Author Topic: Keysight Giveaway Reminder  (Read 21235 times)

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Keysight Giveaway Reminder
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2016, 10:55:55 pm »
Grats to all the winners (didn't know there were multiple prizes) and commiserations for those who missed out.

Dave may also giveaway another multimeter on the eevblog2 channel for the eligible entries that were accidentally left out of the live draw by a technical glitch (roughly 4% of entries).

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/live-giveaway-draw-used-keysight-scope-giveaway/

Apologies for not finding the right thread to post in earlier.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:00:27 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 04:52:23 am »
Hello all
I am a lucky winner of forum oscilloscope giveway. Currently delivery details are work in progress, I will post some pictures later this spring.
I also congratulate winners of other scope and DMMs. And thank you, Dave, for giving all EEVblog forum users opportunity to win high-end test gear.
Just to be clear on multiple contest question. I was eligible neither for Keysight company scope giveaway (Lithuania was not included in country list) nor for Patreon scope draw (not a Patreon supporter yet). I had a chance of winning a scope only in forum giveaway.
All I can do now is wait for box from down under.

A very used and crusty scope found in the dumster is on it's way to you!

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 06:09:25 am »
A very used and crusty scope found in the dumster is on it's way to you!

Hmm you keep mentioning that, therefore it's pristine new in box or really crap.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Nermash

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 06:22:37 am »
I believe that Dave has much more understanding than Keysight about the issue of possibly very large custom duty, tax and forwarding agent cost on such valuable item.
And that is why he actually used the scope, so that he can legally ship it marked as used, which of course invokes lower declared price than crispy brand new unit.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 06:25:05 am »
I believe that Dave has much more understanding than Keysight about the issue of possibly very large custom duty, tax and forwarding agent cost on such valuable item.

How much would I get for it at the local cash converters store? That's one legitimate measure of what it's worth.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2016, 06:39:22 am »
No more than a second hand Rigol 1000Z series.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2016, 07:53:16 am »
Marking it in Gift in most countries just increases the value before you pay VAT slightly.  If the item is bigger then a small packet chances are it will be inspected.  If the item is marked second hand.  Is not sent in its original packaging and has a reasonable value of a few hundred dollars chances are it will be let through with just a charge on the quoted value. Even if opened and inspected.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2016, 08:55:44 am »
For those following, electr_peter got his scope. Hopefully he'll post some pics.
The Patreon one is still on-route.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2016, 11:43:39 am »
Good news - scope arrived in great shape. To my surprise, box was not upside down having travelled from other side of the earth :D
Custom procedures went smoothly, import taxes were not too burdensome for my budget ;)

I played with a scope a little - so far far I really like it. Responsiveness of UI, touch-screen functionality with on-screen keyboard, high BW, selectable 50/1M impedance and overall high quality are the most striking features to me. Touch screen really helps with things like X/Y cursors (much quicker to set via touch screen than knobs) and speed ups trigger setup. Also, Keysight scope is really quiet - I can use it in a quiet environment and not hear fan noise (unlike some other gear).
I will make use of this scope as it is really capable and easy to use. I already see few potential problematic places where 1GHz BW could help me out.

[SOLVED - see post below] So far I have not figured out how to enable and modify "Averaging" acquisition mode. "Normal", "Peak" and "High Resolution" modes are available, but "Averaging" is in gray and not selectable. I have not studied manual yet to know if this is by default, or there is specific setup required, or this is an extra licence option. Do I miss something here?

Someone asked about enabled options. To those interested, scope currently has very limited options enabled (like MSO). I could make use of internal wavegen HW if it were enabled and some other measurement options. 1GHz BW is more important for me than the options, maybe I will get some extra SW bits later.

I took some pictures with scope in action, see below. Custom EEVblog front panel and boot screen graphics in black look cool.

I am very pleased to have this scope and use it for electronics. Thanks for EEVblog forum, Dave and Keysight for such an opportunity :-+
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:06:25 pm by electr_peter »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, continuo, crispy_tofu

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2016, 05:27:23 pm »
Awesome! Great to see that you seem to need the high bandwidth.

Thanks for the pics.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2016, 10:05:21 pm »
Thanks, rx8pilot. I hope your Keysight scope will be useful to you as well.

After looking though manual and scope settings, I figured out why averaging acquisition mode was disabled. It is because Zone triggering was enabled. In Zone triggering mode, oscilloscope has to:
  • trigger normally
  • check triggered waveform for Zone conditions
  • dislay waveform if Zone trigger was successful
Due to this secondary trigger behaviour, "Averaging" acquisition mode and "Force trigger" options are disabled. This behaviour is logical in my opinion.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2016, 11:53:35 pm »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2016, 12:17:34 am »
Nice to know both have now arrived safe and well.

Congratulations to the winners!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2016, 02:39:38 am »
Custom procedures went smoothly, import taxes were not too burdensome for my budget ;)

Used scopes found in the dumpster tend not to be worth much. I'm surprised it still works  :phew:

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2016, 04:08:16 am »
Used scopes found in the dumpster tend not to be worth much. I'm surprised it still works  :phew:

Well if you find any more crusty high end gear in the dumpster, that you don't want. I'm sure you'll let us know.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf