Author Topic: Alternate method for finding PCB components among the "pile"  (Read 3142 times)

Offline jmarkwolfTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Alternate method for finding PCB components among the "pile"
« on: October 19, 2017, 12:22:05 pm »
As I progress through my first end-to-end Circuit Studio design, I'm finding more dubious "features".

Finding schematic parts works fine, but I haven't found a way to find individual PCB components in a pile of parts such as after doing a "update PCB document". The cross probe feature doesn't work well if the part of interest is small and the pile is large (can't see the highlighted part).

Altium Designer has a short cut which is to move the cursor where you want the part, then hit 'M' & 'C' (short for Move Components) then type the reference designator, and the part will snap, from wherever it is,  to the current location of the cursor. It's much easier for digging parts out of the pile of parts.

Is anyone aware of an easier way to find specific PCB parts in the pile of parts?

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
Re: Alternate method for finding PCB components among the "pile"
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 01:58:29 pm »
Type the designator into the search box at the top right of the CS window.

The following users thanked this post: jmarkwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 03:12:27 pm »
Type the designator into the search box at the top right of the CS window.

I tried that when looking for "C18" and, if I remember correctly, as soon as I typed the "C" it tried launching me into some help docs or something. I'll try again more carefully.

Offline slowertech

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 06:38:09 pm »
I usually type in and select "Cross Select Mode" within the search box, select the part or parts in order that I want to move in the layout. In the layout tab I will type out "Reposition Selected Components" and it will move the part to your mouse cursor within the layout and if you have selected multiple parts within the schematic then after placing a part in the layout it will move on to the next part in the order you had selected them.

Hope this helps!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 10:22:56 pm »
Thanks VoltsandJolts

It does indeed work. Odd that it lists all parts of the same designator for all open projects, though.

When I first tried it, upon typing the first character it dropped a long list of items and docs that had nothing to do with what I was trying to accomplish, so I moved along thinking it wasn't working.

Also odd that the search window on the SchDoc side only directs you back to results on the PcbDoc side.

But at least the SchDoc side has a "real" menu item for finding parts  (Tools/Find/JumpToComponent). Makes you wonder if the Schematic capture team talks to the PCB Layout team! Wish they had left the Altium menu's intact and just grayed out features they didn't want Circuit Studio to have.

Hopefully they'll sort it out for a subsequent release.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 11:51:41 pm »
I usually type in and select "Cross Select Mode" within the search box, select the part or parts in order that I want to move in the layout. In the layout tab I will type out "Reposition Selected Components" and it will move the part to your mouse cursor within the layout and if you have selected multiple parts within the schematic then after placing a part in the layout it will move on to the next part in the order you had selected them.

Hope this helps!

Hi SlowerTech
How on earth did you figure that out? It's not working for me, maybe I'm phat fingering something.

Offline slowertech

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 12:42:17 am »
Hi SlowerTech
How on earth did you figure that out? It's not working for me, maybe I'm phat fingering something.

Haha, got irritated and just started trying to type things out.

Have not tried to make sure that this part is not important with Circuit Studio but I keep the schematics in one window and the layout in a separate window so I can see both at the same time.
Also I forgot to mention that I need to type in and select "Cross Select Mode" 2 times before it functions.

Let me know if that works for you.

Offline songshome

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 03:41:22 pm »
You must have cross select mode enabled both in sch and pcb. Cross select is under Home tab - Select - cross select. Shortcut alt, h, s cursor down and enter. Or you can type in search box.

If you have pcb in 3D mode, it works too. That is the beauty. Just enable PCB panel with components view active. After selecting schematic parts, footprints will become selected too. Now you can just rightclick on one off selected parts in panel and - Reposition components. I love this software.

And another beauty: Repositon components will work in order of selecting the components in schematics. For example: opamp, bypass caps, feedback resitor.... It can't be better.

Offline slowertech

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 01:34:09 am »
You must have cross select mode enabled both in sch and pcb. Cross select is under Home tab - Select - cross select. Shortcut alt, h, s cursor down and enter. Or you can type in search box.

If you have pcb in 3D mode, it works too. That is the beauty. Just enable PCB panel with components view active. After selecting schematic parts, footprints will become selected too. Now you can just rightclick on one off selected parts in panel and - Reposition components. I love this software.

And another beauty: Repositon components will work in order of selecting the components in schematics. For example: opamp, bypass caps, feedback resitor.... It can't be better.

Haha wow. This entire time I never knew it was under the home tab. Thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf