Author Topic: Embedded World 2019. Nuremberg 26 Feb - 28 Feb  (Read 2731 times)

Offline RobBarterTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Bedrock Systems Ltd
Embedded World 2019. Nuremberg 26 Feb - 28 Feb
« on: January 30, 2019, 07:19:04 pm »
I'm considering going to Embedded World this year.  Having never been before is it worth it for a general info gathering exercise? i.e. no specific project in mind.
minimal sig so a single msg doesn't take up the entire page!

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Re: Embedded World 2019. Nuremberg 26 Feb - 28 Feb
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 08:09:47 pm »
Depends. General info gathering is today best done using your favourite duckduckgo and reading those colourful magazines that appear magically monthly, bi-weekly or even weekly in your (non-virtual) inbox. At least they do at my workplace - never ordered one. If they don't at your site, one way to start these things to appear is to visit the booths of those publishers at Embedded World and drop your business card there  ;)

So, yes it's trade fair, all the well-known semiconductors are there, all the (in Germany) well-known Distributors are there, last year I was nearly forced to take away a Digi-Key PCB ruler. You can get a hands-on with some Keysight / Rohde&Schwarz / LeCroy / Tek scope or other Test Equipment. You'll also find the Rigol and Siglents. Many little or lesser known goodies to discover, e.g. some years ago I stumbled across these: www.tag-connect.com
There's always been some opportunities to get "useful" swag (e.g. a dev / promo board), look for the major distributors.

There's a conference in the same building, that costs real money (the entrance fee to the trade fair is your soul), often well-known and competent people holding the talks.
Safety devices hinder evolution

• Regular Contributor
    • Bedrock Systems Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:21:21 pm »
Thanks.  Just had a quick look at tag-connect.  Neat idea :)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 08:32:15 pm »
Depends on what you are looking for. I went mainly for the conferences but found them superficial, more commercial "who are we" talks and a 30 minute interesting stuff where they still don't tell you what you really would like to know.  ;) But good for contacts, esp. the academic people are open to contacts and information sharing if you have mutual interests.

The tradeshow is huge , reserve at least two days if you really want to talk to people and get info.
It is nice but again very commercial, I was happy to speak to an engineer rather than the marketing biffs that try to figure out if you are worth $100k or more before they want to spent time on you.
The engineers talk about future products (not available) which makes it more interesting. Again if there is a mutual serious interest, the demoboards are not a problem, sometimes with an follow up appointment if they are pricy to be sure you are serious into the product.

Ofcourse only my personal experience after three visits, your mileage may vary.

I switched companies so am unable to attend, would it be offered I would probably go, but for me personal, even if the travel and hotel would be <$300 I would still not consider it worth it.
It is actually B2B.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 02:40:45 pm »
Going to be there on wednesday :-+

• Regular Contributor
    • Bedrock Systems Ltd
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 03:03:52 pm »
No longer can make it  :(

Offline KlausF

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 03:51:20 pm »
it is the only chance to take a look at really expensive equipment. That is a pro.
The con is that it is nothing more than looking. It sounds more exciting than it is.
I expected some technical details and some nice presentations and got disappointed. It is very superficial and commercial, the main purpose is only about sale and marketing. It is mainly about manufacturers representing themselves. I would not go again, imho driving for hours, the entrance fee and parking fee is just not worth the money.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 03:54:15 pm »
+1 unless the company pays for all of it  :)

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 08:55:11 pm »
I'm already in Nürnberg, and going to the trade fair tomorrow. I have like 30 companies lined up, hopefully I can gather some useful info for the upcoming projects. And yes, this is a B2B event, and although you can get in as a hobbyist, you would have a hard time talking to people.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:57:27 pm by NANDBlog »

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 07:10:03 am »
Yeah, i was looking forward to the courses but none was interesting to me (or to the business). Given that you can get free tickets from various sources to me it was more an excuse to get a couple of days of vacation to see an international trade fair and to spend a couple of days in germany (it's been a while since last time)

Offline evahenry

• Mobile App Development Company
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 12:06:10 pm »
Will try to join

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf