Author Topic: Solved, obsolete.  (Read 3906 times)

Offline evb149Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Solved, obsolete.
« on: July 13, 2017, 03:41:37 am »
Solved, obsolete.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 12:59:13 pm by evb149 »

Offline tarribred61

• Contributor
Re: Layer assignment standards? Other CS best practices?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:56:16 pm »
Wow, that is a lot of material to cover in an answer.  Here is my two cents....

I found the default layer names in CS to be good enough and close to what I used to use when I used Altium Designer.  I don't use Assembly Text Top or Bottom but put the .Designator special string on the Assembly Top in PCB symbols along with an outline box.  This then makes the assembly drawing.  For very small parts (0402 and smaller) I make the assembly layer outline box as big as possible (as big as the courtyard).  On larger parts I make it the size of the component body.

You don't need the .Designator string on the silkscreen layers as it will automatically be done.

As for parameter names, make them whatever you want.  I haven't found any standards.  Where I worked previously (under AD) these parameter names were used as key field names and sorted and matched to an MRP system.  At a minimum you want.
CompName   ; this is special and you can put =CompName in the Default Comment box and make it visible.
Component Description ;
ComponentLink1URL text; where text is what you put for the URL of a manufacturer
ComponentLink1Description  text; where text is "Manufacturer Link"

You can have more; make then ComponentLink2URL, ComponentLink3URL, etc. I hope you get the idea.

Manufacturer Name
Manufacturer Part Number
Package Type
Value  (for passives)

I also put a field named Component DNP that I can then set to (DNP) and make visible on the schematic for parts I don't want populated.

With these fields you can make a reasonable BOM and get it out into an Excel file.  Web search on Altium Designer BOM templates on how to do that.

For parameters I also have other fields specific to parts.  For example you need a Value field for resistors, capacitors but maybe not for ICs.  I also have a Value Note field that I can add non-standard notes (e.g. a non-standard tolerance, resistor power rating, capacitor dielectric type, etc).
You may want a local part number field if you use an MRP system you want to cross reference.
You may want an alternative/substitute part number if you want this information also.

If you work with other CAD packages you might want to coordinate parameter names between them.

If you pull from the vault then you will see you need to add in the parameters to get what you want.  So I tend to make a part from my template, edit the parameters and then copy/paste in the symbol primitives from a vault example.  You will find that CS has issues trying to copy/paste primitives from the symbols though.  I can get it to work by being patient and knowing you need an extra left click to set the origin of the copy.

The following users thanked this post: evb149

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf