting disgusting"...

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2016, 02:29:44 pm »

Not much is compatible with Windows 3.11 though...
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2016, 02:52:52 pm »

Not much is compatible with Windows 3.11 though...

Windows 3.11 ... ?

Blooooooooody luuuxury, I tell you.

We had to get up in the morning, half an hour before we went to bed, work 29 hours a day down at mill, then come home to Windows 3.1.......

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2016, 03:00:52 pm »
 You had it easy then. Back in my day you didn't even get Windows. No MS-DOS either. If you wanted a program in your computer, you typed it in by hand, on a hex keypad. ANd there was no way to save it when you turned the power off (or it went out).

I just threw out a set of Windows 3.11 floppies.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2016, 03:03:42 pm »
We dreamed of having a hex keypad!!

All we had was a pair of toggle switches that we had to wire up to enter machine code in binary two bits at a time.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2016, 03:07:13 pm »
 You had TOGGLE SWITCHES? All we had were phone plugs and a big patch panel.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2016, 03:09:51 pm »
When I say toggle switches, I mean they were two bent nails and a rusty coffee tin that we shaped into toggle switches!!

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2016, 03:11:48 pm »
You had patch panels? All we had were rooms full of women with mechanical calculators!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2016, 03:13:24 pm »
Our calculators were our toes!

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2016, 03:17:34 pm »
 :-DD :-DD

I actually DID have nail and coffee tin switches - besides Legos (and in my day we had only various size rectangular bricks, none of this fancy formed shape stuff!) my other favorite 'toy' was a box full of lantern batteries, lights, and home made switches. My blanket forts had working lights in them. Even though our camper was a simple tent on wheels type, with no electric or anything, we always had a light. It all kid of went by the wayside once I got old enough for the various Radio Shack (Tandy) experimenter kits and I discovered the rest of electronics. But is it any wonder I went for an EE degree - it's what I wanted from the moment I learned what a college degree was and what someone who worked with electronics did.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2016, 03:24:27 pm »
... Try telling that to the kids of today - and they won't believe you!

(I do)

Offline xarragon

Nagware and spyware, now core part of Windows!
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2016, 09:57:47 pm »
In early 2000 "spyware" and "adware" was something clueless computer users caught by mistake and that had to be removed. It was something bad. Today it is apparently such a vital part of the "Windows Experience" that it is built right into the OS, including the nagging! Android, by contrast, has always had this crap. But it is possible to disable and it is a cellphone. And a cellphone has never really belonged to you as much as being part of the carrier's network. Carriers own "your" SIM card and can remotely install and run applications on it, as well as sometimes on the phone. But as the two converges all of the bad stuff from cellphones seems to creep over into the computer; the touch UI:s, the locked boot loaders (Secure Boot) and now the constant surveillance.

Myself I am less affected as I run Linux full-time except for some games since at least 10 years back. I don't like Apple products either but they generally serve their users well (not me) and doesn't have a vested interest in violating your privacy. If I was still using Windows I would feel betrayed though; this is my PC, not some overpriced, carrier-locked device that you have to bully people into buying.. So that once they're paying a total of $2000 for that privilege, spending $100 per year in the app store seems rational; to get the most out of it.

And this loss of trust is troublesome, because if they are prepared to start treating their existing, paying customers like your average online advertisement network does.. How will they use their power over Secure Boot, the keys to the boot process? Already, the previously mandatory disable option has been made optional for the latest version. To prevent "the Windows XP fiasco" where none upgraded, they could lock out previous Windows versions as well as all third-party OS:es.

And the Linux world is far from perfect. In an effort to "simplify" it large parts of it has become unnecessarily complex, with badly engineered solutions that starts to look like Microsoft Windows under the hood. Applications like Firefox are integrating "sponsorware" and is removing privacy-enhanching features. And in the light of the second Crypto Wars we need confidence in our own devices more than ever.

Offline HAL-42b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2016, 10:28:47 pm »
There are increasing attacks on Linux. Sabotage, subversion, Linus Torvalds has been served a National Security Letter, Ian Murdock died under suspicious circumstances after encounter with the police...

Somebody does not want this Open Source thing any more and is ready to remove the velvet glove.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2016, 10:42:21 pm »

There are increasing attacks on Linux. Sabotage, subversion, Linus Torvalds has been served a National Security Letter, Ian Murdock died under suspicious circumstances after encounter with the police...

Somebody does not want this Open Source thing any more and is ready to remove the velvet glove.

Ian Murdock was drunk, trying to break into a house and police detained him while they investigated; whereby he started smashing his head into the metal cage in the back of the cruiser. An ambulance was called and he fought with the EMTs and was taken to the hospital to have a cut on his forehead stitched up. He was then released and *went back* to the same house and again tried to break in. Police responded, he was taken to jail and thrown in the drunk tank. He was released that morning, where he went home and a few days later offed himself.

There's not some big conspiracy here. If the government wanted him dead, he would just disappear or have an "accident" or something. No, in this case, Ian had either a substance abuse problem or was an EDP. No police brutality. No assassination. Nothing.

Offline HAL-42b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2016, 11:21:12 pm »
You seem very certain about the sequence of events around that death.

Surely you must have explanations for other deaths too.

Aaron Swartz, hacker, decided to kill himself out of boredom.
Barnaby Jack, hacker, just checked out without explanation, how rude.
Josh Greenberg, pirate, definitely not foul play or suicide, pinky promise.
Jonathan James, hacker, decided to shoot himself because he missed his childhood days spent in prison.

These are just the hackers... I don't even get into the political ones.

Offline HAL-42b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2016, 01:16:04 am »
I would agree that Reiser was locked in for his crimes. 

However we still have Nils Torvalds testifying in front of the European Parliament and every other indication that Linus has indeed received a National Security Letter.

Offline grifftech

• Frequent Contributor
    • youtube channel
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2016, 02:09:24 am »
no way to close the upgrade nag on windows 7

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf