Author Topic: Anyone running with vbox under a non-windows host (e.g. linux)?  (Read 2857 times)

Offline evb149Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
I'm starting to evaluate it but thought I'd save the hassle of setting up a new machine by trying it under VB on my general LINUX dev. machine but it seems like there's what looks like it could be a DirectX / Shader model 3 compatibility problem with the setup where the symptoms are that the example schematics render / view OK but the PCB totally fails to render / view (black subwindow) for the PCB board and library examples.

Is anyone aware of a work-around or can confirm success with maybe some different host GPU driver / kernel or VB version or guest setup?

I tried all the guest addition 2D / 3D enabling and display options and nothing seems to help, though maybe a newer VB version could help though I don't see anything encouraging in the changelogs and there are still Shader Model 3 guest passthrough compatibility bugs listed from 5 years ago that haven't been "CLOSED".....

I guess CS has not got some of the DirectX use control settings that full AD had / has unless I'm missing something available in the features / settings.

VMWARE claims to have DX + SM3 support maybe that'll work...? 

Or maybe I should just invest the time and set up a bare metal sandbox to use with it though windows...ugh.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
Re: Anyone running with vbox under a non-windows host (e.g. linux)?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 06:17:42 am »
On my hardware, VMware runs very nice on Ubuntu as the host and  also on another machine as Windows 10 host

The following users thanked this post: evb149

Offline lty1993

• Supporter
    • LTY's Space
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 02:02:47 am »
CS works fine in VBox on my Arch Linux.

Which graphic card and driver did you use on your host machine?

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 02:51:15 am »
I'm starting to evaluate it but thought I'd save the hassle of setting up a new machine by trying it under VB on my general LINUX dev. machine but it seems like there's what looks like it could be a DirectX / Shader model 3 compatibility problem with the setup where the symptoms are that the example schematics render / view OK but the PCB totally fails to render / view (black subwindow) for the PCB board and library examples.

Is anyone aware of a work-around or can confirm success with maybe some different host GPU driver / kernel or VB version or guest setup?

Or maybe I should just invest the time and set up a bare metal sandbox to use with it though windows...ugh.

FWIW, I run a win7 guest under virtualbox on a Linux Mint 17.0 host. I had problems with a mechanical CAD package on the win7 guest - it wouldn't display properly. Gaming s/w tends not to run on it either. My guess is that the virtual graphics card on the guest just doesn't provide what CAD and gaming s/w need.

So I installed win7 on a separate HDD on the same PC. When I need to, I select native win7 during boot-up.

Offline Naguissa

• Regular Contributor
    • Foro de electricidad, electrónica y DIY / HUM en español
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 05:49:53 am »
I use VB on Gentoo Linux from time to time with no problem. As said before, witch graphics driver are you using on host?

Enviado desde mi Jolla mediante Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf