Author Topic: BIG EEVblog Giveaway Coming Up  (Read 113559 times)

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
Re: BIG EEVblog Giveaway Coming Up
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2016, 11:00:13 pm »
If it should go to the most worthy, or where it could potentially get the most use, then I might as well just donate it to the local hacker space?

Not such a bad idea, as much as any individual would like to be the winner of a hot scope, perhaps you could offer it to any not-for-profit group such as a hacker space or radio club etc. That way there is a potential that a number of people will get some use out of it and perhaps someone will make use of the advanced features instead of it just being used to troubleshoot an Arduino doh-dah. Get the hacker spaces to send in a postcard with a suggestion for an EEVblog video and you choose based on the idea you like most?

As I stated in the other thread - I think this nice of a scope would be very likely to disappear quickly from a hacker space. But perhaps that is just a reflection of my limited hacker space experience.

Here's an idea:  Have one rule of the contest be that the winner agrees to donate their current scope to a hacker space or to a deserving scope-less forum member.  That's a win win - you ensure that the new owner has at least some prior experience with a scope and can appreciate what they are getting and you end up with a multiplier - 2 people get new scopes!

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2016, 12:56:40 am »
Here's an idea:  Have one rule of the contest be that the winner agrees to donate their current scope to a hacker space or to a deserving scope-less forum member.  That's a win win - you ensure that the new owner has at least some prior experience with a scope and can appreciate what they are getting and you end up with a multiplier - 2 people get new scopes!

I'd be OK with that - but I'm not sure anyone would really be excited about my old scope.  Everything works - but it's a bit battered and bruised ... and very likely to be out of spec.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2016, 01:40:40 am »
In the state of New South Wales where Dave is I found this:
 http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Businesses/Advertising_and_marketing/Special_offers_and_competitions.page

It might apply to Dave if he includes a requirement to purchase something from the EEVBlog. I'm no lawyer but maybe a Patreon "donation" could fall under such a definition. When the prize is an Oscilloscope worth many thousands of dollars it might matter more so than for a prize of much lesser value.

Legally (tax-wise etc), Patreon donations are just that, voluntary personal donations, with no expectation o any return.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2016, 01:46:16 am »
Also I have been donating 2.00 USD a month for years on my Paypal account. Is that run by Patreon?

No, Patreon is separate system. Before Patreon, PayPal donations was the only option. I prefer people use Patreon, as it:
a) Is public, so people know how much I'm getting
b) It has easy mechanism in place to provide content or other stuff to supporters.

I still accept PayPal of course, but I'd prefer if people switched to Patreon. But no worries if you don't want to though.

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2016, 02:36:38 am »
I'm not terribly wise in the ways of legal issues, but it might be good business to have one of the drawings pulled from people that have purchased the rebadged meter if it is available in time for the giveaway.  Just a thought.

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2016, 02:55:21 am »
I'ld like to be on , what ever list it becomes ? ;)
Have to keep reading to see how it works out .
It's too late , already hooked on the site & youtube
Thanks Dave / Daves

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2016, 03:51:28 am »
I'm not terribly wise in the ways of legal issues, but it might be good business to have one of the drawings pulled from people that have purchased the rebadged meter if it is available in time for the giveaway.  Just a thought.

I think that would be covered by the Supporters group - and Dave has already earmarked one of the scopes for there.

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2016, 06:21:58 am »
Dave, any ideas on when this contest will actually be started and awarded ?
Is it a case of waiting till Keysight ship them to you, or do you have a date in mind ?

Just wondering how drawn(teehee) out the process will be.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2016, 06:24:42 am »
Dave, any ideas on when this contest will actually be started and awarded ?
Is it a case of waiting till Keysight ship them to you, or do you have a date in mind ?
Just wondering how drawn(teehee) out the process will be.

Start of March

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2016, 07:03:45 pm »
Design a circuit, that does...
Maybe with different categories. Pure analog, mcu (no arduino libs) mixed signal and arduino.
I like this suggestion. One scope for each category, the third one automatically rules you out of the draw. ;D
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2016, 07:05:30 pm »
Design a circuit, that does...
Maybe with different categories. Pure analog, mcu (no arduino libs) mixed signal and arduino.
I like this suggestion. One scope for each category, the third one automatically rules you out of the draw. ;D

But not all uses for a high end scope involve circuit design...

And what's to prevent plagiarism - which is trivially easy these days?

Unfortunately, I think  trying to find a way for the winners to "prove" they deserve or need one of these scopes will only lead to either overly complex rules - taking up lots of Dave's time - or a process that is easily gamed.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 07:09:05 pm by mtdoc »

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2016, 08:34:53 pm »
Post in thread, say "I want" and then describe the first project it would get used on.
Most interesting project (where Dave judges interesting and includes the "has a hope in hell of being doable" metric) wins.

Stay tuned, we may or may not :) have something like that coming!

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2016, 08:44:36 pm »
If only more people knew what an oscilloscope was you could probably make more than $15K from views by saying how expensive it is and then smashing it, or lighting it on fire, or blending it in a chipper shredder or something in a youtube video like people do when new Apple stuff comes out.
AFAIK, Keysight fanboys are usually more intelligent and sane.

Keysight fanboys (and girls) are among the more most intelligent and sane!

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2016, 08:52:57 pm »
Quick comment on country/state based eligibility.  We've included as many regions as we legally could; we aren't intentionally ruling people out.  Many regions have strict rules around total prize value, giveaway mechanics, location of giveaway host etc.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2016, 09:27:49 pm »
Quick comment on country/state based eligibility.  We've included as many regions as we legally could; we aren't intentionally ruling people out.  Many regions have strict rules around total prize value, giveaway mechanics, location of giveaway host etc.
I'm sure that there are good reasons to leave some countries/regions out, but that doesn't make me feel left out any less  :(
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2016, 09:33:51 pm »
I just looked at the official rules:

In accordance with local laws, if the selected entrant is a Canadian or South African resident,  that entrant will  be  required  to  answer  a  mathematical  skill testing  question,  without assistance  of  any  kind  (whether  mechanical  or  otherwise),  within  the  time  frame  provided  above.

:wtf:

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2016, 09:50:05 pm »
I just looked at the official rules:

In accordance with local laws, if the selected entrant is a Canadian or South African resident,  that entrant will  be  required  to  answer  a  mathematical  skill testing  question,  without assistance  of  any  kind  (whether  mechanical  or  otherwise),  within  the  time  frame  provided  above.

:wtf:

LOL, that just means that by local law you can't just give away anything without a contest. Of course the question can be what the answer is to 1+1  ;D
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2016, 09:54:22 pm »
Indeed. To win a 3000X scope, it might be "what's the next number in the sequence 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, ???"

To win a 90000 series, it'll be more along the lines of "Prove P = NP or otherwise, you have six hours"  :-DD

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2016, 10:01:46 pm »
Nice find!  That's by far my favorite T&C.  Basically, computers can't win.

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2016, 10:07:48 pm »
Indeed. To win a 3000X scope, it might be "what's the next number in the sequence 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, ???"

To win a 90000 series, it'll be more along the lines of "Prove P = NP or otherwise, you have six hours"  :-DD

If P = NP no need for a scope, your problem is already solved :D

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2016, 10:12:17 pm »
@ Keysight_DanielBogdanoff

Would you be able to find out why some countries, in my case particularly Australia are not on the list?
I guess it's a case by case basis.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2016, 10:50:44 pm »
@ Keysight_DanielBogdanoff

Would you be able to find out why some countries, in my case particularly Australia are not on the list?
I guess it's a case by case basis.

Yes, each country is a case by case basis for reasons listed in my previous post.  We're taking a closer look at Australia to try to include it (no promises).

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2016, 11:59:39 pm »
Looking forward to answering a skill testing question when my name is drawn!
VE7FM

Offline nuno

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2016, 01:44:35 am »
That's always the risk with a random draw. It is a high end scope (think $15K worth).

Sell it for $10K. Buyer will be happy and make use of it.
Use money to get 20 low end scopes to giveaway. Higher probability of having someone happy and more people happy.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2016, 01:50:40 am »
Sell it for $10K. Buyer will be happy and make use of it.
Use money to get 20 low end scopes to giveaway. Higher probability of having someone happy and more people happy.
Yeah, he should buy 20 Rigols for that money. That will really help promote Keysight's scopes! |O
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf