Author Topic: Worth buying Fluke 27 if i have 87?  (Read 3711 times)

Offline pcm81Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Worth buying Fluke 27 if i have 87?
« on: December 09, 2018, 05:32:20 pm »
There are endless threads about just how wonderful old fluke gear can be etc. This is not one of those threads.
There are endless discussions online about fluke being vs not being worth the money. This is not one of those threads.

I have a rather specific situation.
I am an engineer for an aviation company, so i can most definitely appreciate mil-spec products. Which is why i am looking at fluke 27FM
I am a home DIYer, but i am not running backdoor electronics shop from my garage.
The problem is that I already have Fluke 87, I believe it is version 1 or 2. Definitely not ver 5.
My question is this: Is there any reason to buy fluke 27?
They are built like a tank, I kind-of want one, just because they are built like a brick outhouse, but i am looking for some kind of "functional" justification to spend $50-$100 on one since I already have 87...

Thanks

I guess if someone breaks into my house I could punch them in the face with fluke 27 harder than i could with my current 87... Any other advantages?

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Worth buying Fluke 27 if i have 87?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 06:16:39 pm »
I have Fluke 27FM, I do electrical assembly in industrial environment, in other words: I build machines for factories.  I wanted something that is built like a tank and was accurate and had brand name.

Don't buy Fluke 27FM.  Why not?
1.  It does not sound like you need the tank quality.
2.  It does not have back light.
3.  It is kinda slow.
4.  It is big.

If you don't need brand name, get Bryman.  If you do need the brand name, and there are times that you do need it, then get Fluke 117 or some other 11x series.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 11:09:52 pm »
Don't buy Fluke 27FM.  Why not?
1.  It does not sound like you need the tank quality.
2.  It does not have back light.
3.  It is kinda slow.
4.  It is big.

1. Everyone needs tank like quality
2. Flashlight
3. So am I
4. So am I

I guess if someone breaks into my house I could punch them in the face with fluke 27 harder than i could with my current 87... Any other advantages?

All the more reason to have one.  Everyone likes a device that is a multitasker.  It's a multimeter, it's a blunt force trauma weapon.  Oh, wait, it's both.

IF your 87 is your only meter, nothing wrong with having one as a 2nd.  I do have one.  It's the only portable meter in the house (everything else is bench) since I gave my son-in-law my Velleman.  I have mine because I wanted the high voltage probe that it came with.  Basically I paid about the price for a new probe and got a multimeter free, $65 shipped for the meter, the HV probe, a set of crappy probes and a hard case.  I should have bought 2 and sold on the second HV probe.  Also it is pretty much on the money checked with my DMM Check plus.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 11:29:17 pm »
Short answer, no. The 27 offers nothing over your 87, unless you want to throw it off the back of a truck.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 11:43:41 pm »
Doesn't Fluke 27 have a better overvoltage protection than 87V?
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 08:50:26 pm »
You can use a pile of them as axle stands.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 03:48:02 pm »
I have a Fluke 27/FM and love it. Being older, rugged and dark colored, it is the meter that is put into service around the house in the dirtiest conditions (dusty attic, muddy HVAC, wet pool equipment). When (if) this breaks down I will probably get another one or, if they cease to exist, I feel that a 27 II or 28 II would be equally good.

In terms of features, I agree with Dave. A 27/FM does not bring anything else to the table when compared to your 87I/II apart from the ability to perform "gentle persuasion" to other objects, people, undesirable critters, etc. 

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 08:16:26 pm »
Extra multimeters are always nice and rugged and smaller multimeters are better for leaving in the car or pickup or toolbox.  But given the cost of the militarized Fluke 27, I think I would rather have two newer multimeters.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 01:42:15 am »
It is quite interesting; the cost increased since I bought mine and it was a long time after Dave's video. I wonder if the number of enthusiasts  are growing exponentially... :-DD
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 02:29:04 am »
While it rarely hurts to have more meters, unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket I would leave it for someone else. It doesn't sound like you have any real need for it, don't be a hoarder. It's a real mental illness which seems to be more common amongst engineers than in the general population. I see guys with 10+ scopes collecting dust and rooms so full of crap they can't use any of it.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 08:35:45 am »
Five years ago in the UK, I could buy Fluke 25 by the hundred.

Not seen many for sale in bulk in months, hence the rising prices.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 10:32:35 am »
Keep the 87x if it's working perfectly, and spend some cash on an AC+DC clamp meter if you don't have one,

or an ESR tester,

or another Fluke 87x as a backup

You can't have too many meters,

unless you're trapped in the Hoarding Zone with no way out  :scared:

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 12:25:20 am »
Functionality they sit somewhere in between the 70 series and 80 series. There are current clamps and high voltage probe accessories as well but nothing you can't get for the 80 series.

Back when these originally came out I had a 70 series. I brought my Fluke 27FM in 2015/2016 when the Australian dollar (jumbuck) was up in value, for less than the cost of a couple of fuses.

I have an 87 and 87V but I still use the 27FM. If you brought well and in good condition all you need is to add a new set of probes. If you change your mind it's a very easy problem to solve, flog it back off on Ebay.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 12:28:14 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 06:53:00 am »
Functionality they sit somewhere in between the 70 series and 80 series. There are current clamps and high voltage probe accessories as well but nothing you can't get for the 80 series.

Back when these originally came out I had a 70 series. I brought my Fluke 27FM in 2015/2016 when the Australian dollar (jumbuck) was up in value, for less than the cost of a couple of fuses.

I have an 87 and 87V but I still use the 27FM. If you brought well and in good condition all you need is to add a new set of probes. If you change your mind it's a very easy problem to solve, flog it back off on Ebay.

The picture of the insides really is something else! I love just looking at how things ere put together even just a generation ago is beautiful compared to today. The new stuff is nice too but I love the older stuff.  :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf