Author Topic: FeelTech FY6800 Signal Generator Free Trial  (Read 56994 times)

Offline alpher

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FeelTech FY6800 Signal Generator Free Trial
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 04:00:29 am »
Not to be an ass here, but how much is a 15MHz AWG from let's say HP/Agilent or whatever their name is now?
How much doest it cost from TEK or keithey or whatever stupid name they adopt now ?
Give, those guys some slack, ~100 bucks versus several thousands, common.

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 05:35:54 am »
Not to be an ass here, but how much is a 15MHz AWG from let's say HP/Agilent or whatever their name is now?
How much doest it cost from TEK or keithey or whatever stupid name they adopt now ?

Why should we give them slack when they sold us something broken and refused to replace it? Is my $100 worthless?

When they fix their mistake I will consider cutting them slack.

Offline Adrian_Arg.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2018, 08:13:41 pm »
I offer myself, I do not meet the requirements of engineer but I can prove them, and so we were on hand with the 6600 that never replenished me, it worked 45 days, suddenly started to go out, I end up in the trash can. So if any firm wants to donate one for testing, welcome it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 07:24:12 pm »
A $100 device that breaks down is as worthless as a $1000 dollar device that breaks down. They're both trash.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 12:24:30 am »
I sent a PM about my V 3.0 FY-6600.  More "we fix for free".  When I asked for details about how to arrange that. feeltech got *very* quiet. just as back in December.

Offline ikrase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 12:53:02 am »
Other than telling everybody, is there a way to put pressure on them?

Offline Mozee

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 06:00:25 pm »
Where can we buy this unit? what is it's price?
We always learn, till the moment we’re dying , we learn how it feels to be dead

Online Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2018, 06:37:24 am »

you can buy one from rhb, really cheap too
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2018, 05:19:09 pm »
I've got a Feeltech FY3224S for two years.

No problems so far but with the absolute the lack of customer support from this company, I'll never buy anything from them again!

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2018, 08:34:24 pm »
FWIW I sent feeltech a PM laying out what I plan to do if they don't fix all the forum members' units.  I gave them until Friday of next week to start a thread informing members how to get an acceptable repair at no cost to the owner.  So no "Here's a new chip, have fun soldering."

Otherwise I shall start a thread which will be *very* bad for US and EU sales.

Offline ikrase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2018, 05:36:40 am »
I just bought a JDS6600.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2018, 01:46:38 pm »
The question has been raised more than once as to what to do about the failure to fix defective units.    Probably most people who are aware of the FY6600 are also aware of the PS issue.  But no one seems to have connected the dots.

There are health and safety regulations in place worldwide regarding the requirements for power supplies.    A good summary is here:

https://www.cui.com/catalog/resource/power-supply-safety-standards-agencies-and-marks.pdf

The ability to sell power supplies, either built-in or external types, around the world depends on meeting the relevant safety standards that apply in those territories. These standards are defined and administered by national or international agencies with various government-recognized testing laboratories able to certify compliance with such statutory regulations

Has anyone seen any reference to the approvals required to sell the Feeltech products in the US or EU?  Does anyone think that they have gotten such approvals?

The sale of Feeltech's products in the US and EU are only possible because customs and the regulatory agencies are unaware of what is being done.  It's also part of the reason that no established T & M vendors carry the units along with the obviously bad customer support track record.

Alerting the US and EU trade regulators to the issue won't force Feeltech to fix defective units, but it will seriously impede their sales and protect other users from their products.  All it takes to make that happen is for a number of formal complaints to be made to the appropriate agency.

Offline Mozee

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2018, 06:34:52 pm »

you can buy one from rhb, really cheap too
What is RHB?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TechieTX

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2018, 03:22:49 am »
Control-F is a wonderful thing.  RHB is a WHO, not a WHAT.  His is the post just above yours.   ;)

What really boggles imagination is that everything they've built up to this point needed a firmware upload at the factory in CHINA: no soft update.  Dudes, REALLY?

Around about 1990 a team of 3 people made a breakthrough emulator for a microcontroller... it was TINY compared to the other beasts on the market, around the size of a bar of soap.  One of the initial design considerations was 'soft updates', so we figured out how to make that work.  We had twice the Flash capacity that the firmware + FPGA needed so that we could fall back gracefully in case of a corrupted upload.  Overkill, but still handy.  We pretty much invented the whole 'soft update' thing from scratch 'cos nobody had documented such a thing, other than a few hints in EDN and Embedded Systems Programming mags.  One of the first units went to the Philips apps engineer, and he found a bug the first week.  He described an error that had to be in the FPGA. I pulled up the schematic, saw that I'd forgotten to invert one unusual state of one pin, and I told him I'd call him back.  I recompiled the FPGA, uploaded it and tested it, and it was good.  The hardest thing long ago was getting the update file to him.  I had to FTP it to a server Philips had (using my X.25 dialup account - not much Internet in 1990) as the hex file was too big for my neolithic email.  ~30 minutes after the 'customer' called with a problem, he had the fix in hand and was off working again.  Even though I'd screwed up, it proved that 'soft update' was great for keeping the customers happy.

28 years later, Feeltech is just now figuring out that 'soft update' is a Good Thing.  Jeebus Crisco, I feel like half of my life has been an utter waste.
"No matter where you go, there you are." ~BB

The following users thanked this post: TheDane, Jacon

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2018, 04:27:02 am »
Some people just like to find out for themselves that a circular object with an axle going through the middle might be useful for moving stuff around ... so they can then reinvent it.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2018, 05:28:05 am »
It really comes down to they are Chinese entrepreneurs who steal from others, so they expect others to steal from them.

The really silly part is the requirement of proof of professional employment in electronics to be eligible for their promotion.  While the performance of a *working* unit is quite good, it is not a professional grade instrument and they are not capable of producing one. 

Keysight, Tektronix et al provide customer support.  If the instrument has a problem they fix it.  They charge for it.  If you provide no support, then all you have is competing on price on eBay. You can't even go to market in legitimate venues.  None of the major test equipment resellers carry FeelTech.  For very good reasons, demonstrated very effectively in this forum.

If FeelTech had any brains they would realize that a modest expense for customer support would move them from eBay to TEquipment.net at better profit margins.

I bought 10 BNC jumpers on eBay.  They  make great 50 MHz notch filters because the manufacturer twisted the shield and soldered it to a clamp on connector at a single point.  I am getting very tired of Chinese junk.  They do make good stuff in China, but only under watchful Western eyes.

The following users thanked this post: JPortici, TheDane

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2018, 06:41:33 am »
Of course, one of the many flaws is that the 'quality' of person they're asking for will already have a (better) FG.

This 'promotion' must have reduced sales quite a bit.  :palm:

From the 1st post  https://twitter.com/feelelec  is worth a look.

This is the only mention of it I've seen. https://twitter.com/scargill/status/975706864838172673
 :palm:
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline Mozee

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2018, 09:34:04 am »
Hmmm ... So where can one buy one of these feeltechs ??? Any authentic seller out there?
how much is it for too?

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2018, 12:34:02 pm »
Hmmm ... So where can one buy one of these feeltechs ??? Any authentic seller out there?
how much is it for too?

You *might* get better support for a counterfeit.  You certainly won't get worse support.  I think this is more on the order of "We're looking for people to test our products for us."  Do you *really* want to buy a $100+ paperweight?

Offline Mozee

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 07:36:18 am »
I think I would give it a try  ???, For something on the order of about 150$ and these spects, Why not?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2018, 01:19:35 am »
I think I would give it a try  ???, For something on the order of about 150$ and these spects, Why not?
A device is only useful if it actually works and keeps working. This manufacturer is currently experiencing some reliability issues and not offering a lot of support.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:21:20 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline Philipp F.

• Contributor
  • Software Engineer doing ee for fun.
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2018, 03:38:25 pm »
Great,

after reading about the original unit a few months ago I just bought it despite the problems, I badly needed a low priced function gen, came with firmware 3.2.1.
And now this....  :palm:
Guess it will be going back, I can wait a little longer.

Any info on pricing and when it will be available?

Offline ikrase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2018, 07:20:51 pm »
Get a JDS6600.

Offline Mozee

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2018, 07:46:37 pm »
Get a JDS6600.
What do you think makes it a better option?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline peteb2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2018, 12:35:50 am »
Thanks to all who have posted, glad i came here and saved myself some $.... I have an 80s era Philips 5133 Function Generator which looks as if its hardly been used and works, good enough for home Lab-time anyway...

I'd faint thoughts of it being handy to do higher frequencies and all those special arbitrary test signals but for now i think i will give it a miss and save for something a bit more reliable.  Those somewhat garish front panel colours for me would be a bit hard to live with anyway....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf