Low Cost PCB's Low Cost Components

Author Topic: Half price Circuit Studio  (Read 19885 times)

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
Half price Circuit Studio
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2017, 11:12:15 AM »
I suspect they have found that $500 is what the market will pay. I bet the sales dried up to just above zero when they went back up to 1K

I know that $500 was the most I was willing to pay.

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Half price Circuit Studio
« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2017, 08:45:05 PM »
I know that $500 was the most I was willing to pay.
+1

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Sparky Lab's
« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2017, 04:34:03 AM »
Why does CS not support Allium binary files?

Because Altium admit know knowledge of CS while farnell trumpet about how it is basically Altium. Even library files that you can download from altium are not made available in CS format even though they support competitor formats but then it's the same anyway but it's like again they won't admit to CS.
The µCurrent has landed in Europe and now also selling Probe Master probes: http://www.simonselectronics.co.uk New stock now in.

Online jmarkwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2017, 11:14:25 PM »
I'm happy with Circuit Studio and looking forward to the updates.

:)

Me too.

I've been using Protel/Altium since the mid 90's, but never did use the FPGA tools, simulator, nor the embedded development tools.

I am happy that Circuit Studio came along so I can afford a reasonable facsimile of Altium for retirement.

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2017, 05:31:36 PM »
I'm happy with Circuit Studio and looking forward to the updates.

:)

Me too.

I've been using Protel/Altium since the mid 90's, but never did use the FPGA tools, simulator, nor the embedded development tools.

I am happy that Circuit Studio came along so I can afford a reasonable facsimile of Altium for retirement.

Likewise.  There's lot of things that drove me nuts at first until I found a work around (i.e. came up with some sort of hack.)  However the alternative was $10k AUD out of my own pocket for AD, or learn another tool from scratch (but most of my customers wanted Altium files anyway.)

So is the pain work $10k AUD?  In my case, absolutely.

Offline GlowingGhoul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2017, 03:06:57 AM »
Precisely. An excellent tool for the money.

Hopefully Altium is smart enough to realize that supporting this properly for the semi-professional and hobbyist market will have a long term "halo" effect on commercial sales of Altium. If they'd move support back in house for instance, I'd say at $499 this could become the standard for serious hobbyists. Support and polish is where they can really differentiate from the open source competition in this area.

Tell them JamesH. It would be too easy for a non-long term thinker to let Circuit Studio die on the vine because they're only looking at the sales figures and profit of this product in isolation. No doubt this will end up in the hands of people who will ultimately be influencers in companies they work, or will work for in the future. Consider it a marketing tool.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 03:20:53 AM by GlowingGhoul »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Sparky Lab's
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2017, 05:09:47 PM »
Hopefully, so far they practically deny it's existance and any search for circuit studio just points you back to element14
The µCurrent has landed in Europe and now also selling Probe Master probes: http://www.simonselectronics.co.uk New stock now in.

Offline DIPLover

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #132 on: July 11, 2017, 06:02:25 AM »
Finally received my licence today, took them a week.

I still had days left on the trial so nothing was lost but when I inquired about the delay last week, Newark told me they had a backlog due to strong demand during the sale. Hopefully, more users will help CS get the love it deserves from the developers.

Hopefully, so far they practically deny it's existance and any search for circuit studio just points you back to element14

How many times in the same thread must you make the same point Simon?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:04:58 AM by DIPLover »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Sparky Lab's
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2017, 04:54:36 PM »
maybe as many times as they bang on about how it is a version of Altium Designer, I mean if altium is as buggy as CS then I'd never buy it.

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2017, 06:09:25 PM »
I mean if altium is as buggy as CS then I'd never buy it.

No it's not as buggy.  But either way it all comes down to options, and there aren't a lot of good alternatives in either CS or AD's price bracket.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Sparky Lab's
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2017, 05:08:34 AM »
So the stripping down of AD to CS has created issues :( I get numerous memory address access violations.

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2017, 07:49:20 AM »
So the stripping down of AD to CS has created issues :( I get numerous memory address access violations.

It's not "just" a stripped down version.  People are commonly comparing it to AD17, the current release of AD. But when you dig around in the back end and look at how some of the features are implemented, my guess is CS is built off Altium Designer 09 or similar.  Some of the missing features aren't just Altium removing them from AD, but are a result of them using an older AD codebase.

Offline evb149

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2017, 09:05:57 AM »
Well I haven't used CS that heavily yet and others have used AD more heavily than I.  But in my experience I found that "error dialogs" could happen from around several times a day to maybe several times a week depending on usage type and intensity.  In CS I typically find myself getting error dialogs also several times a day.   
In both products when one was less lucky one might well find oneself in a situation where you pretty much are guaranteed to get an error dialog just about every time you try to do a certain operation if it doesn't "like something" about your operation vs. your design structure at that point in the design.   Usually you can find some work-around if you can notice that you tend to get more errors popping up for certain configurations / operations you can examine and experiment with your settings to see if you were doing something wrong that it didn't handle well or if your design was OK but AD just didn't like something about it that could be worked around somehow.

In the worst cases I've seen AD would basically crash every time doing some operation and only changing / reverting some part of the design would get around it.  So far I haven't seen anything quite that bad with CS but I wouldn't say it really behaves much differently / better than full AD did.

I'm always nervous about "forging ahead" after such an error dialog happens since usually (for CS / SW in general) that could mean that something is corrupted and saving after that point could just "permanently" corrupt your project.  But so far (lacking a better option) it has seemed that just restarting / reloading / trying again or whatever seemed to work out OK except for the anxiety and frustration about the error's nature / possible effects.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2017, 10:09:35 AM »
.... in my experience I found that "error dialogs" could happen from around several times a day to maybe several times a week depending on usage type and intensity.

I've actually used Altium (Protel in the early days) since 1988, but for these last 2 years I've swapped over to DipTrace (which I find more productive for the boards I am designing - normally 80 to 200 components with 500 to 1000 pads).

You can reduce the errors that Altium throws up by ensuring you run an Intel processor (as specifically recommended by Altium) over an AMD, making sure you have plenty of RAM (ie 8GB) & have a good video card (with 1GB or 2GB of memory) & up to date drivers for it.

If you do all of the above & don't have too many other programs running alongside Altium, you should find it to be very stable.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

The following users thanked this post: evb149

Offline evb149

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2017, 02:45:34 PM »
Thank you for the tips.  I was unaware of the applicable memory and particularly CPU brand limitations.
Presently it seems like I am operating contrary to both suggestions but I haven't really got set up a system appropriate to use it long term so far I have just been experimenting with it and evaluating its potential.  I guess it will be my choice for personal use going forward so I will have to set up something better to run it.

The kinds of errors I have been recently seeing seemed mostly at first glance to be in the "bug" category maybe race / file locking & sharing conditions on shared files for a project library problem I saw or maybe just a logic bug for some PCB object  "rendering" issues I saw on the overlay layer etc.  Then again there were some not obviously attributable "memory access" violation error messages too.  I guess those could have been RAM / CPU related more likely.  I would not be surprised to run into the kinds of problems you suggest for the reasons you suggest as I delve into more complex features and more demanding uses.

I never did get around to trying DipTrace.  Mostly I have used OrCad / Pads / Altium / DesignSpark / Kicad / Eagle at various times.  Of those at the moment Circuit Studio seems like a pragmatic OK choice for me to use until something better comes along.  I can see what you mean about the productivity, though, I am always running into workflows and limitations that I wish were not implemented as they were in either Altium Designer or Circuit Studio, but also I have not found the other packages I have yet tried to be overall better than Altium in UX.  There is room for much improvement.

.... in my experience I found that "error dialogs" could happen from around several times a day to maybe several times a week depending on usage type and intensity.

I've actually used Altium (Protel in the early days) since 1988, but for these last 2 years I've swapped over to DipTrace (which I find more productive for the boards I am designing - normally 80 to 200 components with 500 to 1000 pads).

You can reduce the errors that Altium throws up by ensuring you run an Intel processor (as specifically recommended by Altium) over an AMD, making sure you have plenty of RAM (ie 8GB) & have a good video card (with 1GB or 2GB of memory) & up to date drivers for it.

If you do all of the above & don't have too many other programs running alongside Altium, you should find it to be very stable.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Sparky Lab's
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2017, 04:31:45 PM »

Latest intel i7 processor and 16GB of RAM, but I am running on intel HD graphics so maybe it objects to internal graphics cards on laptops. My PC is AMD with an independant graphics card so not sure which would work out best

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf