Author Topic: CircuitStudio v1.4  (Read 13567 times)

Offline slowertechTopic starter

• Contributor
CircuitStudio v1.4
« on: March 24, 2017, 05:15:55 pm »

Offline takahidehimself

• Contributor
    • Thorntwig Technologies
Re: CircuitStudio v1.4
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 07:26:23 pm »
Seems like they've also done something about DPI awareness? Although the text in library panel is still tiny.
Sr. R&D Electronics Engineer @ 33 4d 20 50 65 6c 74 6f 72 20 52 26 44
Electronics Designer @ Thorntwig Technologies

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 07:27:45 pm »
I updated to ver 1.4 and now have a license error:

WTF???

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 08:58:38 pm »
Seems like they've also done something about DPI awareness? Although the text in library panel is still tiny.

My observation as well. There seems to be an overall improvement, but the library font is ridiculously tiny. I've ended up re-applying your workaround to the manifest file anyway. Well, perhaps in 1.5... ;)

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 09:03:19 pm »

WTF???

Same here. Funny how it shows the Schuko/CEE 7/6 plug instead of the Australian AS/NZS 3112 ;) But apart from the weird error message it doesn't seem to affect my trial license in any obvious way.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: CircuitStudio v1.4 : UPDATE : Solved
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 09:15:49 pm »

WTF???

Same here. Funny how it shows the Schuko/CEE 7/6 plug instead of the Australian AS/NZS 3112 ;) But apart from the weird error message it doesn't seem to affect my trial license in any obvious way.

I actually purchased commercial license... It is confused what is the status of licensing I guess.
I sent mail to altiumsupport@farnell.com... We'll see..

But I must say I was pissed of how unstable release system is... This is basic functionality, license,.

I hope it won't be as quirky as Eagle is now...

We'll see..

UPDATE: Altium support contacted me and sorted all out in few hours. Great support!! Big thanks to James and Dmitry!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:23:04 pm by 2N3055 »

Offline Dmitry

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 09:23:45 pm »
Hello,
Can I ask for your UserName, under which you make the login to the Altium?

Thank you!
Dmitry

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 09:37:17 pm »
Hello,
Can I ask for your UserName, under which you make the login to the Altium?

Thank you!
Dmitry

Well you may ask.....:-))
And why pray tell..?  Sorry I'm not going to publish license details online just like that...

Offline Dmitry

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 09:41:46 pm »
It's ok :)
And can you please repeat your question without any additional information on http://forum.circuitstudio.com?

I will see your post and will try to help you!

The following users thanked this post: GlowingGhoul, 2N3055

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 09:47:58 pm »
It's ok :)
And can you please repeat your question without any additional information on http://forum.circuitstudio.com?

I will see your post and will try to help you!

It says: insufficient rights to access this forum...... :-((
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:56:01 pm by 2N3055 »

Offline JamesH-AltiumOfficial

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 11:14:22 pm »
Hi 2N3055,

I just PM'd my email address to you so that I can forward your details to Dmitry.

Best regards,

James Harriman
Altium

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 11:17:09 pm »
I have to share this with everybody...

I got contacted by Altium support and they fixed it on the spot.
Works perfect now.

This was awesome experience..

Big plus for Altium in my book.  :-+

Thanks Dmitry... As soon as we figure out technicalities, beer's on me!!

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 11:18:37 pm »
Hi 2N3055,

I just PM'd my email address to you so that I can forward your details to Dmitry.

Best regards,

James Harriman
Altium

Big thanks to you too.. Great work people!!

Have a good one James!!

The following users thanked this post: GlowingGhoul, JamesH-AltiumOfficial

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 11:31:30 pm »
Nice new release - now CS 1.4 is better at importing Eagle than reading Altium Designer files - hurrah... (Labels are still not placed quite right on boards but better than before..)

And now on my computer Libraries are setup with a crazy small font size - which is unreadable both on 100% and 200% screens

Off to try Manifest fix...

Offline takahidehimself

• Contributor
    • Thorntwig Technologies
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 11:42:27 pm »
I have to share this with everybody...

I got contacted by Altium support and they fixed it on the spot.
Works perfect now.

This was awesome experience..

Big plus for Altium in my book.  :-+

Thanks Dmitry... As soon as we figure out technicalities, beer's on me!!

Nice! I hope someone from Farnell/element14 will reply to my email any day soon regarding a license issue/question I have (a work week has passed)...
I might have screwed up the activation whilst playing around so this could very well be a PEBKAC thingie, but I get a dialog window telling me that the license can't be renewed because I can only use the license on a single PC.
Sr. R&D Electronics Engineer @ 33 4d 20 50 65 6c 74 6f 72 20 52 26 44
Electronics Designer @ Thorntwig Technologies

Offline slowertechTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 12:38:49 am »
Nice! I hope someone from Farnell/element14 will reply to my email any day soon regarding a license issue/question I have (a work week has passed)...
I might have screwed up the activation whilst playing around so this could very well be a PEBKAC thingie, but I get a dialog window telling me that the license can't be renewed because I can only use the license on a single PC.

I have had a very poor experience with them replying to emails. You could try posting here, https://www.element14.com/community/community/manufacturers/altium That worked for me. I also ended up talking to someone from Altium and asking them for help with the email/questions I had.

Offline stuartk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 03:04:15 am »
I had purchased CS and I also have the same license error dialog box opening up. When I check my license I still have "Infinite" duration, so this seems like a minor bug.

Can an Altium rep direct me to the right place/person to fix this? Or are you planning on a patch, as the program still seems otherwise fully functional?

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 07:17:10 am »

It's an improvement bar the library. I'm sure Altium are here taking notes. Well I hope so anyway.
Now I can actually use CS on my notebook with 3000x2000 pixel display (Surface Book).
However a few scaling discrepancies still pop-up, but nothing critical. Example:

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 09:17:51 pm »

It's an improvement bar the library. I'm sure Altium are here taking notes. Well I hope so anyway.
Now I can actually use CS on my notebook with 3000x2000 pixel display (Surface Book).
However a few scaling discrepancies still pop-up, but nothing critical. Example:

You'd think a big company could arrange a couple high res monitors for their programmers in a few days to sort this sort of thing out.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 02:59:21 pm »
Anyone noticed in the What's new document how they mention polygon priorities, polygon and net classes addition not as much as new features worth having as such but as needed in order to maintain full Eagle import compatibility? That's market competition working for you :-+

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 10:33:57 pm »
Anyone noticed in the What's new document how they mention polygon priorities, polygon and net classes addition not as much as new features worth having as such but as needed in order to maintain full Eagle import compatibility? That's market competition working for you :-+

Yeah, it's nice they've fixed a few things, though I'm disappointed that it looks like their changes are being driven by Eagle import issues rather than the significant issues regularly being brought up by users.

For example if you go through the threads asking for support and look at the ones where there's simply no work around to a real problem, it's almost always because of a lack of effective filtered selection (i.e. the "find similar objects" or query panel in AD).  This is a fundamental feature that can get you into a real pickle in some situations without. This has been popping up for at least a year, it's been acknowledged as an issue by Altium, yet there seems no willingness/priority to pull it back into the CS build from the AD line.

Then there's the mechanical side of things, a broken old version of their step file exporter (yep it has the bugs of the step file export from AD of almost a decade ago) and no DXF export.  It's pretty sad there isn't a simple way of exporting a board outline and mounting hole locations to a CAD package.

The following users thanked this post: Zbig

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2017, 06:07:45 am »
Wow, didn't know that. I was going to bite the bullet and get it today, supposedly the last day of the discount, but I guess I'll reconsider. Thank you.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 07:57:49 am »
I think you should reconsider reconsidering!

CS has some great features and for me feels like a very productive environment. Given Eagle's recent changes and the current CS offer price I think it is a strong contender.
Yes, the DXF board outline export can be a PITA but in reality most board outlines can be redrawn in MCAD in 2 minutes.

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 08:37:07 am »
Likewise, I complain a lot about some of the decisions Altium have made with this tool, but I still believe it's the best in the price range on the market.  At 50% price and with Eagle doing what they've done I think it's a no brainer to get CS.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 12:01:26 pm »
At 50% price and with Eagle doing what they've done I think it's a no brainer to get CS.

Where I live, that's still about 35% of my monthly salary. At a full price it was simply out of scope for my hobbyist use. Now it's worth considering but still far from no brainer for folks like me, unfortunately. It sucks when you decide to shell out this much and then read they've messed up rotation of components (as per your own other post) and offer dirty workarounds for that :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf