Author Topic: Create an extra origin in PCB library mode  (Read 2635 times)

Offline taydinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Create an extra origin in PCB library mode
« on: August 27, 2017, 01:33:10 pm »
Hi, i'm trying to create a footprint for a transformer. The mechanical diagram of the part always shows measurements between pads and not to an absolute origin. So is there a way for me to move the origin to the center of the first pad and place the second pad relative to it?

And another related question, when placing parts, I'm wondering if there is an easy way to just enter the distance instead of slowly sneaking in to the distance and zooming in to get the fractional distance right?
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Offline tarribred61

• Contributor
Re: Create an extra origin in PCB library mode
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 12:01:45 pm »
Yes to both questions.  These are quite basic operations.

Origin on a footprint is set by the references command.  You can set it to pin 1, center of the body, or pick a location with the mouse.
To enter component X and Y location, just double click on it and enter it directly in relation to the PCB origin.  The double click will bring up a pop-up box with component properties.  If you want to change the units from mils to mm then use the CTRL-Q to toggle.

Offline tarribred61

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 12:06:54 pm »
The references command is under the home tab and in the grids and units section of the command ribbon.  It is normal to have the component origin be the component body and not pin 1.  However, there may be cases where you would use pin 1.  You can set it to pin 1 and then build your footprint and then if needed set it to the component body center.

Offline taydinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 09:17:49 pm »
Thanks for the response, so easy once you know it :)
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf