Author Topic: Keysight 6000X 6Ghz Voting Is Live vote for Carlos A.  (Read 184989 times)

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
Re: Keysight 6000X 6Ghz Voting Is Live vote for Carlos A.
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2016, 08:04:22 pm »
I'd vote for you from the videos I reviewed...... but I dont have facebook.

Also Nilu project? I dont get how that has any requirement for a 6ghz scope. Wonder where 400 votes came from.

Kinda wish I entered now lol, but I think you would have had me beat anyway though.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:08:00 pm by ChunkyPastaSauce »

Offline rx8pilotTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2016, 08:09:55 pm »
Yes, 6Ghz with active probes for an SMPS based inductive heater......Hmmmmm.

Signal integrity for television systems that are used to broadcast the Super Bowl and the Olympics? Yeah! Trying to figure out how to get a hold of the KS team without disturbing the necessary distance from an entrant. The FB and mobile issues could spell the end for a win.

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2016, 08:31:49 pm »
I am not an HDMI expert at all other than to know to buy my cables from the dollar store ;-) but 3Gbps doesn't mean 3GHz. A raw NRZ signal transitioning every bit gives a maximum frequency of half the bitrate, ie 1.5GHz.

I believe HDMI uses an 8b/10b coding algorithm so the maximum on wire frequency is actually 10/8 * 3G/2 = 1.875MGHz. Also I believe the scope is 20GSa/s, so you're well within Nyquist. There's an expample in the 6000x series data sheet showing a PRBS signal.

As for the Nilu thing, well either there's another parallel EEVblog in the universe or possibly our Vietnamese friends are earning some pocket money on dial-a-mate. But yes, it's hard to see what benefit a $30k scope is over a DS1054z in that application.

By the way, my business is much like yours. I do everything from sticking labels on and going to the post office to doing the conceptual design and schematic and board layout, the exception being the financial nonsense which is graciously and thankfully dealt with by a long suffering family member.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:53:26 pm by Howardlong »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2016, 09:09:48 pm »
By the way, my business is much like yours. I do everything from sticking labels on and going to the post office to doing the conceptual design and schematic and board layout, the exception being the financial nonsense which is graciously and thankfully dealt with by a long suffering family member.

The few, the proud! Great to hear someone has chosen a similar path. I regularly second guess my decisions.

I am not an HDMI expert at all other than to know to buy my cables from the dollar store ;-) but 3Gbps doesn't mean 3GHz. A raw NRZ signal transitioning every bit gives a maximum frequency of half the bitrate, ie 1.5GHz.

This is HD-SDI SMPTE-292 and SMPTE-424 Serial digital over 75 ohm coax.
From what I know so far, the 292 variety maxes out a 1.8Ghz and the 424 is 3.6Ghz signaling. I have held off on purchasing the spec from SMPTE since I won't need it if I don't win, but that is my understanding.

I would need to design and validate the singe ended inputs and outputs and validate the function of the line drivers, equalizers, and re-clockers. Once inside the the signals are 100Ohm differential and go through a de-serializer. At that point the data rates obviously slow down in the parallel world. That data has to be time correlated with a variety of other signals, audio, sync, time code, data, etc. that come from other non-sync sources. After some processing it has to be re-assembled and the timing worked out. Jitter and other signal integrity factors are critical and unforgiving. Obviously will have a lot to learn, but that has been how I approach everything. Head on - if I don't know it - I LEARN IT. I love learning.

Side story:
When I decided to start my mechanical design and manufacturing company. I simply purchased SolidWorks and a CNC milling machine and started looking for the "on' button. I literally had no idea how to turn the machine on or how to put tools in it or what tools I needed. By brute force, I learned the trade and learned it well enough that I could no longer outsource parts because most machine shops could not produce what I was making. That is when I got out and moved into electronics where I have been brute forcing knowledge into my brain as fast as possible. What a blast!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2016, 09:20:58 pm »
PLEASE VOTE DAILY

It is the only way it can work. Nilu J is pulling into the lead.

http://www.solidcamera.com/#!powerslice2/c1ngs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2016, 09:59:44 pm »
Nilu J up by 40 votes!

Motion Pictures vs Water Heaters

Hoping for a big EEVBlog boost! For those with a Facebook account - please vote. This is an unbelievable opportunity that could really help me (and the whole family) turn a corner. Don't be shy....

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2016, 12:37:01 am »
Carlos A. is still 24 votes off the pace...

As for the mobile site - I just tried it on my Galaxy S4 using Chrome.  Everything seemed to work OK.

Yes, 6Ghz with active probes for an SMPS based inductive heater......Hmmmmm.
As I said before, there are some that make a case for a scope - but few that make it for the scope on offer.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2016, 12:49:10 am »
As for the Nilu thing, well either there's another parallel EEVblog in the universe or possibly our Vietnamese friends are earning some pocket money on dial-a-mate.

Not necessarily.  If you have access to a dozen email addresses - you can have a dozen FB accounts.

The other thing is - the voting is open to ANYONE.  By pressing the 'social conscience' buttons, they are going to attract votes from people who 'just want to help'.

Engineers will see the logic of matching a scope's capabilities with the requirements - but average people will just see a screen and a lot of knobs and buttons.  I believe each of the two members in the competition here would be happy to send Nilu TWO scopes suitable for her project if they were able to secure THE scope they need.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2016, 12:58:32 am »
Current positions:

Position  Votes  Name
Nilu J.
Carlos A.
David K.

Looking like a 2 horse race....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2016, 02:08:57 am »
No doubt it will be a tight event. I had some conversations today and many of my people were only voting once, I explained the plan and hoping that will help.
Will it be a photo finish? I hope not - my nerves can't deal with it, lol.

0200 GMT APRIL 3
Nilu J - 520
Carlos A - 485

Still time for DAY 2 votes! Please go to the voting page and vote 3 times!
http://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=2677452&nid=-32546.0.00&id=2677452

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2016, 02:23:35 am »

Will it be a photo finish? I hope not - my nerves can't deal with it, lol.

This is only Day 2.  There are still 2 weeks to go.

Better make sure you have enough softfall on the lab floor - so when you're climbing the walls you won't injure yourself should you lose your grip.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2016, 03:43:36 am »
As for the Nilu thing, well either there's another parallel EEVblog in the universe or possibly our Vietnamese friends are earning some pocket money on dial-a-mate.

Not necessarily.  If you have access to a dozen email addresses - you can have a dozen FB accounts.

The other thing is - the voting is open to ANYONE.  By pressing the 'social conscience' buttons, they are going to attract votes from people who 'just want to help'.

Engineers will see the logic of matching a scope's capabilities with the requirements - but average people will just see a screen and a lot of knobs and buttons.  I believe each of the two members in the competition here would be happy to send Nilu TWO scopes suitable for her project if they were able to secure THE scope they need.

I think her project was a 2013 team project for university/school (was interested in it, so searched for it). When I was in school, projects/people who were up for open vote award, sometimes had the contest sent out school wide via email (awards are good for school). In her video it sounds like it's still a school project (she mentions asme) so the school might have an interest in it. If that's where the vote are coming from, it's well within the rules I think. If that's what it is, the school wont be sending reminder e-mails every day over 2 weeks, so it may drop off a bit.

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2016, 07:14:25 am »
David K. has the most funny video, but he wants a better scope, not a 6ghz one
the water heater does not need also a 6ghz scope I think (they use an msox3104 in the video so they have access to many instruments
Carlos, you are the one that need the scope for a real use my vote goes to you
but ... when I press the "vote" button nothing happens !

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2016, 07:24:39 am »
the water heater does not need also a 6ghz scope I think (they use an msox3104 in the video so they have access to many instruments

I had that happen as well. Are you using FireFox?  I had to switch to Explorer... er...Edge

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2016, 07:48:13 am »

I get a rather inconspicuous "Thank you" which appears at the top of the black zone where the entries are listed.  If you're down the page a bit, you might have to scroll up to see it.

Also, I use Chrome on my desktop and phone - and it works fine.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2016, 07:49:44 am »
Keysight might be great at making scopes - but darn they are bad at doing web development. I can't vote on Chrome. On Safari I only get random entries up in the list on who to vote for (yes Carlos is missing in my safari list but present in my chrome on pc list)

And then to vote you have to register at FaceTurd? Bugger that - sorry Richard & Carlos no votes from me as I detests FB.

The following users thanked this post: krzychb

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2016, 08:57:03 am »

I had that happen as well. Are you using FireFox?  I had to switch to Explorer... er...Edge
yes firefox ... the vote is ok now with safari . thanks.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2016, 12:19:11 pm »
The whole public vote thing sounds like a bad idea for the big prize. Why should it go to the person with the most Facebook friends? Someone from Keysight should just look at the videos and decide who really could make use of it.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2016, 12:33:35 pm »
Current positions:

Position  Votes  Name
Nilu J.
Carlos A.
David K.

Social media trumps technological need.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2016, 12:50:04 pm »
Nilu's story is jumping out of the masses - so I don't think it's just social media playing here.
Being a student, she may have access to a big crowd of supporters, but that doesn't diminish the value of the story in the video.

And we know it is a social media contest. So complaining that having a big social media network gives you advantage, is moot.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2016, 02:51:15 pm »
Nilu's votes are rather suspicious IMO. I see that sudden jumps happen compared to others. And she wasn't leading at the beginning.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2016, 03:05:54 pm »
Sudden jumps may be the result of addressing a crowd - so I'm not overly concerned with that observation - per se.  Analysis of the origin of the votes might be interesting, though.  But even then, there may not be anything to look at.

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2016, 03:10:15 pm »
Wow, she sure got a lot of votes in the last few hours... What time zone is she in, is there any info on that?

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2016, 03:19:58 pm »
Current positions:

Position  Votes  Name
Nilu J.
Carlos A.
David K.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2016, 03:31:20 pm »
Just to help.
 If you do not have a fb account remember that anyone in this world can open up one in your name and get away with it. You will thereafter be unable to open that named account yourself.
Better to register your name in FB and never use it then some one else is going to and perhaps even misuse it!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf