Author Topic: CircuitStudio Tutorial videos  (Read 5621 times)

Offline JamesH-AltiumOfficialTopic starter

• Contributor
CircuitStudio Tutorial videos
« on: June 04, 2017, 01:57:30 am »
Hi All,

For those of you evaluating CircuitStudio, or even already using CircuitStudio, check out the new video series on how to get started and become productive quickly, with this professional PCB tool!

Getting Started with CircuitStudio: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpely84OweTnnWarj2ku0w14j-9arQBUG

The videos will play in order, and each has a link at the end for the next and previous videos. Enjoy!

Best regards,

James Harriman
Altium

The following users thanked this post: johnboxall, negativ3, voltsandjolts, ebclr, slowertech, 2N3055

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
Re: CircuitStudio Tutorial videos
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 10:14:03 am »
Thanks for the videos. Is there any way to report bugs besides the forum?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 01:23:25 pm »
James,

thanks for the videos. They are quite nice. I hope there will be more of them, covering more detail..

I personally didn't use Altium Designer, and coming from other products, I mainly need introduction to workflow and concepts behind it, and more detailed explanations of some finer points. 

These videos gave better understanding about general concepts how Circuitstudio works..  Thanks for that.

But I have many more questions about details. For instance, I find Creating outputs a bit confusing.. I usually use same board house for most of my work. Can I setup a template that will guarantee I always have same setup for gerbers, drill etc.. that I agreed with them?

Also, please could someone make "cheat sheets" in pdf for keyboard shortcuts in each module? One page per PCB, one page for SCH.. It would be great help. It is much more handy (pardon the pun) than online help..

Thanks!

Best regards,
Sinisa

Offline GlowingGhoul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 07:51:32 pm »
Thanks for these videos, very helpful for non-AD users.

I second the request for cheat sheets.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:50:02 am »
Hi Dubbie,

As well as asking other users here on EEVblog or users on the Element14 Community Forums, for CircuitStudio support please directly contact software@element14.com
Please also see the product FAQ page: http://www.circuitstudio.com/circuitstudio-support to answer some common questions about our perpetual licensing and other frequently asked questions.

Best regards,

James Harriman
Altium

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 10:51:35 am »
Hi Sinisa,

Indeed other videos are planned since they work so well and as you pointed out they are great at introducing the workflow of CircuitStudio in a real-life way, with a lot of tips and shortcuts thrown in.

The Project > Generate Outputs dialog creates an "OutJob" file with the same base filename as the project. Each time the dialog is closed or an output generated, the OutJob file is updated with the latest settings.

You could manually back up the OutJob file with the project so that next time the same settings will be used and you could even make several copies of the OutJob file and then put back the version you'd like to use prior to opening the Generate Outputs dialog, although this isn't a documented feature of CircuitStudio! (Altium Designer supports multiple OutJob files in the Projects panel, but CircuitStudio does not.)

@2N3055 @GlowingGhoul The "cheat sheets" sound like a good idea, I'll see what I can do for this. I assume you already saw View > Shortcuts panel? These are quite accurate, although in PCB this one is missing: Shift+L shortcut for View Configurations (to turn layers on and off and setting Draft mode, etc).

If you're interactively routing and press the ~ key (below esc), you can see the shortcuts that can be used while using that command.

Also there are a few commands you can type into the search field at the top right of the software, that aren't available in regular shortcuts or in the menu system:

*While you have a PCB focused, search for the string, and hit Enter to run the following commands:
Search for create region: Convert > Create Region from selected primitives
Search for fit board: View > Fit Board (fits to board shape than Ctrl+PgDn Zoom All)

*While you have a PCB or SCH focused, search for the string, and hit Enter to run the following commands:
Search for jump comp: Jump > Component

*While you have a PCB Library focused:
Search for component wizard: Click on the Tools > Component Wizard option (there is an IPC option but it is not available in CircuitStudio).
Search for report: Click on the Reports > Library report to create a Word doc with a picture and information about each footprint.

Best regards,

James Harriman
Altium

The following users thanked this post: evb149, 2N3055

Offline DIPLover

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 07:58:55 pm »
Have just finished watching the videos and I wanted to say that they are indeed excellent.

I found the pacing to be just right and the commentary to be very good.

Please make many more!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf