Author Topic: FranLab is getting evicted  (Read 251231 times)

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FranLab is getting evicted
« Reply #450 on: February 02, 2019, 04:59:02 am »
They peed on her apartment and with the video taken down I expect they are going to compensate and fix the damage.
The direct approach - I love it.  It can work faster and with more positive results than any lawsuit.  I hope that is what is happening.  It may also motivate them to help her move.
Best of luck to her.
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #451 on: February 02, 2019, 12:19:18 pm »
Since the flooding video is gone, what did it say?
When I saw "flooded" I assumed it was perhaps related to a broken pipe from the epic cold wave, etc?
Especially since the building is in some intermediate state of being demolished?

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #452 on: February 02, 2019, 02:50:38 pm »
Iirc they had cut of pipes to the sprinkler system around the building (or something equivalent) and then someone turned on the valve again.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #453 on: February 02, 2019, 05:51:04 pm »
Other than the bit at the beginning and the bit at the end, that video was mostly of the camera pointed at the room during cleanup. That included a somewhat heated conversation with one of the building representatives, followed by some conversations with a couple of the girls hired to help mop up the water.

And that is probably also why Fran pulled the video once she thought about it. She was probably OK on the video portion of it, but Pennsylvania generally requires both parties be aware of audio recording in non-public places, and I'm pretty sure the building guy wasn't aware the camera was on. (Surveillance laws vary significantly among the 50 states. In many states this would be legal with only one party consent.)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #454 on: February 04, 2019, 03:02:23 am »
I hope this situation leads to them simply saying "this is nuts, just give her some money to bugger off".
But given that any liability on this will likely not waste any of their time, and cost will be handled by insurance, I'm not holding my breath.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #455 on: February 04, 2019, 03:03:15 am »
Other than the bit at the beginning and the bit at the end, that video was mostly of the camera pointed at the room during cleanup. That included a somewhat heated conversation with one of the building representatives, followed by some conversations with a couple of the girls hired to help mop up the water.

And that is probably also why Fran pulled the video once she thought about it. She was probably OK on the video portion of it, but Pennsylvania generally requires both parties be aware of audio recording in non-public places, and I'm pretty sure the building guy wasn't aware the camera was on. (Surveillance laws vary significantly among the 50 states. In many states this would be legal with only one party consent.)

Even if legal, her lawyer (which she said she was going to engage) might have advised her to remove it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #456 on: February 05, 2019, 09:49:37 pm »
I hope this situation leads to them simply saying "this is nuts, just give her some money to bugger off".
But given that any liability on this will likely not waste any of their time, and cost will be handled by insurance, I'm not holding my breath.
You could call the work or safety inspection on them due to dangerous situations being created by the work they do. Contractor cowboys love a good OSHA inspection.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #457 on: June 04, 2019, 01:21:20 am »
Fran is looking for a job (request toward end of video):

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #458 on: June 04, 2019, 02:35:26 am »
I have just seen that. I don't know if the changes have come in effect but if they start to dictate what they think I want to see not what I select (Interfere with my search and refuse content) despite me paying for Premium and cause the channels that I go there for to see to go out of business I think that may be a cut off point for me.

All colour tiles in stuck there in yer face and I could imagine that giving someone an epileptic fit.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #459 on: September 24, 2019, 04:35:54 am »
Here we go again!

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #460 on: September 24, 2019, 05:49:34 am »
She has a six year lease. 

:shrug:  ball is in her court entirely unless the lease isn't worth the paper it was written on.

She gets to stay there as long as she wants (up to the lease expiry), and a reasonable chance that if she finds somewhere better she could probably get out early and maybe be paid to do so if the cards are played right.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #461 on: September 24, 2019, 07:39:34 am »

In Australia you have to buy it with the lease, but in the US?  :-//

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #462 on: September 24, 2019, 07:56:23 am »
I don't know about Pennsylvania but it seems pretty likely the lease holds. Also after being given so much money I expect she had a lawyer look at the lease?

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #463 on: September 24, 2019, 08:26:02 am »
I don't know about Pennsylvania but it seems pretty likely the lease holds. Also after being given so much money I expect she had a lawyer look at the lease?

But the new landlord can make your life hell if he wants you to leave: Start noisy and dirty renovations in the rest of the building, "accidentally" cut off or damage water, heating and electricity supply, etc.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #464 on: September 24, 2019, 09:24:11 am »

But the new landlord can make your life hell if he wants you to leave: Start noisy and dirty renovations in the rest of the building, "accidentally" cut off or damage water, heating and electricity supply, etc.

Which is precisely what happened to her with her previous lease. The building was practically being demolished around her, while she tried keeping the lab running and the dust and noise out.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #465 on: September 24, 2019, 10:06:21 am »

A good lease agreement should include a Quiet Enjoyment term, "noisy and dirty renovations" lasting  long period of time, "accidentally" doing things on a recurring nature, that sort of thing would breach such a Quiet Enjoyment clause.

If a lease agreement didn't have such a clause, well, it wouldn't be a very good lease agreement!
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #466 on: September 24, 2019, 10:24:56 am »
A good lease agreement should include a Quiet Enjoyment term, "noisy and dirty renovations" lasting  long period of time, "accidentally" doing things on a recurring nature, that sort of thing would breach such a Quiet Enjoyment clause.

If a lease agreement didn't have such a clause, well, it wouldn't be a very good lease agreement!

Landlords almost always have the upper hand, especially in situations like Fran's, they would have absolutely zero incentive to allow a noise clause.  And even if Fran had such a clause she would have to sue to enforce it at her own expense.

If the new buyer's goal is to renovate and flip, her best bet is they offer a few months rent to buy out her lease and move on.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #467 on: September 24, 2019, 12:51:09 pm »
Here we go again!
That is just sad. How much bad luck can a person get?  :o
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #468 on: September 24, 2019, 01:38:38 pm »
Landlords almost always have the upper hand, especially in situations like Fran's, they would have absolutely zero incentive to allow a noise clause.  And even if Fran had such a clause she would have to sue to enforce it at her own expense.

If the new buyer's goal is to renovate and flip, her best bet is they offer a few months rent to buy out her lease and move on.

Buy out is likely what's going to happen. I remember she had to do a pretty substantial advance payment on the rent, too. But it's really tough on Fran. It was quite hard for her to get this place, being self-employed and such. It's quite a shame. Landlords and banks get to ask substantial securities while they really don't offer any safety against loosing the lease in return.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #469 on: September 24, 2019, 02:05:01 pm »
I foresee a slew of folks pointing the fingers and saying "I told you so" on many angles and opinions...  :(

I wonder: isn't there in the lease contract a break clause with a hefty penalty proportional to the length of time remaining on the contract? All things aside, that could easily offset the moving expenses - not the mental breakdown, though.

I don't know the rules around here in the US - it varies from state to state and maybe even from city to city.

Perhaps bring the new/prospective owner to the bargaining table would help?

I once had to deal with this and the owner sent a letter saying the property was being offered for sale, gave us priority to buy it or leave within 60 days. Obviously that, without cash, we were forced to leave but fortunately the law didn't match the owner's planned schedule for his own sale plans: we had 30 days to reply, then 90 days more to vacate the premises (this was in Brasil). Also, the lease contract had a break clause with a hefty penalty to cover the moving expenses. In the end we left the property within 60 days but we got lots of extra benefits from the owner for the expedited process, such as one month free and paid moving expenses (on top of the break penalty).
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline leonababy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #470 on: September 24, 2019, 02:19:05 pm »
Oh dear - I am so sorry to hear this Fran!  I had to keep looking at the date to verify this is new bad news.

Offline FreddieChopin

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #471 on: September 24, 2019, 05:55:09 pm »
Here we go again!

Never enough  ;D or as we say: давай нахуй быстро, сука блядь! But seriously, if he's constantly in trouble to pay rent then maybe it's a sign that it's time for a career change? Software development is less demanding while offering a pay good enough for her to continue electroncis tinkering as a pure hobby.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 06:04:57 pm by FreddieChopin »

The following users thanked this post: SteveyG

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #472 on: September 24, 2019, 06:04:06 pm »
Here we go again!

Never enough  ;D But seriously, if he's constantly in trouble to pay rent then maybe it's a sign that it's time for a career change? Software development is less demanding while offering a pay good enough for him to continue electroncis tinkering as a pure hobby.

Lack of awareness? Being able to pay the rent isn't the issue here at all!

Also, you're being pretty insensitive/insulting with your choice of gender pronouns, never mind the unsolicited advice you're offering.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #473 on: September 25, 2019, 12:16:20 am »

I believe Fran has a long lease, like 6 years or something, maybe even with options to extend.
I don't know what building she is in, I assume it's a residential apartment type block, but it's likely a new owner won't be looking to buy and just sit on it for 6+ years and eek out the rent.
How common is property "flipping" in Philly?

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #474 on: September 25, 2019, 01:38:28 am »

:shrug:  ball is in her court entirely unless the lease isn't worth the paper it was written on.

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf