Author Topic: Youtube may have to restrict uploading to companies due to EU copywrite  (Read 1793 times)

Offline splinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki in her latest letter to creators has warned that the EU copywrite directive 13 could force them to restrict uploads to companies only because of the onerous requirement for them to scan all material for copyrighted content and the risk of missing some.

Another option is to restrict the content that EU viewers can access.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/22/youtube-ceo-susan-wojcicki-eu-copyright-law-threatens-creators/

Don't know how serious this is or if it is just posturing/scaremongerig as part of their attempts to get the directive modified.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: Youtube may have to restrict uploading to companies due to EU copywrite
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 01:34:12 am »
I'm all for cutting the wires to the EU.  That's a pretty good way to prevent uploading copyrighted material.

In some ways this is already happening.  I think we had a thread a couple of weeks ago about DigiKey (?) sending EU visitors to an essentially blank page with some text saying "We can't work with you" or something like that.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 02:31:24 am »
Absolutely better for YouTube to block individual content to EU users than the alternatives mentioned.

If I was running a personal web project of note, I’d probably cut off the EU as well to avoid the hassles of dealing with their BS.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 03:10:56 am »
Cut'em off and they'll be changing that law in no time at all.

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 05:46:01 am »
I don't trust Wojcicki, after all it was her idea to give mainstream media more 'input' into youtube.
Hence the 24/7 livestreams of traditional TV media, forced use of livestreams in general, and the same mass produced, low production value tripe that wrecked commercial TV.

Having the EU as business only would suit her agenda.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 12:09:57 pm »
It's just frustrating.
I can understand they want to do something about copyrights.
At this moment it's like a wild west on the internet and YT. People just do and copy whatever they want.
Just the implementation is just so bad as usual.

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 01:49:38 pm »
Cut'em off and they'll be changing that law in no time at all.
Maybe. But the alternative scenario is there will be vacuum left behind in the market, and some EU company will fill the void that is quite happy to jump bureaucratic hoops.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 03:22:49 pm »
Today there is Facebook Video, Snapchat video, vimeo, twitch, and probably over 100 country or niche-specific video sites. All of them are a distant, distant trailer to YouTube and I don't think Google is going to cut off independent contributions globally just because the EU wants copyright enforcement to work a certain, impractical way.

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • I like vacuum tubes. Electrons exist, holes don't.
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 03:41:54 pm »
The word is "copyright". You'd think the guys who invented the language could bother to turn on spell check...  :palm:

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 07:38:22 pm »
I'm all for cutting the wires to the EU.  That's a pretty good way to prevent uploading copyrighted material.

Well, I am too, but unfortunately I'm not on the same side of the fence. |O ;D

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 08:04:36 pm »
The word is "copyright". You'd think the guys who invented the language could bother to turn on spell check...  :palm:
Spellcheck won’t catch homophones. “Copywrite” is also a real word, albeit a rare one. (It’s derived from the much more common “copywriting”, as in, to write copy (text, especially advertising).)

Offline splinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 10:41:47 pm »

Pah! I no perfectly well how to spell copyrite copyryte. But for some reason I managed to wright copywrong twhyce and yet rote copyrighted wunse.

I have run thorough diagnostics and a detailed post-event analysis of the error logs has concluded that the glitches were probably caused by Chardonnic* contamination of the linguistic processing unit.

A review of the unit test and final release procedures will of course be undertaken and appropriate disciplinary and/or retraining processes invoked if necessary to ensure such hideous errors can never happen again.

*Or it could have been the Cabernet.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 11:20:23 pm »
YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki in her latest letter to creators has warned that the EU copywrite directive 13 could force them to restrict uploads to companies only because of the onerous requirement for them to scan all material for copyrighted content and the risk of missing some.

Another option is to restrict the content that EU viewers can access.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/22/youtube-ceo-susan-wojcicki-eu-copyright-law-threatens-creators/

Don't know how serious this is or if it is just posturing/scaremongerig as part of their attempts to get the directive modified.
YouTube CEO says something that limits YouTube and they don't like is going to have disastrous effects. Yawn!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:25:42 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 11:23:58 pm »

In some ways this is already happening.  I think we had a thread a couple of weeks ago about DigiKey (?) sending EU visitors to an essentially blank page with some text saying "We can't work with you" or something like that.
It turns out many pages are faster and lighter when visited from the EU. Trackers that are served in the US aren't served when visiting from the EU due to GPDR protections. Apparently it regularly improves performance by hundreds of percents. Of course, the benefits that can't be directly measured should be significant too.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf