Author Topic: YouTube forces adverts  (Read 3649 times)

Offline engineer_in_shortsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
YouTube forces adverts
« on: June 19, 2018, 09:28:45 pm »
Seems that youtube is starting to force adverts on to popular channels:

https://www.blender.org/media-exposure/youtube-blocks-blender-videos-worldwide/

I have always been interested in the way AVE says that he doesn't really care about monetisation as he wants to produce genuine videos and hopefully get income from merch...

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: YouTube forces adverts
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 11:15:57 pm »
The videos that do not have ads (obviously) do not make any money from ads so they should adopt Bittorrent as an alternative content distribution system.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 12:27:53 am »
Hmm, PeerTube sounds like a nice idea.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 05:55:14 am »
Or Floatplane.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 06:33:25 am »
Commercials beside, before, in the middle of, and on top of the videos.

Absolutely ridiculous!  :-- :--

I used to browse AdTube to see what other interesting videos I could find.  Never again!

Now, I get in, fight my way through their spam, and get out as fast as I can.

Ed

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 06:41:12 am »
Yep it’s getting ridiculous on mobile. What I find objectionable is the “30 second mandatory survey timeout” I see occasionally. I’m not pissing 30 seconds of my life away.  When we get to this point, paid content is over.

I mostly use youtube-dl at this point and watch stuff offline with VLC: https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

The following users thanked this post: amyk, SeanB, nugglix

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 06:57:03 am »
Likewise, I'm starting to switch off from Youtube. I have ad blockers on my home network and never get ads there, but on the phone it's ridiculous. I'm seeing an increase in 20-30 second long ads which aren't able to be skipped. If there is anything worth watching, I'll download it first and watch it using VLC Media Player.

Getting me to notice a product is not achieved by shoving it my face. I completely switch off from advertising.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 07:01:43 am »
Very true with advertising.

I think people are starting to realise that the media is worth nothing despite the hours creators put into it.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 07:14:25 am »
Youtube provides the option to "Play On TV" which from what I can tell, seems to bypass the ads.  Surfing to a video with my browser while having my smart TV running its youtube app, then selecting the "Play On TV" icon in the overlay causes only the video to be played.  There are never any ads before, after, or during playback.   :)

From that point, I can control the playback from the browser or with the TV remote.  I can even close the browser window and still continue to watch the video on the TV.

They'll probably fix this loophole eventually, but it makes watching much more enjoyable for now.   

Offline Frank

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 12:09:15 pm »
Youtube provides the option to "Play On TV" which from what I can tell, seems to bypass the ads.   

I have a Samsung Smart TV, and it shows Ads when playing Youtube videos with the youtube app or using the "Play on TV" icon on the smartphone.

Interesting that with a Chromecast in other TV I still did not see any ads. But probably this will change soon.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 01:16:27 pm »
Likewise, I'm starting to switch off from Youtube. I have ad blockers on my home network and never get ads there, but on the phone it's ridiculous. I'm seeing an increase in 20-30 second long ads which aren't able to be skipped. If there is anything worth watching, I'll download it first and watch it using VLC Media Player.

Getting me to notice a product is not achieved by shoving it my face. I completely switch off from advertising.

Yesterday i found out that i can switch to Youtube Premium for only 12,99 a month:
- No ads
- The video DOESN'T STOP if i put the app in background  :-DD

seriously? I have to figure out how to run ad blockers on my phone... i use Web Video Caster to stream stuff from the internet to my chromecast and its browser has an adblock and popup blocker that actually works so to some level it can be done..

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 01:19:13 pm »
I have to figure out how to run ad blockers on my phone...
AdAway.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 01:26:07 pm »
youtube makes money from everything.
just searching a subject or watching a single video will be added to your "profile" that they can sell to company's or inteligence agency's

*everything* has value - it's not just add's
the add's are a joke anyway.

"Gramarly" the friendly keylogger that everybody needs.  >:D
because having an AI owned by god-knows-who watch as you type is a good thing.  :palm:  :scared:

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 03:16:03 pm »
If all you do is watch videos on youtube I see no point it having a profile or logging in. What is there that benefits the user? Even If I needed one in order to have a channel and upload, I think I would not log in as much as possible.

I can't imagine using a phone to watch videos. I guess if that's the only option you have to make do. In ten years I have seen maybe five or six ads, mostly when testing new installs before I remember to change the hosts file and install NoScript. I think uBlock Origin must be helping, but I really had no problems before I started using it a couple of years ago.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 05:00:36 pm »
Youtube provides the option to "Play On TV" which from what I can tell, seems to bypass the ads.   

I have a Samsung Smart TV, and it shows Ads when playing Youtube videos with the youtube app or using the "Play on TV" icon on the smartphone.

Interesting that with a Chromecast in other TV I still did not see any ads. But probably this will change soon.

Interesting.  I connect between my Firefox PC browser (heavily restricted with plug-ins) to my Samsung BD player YouTube app.  I wonder if it is just exclusively a PC browser to smartapp thing, or is it because of all the plug-ins I'm using?

If all you do is watch videos on youtube I see no point it having a profile or logging in. What is there that benefits the user? Even If I needed one in order to have a channel and upload, I think I would not log in as much as possible.

I like using a profile to keep track of my history and subscriptions.  I thought you had to login in order for youtube to keep track of that stuff?

+1 for uBlock Origin.  I also really like uMatrix and have started using that over NoScript. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 05:04:20 pm by BillB »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 05:11:20 pm »
What surprises me is how people are surprised by YouTube or Google behaviour so often. It's an ad company. It makes money from selling ads. It tries to optimise revenue in various ways, like indexing data to sell add space at a premium or reducing the amount of money paid to content makers.

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59, Eka

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 05:40:08 pm »
So if I want to help Blender by hosting torrents, where do I get the torrent files so I can seed them? Or is it a modified Bittorrent protocol that is not compatible with regular clients?

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 06:18:09 pm »
YouTube streaming has such poor performance through my ISP Charter that I do not bother streaming most of the time.  Instead I download the video I want and watch it offline which neatly avoids ads.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 06:24:45 pm »
YouTube streaming has such poor performance through my ISP Charter that I do not bother streaming most of the time.  Instead I download the video I want and watch it offline which neatly avoids ads.
I download so I can use mpv in order to upscale it to 4K.

My mpv config file for those who are curious:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/mike-lu/my-mpv-config-file/10160569751520788/

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 06:28:29 pm »
If all you do is watch videos on youtube I see no point it having a profile or logging in

you dont need to, they create a profile for you the first time they see your i.p. address
i have never registered, but the recomendations and add's tell me 100% that the fuckers have a stored profile they matched me against.
and no - it's not cookies.
i block flash and clear all persistant storage every 24hours.

Online Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 06:38:43 pm »
What surprises me is how people are surprised by YouTube or Google behaviour so often. It's an ad company. It makes money from selling ads. It tries to optimise revenue in various ways, like indexing data to sell add space at a premium or reducing the amount of money paid to content makers.

Idealism is hard to break.  Many still want to believe in "Don't be evil" even after Google dumped it back in 2015.  Fact is, Google like any other commercial entity, its job is to make money.  Even way before 2015, they long since crossed over to "the dark side" for their bottom line.

What I like to see is more competition.  Google is getting too big for new innovators to effectively compete against.  The cynical would say that the only thing preventing Sherman Act from acting is the massive political contributions by Google, and I am one of those cynics.  Looking at their action while "Don't be evil" was still in effect, in 2014 according to Financial Times, Google surpassed Goldman Sachs in political contribution.  (Via NetPacs which is Google’s political action committee).  For such a rich company, they liberally took advantage of tax payers with their deal with NASA's Ames Research Center to park their corporate jet at NASA's hanger and used discount fuel from NASA.  So, "Don't be Evil" is pure fiction.  One should expect they will do anything they can get away with.

Reference (Political contribution):
"Google overtakes Goldman Sachs in US political donations", Financial Times, 2014
https://www.ft.com/content/6b637b56-53da-11e4-80db-00144feab7de

References (Google parking its plane at Moffett Air Base):
"Review of Allegations of Improper Leasing and Provision of Aircraft Fuel at Moffett Federal Airfield" by [USA Federal Govenment] Office of Inspector General,  2013
https://oig.nasa.gov/Special-Review/NASA_H211.pdf
"Google execs saved millions on private jet flights using cheaper Nasa fuel", The Guardian, 2013
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/dec/12/nasa-fuel-saves-google-execs-millions-private-jet-flights
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 06:41:34 pm by Rick Law »

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 06:51:27 pm »
Not to defend Google or anything, but read the original post - it's updated and explains that it was all just a big misunderstanding.
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 07:12:15 pm »
Not to defend Google or anything, but read the original post - it's updated and explains that it was all just a big misunderstanding.

Just like the misunderstanding of YouTube shutting down Brownells and other channels?  Misunderstandings are piling up fast.

The following users thanked this post: Frank, stj

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 04:39:57 am »

Just like the misunderstanding of YouTube shutting down Brownells and other channels?  Misunderstandings are piling up fast.

Most things are automated at Google. So if it was a misunderstanding, probably it was a misunderstanding of the programmers implementing it, and many users are affected. But it is a suspiciously convenient "misunderstanding" for Google to turn on monetization on its own, if Blender didn't do it.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 12:56:48 pm »

My chromecast has occasional ads.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf