Author Topic: Wire Shelves for the Lab - Chrome vs Stainless Steel  (Read 7314 times)

Offline jpbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Wire Shelves for the Lab - Chrome vs Stainless Steel
« on: October 23, 2017, 09:40:19 pm »
I've been looking at getting wire shelving units for my lab/study - I've seen them used in quite of lot in photos of labs on this forum.

There seems to be two options - chrome plated which is relatively cheap, and stainless steel which is very, very expensive (roughly 3.5 times the price of chrome plated!)

https://www.esedirect.co.uk/p-2066-eclipse-chrome-wire-shelving-with-4-shelves.aspx
https://www.esedirect.co.uk/p-4429-stainless-steel-wire-shelving.aspx

Has anyone been extravagant enough to use stainless steel or does everyone stick with chrome?
As my lab is in the house rather than the garage, I want something that looks ok and will stay looking ok for say 10 years or so. It also has to be tough enough to be loaded up with things like heavy linear power supplies.

Offline alpher

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Wire Shelves for the Lab - Chrome vs Stainless Steel
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 09:42:51 pm »
There is a third option, epoxy coated, looks nicer IMHO.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 09:52:07 pm »
Chrome and epoxy coated will go rusty in damp environments (bathroom, garage). But in dry environments indoors I would expect them to last fine.

Online AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 10:47:25 pm »
I recently "upgraded" my wire shelving for a larger and more robust type. The holes in the mesh where approximately 50x100mm.
The hardware store where I bought them from also sold very long and quite wide slabs of 15mm thick MDF fiber board for only $24AUD which they cut to size for free. Sprayed them black and now I can put small things on these shelves as well :-+

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:57:28 pm »
I've considered getting a door skin and cutting it to fit my black epoxy coated wire rack shelving. 

My choice for shelving was based on cost (free due to reward points).  >:D

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 10:57:47 pm »
I bought chrome plated steel shelves ages ago at a liquidation sale. They've been very sturdy and handy, but are definitely rusted and shabby looking now. Do I wish I spent 3x as much on stainless? Maybe, because they were a good, secondhand deal anyway, but I got good use out of them.

If they're going to be inside in a dry location, agree that chrome is OK, though the white or black plastic (or epoxy) coated shelves are nicer for in-house usage.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 11:13:23 pm »
I have one set this size and one smaller, though I didn't get mine from Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honey-Can-Do-18-in-x-36-in-x-72-in-350-lbs-5-Tier-Wire-Shelves-SHF-06831/300532519

All mine are painted black. One set is going on 20 years old and still looks fine. These are great for storing larger items and stuff in boxes. The shelves are somewhat springy and wider ones do sag if heavily loaded.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 01:04:46 am »
I have one set this size and one smaller, though I didn't get mine from Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honey-Can-Do-18-in-x-36-in-x-72-in-350-lbs-5-Tier-Wire-Shelves-SHF-06831/300532519

All mine are painted black. One set is going on 20 years old and still looks fine. These are great for storing larger items and stuff in boxes. The shelves are somewhat springy and wider ones do sag if heavily loaded.

I have something similar from Home Depot that are chrome.  1 in my office and 1 in the garage, 8 years old maybe and look just like new.  1 shelf on the unit in the office has a piece of scrap concrete board on it as I keep a lot of books on it.  No sagging on any of the shelves.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 02:00:54 am »
PM sent.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 03:29:13 am »
I got the chrome plated steel version; it's holding up well so far.  (Granted it's in a dry location)  To make the shelves more 'small part' friendly, I cut 2 x 4 foot sheets of 1/8" thick tempered hardboard to fit; that gives a nice smooth surface and is well supported by the fairly dense wire beneath it.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 03:36:02 am »
It's not really the shelf that sags, the parts that form the sides are actually pretty strong, but the wires that run side to side and front to back, which form the "surface" of the shelf do flex a little. If I put something heavy in the center, whatever is on either side will have a noticeable inward tilt.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 04:03:33 am »
I got the chrome plated steel version; it's holding up well so far.  (Granted it's in a dry location)  To make the shelves more 'small part' friendly, I cut 2 x 4 foot sheets of 1/8" thick tempered hardboard to fit; that gives a nice smooth surface and is well supported by the fairly dense wire beneath it.

-Pat
It sounds like buying real shelves makes sense.

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 05:54:04 am »
I gave up on wire and metal shelving as an option. Wire sucks if you put anything with feet on it, it's also see through so looks really messy, especially with cabling, plus doesn't hold weight well. Metal shelving tends to buckle in the middle under weight also (mostly cheap shelves) and looks like crap when scratched and will eventually rust.

I chose particle board. It is strong and way cheaper but not water resistant. A conductive linoleum covering seems like a good solution to put test equipment on, then easy to clean and ground. Particle board needs a steel frame for support it's not so suitable for wall mounted shelves.

Has anyone been extravagant enough to use stainless steel or does everyone stick with chrome?

That is hideously expensive for less than that I have about 6x the shelf space.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:11:17 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 06:43:10 am »
The other week I noticed quite a few of those chrome mesh shelves being sold at the local recycle centre and then later saw them again at the local Kmart store where they had an array of various sizes, I did think about grabbing some just to store things like shoes, boots and buckets near the back door. I have multiple Dexion style racks in the workshop which use 1800 x 600 x 16mm melamine sheves (laminate over particle board) which have served me well for nearly twenty years.

I wouldn't bother with the stainless steel frames particularly at those prices unless you live alongside the sea or in a corrosive environment, even then there are various grades of stainless steel and some can still rust as quickly as steel, from memory 316 is mainly used for marine applications and other grades are for food preparation and so on, anyway something else to watch out for.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 07:27:41 am »
I haven't had any issues with weight on the metro-style adjustable wire shelves.  They're rated for 300 lb/shelf, and are holding 100-200 lb each in HP boatanchors alone.  (I'm surprised the casters haven't punched though the floor.)  The shelves have a central brace running across them as well (visible in bottom pic), and I see no noticeable bowing.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline jpbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 05:44:54 pm »
Thank you for your responses everyone. Though I've not received your PM nanofrog yet.

My initial plan with shelves was to go with nice oak shelving (as this is a study rather than a lab) but the price for that was even more than the stainless steel option!

The annoyance factor of feet going through the mesh and it being hard to hide wires are good points - I'd thought of having a power-strip such as are used in computer racks and wondered if the wiring could be put through the uprights of the shelves without giving rise to a rust spot and a weak point or perhaps normal conduit wouldn't be too intrusive.
I wouldn't keep small parts on them without using Really Useful boxes (I have most of my junk in such boxes). The shelves would be used either for instruments or for stuff in boxes. I have a lot of book shelves elsewhere in the house so I probably wouldn't need to keep books on them.

It is hard to make electronics anything other than slightly ugly unless you confine yourself to vintage wood and brass instruments!

The plus points of wire shelves in my mind was that they are minimalist  and look quite good in the photos I've seen of other's labs. They can be earthed to avoid static (though should they be earthed via a 1Mohm resistor or directly?) and they are strong. Also the holes does allow air flow for cooling which will be good for things like power supplies.

I did look at the steel and fibreboard racking type shelves which are very strong but the room is small and I think they would dominate and be a little too industrial (I'm sounding like tv-makeover interior designer ::) ). The other thing was the waiting time on the ones I liked is something like 45 days!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:00:39 pm by jpb »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 05:56:33 pm »
Though I've not received your PM nanofrog yet.
Sorry for any confusion as it was for GreyWoolfe.

Offline jpbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 06:01:22 pm »
Though I've not received your PM nanofrog yet.
Sorry for any confusion as it was for GreyWoolfe.
OK - that explains it. Thanks.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 06:12:49 pm »
it being hard to hide wires are good points - I'd thought of having a power-strip such as are used in computer racks and wondered if the wiring could be put through the uprights of the shelves without giving rise to a rust spot and a weak point or perhaps normal conduit wouldn't be too intrusive.
When you've reduced the visual clutter to the point that a power cable will be an eyesore, you've already won the game! Banish the idea of running the power cord inside the uprights. You're not doing a museum installation. ;)

Run the cord along the upright with black zip ties [or velcro] or, if you want to get fancy, run it and other cables inside some split loom tubing (you pick the diameter) and velcro that loosely to the upright.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 06:19:24 pm »
it being hard to hide wires are good points - I'd thought of having a power-strip such as are used in computer racks and wondered if the wiring could be put through the uprights of the shelves without giving rise to a rust spot and a weak point or perhaps normal conduit wouldn't be too intrusive. When you've reduced the visual clutter to the point that a power cable will be an eyesore, you've already won the game! Banish the idea of running the power cord inside the uprights. You're not doing a museum installation. ;)

Run the cord along the upright with black zip ties [or velcro] or, if you want to get fancy, run it and other cables inside some split loom tubing (you pick the diameter) and velcro that loosely to the upright.
Neatly tucking away cables always bites, as you invariably have to untuck them soon, due to some unforeseen reason or defect.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:06:35 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 08:25:07 pm »
Neatly tucking away cables always bites, as you invariably have to untuck them soon, due to some unforeseen reason or defect.
Perhaps test the power cord before concealing it. Unfortunately I'm not kidding (i.e. L and N were swapped during manufacture).

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 08:28:13 pm »
Perhaps test the power cord before concealing it. Unfortunately I'm not kidding (i.e. L and N were swapped during manufacture).
It doesn't matter. The neater you hide things away, the sooner you will need to undo it all.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 11:12:12 pm »
[

THIS!!!! I have given  up making the wires neat here in the office.  More than once, I spent an inordinate amount of time tucking, tie wrapping, securing and neatening the myriad of wires throughout my office and workbench only a week later having to undo everything to get 1 wire out on something that failed or was upgraded.  They can hang all over the place now.  As long as I don't catch a foot or other appendage and pull a cable out, I'm good.  Thankfully, my office is dedicated space and no one really comes out here but me and the lab dogs.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 09:42:24 am »
Label both ends of the cables (power, USB and so on), I've lost count of the times I spent tracing bunched cables trying to figure which one is which!

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 08:20:44 pm »
I have no trouble tracing cable, I've done enough of that at customer sites. That's not the issue, it's undoing everything.  I did it enough over the years, both at home and at work, that I can't be arsed at home any longer.  Now, the wiring in the house for entertainment, etc?  Different story.  Everything is nice and neat as that is common space shared by everyone.  All wires are neat in the bedroom also as SWMBO is OCD about it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf