Author Topic: FranLab is getting evicted  (Read 256831 times)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: FranLab is getting evicted
« Reply #425 on: January 27, 2019, 02:47:56 pm »
I suspect she would be overjoyed to get out of the city a bit. She would be able to afford more space, have a garden, get some sunshine, not worry so much about parking, crime, etc.

Suburban areas outside of large cities may no longer be as hostile to non-traditional people as she might remember from her past, if she grew up in some non-urban area.

She should move because the longer she stays, the more time recovery (as far as her health) from the current situation could take, I suspect.

If I were her, though, I would save money- if she buys a place, she should only buy right after the next crash, which seem to occur almost like clockwork every ten years or so. And not get a variable rate mortgage, or ideally, any mortgage. There are communities where people can buy houses for very little. Big parts of the country cost very little to live in, unlike the Northeast or West Coast. Finding one that also is a positive place that wont be hostile to her being trans, seems like a big job but it would be made a lot simpler if she finds people who have successfully made similar transitions and gets advice from them. They must be out there somewhere.

Todays nice affordable small town often becomes tomorrows unaffordable small town so its a moving target.

At one point in my life I was considering moving to the area around Santa Fe, NM, in the US Southwest, because I really like the food, artistic, tech and social matrix, and awesome scenery and hiking around there. And at the time it was really cheap. Not any more! Now its just insanely expensive. People have to act on things like that when they can.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 03:04:30 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #426 on: January 27, 2019, 03:13:52 pm »
You seem to make an awful lot of assumptions about that Fran would like and is looking for, cdev. I can only assume she's evaluated various options, including ones which mean moving around.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #427 on: January 27, 2019, 07:16:22 pm »
She certainly would be an asset to any community I would want to live in.

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #428 on: January 27, 2019, 07:18:19 pm »
I have no idea who this woman is and I did not know her channel but she has a broken voice which I find grating.
A transgender person.

Never watched any of her content - But it she a he? :wtf:

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #429 on: January 27, 2019, 07:35:34 pm »
I think her voice is likely raspy right now because of the junk in the air she's likely inhaling. She needs to get out of there.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #430 on: January 27, 2019, 10:17:04 pm »
I think she was outed like 2008, or something. Maybe 2012? And she is now more or less open about it.
It was obvious to me within a few seconds of seeing her on video, but I've lived in LA. After your first surprise, you see it everywhere. But it's like when someone is obviously pregnant. You can't be 100% sure, so you just keep it to yourself. Plus there's nothing to gain from acknowledging it. If you're wrong, you pissed off a female. If you are right, you disappointed a transgender who thinks she is passing. Fran's style of hair and clothing for her age is as big a tipoff as her voice. 40 somethin' with pigtails and tight T shirts. Yeah, ok.

It surprises me that it surprises anyone. Female tech level nerd who isn't a total frump. When something's too good to be true... If she were a biological female, she would have been snapped up by the feminist SJW's ten years ago, made the face of some tech company or otherwise having her name and face plastered all over the internet. Ala Jerry Ellsworth or Meredith Perry. She would have some gig better than scraping up Pateron cash for a place to live.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:13:04 pm by KL27x »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #431 on: January 27, 2019, 11:31:30 pm »
Lots of people don't wear age-indicative clothing. My 83-year old aunt comes to mind...if you were to see her from behind in any non-formal setting, she'd look like a 5' teenage girl in t-shirt and jeans with a ponytail down to her waist.

I'm sure Fran would be happy you think she is that young...you missed by a decade. But that might also indicate your observational skills aren't quite as sharp as you claim.  Also remember the shirts Fran wears on-stream are being modeled. You can buy them.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #432 on: January 27, 2019, 11:43:17 pm »
I'm sure Fran would be happy you think she is that young...you missed by a decade
Like with the pregnant woman. If you're not sure, you better guess low. :) See, I have no problem with trans persons. I treat her like a woman, still.

I get it. I still remember how hard it is to cross that line in your head the first time. When someone looks close enough and they present and act like a woman, you just give them the credit. Heck, my first big surprise was a 3rd date. :) My friends met her and didn't know, either. There are probably a lot of trans woman I wouldn't guess, but Fran isn't one of them.

I don't mean to reinforce stereotypes, but I didn't entertain for more than a second or two that she might be a biological woman. Living alone in a utilitarian warehouse surrounded by (expensive!) tools and junk instead of decorations and colors, but her own appearance being so... feminine and meticulous. I would probably be fooled if she dressed in a sack, didn't care about her makeup, and she ate her own earwax. That would be believable.

I don't mean any of this as a put down or insult. If anything, it would be incredible if there was a biological woman raised in the 70's that turned out like Fran. It would be also be nice if unicorns existed. You can mark me as a fan and supporter of Fran as a person. I'm subscribed. I like her. I just don't watch. Her electronics related content just doesn't interest me. The rants, neither. I like her YouTube analytics and conspiracy theories.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 01:09:22 am by KL27x »

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #433 on: January 28, 2019, 06:07:30 pm »
Honestly, at this point, I think she should devote some quality time to asking other trans people about smaller towns.

I suggested that some time ago.
Too late now, she has a new lease signed.

Yeah, and she wouldn't have had to go far even. New Hope is right there. If ever there was a place friendly to all sorts of alternative lifestyles, that's certainly it. Although being such an artsy area it's also not a cheap place to live. Though I kind of think at one point she did mention that. Since most people here are NOT familiar with this area, Google it - New Hope is quite an eclectic place.

Water over the bridge, since she has a new place all lined up already and everything, so little point in dwelling on it now.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #434 on: January 29, 2019, 05:11:29 am »
I have no idea who this woman is and I did not know her channel but she has a broken voice which I find grating.
A transgender person.

No. She is a trans woman, which is not a “he”.

The following users thanked this post: basinstreetdesign

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #435 on: January 29, 2019, 01:49:11 pm »
Why are some guys insistent on calling engineering women fake? And then expect women to be nice to them?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, MrMobodies

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #436 on: January 29, 2019, 03:24:04 pm »
I don't care what gender she is she does good videos and shares it.

I understand the majority of things she is explaining.

I have seen Thunderfoot's channel where he exposes some fake whatnots? but he argues it is not about their gender.
Edit: Actually just remembered I don't think they were actually engineers but more scientists of some sort.

I think Fran is much more than a real engineer and a machinist with all that machinery and she has a lot to show for it in the videos.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 03:28:57 pm by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, basinstreetdesign

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #437 on: January 29, 2019, 05:49:44 pm »
I sense a shit storm brewing in this thread. Get your rain slickers. Tornado is approaching the treatment plant.

Alternative life styles like what kind of degenerate behavior are you thinking of? Stuck thinking about a 70s disco or something? You meant to say a location not occupied by phobic paranoid dickheads?

Thunderfoot is shit. I wanna see if he can open a can of beans. That guy fused with the armchair.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:57:25 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #438 on: January 31, 2019, 10:53:10 pm »
FranLab FLOODED!  :palm:

She seems to have three options:
- Just continue to take it up the arse
- Give up and walk out right now, get an AirBnB or something in the mean time and make do until the new space is ready
- Engage lawyers at 12 paces

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #439 on: January 31, 2019, 10:58:44 pm »
Lots of people don't wear age-indicative clothing. My 83-year old aunt comes to mind...if you were to see her from behind in any non-formal setting, she'd look like a 5' teenage girl in t-shirt and jeans with a ponytail down to her waist.
I'm sure Fran would be happy you think she is that young...you missed by a decade. But that might also indicate your observational skills aren't quite as sharp as you claim.  Also remember the shirts Fran wears on-stream are being modeled. You can buy them.

I'm the odd one out in my building - shorts, silly t-shirt (today it's Thunderbirds), sandles. The rest look like corporate drones.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #440 on: January 31, 2019, 11:07:46 pm »
I hope Fran has some form of business or renters contents insurance cover, that way it would be trivial to claim damages and let them fight for the money at no cost to her.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:11:54 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #441 on: January 31, 2019, 11:09:15 pm »
FranLab FLOODED!  :palm:

She seems to have three options:
- Just continue to take it up the arse
- Give up and walk out right now, get an AirBnB or something in the mean time and make do until the new space is ready
- Engage lawyers at 12 paces
At this point you really have to wonder whether it's a somewhat coordinated campaign. Just be such a pain that people decide to pack up and leave.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #442 on: January 31, 2019, 11:11:57 pm »
No. She is a trans woman, which is not a “he”.
She is, but you know what would be cool - just viewing Fran as Fran.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #443 on: February 01, 2019, 01:52:58 am »
Unfortunately I called this scenario a few months ago...

Clearly they can't actually knock the building down while she is still there. They can begin to demo the units all around her but if they really want to knock it down and start again they would need to wait until the end of her lease if she decided to stay. No way they need to do 9 months of demo work - maybe she should wait and see what happens.

Bad idea.
They'll make her life a living hell. It's a no-win game, get out now.
Exactly. The pressure to leave becomes unsurmountable, which may include recklessness (on purpose or not). I have met people that went through this, with the strategically falling debris or the inadvertent blown water or sewage pipe invading the shop (hard to know the real intentions).
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #444 on: February 01, 2019, 09:27:11 am »
The latest flooding video has been removed.

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #445 on: February 01, 2019, 10:15:07 am »
Why?
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #446 on: February 01, 2019, 12:24:51 pm »
I'm the odd one out in my building - shorts, silly t-shirt (today it's Thunderbirds), sandles. The rest look like corporate drones.

I had to go into the city this morning (normally I'm just on the other side of Darling Harbour in Ultimo & Pyrmont), I think I saw more men in suits in that half hour than I do in an average month normally.

A good well-fitting suit can be quite comfortable, although a dark suit in the middle of the Australian summer? Not sure I could be paid enough for that one.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #447 on: February 01, 2019, 03:40:03 pm »
They peed on her apartment and with the video taken down I expect they are going to compensate and fix the damage.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #448 on: February 01, 2019, 05:09:41 pm »
Wow, that really sucks. I hope she has insurance and/or can sue or something.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #449 on: February 02, 2019, 04:17:45 am »
ugh.. this sounds like San Francisco's real estate wars, not Philly's.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 04:20:41 am by cdev »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf