Author Topic: Wish to bring electric toy cars to market  (Read 8242 times)

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: Wish to bring electric toy cars to market
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 01:18:41 am »
They dodge taxes on their profit, not customs duty.

In the end it's the same: Look Tim, dear, you'll just pay this/here and we'll discount that/there, see my friend? And Mario Puzo wrote "Michael, I had other plans for you"  >:D
It's completely different beast. You can legally shift your profits abroad somewhere where you don't need to pay high taxes. You cannot legally not pay customs duties to the country into which you are importing goods.
Also there is a type of fraud to dodge VAT when company which bought stuff asks for VAT return but company which sold stuff goes poof before paying VAT to the country. That very likely in the end will put you in jail as well.

The following users thanked this post: ocset

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 02:21:51 am »
It's completely different beast. You can legally shift your profits abroad somewhere where you don't need to pay high taxes. You cannot legally not pay customs duties to the country into which you are importing goods.
Also there is a type of fraud to dodge VAT when company which bought stuff asks for VAT return but company which sold stuff goes poof before paying VAT to the country. That very likely in the end will put you in jail as well.
I assume there are loopholes, but those are unlikely to be available to mortals.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 02:36:30 am »
If I understand this correctly, the OP is literally asking us how to set up a smuggling company to knowingly defraud his own government? Simultaneously asking how to avoid customs, stating that customs doesn't care, and stating that everyone does it?

As I recall, this is the same poster that has in the past complained about legal requirements in the lighting industry that the competition does not always follow.

Ironic, no?

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 09:28:33 am »
There are legal ways (morally and ethically dubious) of reducing the sum you pay to the R part but the C part of HMRC is a part you do not want to mess with, they have some heavy duty powers which can exceed those of the police and if you find yourself in their gaze you will wish you had never met your dodgy friend. 

See if you can find customs seizure auctions, you may discover some very interesting things about their powers from the pictures of the auction lots.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 09:36:38 am »
If I understand this correctly, the OP is literally asking us how to set up a smuggling company to knowingly defraud his own government? Simultaneously asking how to avoid customs, stating that customs doesn't care, and stating that everyone does it?

As I recall, this is the same poster that has in the past complained about legal requirements in the lighting industry that the competition does not always follow.

Ironic, no?
I think he's asking for loopholes, which are almost by definition legal. They could be considered immoral, though.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 11:09:56 am »
The 292V remark was a joke about another thread.

Yes, anything imported into the UK, from China incurs the same tariff charges, as any other part of the EU, until Brexit, which might change that.

Of course everything you import has to comply with the safety and environmental relevant standards. If a child is injured or killed, because their toy car caught fire, because it didn't have a thermal fuse in the battery charger or the battery caught fire, then it's your fault and you can face manslaughter charges.

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 11:29:05 am »
And the ONE THING that trading standards **ALWAYS** have time for is safety problems in toys, other things not so much, but you sell a toy with a fire risk or small removable part, or plastic that contains something it shouldn't, and you will get all kinds of stick for it.

Product recalls and destroying all the product (as WEEE) will kill any profit you might have made, and if the customs get involved (And trading standards are quite happy to ask them to become involved) you could be looking at BIG personal liability.

Regards, Dan.

Offline ocsetTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2018, 07:28:42 pm »
Thankyou but the regulations of safety started out well, but then got corrupted by big corporations who use them to shut smaller rivals out of the market.

..just look at grenfell, it was started by a fridge, but the fridge maker never got fined.......and why , if it really is all about safety, then why is the faulty schematic not published on the web so we can all see how not to do it....i guess they relly dont care if grenfell happens again.

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 07:44:49 pm »
That fridge probably complied with the rules (Which are being looked at fairly closely), the cladding actually probably also complied for certain uses, that one maybe, maybe not.

The lesson to take away is that rules are specific, and that provided you comply with them they act as a somewhat useful shield in court.

If you are looking to import a million quids worth (at wholesale) of toys, spending 25k or so to get TUV or UL or Intertek or whoever to certify them as compliant with the appropriate standards should not be a big deal, providing they do comply with the standards. 

Seriously, certification costs are just not a big deal if you are doing that sort of volume.

I work for a small UK owned electronics company, turnover <£10M (The kind you keep saying don't exist anymore), and this stuff has never stopped us yet. 

Regards, Dan.

Offline mac.6

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 12:48:23 pm »
Look at TÜV/PIP scandal, still not resolved in court after years of various trials...

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 04:14:35 pm »
Here's a different approach. If the only way you can make money on product X is by scamming the system, perhaps it is not worth doing this business. You should be able to still make a reasonable enough profit and sell enough product, safely, abiding by all regulations and government import regulations, etc... to make it worthwhile. Perhaps sell a different toy, one with added value? One with larger margins? Or market it to a different demographic or in combination with a kit or to people who want to self-assemble?

You shouldn't have to put your life (or your customers) in danger for this business. If price is the only thing you can possibly compete on and your competition is already doing all this illegal mumbo-jumbo, then you'd be better off whistleblowing the competition than joining their ranks. Just my $0.02.
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2018, 06:14:09 pm »
Honestly Treez?

Using the deaths of 72 people to attempt to justify your tawdry little scam?

Beneath contempt.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, ocset

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • I like vacuum tubes. Electrons exist, holes don't.
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2018, 05:35:13 pm »
A Chinese friend ( he was a coursemate on my electronics degree course)

I assume he, unlike you, completed his?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2018, 06:18:57 pm »
Thankyou but the regulations of safety started out well, but then got corrupted by big corporations who use them to shut smaller rivals out of the market.

..just look at grenfell, it was started by a fridge, but the fridge maker never got fined.......and why , if it really is all about safety, then why is the faulty schematic not published on the web so we can all see how not to do it....i guess they relly dont care if grenfell happens again.
Because it's not proven the fridge was faulty and even if it was, it would have only been one burnt out flat, if it wasn't for the dangerous cladding.

Offline Koen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2018, 08:35:36 pm »
as an electronics engineer i have designed a vast array of useless items which wouldnt sell at a profit...

Haven't we all, treez. Haven't we all...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2018, 07:18:22 am »
Honestly Treez?
Beneath contempt.
Sorry but i believe we must talk of such things in order to have it not happen again.
We would not  allow cars that could catch fire.
I was just pointing out that the elec regs have often been used by the large corporations to make it more difficult for smaller competitors to get into the market....which is horrendous when you consider that this is really adding to causing tragedys like Grenfell.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2018, 07:42:11 am »
Honestly Treez?
Beneath contempt.
Sorry but i believe we must talk of such things in order to have it not happen again.
I was just pointing out that the elec regs have often been used by the large corporations to make it more difficult for smaller competitors to get into the market....which is horrendous when you consider that this is really adding to causing tragedys like Grenfell.
I can see your point. The worst thing is lots of standards aren't free and have to be purchased for silly money, which makes it more costly for smaller businesses and individuals to comply. I think standards are quite often revised, just to sell more and make money. All safety standards should be freely available and paid for by taxes, gathered from those who can afford them.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram, ocset

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2018, 07:48:24 am »
Honestly Treez?
Beneath contempt.

The enquiry into Grenfell is ongoing and the outcome of that is highly likely to lead to prosecution for those found liable so your argument is complete bullshit, a pathetic attempt to justify your flouting of safety regulations and by extension, your attempt at tax fraud.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2018, 09:00:39 am »
Honestly Treez?
Beneath contempt.

The enquiry into Grenfell is ongoing and the outcome of that is highly likely to lead to prosecution for those found liable so your argument is complete bullshit, a pathetic attempt to justify your flouting of safety regulations and by extension, your attempt at tax fraud.
I think it's too soon to make such judgements about the original poster. I think he's most likely naive. I hope he takes our advice about his so-called friend being a scammer. I think treez will be the one who ends up in trouble if he goes along with this as his "friend" will know how to keep himself out of trouble and keep all the money.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2018, 09:18:57 am »
I must admit, to this day, i wonder how what a witness (the woman living opposite the flat  where the fire started) saw as a  "small fire in the kitchen", ended up with flames licking up out of the front room window, when there is a wall in the way, and many metres of distance. Presumably the window of the front room was closed when the fire started...or you would hope so.
Apparently, according to the witness, the occupant had managed to have time to  pack his bags and had them out on the landing.

I hope they get the full details, so this cannot happen again.

I mean, surely if you were in there you would flip the breaker to the kitchen equipment, then toss a damp rag over the "small fire".

Actually i suspect this may all be irrelevant after Brexit, as i suspect that the UK government will  charge  (and directly enforce) its own tariffs on Chinese imports to UK. I believe  that many UK electronics companies are only surviving because of the Chinese imports that they bring in......and believe that  such companies will close down and go bust as soon as Brexit comes in.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2018, 12:36:02 pm »
Honestly Treez?
Beneath contempt.

And the difference of UK as a nation for their little tawdry scam invading Iraq killing 100 000+ is?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 12:38:22 pm by MT »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2018, 03:29:14 pm »
I must admit, to this day, i wonder how what a witness (the woman living opposite the flat  where the fire started) saw as a  "small fire in the kitchen", ended up with flames licking up out of the front room window, when there is a wall in the way, and many metres of distance. Presumably the window of the front room was closed when the fire started...or you would hope so.
Why do you hope the window would be closed?

This fire happened in the summer and most UK homes don't have air conditioning, so it's perfectly reasonable to expect the window to be open. Another possibility is they were cooking and don't have an extractor fan, so left the window open to vent the fumes.

It's be quite hot recently, so I've been leaving all the windows open overnight and closing them first thing in the morning. That way the cooler air is trapped inside the building, which has fairly good insulation. When I get home from work, it's nice and cool in my house and I wait until long after sunset before I open any windows.

I've never understood why some people leave their windows open during the day and close them at night. I understand some people are concerned about security, but my windows can be locked, just open enough to allow a good airflow, but not enough to let anyone in.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2018, 06:48:53 pm »
I can see your point. The worst thing is lots of standards aren't free and have to be purchased for silly money, which makes it more costly for smaller businesses and individuals to comply. I think standards are quite often revised, just to sell more and make money. All safety standards should be freely available and paid for by taxes, gathered from those who can afford them.
Making safety standards paid for is one of the most backwards things. Not only does it artificially increase the price of entry, it also makes it impossible for third parties to check whether the standard is adhered to.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2018, 09:26:56 am »
Honestly Treez?

Beneath contempt.

Thankyou CJay…I admire your concern over the tragedy of the Grenfell Tower Fire of London.
Now that you have this concern, will you now  join the campaign to find out what  REALLY happened?...so that   this such  tragedy never happens again?...……….the woman living opposite this flat (Maryam Adam) saw a “small fire”  in the kitchen…at this time, she noticed that someone had packed several suitcases and had them out on the landing…and it was just  a “small fire” at this time……now…how did this “small fire”  then somehow creep  and then get out the window to the cladding?...............and why did people have time to pack belongings?......why didn’t he just fight the “small fire”?….it must have been a “small fire” for  quite some time…….he could surely  easily have fought the fire.

It actually transpires that the flat (where the fire started) had had double glazing installed, and  air gaps were somehow left  between the frame and walls, and that some flammable sealant had been used to  in some way plug the gaps. The fridge also had had some  kind of “repair” done to it. The fridge also was placed right next to the window…..hmmmmm
The man, whilst warning people,  was heard not just shouting “fire fire”……..but actually shouting that his “fridge has caught fire”

Why did  people start packing bags when it was just a small fire?........

I won’t say what I suspect…but i beg you to hear this……Grenfell Tower  exists in a part of London where property prices are higher than virtually anywhere in the world. Grenfell Tower had been flagged up as an “eyesore”, by agencies trading in the super expensive properties in the Kensington area of London…..hence Grenfell was cladded with the now well known cladding, as part of a “gentrification” scheme to make Grenfell Tower less of an eyesore……….Hmmmmm….are you thinking what I am thinking yet? This cladding went up like dynamite and burnt the entire place down.

https://metro.co.uk/2017/06/15/man-whose-flat-started-grenfell-blaze-packed-luggage-before-raising-alarm-6710853/

https://metro.co.uk/2017/06/14/resident-of-grenfell-tower-flat-where-fire-started-packed-own-stuff-before-warning-neighbours-6709573/

https://metro.co.uk/2017/06/15/grenfell-tower-fire-witness-claims-blaze-wasnt-just-an-accident-6711054/

Also needed is a full electrical analysis of what electrically started the fridge fire, and this to be published and made freely available to everyone on the web....because 100's of similar fridge freezer fires start every year in uk.......are you now  joining the campaign to see these results achieved?

Also, where has "Maryam Adam" gone?...she was the first witness to the fire, and lived in the flat opposite...there were partial  stories from her in all the media after the fire...but now she has just vanished.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:13:09 pm by treez »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2018, 11:40:19 am »
Also, where has "Maryam Adam" gone?...she was the first witness to the fire, and lived in the flat opposite...there were partial  stories from her in all the media after the fire...but now she has just vanished.

treez, that you should be quoting unsubstantiated year old stories from the Metro and pushing your own conspiracy theories involving the deaths of 72 people, while a proper formal inquiry is taking place to get to the truth, is bad taste in the extreme.  :palm:

What on earth has this to do with your proposal of illegally import, presumably Li-Po powered, Chinese toys with no intention of obtaining safety approvals? and before you say it again...
Thankyou my Friend, but i am an electronics engineer, so i will be able to take the toy cars to pieces and see if they are going to be safe or not.

We wont  bother getting approvals, because nobody who buys the cars is going to bother checking whether  they are approved or not. All they care about is getting them cheap and that they are not going to burst into flames.

... from the threads you have started on this forum, I wouldn't trust you to personally assess the safety of a paper bag!

Your tenuous linking of, and arguments on, the two subjects is completely incongruous.

Finally PLEASE don't thank this post! [Edit:  :palm:]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:17:35 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: janoc, hexreader, ocset

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf