Author Topic: [drawn and shipped] World wide FREE giveaway starter package.  (Read 15594 times)

Offline frozenfrogzTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
Dear all,

I am putting together a tool kit for one of you to win. The gear is pretty basic and partly "vintage", but I hope it will do good for someone having to start from zero on a tight budget. All of the items are from my personal stock.
Since I want the give away to be absolutely free of charge - no strings attached - it is a restricted offer to EEVbees from the EU. I simply can not afford world wide shipping.

Good news everyone! I just got a private message from a fellow EEVbee wanting to chime in with quite some coin so this will be world wide shipping!

Here is what you will get:
  • Voltcraft 1536 oscilloscope (schematics and manual included as PDF)
  • new Hantek PP-80 probe
  • Voltcraft 6010 DMM, 10A Version with Uni-T test leads
  • Cypress FX2LP CYC68013A logic analyzer
  • Casio fx-115s scientific calculator w/ solar and new backup battery
  • "third hand" flexible part holder and magnifying glass
  • piano wire cutter
  • combination pliers (lineman’s pliers)
  • tweezers (3mm rounded with grippy texture)
  • watchmakers screwdriver with exchangeable blades (flat 3x0.4mm, 2.5x0.4mm, 2x0.3mm, 1.5x0.3mm1.5x0.5mm)
  • simple snap-off blade knife
  • allen wrenches (1.5mm, 3mm, 5mm so far, need to check the attic... )
  • small specialty screw drivers (TX 1.5, tri-wing 1 and 2, Frearson 2mm)
  • set of CrV precision screw drivers with swivel end caps (TX 15, TX 20, PH #00, PH #0, 3.5 x 0.8 mm, 3 x 0.6 mm, 2.5 x 0.5 mm)
  • Bosch bit set
  • manual solder sucking pump
  • AideTek 4mm test leads, stainless needle probes, alligator clips, regular probes
  • 3D printed probes and test leads organizer
  • custom made PTFE sticker removal tool
Some more items may be added along the way depending on what shows up at my door in the next couple of days, but basically that is what I can offer at the moment.

Terms of application:

Please be kind and only apply if you are just starting out. If you already own some decent gear, leave the opportunity to those who don’t :)

You may apply by commenting to the thread with this emoji :-BROKE and a short description of what you are working on or why you want to get into electronics. Also, please set the country flag in your profile. Since this is now open world wide, I will have to check shipping rates and if special export conditions apply. Of course, this will not bias the drawing! I simply want to make sure that the shipment will be able to reach its destination.

You may also apply in similar way in favor of someone you know on the forums that you think could very well use the kit.

Other comments are welcome too - or if you would like to contribute to the kit yourself, please speak up.

The winner will be drawn on March 20th, 2018 - that is eleven days to go from today. So spread the word and share your stories!

Kind regards,
Frederik
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:56:33 am by frozenfrogz »
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

The following users thanked this post: ModemHead, firehopper, JJalling, BillyD, thm_w, calmtron, tooki, cvanc, Mickster, imidis, LeoTech, niladherbert

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FREE giveaway starter package - simple scope, logic analyzer, DMM,...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 12:48:37 pm »
I am happy to be able to give you this awesome update:

Fellow EEVblog member sokoloff contacted me with an incredibly generous offer:
Putting his money in the hat to make this offer open for world wide shipping!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

!!! Thank you very much for supporting this !!!

Though now offering is world wide, please bare in mind that the oscilloscope is 230V/50Hz mains ONLY!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:38:59 pm by frozenfrogz »

The following users thanked this post: lpc32

Offline CharlieO21

Hello everyone :-BROKE,

I'm working as a freelance and own project, on my city we still have mechanical water meters and that is a generalized problem, I'm making an ultrasonic water meter that send the data to a server, so the company could have better readings of the water consumed and the customers could be sure that the charge is OK. I have others ideas but it's difficult work at the same time on many projects.

Offline niladherbert

• Contributor
 :-BROKE I am currently an A level student who is seeking to study as an electrical and electronic engineer next year. I currently am trying to learn of the internet as much as I can before starting out on some more ambitious projects. Most of my projects so far have been copy and pasting arduino and raspberry pi stuff, then changing variables to see how things react. I would really like to start building homebrew computers and think that I could use these items. Also I have found an 8088 IBM PC compatible honeywell with no keyboard or monitor so The oscilloscope would help to figure out how to convert the cga to something usable. Also I'd love to try the various oscilloscope demos out there

Offline HecticZA

• Contributor
:-BROKE

Always had a love for electronics of some sort but life took me on a different path.

Sort of got back on path when we started incorporating computers in my work environment. I had a natural knack although it went more in a software and training direction in my work.

In my spare time I started tinkering with pc's and did a couple of courses and started repairing and selling in my spare time.

Health issues then had impact (Diabetes and couple of other issues) and I was declared medically unfit at a young age.

Due to my relative few service years, it had a huge impact on the finances for our family.

I fell back on my pc repair knowledge and started repairing PSU's and screens, although on a very basic level.

Again Diabetes impacted my life after about 10 years.

My eyesight went bad at an alarming rate.
Even worse, I had 2 amputations on my right foot and was warned that I would probably lose both my legs within 3 years.

I was forced to stop working on cumputers.

I decided to fight back in order to save my legs and reduce the burden on my wife in the process.

In the last 3 years I've changed my life ito overall health in a big way.

I was daily on about 500 units of insulin, and pills for the Diabetes meds for high blood pressure, cholesterol and one or two other issues.

One of the biggest issues was my weight. My heaviest confirmed weight was 300kg+/ 661lbs. I was actually heavier though, but my scale could only weigh up your 300 kg. I didn't leave my house for almost 15 years, apart from hospital admissions.

As I said I changed my life. I am still overweight, but going down. Currently I weigh  148kg/328lbs.
I don't use any insulin or any other Diabetes meds anymore, I'm off my cholesterol and high blood pressure meds. I'm much more active.

I'm on no meds and my diabetes is in remission.

I'm 53 and have started to revive my interest in electronics. I would love to do board level repairs for pc's, cell phones and TV's.

Money for equipment is a problem though.
I've bought an Uni-t UT61E last month.
I've just ordered what is considered a decent budget soldering station for South Africa.
Weller is too expensive for me and Hakko as well and to buy them from Wish or eBay is too much of a risk for me and my budget.

Now that I have a soldering station, I will save for  a better Bench power supply. I do have a  3, 4.5, 7.5, 9 and 12V variable regulated supply, but can't regulate current, so will save for a better power supply.

I was planning on saving for one of those scope kits that Dave don't rate.

I will also eventually get an hot air gun and a USB microscope.

Can I please ask that you seriously consider me for the scope.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:04:13 am by HecticZA »

Offline EEhopeful.

• Contributor
 I am trying to come back to EE. I started more than 20 years ago, but decided at that time for a faster  and shorter career as I needed money fast. Now I want to go back to EE and change careers, but health, family and general life problems make it hard. I have a special needs child, and that is also one of the reasons I want to better myself to find a better job. I am not getting any younger so any help that I could get would be helpful. I have absolutely no electronics  tools to start with. Consider me for the give away please. Thanks and have a great day.

• Frequent Contributor
For a split second I read the title as free energy starter package :palm:.

Haha nice! :-DD
Of course the kit comes with lots of free positive energy!!!1!111! included ;)
Let’s call it an enthusiasm boost.

Offline Edie00773

I'm a second year Mechatronics student in the UK. With a perticular interest in electronics control of robotic systems but my university just doesn't have enough equipment to go around, we are even dealing with people that have cut the soldering iron leads because they couldn't be bothered going toget some wire for their project (Yes, there are some people that stupid).

I don't know when this closes, but best of luck to whomever wins and everyone else of course.
Edward

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
The main prize is the cute little scope, but one should notice that it requires 230V which means it's of limited value in some parts of the world.

Good luck to whoever wins!

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
I noticed there is no waveform generator in package and ran across this in Amazon. Completely free of charge and you use your computer to generate the waveforms. This software has many very good reviews. Perfect for beginners.

https://www.amazon.com/Keuwlsoft-Function-Generator/dp/B00PPM8FOG/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1520766866&sr=8-24&keywords=signal+generator

Good luck to all!
PEACE===>T

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
Even if i could use quite some stuff of this package (my Multimeter is broken  |O ), i think about adding a weak little powersupply QJ3003 to it.
Think a powersupply is the only missing piece.

Edit: Missing word. Added a bit stuff
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:50:57 pm by Deridex »

The following users thanked this post: frozenfrogz, HecticZA

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics

I have Thundertronics youtube channel that does electronics videos. I am buying tools and components right now to fuel my home small lab. I make videos about electronics, instrumentation, robotics,.. which are the topics of my main focus. I will introduce more stuff later on.

Best regards,

• Frequent Contributor
i think about adding a weak little powersupply QJ3003 to it.
Think a powersupply is the only missing piece.

Please take your time to think about it, that would be an awesome addition! :)

I am going to add a 3D print of my probe and cable organizers to the kit and also this set of AideTek test leads and probe tips. The test leads are only rated for 1A, so it’s not a perfect match - better than falling short on probing options though!

Offline Sysse

What a generous giveaway!  :-BROKE

Finishing my preparatory year and planning to study EE this fall. Moving to my first house (instead of an apartment) and it's time to set up a proper lab. I've been in to RC-planes and FPV for a while so I have a few basic tools (soldering iron, $5 DMM etc, but no real lab equipment. Being a student means that the home lab is pretty far down the priorities list. I've been hunting a cheap oscilloscope for a while but they always seem to end up outside my budget.

I've always loved tinkering and the RC hobby led me down the path of electronics. I got an arduino kit for christmas and it's been downhill from there. I built a combined LED and fume extractor fan controller, but why use software if it can be done in hardware, so today I've been binge watching all videos on YT about 555 timers trying to figure out how to get a PWM-controller working. No luck yet, but I'll get there I'm sure!

Good luck and thanks :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:57:05 pm by Sysse »

• Frequent Contributor
Today I found some time to print out the cable organizer. Sadly someone opened the window in the printer room during the first half of the seven hour print. The cold air messed with the printing environment, thus the bottom layer would not fully stay flat on the heated bed. It does not affect function and will only be visible from below, but still I am a bit peeved at that.

Also, there is one more small addition: A »sneaky wedgeTM« to help with removing "tamper proof" seals and other adhesive stickers. I machined it from some Ekonol filled PTFE stock and hand finished the edge. This is similar to the one I have on my desk - comes in handy once in a while.

Kind regards,
Frederik

• Frequent Contributor
Another update:

Apparently the thread has been moved from the »Beginners« forum to the »Contests« forum. Hm. I thought it was best situated in the Beginners section, but oh well.

I found the other screw drivers from a set I bought years ago and those will be included :)

These are decent quality chrome-vanadium precision screw drivers with 50 mm shaft + 88 mm handle with swivel end caps sizes TX 15, TX 20, PH #00, PH #0, 3.5x0.8 mm, 3x0.6 mm, 2.5x0.5 mm.

Kind regards,
Frederik

The following users thanked this post: CharlieO21

Offline LeoTech

• Regular Contributor
  • High School student with a passion for electronics
Hallo fellow enthusiaits,

Although I am probably in the youngest age group of the members on this forum, and partly grew-up with digital electronics like smartphones, I still always found 'old' dedicated analog electronics very interesting!

I am currently in high school, with a major in math and physics, and my dream is to keep studying electronics, and eventually graduate from UNI with a degree in EE. As I am unfortunately not able to take any EE related courses in high school, I spend a lot of my spare time studying Electronics Engineering with the help of this forum, Dave's videos and many other online resources.

Although I do a lot of theoretical studying, I still try to get down to the bench as often as possible - to work on personal projects. Yesterday I finalized the schematic and breadboarding of a 'precise' DC load - I just have to solder. This project originally started while I was working on my personal lab power supply - to test it - as my current solution of two laptop bricks is horrible. These are the main projects I'm currently working on, but many others are in my head, and partly figured out on paper, but the actual design and test is still seems far away - to far.   

In terms of what got me started in EE, I would have to give the credit to Kosmos.de. Most people from German speaking countries will know what I refer to, I'm talking about those "XN-3000" electronic kits for kids to experiment and learn with. These beautiful written and executed experiment-sets got me started and hooked.* From there it just took of, I started continuing learning online and started purchasing spare parts to experiment further.

Learning about EE and designing projects is something I love to do, and I obviously hope to win the kit to further the experience and the learning, but even if I don't, I'd really like to thank you for doing this, and funding it!

Leo

Btw, if I did win, I'll like to let you know that although my flag is from Denmark, I do have connections to germany (family), so that would be alright for shipping as well.

*I just realised, Kosmos neither sells, nor makes, these experiment-boxes anymore - so sad. These have been the source for many, many people's interest in electronics!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:20:01 pm by LeoTech »
High School student with a passion and interest in electronics, both analog and digital!

• Frequent Contributor
Dear all,

thank you for commenting with your personal stories and welcome to the amazing world of electronics! I hope you will all find joy in learning awesome new things here and become a vital part of this nice community.

After reading through all of the entries and checking in to some of the other posts you wrote here on the forums, I made a decision on whom I think will be benefiting the most from these tools in respect to the set personal goals and overall circumstances. Since I only have one kit to give away, it has not been an easy decision and to everyone that did not win this time: Please don’t be too disappointed!

I would love to be able to do this again in the not too distant future!

Also, please let us all speak out a really big THANK YOU! to sokoloff who has contributed a big sum of money to pay for international shipment and to Deridex for contributing a 0-30 VDC, 0-3 A power supply to accompany this tool kit!

Now, to announce the lucky winner:

Congratulations HecticZA! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I will be sending you a personal message so we can work out the best way to get you your new gear. I need to figure out some details regarding shipments from Germany to South Africa in order to not have to pay additional duties - first time for me shipping there :) but I am certain we can make this work!
From the "what did you buy today" thread I learned, that you bought a soldering iron and a Uni-T multimeter just days ago. Since you now already own a decent multimeter, I will offer you to choose from either getting my VC6010 DMM or to switch it in favor of a GM328A component tester, because in my opinion that might be more helpful to you at the moment than a second multimeter.

Thank you all again for contributing to this thread and your considered private messages!

Kind regards and all the best,
Frederik

The following users thanked this post: lpc32, NivagSwerdna

Offline HecticZA

• Contributor
Thank you so much! On the road atm, unfortunately the town is a couple of hours away. Will contact asap.

Thank you, thank you so much!

Edit:

For some reason I can't access the private message section without crashing the Android app.
Once again thank you for the prizes aswell to the guys that added the courier sponsorship and the power supply(sokoloff & Deridex). Apologies if I missed someone. Will check again when I get to a pc.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:54:30 pm by HecticZA »

• Frequent Contributor
Update:

Shipping and handling was delayed a bit, because my preferred freight forwarder was closed for Easter holidays.
The package is on its way to South Africa now :)

In case anyone is wondering:
Sending up to 10 kg from Germany to South Africa via DHL is around 90€ inkl. VAT, packaging materials + S&H. Also, do not forget to sign your CN 23 customs declaration form!

I am excited to see how it all works out, since I have never shipped to ZA before.  :popcorn:

Offline HecticZA

• Contributor
Thank you so much frozenfrogz, aswell  to Sokoloff and Deridex.

You will never know hom much this means to me.

That shipping is a lot of money, especially if I convert it to my currency!

I hope I can one day pay forward the extremely generous gesture the three of you have displayed.

Once again thank you.

• Frequent Contributor
That shipping is a lot of money, especially if I convert it to my currency!

Your location is a 200 hour non-stop drive (14.100 km / 8761 miles) from here, so while shipping is not exactly cheap I would not consider it expensive either.

Offline krappleby

• Contributor

Hi,

my name is Keith Appleby, relatively new to the electronics world, i have been looking into electronics for years, but never got round to getting started, until about 6 months ago, bought a few minor items, mainly consisting of arduino, plus some parts, and starter packs, nothing too serious.. one of my biggest problems is although i am quite intelligent, found it difficult understanding some of the jargon you guys speak, so i have been toying with the idea of starting yet another you tube channel, that simplifies electronics. And by simplify i mean making it simple enough for a 10 year old to understand (been working with my son, and teaching him. he now wants to build a 8*8 LED array. have explained to him what different components are and what would be needed, and he has designed a circuit for it :).. so pleased with him..

i now understand a lot about electronics, (not a major deal) but enough to get started, and will be looking to start a new channel where people can learn with me, but in a simplified manner, making explanations simple for others (especially children or younger generation) to understand. The channel will be based around teaching the younger generation and beginners, on how to do stuff, for minimum funds. This will include making their own test equipment and stuff from available materials..  as a beginner this has helped me to no end.

So why do i wish to win this prize, well i would love the opportunity to advance my skills, i'm looking at the moment into building a 8 bit computer, (the Ben eater one) however i would like to look into building it using NO chips, just through transistors, but that is something i will be looking into later, but the opportunity to have some effective testing and tools equipment will be great. (i plan on also adding this as part of the channel.)

thanks

PS< UK here

keith appleby

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
Perhaps the title or original post should be edited to make it really obvious this particular contest has ended?

The following users thanked this post: frozenfrogz

Offline HecticZA

• Contributor
Re: [drawn and shipped] World wide FREE giveaway starter package.
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 09:46:49 pm »
And it has arrived!

I was so impatient that I actually drove to Port Elizabeth to go and fetch the package, instead of waiting for delivery tomorrow.
My wife and daughter is planning a wedding and had some appointments tonight, so I figured I needed toys to keep me busy!
[emoji14]

Thank you:
Sokoloff - without your financial contribution the courier option to South Africa would not have been possible. You opened up the possibility to change it from an UK only, to a World wide competition. I really, really appreciate it.

Deridex - you added what you described as a weak bench power supply. For me, it is what I dreamed of. For such a long time I wanted a 30V bench supply where I could control voltage and especially current and now I can. Thank you, thank you!

Frozenfrogz - you were kind enough to donate from your own stock the oscilloscope , component tester, various cables, screw drivers and various bits, calculater, pliers, Allan keys, 3D printed products done by you, knife, 3rd hand with magnifier, logic analyzer and whatever else is in the picture that I haven't mentioned, aswell the additional cost for the courier in upgrading the package, due to the weight basically doubling after the power supply was added. Thank you so much.

Thank you guys. I really appreciate it. Now I need to learn how to use the oscilloscope. Everything else I already played with.
:D

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:08:57 pm by HecticZA »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf