Author Topic: mirroring ports  (Read 3395 times)

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
mirroring ports
« on: July 01, 2017, 06:30:26 pm »
I am creating a schematic, it has an AVR and naturally I'll be adding the standard 6 pin header to the board to program it with. To not make a mess of the schematic I use ports. So I have created the ports for the header all going on way all labelled up and just the way I want them.

So I assume that I can copy these and mirror/rotate them as my AVR pins face the other way, but it seems not, I can get the connection point to move round or it it that I can make an electrical connection either side ? but the actual shape will not mirror. Have i got to create every port manually ?

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: mirroring ports
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 06:50:29 pm »
Correction to the above, I can't make a port do anything but point right, even a fresh one.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 06:57:00 pm »
Right, seems like it won't change until a wire is joined and then it automatically puts the point to the wire side, a most confusing thing considering there is left/right settings and in/out settings, settings coming out of it's wazu that make no difference and therefore no sense.

Online ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 07:03:55 pm »
Is this on the schematic or a PCB?

On the schematic you can mirror right and left by the x key when you hold the component.  You can flip up and down with the y key. 

On the pcboard grab the component and hit the space bar and it will rotate in 90 degree steps each time.

Andy

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 07:12:40 pm »
Yes I tried flipping but nothing happens to the orientation of the shape, you can also select a left or right stle in the dialog box but this does absolutely nothing. All that works is to choose input or output and then the port will orient itself relative to the wire no matter what else you do which is stupid. So to make sure my wire is on the pointy side (because that's the way I like it) I just have to select every port to be an input. Bit of a fail really.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 07:35:50 pm »
What software are you using?

As implied earlier (I think), one needs to be careful mirroring something on the PCB, as that may put it on an opposite layer (i.e, top to bottom).  The schematic is much more of a "drawing" program with no top or bottom surfaces, and I have never had a problem mirroring on the schematic using Eagle. 

It might help if you could post a snippet of the problem area and tell us the part number.

John

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 07:43:29 pm »
It's circuit studio and it's schematics and it's placing ports not components. Half the options in the dialog box seem redundant, it's like someone came up with a cool idea to make things easier and forgot to take out the old redundant and now inoperative options.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 08:03:02 pm »
If you want to move the ports around on a chip, you need to make a new symbol.  Mirroring in Eagle just gives a mirror.

Some symbol libraries have two or more versions of a chip.  One duplicates the physical order, and the other has a more convenient (according to some) ordering of the pins.

If it is a logic gate or other device with "swapable" ports/pins, then Eagle uses the "gateswap" command.

I suspect those operations are pretty common between programs.

John

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 08:13:49 pm »
Port direction gives a visual indication of direction.  Off-sheet connectors have this option as well.

As you note, it isn't meaningful until connected, and may not be afterwards, either...

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 07:26:39 am »
Port direction gives a visual indication of direction.  Off-sheet connectors have this option as well.

As you note, it isn't meaningful until connected, and may not be afterwards, either...

Tim

Well I thought ports were off sheet connectors as well, The in/out is simply a graphical matter, as it happens i like all of mine to look like in just for the shape of them :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf