Author Topic: FranLab is getting evicted  (Read 251357 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Yet another FranLab crisis
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2018, 06:08:10 pm »
I don't read or hear anything to suggest that Fran is being forced out prior to her lease term ending in July 2019. She seems to be taking sensible precautions and planning ahead, but she specifically says in the video that she re-upped her lease right before the building was sold. My read on that, knowing a bit about general real estate practices is that she's probably OK until then, and the other tenants that she sees being "forced out" with 30 days' notice are being forced out by simple non-renewal of their lease which may have transitioned over to month-to-month at the end of a defined tenancy.
I'd be less optimistic. A new building owner is not going to evict paying customers unless there is something to gain from that. If I where Fran I'd ask what their plans are (new tennants?). If not then she could make clear that she is willing to move soon if they help her a bit.

In most of the cases I see, the new owner is going to demolish the building and replace it with a tower having trendy high end retail in the ground floor and expensive luxury condos above. What the new owner gains is a tremendous amount of profit.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
Re: FranLab is getting evicted
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2018, 06:11:22 pm »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2018, 11:24:25 pm »
challenge accepted

but really, once you work at anything other then low frequencies and low powers thats bull shit, and even then, you can start using space quick once you start making custom test fixtures, amplifiers, sensor interfaces, etc

Maybe its not at that level yet but you can always do more with space.

also most people say that a healthy business is looking to grow/expand capabilities to become the go to. If you don't have some kind of R&D its easy to get eaten or become marginalized.
I appreciate the pitch, but you're not making the sale. We could go back and forth with all kinds imaginary requirements, but we both know that little of what you mention realistically applies. We could dream up equipment to fill a building the size of a Ford plant all day.

Until we have a list of things Fran is absolutely going to require, 2000 square feet is a huge space to fill.
I agree. Just look at what Rxpilot is doing with only a 400 square feet garage. More space costs more money.

Are any of you even remotely qualified to evaluate such needs?

Do you make engineering videos and have a business manufacturing products?

I'm probably as close as it gets to doing the same stuff as Fran and I have 127sqm total vs Fran's 180sqm, and I can assure you that I could really do with some more space.
If someone has spent decades being productive in 2000sqft then who's to say they don't need all that space again?

Let's say she halved the space, 1000sqft is 92sqm. Only a few more than my lab+office.
Have you seen my lab?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 11:30:51 pm by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, BrianHG, a59d1

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Yet another FranLab crisis
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2018, 11:27:08 pm »
I don't read or hear anything to suggest that Fran is being forced out prior to her lease term ending in July 2019. She seems to be taking sensible precautions and planning ahead, but she specifically says in the video that she re-upped her lease right before the building was sold. My read on that, knowing a bit about general real estate practices is that she's probably OK until then, and the other tenants that she sees being "forced out" with 30 days' notice are being forced out by simple non-renewal of their lease which may have transitioned over to month-to-month at the end of a defined tenancy.
I'd be less optimistic. A new building owner is not going to evict paying customers unless there is something to gain from that. If I where Fran I'd ask what their plans are (new tennants?). If not then she could make clear that she is willing to move soon if they help her a bit.

It's clear they want the building for their own use. Happens all the time when someone buys a commercial space.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2018, 11:31:32 pm »
Now leave the poor lad alone and both of you get off my lawn!

:-DD

Comment of the week.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2018, 12:39:25 am »
i looked and I saw a inspection microscope on a toolbox. no.

temporary folding table. no.

work bench access being blocked by cabinet.

crap on the floor? how you gonna clean. you never wanna use floor for storage space.

I am gonna wait for him to clean up before i make further comments but that is NOT a good work space. I wish he had more space available.  I think that work space could trigger clausterphobia. You want at least 4 feet clearance between the PNP machine and the walls. Preferably 6.

Monitors on speakers. Why is there an arbor press in the electronics area?

that is a cramped storage closet. I would not be happy with that setup.

Sometimes you need to compromise between what you need, and what you can afford. If fran can't afford something, then she needs to figure something else out.

i never said you can't make money or work in that space but I am just saying its not a good work environment. He made a compromise between work space and quality of equipment being used. The quality of equipment that he has is decent but none the less the space is over packed 3-4 times and the storage methods, furniture, work ability, etc is low quality. Most people would be very frustrated to work there.

The human interface design of that room is poor due to the decisions he made, but it seems that for him the juice is worth the squeeze.

The eevblog laboratory is also cramped and has loads of inconveniences like the use of tupperware plastic containers to house equipment, open shelves, tons of stuff on the floor.

In my opinion a good laboratory will have a austere feel to it. Frantone clearly has the same feelings as I do.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:48:43 am by coppercone2 »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2018, 04:04:33 am »
One idea, Detroit. Lots of people in similar situations have ended up in Detroit where large spaces are available for a pittance because of the situation there. Also, other parts of PA. Pittsburgh area for example. Or Cleveland, might have warehouse space to spare.

However, that may be cut off in the future by the price of heating. If the price of natural gas goes up a lot like they say it will, due to exports, its going to be insanely expensive heating a large place, nomatter where it is in the US. Like it is in Europe.

These kinds of situations put people under a kind of stress that even just by itself is neurotoxic. I can't overemphasize the importance of this. A few months of it will statistically double one's chances of serious illness or death for years. Thats the emerging science. Best to cut your losses and move. They won.

If I were her I would try to pare down the bulk of my stuff. If she does that in a well thought out methodical way she'll be able to keep the things that matter to her but she cant be wasting any time hoping its going to change, if a miracle occurs, great but she cant count on that. This huge shift is happening everywhere. It happened to me. I had to give away 3/4 of what I owned. Its impossible to sell things on short notice.

It will not be easy finding another place to live, let alone a 'lab' in an urban area, without a very well paying job and perfect credit. And often they want a little under the table too. Thats what she should focus on. Living space.  Its very very hard to find a live work space. The future is people living in dorm like shared spaces. Basically living like college students again. (Blessedly now, they might be able to find a unit with its own bathroom! That would be almost as good as a small apartment in a city where there are often good, cheap ways to eat out)
It can get really desperate. When I lived in SF several times I had to extricate people from spaces in my building they werent supposed to live in (under the front stairs, where we kept the garbage cans, and old abandoned storage rooms in the damp dark basement. Whos to say if we wont end up in rabbit hutch like "cage homes" like the poor in Hong Kong do.

When people are trying to drive you out, what can I say. Its not a safe situation to be in.

She could end up in a really bad situation.

Wealthy people don't understand the rest of the human race's values when they have dollar signs in their eyes. They see buying properties, tarting them up and reselling them to make a quick profit as their entitlement. Really. "Everybody else is getting rich", they say, doing this, why not them too? Its like a game for them.

If poor people try to hang on to spaces they have professionals who they hire to come in and drive them out. Professional building clearers. They can make it impossible for anybody who has to keep a job or who needs to sleep, breathe, etc. to live in a building. The stories I could tell people would just blow your minds. I've been through this.

She really doesn't want to become a speed bump on their highway to riches. If she cannot afford an attorney to fight it out (and it looks like that would be really hard to find, as they are super expensive.) she should just be happy she has some time because of her lease, and move. Try to find another place to live first. Thats the #1 priority. She needs to get on top of it because other things are likely coming that will displace lots of others so soon she will be competing with them. And many of them will likely be better off financially. Still working and needing to stay near jobs, nearing retirements, etc. Thanks to our President, the REAL ESTATE DEVELOPER.

Older people like Fran and myself are still living in another, gentler era. We're not really so realistic. For better or for worse, thats just the way we are.

Fran if you read this, your health is the thing you need to think about, the sooner you decide to deal with this and start finding good places for your stuff and self, the better off you'll be in terms of your chances of finding a new lab too. Don't become a paralyzed 'deer in the headlights', if you do you will sink into despair and not be able to find a new place. Paradoxically, like employment, the more you 'need' something like that the harder it is to find it. All that old equipment may be interesting for historical reasons but its big and bulky and not as useful as newer equipment in a pragmatic electronics sense. You have to move on. Thats how to improve your chances of finding another challenge and maybe you will luck out. Its more likely than not if you rise to the challenge, but if you dont its going to be very hard.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 05:01:34 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2018, 04:48:11 am »
Detroit is an area that could really use a little gentrification. The problem is that once the ball starts rolling, it's really hard to stop.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2018, 05:55:56 am »
Let's say she halved the space, 1000sqft is 92sqm. Only a few more than my lab+office.
Have you seen my lab?

Are you sure you measured the sq ft properly? My space is 270 sq ft and yours does not look 4 times bigger.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2018, 11:12:23 am »
She speaks of being able to safely walk to the supermarket and restaurants where she lives now and of not really needing an automobile. So the need is not just for a new workspace but a new neighborhood.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2018, 11:43:50 am »
Have you seen my lab?

Are you sure you measured the sq ft properly? My space is 270 sq ft and yours does not look 4 times bigger.

My lab is 50sqm
I have two separate spaces in two different buildings. Three if you count my storage bunker.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2018, 11:46:39 am »
The eevblog laboratory is also cramped and has loads of inconveniences like the use of tupperware plastic containers to house equipment, open shelves, tons of stuff on the floor.
In my opinion a good laboratory will have a austere feel to it. Frantone clearly has the same feelings as I do.

Yes, and I'm seriously considering renting a new consolidated bigger space.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2018, 01:27:00 pm »
At the same time, in many parts of the US, there are these huge abandoned malls. Seems like it would make sense to turn at least some of them into live work spaces for small businesses, sort of as incubators.

Unfortunately, we never do things that make that much sense here any more.

:(

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2018, 02:12:30 pm »
I've always wondered about why you've chosen to rent multiple spaces rather than consolidating, though I understand you might not want to share anything and everything.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 02:16:26 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2018, 02:13:51 pm »
One idea, Detroit. Lots of people in similar situations have ended up in Detroit where large spaces are available for a pittance because of the situation there. Also, other parts of PA. Pittsburgh area for example. Or Cleveland, might have warehouse space to spare.
I thought about the same exact thing. However, since she mentioned on the video she is concerned about the neighbourhood safety, I can't help but think what copper thieves would do with a treasure trove of "metals for scrapping" at her lab in the middle of an abandoned area of Detroit (IIRC, certain areas are not even policed anymore due to lack of residents/funds, but I am not sure if this was FUD I read somewhere).
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Jr460

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2018, 02:14:45 pm »
At the same time, in many parts of the US, there are these huge abandoned malls. Seems like it would make sense to turn at least some of them into live work spaces for small businesses, sort of as incubators.

I knew someone that had a small retail store in a mall.  It was a good location and was doing OK.  Then the large main anchor store moved out.   That killed a lot of his walk ins, the "oh while we are here let's take a look traffic".   On top of that his share for the HVAC and maint of the common space when up.   The store that moved, because they rented the largest space, paid a large share of those costs.   The cost got re-calculated and all the smaller shop renters had to make up the difference.   As more stores moved out, the costs to the others skyrocketed.

It is not all about location.

A small 5-6 unit strip mall.  One unit was a salon that was run by the landlord and couldn't make a go of it.   It sat empty for some time until two people I know leased it.  Since it was already setup as a salon, it didn't take much for it to get up and going.  They did great, mainly because their long term customers stayed with them, and they did really good work at a good price.   When the lease came up for a second renewal, the landlord seeing how much business they had just about doubled the rent, pushing them out.  The landlord thought that now it has a lot of traffic, She could take it back over, just a change of owners and staff and name, the same people will keep coming to the salon.   

Of course the plan didn't work for the landlord, and on top of that traffic to whole strip mall crashed and the pub next door with very good food closed up. 

Greed.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2018, 02:17:28 pm »
I've always wondered about why you've chosen to rent multiple spaces, though I understand you might not want to share anything and everything.

It's a bit complicated financially, logistically, and plus market availability wise.
My two year lease is now up on the office, and the market has changed a lot since two years ago.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2018, 03:23:21 pm »
The problem is, thats what everybody wants.

Ironically, its the people who really need walkability who are suffering the most by the shifts. (maybe they don't own a car or even drive, but still need to get to work.)

People who were born in and grew up in city neighborhoods but whose incomes have not kept up are the ones who are getting forced out in large numbers now. And there really is no place for most of them to go thats likely to work out well. Its going to get much worse before it gets better (if it ever does)

She speaks of being able to safely walk to the supermarket and restaurants where she lives now and of not really needing an automobile. So the need is not just for a new workspace but a new neighborhood.

There are a lot of people in this situation and they should join up and set up organizations to buy properties in areas unlikely to gentrify soon. Outside of towns so unlikely to be added to redevelopment projects.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2018, 04:46:56 pm »
lol detroit walkability, more like driving around in dead reckoning

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2018, 05:20:37 pm »
My two year lease is now up on the office, and the market has changed a lot since two years ago.

Out of curiosity, in what way? Bear in mind that most of us non-antipodeans have no clue what's happening in your local economy.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2018, 08:18:14 pm »
Well, there are incubators and makerspaces, which can be very helpful to our types of people.  One incredible one is Tx/Rx labs in Houston.  I visited there once for a conference, and it was amazing.  They also had the best electronics facilities I've ever seen in a makerspace.  But, there are a bunch of others that are also pretty good.

At least some parts of Detroit may be too far gone to be a viable location right now, but there are plenty of other cities where crime is tolerable and property values are not crazy.  I don't know if Fran really WANTS to stay in New York, but there are a lot of other places that could be a lot more affordable.  I'm in a suburb of St. Louis, MO, and have my lab/production facility in the basement of my house.  I have a Bridgeport mill converted to CNC, a 3500-Lb lathe, a sheet metal shear and finger brake, pick and place machine, and electronics lab down there.  At least, in the past, I made great use of the home office deduction, too, although the tax laws have been changed, so they may not do as much in the coming years.

Jon

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2018, 08:57:30 pm »
Out of curiosity, in what way? Bear in mind that most of us non-antipodeans have no clue what's happening in your local economy.

Two years ago there was a massive shortage of stock in my business park for rent or for sale.
I would prefer to buy a bigger place, but there simply wasn't anything for sale at the time and I needed the extra space.
Not to mention that prices have more than doubled in my business park for commercial realeststate, something that was almost unprecendented before (commercial realeststate never goes up like residential)
So if I wanted to buy, I needed to do that about 3 years ago, I missed that boat.
Now there is a lot more stock available for rent, so there is more choice to find something suitable.
And rents haven't gone up so now renting one big space makes sense where it didn't before, it made more sense to buy instead of rent 3 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 09:00:15 pm by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus

Offline a59d1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2018, 09:10:53 pm »
A few months of it will statistically double one's chances of serious illness or death for years. Thats the emerging science. Best to cut your losses and move. They won.

No sources cited.

Offline a59d1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2018, 09:13:12 pm »

Unfortunately, we never do things that make that much sense here any more.

:(

If repurposing old malls is such a genius idea, why don't you do it? Who's stopping you? If getting rich through property flipping is so easy, why haven't you done it? Debt is cheap in America, and any old moron can get a loan for a couple million with a tiny amount of collateral. What are you waiting for?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2018, 11:52:42 pm »
Look at the emerging science of psychoneuroimmunology - and especially allostasis and allostatic load.

These insults are cumulative. Racism is the most studied but other forms of similar discrimination are identical physiologically. So are certain other kinds of visceral pain, say the realization that one has been cheated out of something important, by some trick, the sickness or death of a close family member, or even a messy divorce. Health care costs, paradoxically, increase health care costs.

Fear of loss of housing is also a severe shock that figures high up in Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

The things that are then measurable are things like "all source mortality"(death) (and/or "morbidity"(disease))  They can use other statistical techniques.. comparing deaths in one cohort to another, say between countries with otherwise similar sets of conditions and development. Another useful search term is "excess deaths"

Usually used in a context like "excess deaths amenable to improved health care" and or "excess deaths amenable to improved access to health care".

But the new development is our understanding of where the allostatic load fits in and why these problems occur. Stress hormones - glucocorticoids (steroids) are powerful stimulants of the immune response made by the body to keep us alive when we are facing a direct threat to our survival. But they also are neurotoxins. This is why people just fall apart when subjected to continuous stress. Cortisol will dysregulate the HPA and destroy large amounts of grey matter in the brain over time. (The brain actually shrinks, causing the sunken eyes effect.) They also impact the delicate structures connecting the two sides of the brain. This is why people who have been under a lot of stress for a long time (more than a few weeks) often develop incurable brain damage ("PTSD") It was first observed in World War I in soldiers in the trenches of warfare.

Some substances, curcumin is one, may be neuroprotective but come at a cost in terms of loss of the (necessary for survival) fear response.

This science is still in its infancy.

You can find out much more on PubMed.

A few months of it will statistically double one's chances of serious illness or death for years. Thats the emerging science. Best to cut your losses and move. They won.

No sources cited.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:14:49 am by cdev »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf