Low Cost PCB's Low Cost Components

Author Topic: Circuit Studio reboot  (Read 23443 times)

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Circuit Studio reboot
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2016, 12:23:43 AM »
Altium stock price has increased a 100 fold since it lowest level .....

Yep, most of this increase has occurred since the board sacked the founding CEO Nick Martin. The best thing that has happened to Altium in the past 20 years.

Just ask Dave ............... he used to work with (for) Nick.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline blackfin76

• Contributor
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2016, 01:06:11 AM »

Yep, most of this increase has occurred since the board sacked the founding CEO Nick Martin. The best thing that has happened to Altium in the past 20 years.

Did anything improve since then? It's been a couple of years since I used AD but I remember it was full of bugs and they kept adding features without improving stability.
Last time I spoke to a salesperson they asked about €7k for a single license.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Frequent Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2016, 01:18:48 AM »

Did anything improve since then? It's been a couple of years since I used AD but I remember it was full of bugs and they kept adding features without improving stability.
Last time I spoke to a salesperson they asked about €7k for a single license.

Plus the subscription fee.

My feeling is that it is less bugy than it used to be (ie less crashes, less work lost etc) and some added features evn add extra value (but not exactly all)..
An engineer never has a problem. He just needs more time.

FS: Keihtley 238, LeCroy SDA100G (50GHz and 20GHz + TDR module availble), Chroma 6304 + 2 x 63006, TTi TSX1820P, Yokogawa DL9240L (4ch 1.5GHz), TDS754D, HP 8591E, TDS580D

Offline leonhart88

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2017, 04:05:54 AM »
I had licencing issues when we first bought it (it was on sale for $600!), and it took at least a month or so to figure out what the issue was.  Element14/Newark support was not helpful at all, but the guys at Altium were quick to resolve the issue.  I don't really understand why they have to partner with Element14/Newark, they're completely useless!

As for the software itself, for non power users, I found it was actually pretty good compared to my previous work in Altium Designer.  Sure, there are some things that are missing, but I was able to easily import my library files, rules, etc. and most of the functionality for simple boards was there.  I'm still able to import a DXF for a board shape, and export a .STEP 3D file to check fits into my parts, which is crucial when doing mechanical and electronics assemblies.

For $600 I'm actually pretty happy with it.  If you're a power user though I can understand that missing features would kill productivity compared to Altium Designer, but for me, the functionality is similar enough that I can recommend it.

Offline GlowingGhoul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2017, 04:11:18 AM »
"ricktusl" is a troll who's sole purpose in creating an account seems to be to bash a piece of software he's never used with the same message posted over and over.

Reported with a ban to follow hopefully.

Offline taydin

• Contributor
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2017, 07:16:31 AM »
Guys, I tried finding any information about the upgrade price from circuit studio to full altium designer, but nothing seems to be showing up. Does anybody know what the upgrade price would be? I want to take advantage of the eagle trade in deal that's going on for circuit studio and I'm hoping that it will be (even if slightly) cheaper to upgrade to AD instead of buying it up front.

Offline evb149

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2017, 09:09:12 AM »
I thought the eagle promotional upgrade thing was over since the beginning of July.

It seems like I have heard somewhere (I did not personally confirm it) of being able to upgrade from one to the other based on the cost difference between them but I don't know the exact amount.  Back before July when they had the eagle to circuit studio discount going on I seem to recall that they also advertised 40% off Altium designer and some people reportedly said that they were quoted prices around $4500. USD for the full AD more like $6000 with maintenance added though you'll have to check the details to be more precise.  So as far as I know the "real price" of Designer seems to fluctuate based on geographic location, season of the year, whether they have any particular discount active at the time, and also significantly how inclined / disinclined they are to offer you / your company a discount beyond the current "list price" based upon .....?

I think they're about to launch AD18 in October so maybe that will be reflected with some promotional pricing if they're trying to compete with Eagle / OrCad / whatever, who knows.

Guys, I tried finding any information about the upgrade price from circuit studio to full altium designer, but nothing seems to be showing up. Does anybody know what the upgrade price would be? I want to take advantage of the eagle trade in deal that's going on for circuit studio and I'm hoping that it will be (even if slightly) cheaper to upgrade to AD instead of buying it up front.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf