Author Topic: Keysight giving scopes away again  (Read 28615 times)

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: makerguy

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
Re: Keysight giving scopes away again
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 11:30:35 am »
Chance to win:  1 in 300,000
Chance to get spammed to death for the rest of your natural life: 100%

:-+

Offline kxenos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 11:58:02 am »
Reading the terms from
http://www.keysight.com/main/editorial.jspx?cc=GR&lc=eng&ckey=2792307&nid=-11143&id=2792307

3. Promotion Description/Eligibility. No purchase necessary. This promotion is limited to specific countries and is only open to entrants aged 18 years or older at the time of submission who are legal residents of, and physically located within Austria, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Poland, South Africa, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States (excluding Florida, New York, and Rhode Island), and Venezuela. Government agencies and institutions (including public universities), and their employees, are not eligible to participate or receive prizes, nor are individuals who appear on the U.S. Government Department of Treasury’s Specially Designated Nationals List. Employees of Keysight Technologies, Inc., its affiliates, subsidiaries, Channel Partners and agents, and immediate family members of each, are not eligible. This promotion is void where prohibited by law.
Entrants are restricted to companies with a valid business address. No residential addresses are eligible.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 12:29:50 pm »
Australia's still out.  Sigh.

DAVE - have you checked your dumpster lately...?

Offline halexa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 12:43:59 pm »
No option for Sweden =  :horse:

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 01:46:57 pm »
Always nice to put a face to a name, Daniel makes an appearance.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 05:20:36 pm »
This is only between (28 November – 2 December) if I'm understanding it correctly.

Correct, it's only for one week and a different scope is given away each day, as follows:

- Nov 28, 2016: 200 MHz 2000 X-Series oscilloscope (MSOX2024A)
- Nov 29, 2016: 500 MHz 3000T X-Series oscilloscope (MSOX3054T)
- Nov 30, 2016: 1 GHz 4000 X-Series oscilloscope (MSOX4104A)
- Dec 1, 2016: 2.5 GHz 6000 X-Series oscilloscope (MSOX6004A)
- Dec 2, 2016: 4 GHz S-Series oscilloscope (MSOS404A)
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 05:36:50 pm »
That MSOS404A looks mighty interesting. Is it new?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 05:52:37 pm »
You can enter once per day during the Cyber Week promotion period. Or share with your friends for an extra entry!

Does this mean an entry before the Cyber week does not count?   Or you can enter multiple times before the week?  ummm ?

I just entered and by reading between the lines, I guess I wasted my time  >:(
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline kmel

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 06:05:52 pm »
Entrants are restricted to companies with a valid business address. No residential addresses are eligible.[/i]

This should increase the chance to win. And had been disqualified many March winner.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 06:13:00 pm »
Entrants are restricted to companies with a valid business address. No residential addresses are eligible.[/i]

Wished this was more visible, would not have wasted my time  :--

Suggest OP put this in bold letters at the top of the first post so other people do not waste their time.  |O
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 06:17:06 pm »
They exclude Florida, New York and Rhose Island residents but allow Venezuelan residents to participate in the promotion?

Sorry, but I fail to see the logic in that. Since I am in South America as well, I do get a lot of news from Venezuela that may not be relayed to the rest of the world, and that's why I am baffled by this rule. Since I don't want to start a political argument, I'll quote Forrest Gump: "and that's all I have to say about that".
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

The following users thanked this post: ericloewe, george.b

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 06:23:22 pm »
You can enter once per day during the Cyber Week promotion period. Or share with your friends for an extra entry!

Does this mean an entry before the Cyber week does not count?   Or you can enter multiple times before the week?  ummm ?

Read "Terms & Conditions"

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 07:45:35 pm »
I think for such a major and unexpected condition - it should be on the first page right up front.  After all on the entry form it did not ask for company address (it did ask for company name).  A lot of sites ask for company name without some weird condition.  I was able to submit without any warnings.  This is too major to be in fine print.

I guess they could have a contest where under the terms and conditions no one wins so they could collect email addresses.

Keysight reminds me of a funny thing - cleaning my desk I saw a "InfiniiVision X-Series oscilloscopes".   I was shocked to  find one when I did not know I had one.  This lasted about 2 seconds when I realized it was a flashlight/screwdriver that I had "won" previously.  Does anyone know how to open it (to get to the bits)?  Boy was I disappointed that I did not have an InfiniiVision scope  :-DD

steverino

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 08:03:57 pm »

Apparently, those states have conditions that keysight doesn't want to satisfy. I found the following statement regarding sweepstakes in these states:

"when designing a sweepstakes it is important to be mindful of the total prize amount, because prizes above certain cash (or cash equivalent) thresholds may trigger specific sweepstakes registration and bonding requirements in three states: Florida, New York and Rhode Island."

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 08:39:27 pm »
:--
reason, flag

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 12:11:29 am »
They exclude Florida, New York and Rhose Island residents but allow Venezuelan residents to participate in the promotion?

Sorry, but I fail to see the logic in that. Since I am in South America as well, I do get a lot of news from Venezuela that may not be relayed to the rest of the world, and that's why I am baffled by this rule. Since I don't want to start a political argument, I'll quote Forrest Gump: "and that's all I have to say about that".

Apparently, those states have conditions that keysight doesn't want to satisfy. I found the following statement regarding sweepstakes in these states:

"when designing a sweepstakes it is important to be mindful of the total prize amount, because prizes above certain cash (or cash equivalent) thresholds may trigger specific sweepstakes registration and bonding requirements in three states: Florida, New York and Rhode Island."

If I were in Keysight's position, I would not be particularly keen on satisfying those conditions.  Just looking at Florida, New York and Rhode Island is enough to put on the brakes.

For starters, there's going to be some paperwork - and that is going to take time to both research and complete.  Also, I would expect the requirements between states to be different, so it won't be a matter of filling out one set of documents and copying the information onto the other forms.

The next thought I have is a guess, but something that would be discovered during the paperwork research... and that is taking into consideration any legal obligations that may ensue.  There are so many possibilities here that I dare not even try to list them, but, for example, if they require Daniel to offer his right arm and left leg, then there may not be enough of him to go around.

Then, there's going to be an issue with monetary commitment.  I don't know what the requirements are, but I would not think it unreasonable to require a security bond equivalent to a percentage of the total prize pool value ... and that percentage could be 100.  You can bet each state is going to have their own requirement, independent of any other.

While the prospect of doing this for 3 states of America may be daunting enough, one could argue that, for a company like Keysight, it would be doable.  Keysight may or may not agree but, to me, there is the far more worrying issue of setting a precedent.  Once Keysight jumps through the hoops for any state/country, then people in other states/countries will start asking "What about us?"  The pressure will be enormous - far more than it is now - and for Keysight to continue to travel down that road will almost certainly result in an expensive and very time consuming journey.

It is not an exercise that is going to be practical, let alone justifiable.

I wish it were otherwise.

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 12:31:31 pm »
No option for Portugal! That sucks!  :--

Regards,
Vitor

Offline Arjan Emm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 01:28:55 pm »
At least 180 countries out of 200 are not listed. No need to post about all of those...

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 01:38:36 pm »
Hmm, I work for my own company, from an office at my home address (although office is a separate structure), does that count as residential I wonder?

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 01:45:58 pm »
At least 180 countries out of 200 are not listed. No need to post about all of those...

Yes, but Portugal is part of the EUROPEAN UNION and as such it gives a really bad light to Keysight's policy if they treat member States in different manners.

They do the same with the USA. I consider it unacceptable.

And this is why I post about it.

Regards,
Vitor
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:49:39 pm by Bicurico »

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 02:32:22 pm »
I completely fail to understand the marketing point of these giveaways. They should just put them on their eBay store with some discount and the final effect would be the same - it seems numerous scopes from the last ScopeMonth were awarded either to people with no clue and ended up on eBay/Craigslist or were awarded to companies that have equipment expenses in their budgets anyway, put as an expense (so no tax) and also get VAT return.

I wonder what percentage of ScopeMonth scopes ended up with people that really use them and couldn't have afforded one otherwise (!= corporations).

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2016, 02:42:56 pm »
I agree.

This is probably how it happend:
The production manager said: "Hey, we have these devices in stock for too long/they are outdated/what so ever - let's do a huge marketing campain by just giving them away randomly!"
Then the legal department said: "Hmmmm... There may be some issues with some countries, regarding to free give aways..."
Then the commercial manager said: "Easy Peasy: let's give them away only to our best selling markets, where we are 100% sure, there is no issue."
The marketing manager however, did not say anything, because the CEO thought it was a waste of money to have one!

The result:
1) The great give away offends many people living in non-supported countries/states (including in the US!!!).
2) There is no aftermath to the give away: anyone can apply and then sell the device at eBay (never looks good for a brand to have their new products being sold at eBay for cheap)
3) Best selling countries are in less need of such a campain
4) This kind of campain fails to reach all those AMATEURS who WISHED they could put their hands on such a device
5) It makes no sense to offer these devices to companies: companies should purchase them!

Suggestion to do it better:
1) Have people submit WHY they want the price
2) Winners have to show one application on a blog/forum
3) Make the give away available globally, even if that means adding terms and conditions like: shipping, taxes and customs are at the expenses of the winner

Regards,
Vitor
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:46:33 pm by Bicurico »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2016, 08:53:55 pm »
The result:
1) The great give away offends many people living in non-supported countries/states (including in the US!!!).
Though luck!
The problem with giving stuff away for free is that people always start whining about how something isn't fair or it isn't exactly what they want. Keysight would do themselves a favour to sell the equipment at 95% discounts or something like that. An MSO2000X series for the price of a Rigol1000Z for example.
4) This kind of campain fails to reach all those AMATEURS who WISHED they could put their hands on such a device
AFAIK several forum members managed to get one of the scopes given away earlier for (relatively) low prices so in the end all is well.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 08:57:21 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2016, 09:27:36 pm »
AFAIK several forum members managed to get one of the scopes given away earlier for (relatively) low prices so in the end all is well.

That's why I said it would be simpler to just put them on Keysight eBay Store :)

I was thinking about this marketing and I still don't get it. For example sample programs - clear as day, get our parts free either for education or when building a prototype and then you'll be ordering production quantities from us.

What ScopeMonths/CyberWeeks are supposed make me do?

a) I'm responsible for ordering a scope for my workplace (uni) or let's imagine I'm doing a startup company. I don't care that some guy won a scope, I cannot build my business model around blind chance. I have budget for equipment, required features for the project, deadlines and what I want is to get the features I need at the price I can pay, so here marketing would mean various deals like bundles, discounts, lower price for academia or discounts when buying in quantity etc.

b) I'm a hobbyist, I cannot put this as an expense and claim VAT return and the distributor prices are quite high, even for people with decent salaries. Of course I would like to win one, but the chances are poor, a lot of people win them just to put them on eBay/Craigslist or build water heaters at best. This too somehow doesn't convince me to spend few months of my savings on Keysight in particular.

On the other hand maybe I'm too harsh and maybe not all the scopes put on eBay/Craigslist after ScopeMonth were from people with no interest in electronics and wanted to make quick buck. Come to think of it I would probably do the same, as after selling 3000X or 4000X one can then buy much better used scope.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2016, 09:48:13 pm »
FWIW, I have a small/growing business and won a 6000x 6Ghz scope. In a practical sense, I did not have the financial capability to buy a scope like this without ignoring a lot of other financial challenges. It has put me on an upward path to designs that were otherwise out of my reach. A scope is such a central part of design and validation that it influences greatly the products I choose to design. The win has,  as expected, been a turning point for my ambitious business. Now that my design capacity has improved and has lots of room to grow, I have spent the money on a new lab and preparing to hire someone.

Kind of awesome.

Sent from my horrible mobile....

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, lewis

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2016, 10:11:30 pm »
FWIW, I have a small/growing business and won a 6000x 6Ghz scope. In a practical sense, I did not have the financial capability to buy a scope like this without ignoring a lot of other financial challenges. It has put me on an upward path to designs that were otherwise out of my reach. A scope is such a central part of design and validation that it influences greatly the products I choose to design. The win has,  as expected, been a turning point for my ambitious business. Now that my design capacity has improved and has lots of room to grow, I have spent the money on a new lab and preparing to hire someone.

Good for you :) (although I'd prefer businesses paying for stuff, this is a for profit activity, additionally companies have a lot of tax and accounting tricks anyway, expenses, deductions, none of this available to a hobbyist, other companies sales people more likely to reply to emails etc - imagine me as a hobbyist and I would like to buy Qty 5 of some Broadcom part and get their NDA-ed datasheet :), not a good example because they probably wouldn't talk to you as a small business either, but you get the point ).

The point is how you winning 6000X in a random contest convinces me to raise Purchase Request at work to buy Keysight stuff - I think it's a non sequitur.

I see some marketing in giving scopes away to video bloggers, might be good for brand visibility, but still not extremely convincing in the end when it comes to spending thousands of pounds.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2016, 11:55:41 pm »
Keysight built a business on professional users. While some hobbyists and semi-pro customers buy Keysight products, my guess is that they are barely a blip in the annual report. My business has done giveaways with excellent long term benefit. It generates awareness and positive buzz with commercial customers that have no issue with the price. Just because its a business does not mean they buy whatever they want by just generating a magic PO. Capital equipment purchasing decisions are a critical component of a live or die analysis. Obviously some big businesses have a huge budget - most have to think real hard about buying a $20-$50k scope.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2016, 02:47:14 am »
5) It makes no sense to offer these devices to companies: companies should purchase them!

On this point, I might suggest there is real value.

Often one of the main issues for a manufacturer/distributor/supplier is getting a foot in the door.  If you have someone who's a Tek fanboy in a place of influence on purchasing, then you have to get past them with a product before the hands-on crew can check it out in the workplace and then provide their input into the purchasing process.

Putting a freebie in their hands has the potential to encourage purchase of further units.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2016, 03:14:55 am »
Putting a freebie in their hands has the potential to encourage purchase of further units.

That is exactly what I do in my own business. There are barriers beyond the price tag to get new business from a company that uses a competitive product. I regularly do freebies and demo's to try to get a company to latch on to what I am trying to sell them. Once they have a few in operation - the internal users figure out a way to get the purchasing people to buy more - often dozens at a time. I cam referring to specialized industrial equipment.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2016, 05:38:04 am »
I am referring to specialized industrial equipment.

Such as ?

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2016, 05:46:26 am »
I make products for motion picture camera systems. Rather small audience at the high end of the market.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2016, 06:37:18 am »
I make products for motion picture camera systems. Rather small audience at the high end of the market.

(He also has the gear to develop induction heating solutions - so he's looking to move onto bigger and better products!)

The following users thanked this post: ericloewe

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2016, 08:21:55 am »

Again, how giving one random guy/small business a scope once a year in a contest is going to encourage the other 99.999999% of businesses around the world (that didn't win) to buy Keysight (so they can get the foot in the door).

From business point of view it doesn't matter at all - I cannot build my business plan on one to a million chance of winning a scope. Much more likely I would have to pay for one so then the price and features matter.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2016, 09:54:28 am »

Again, how giving one random guy/small business a scope once a year in a contest is going to encourage the other 99.999999% of businesses around the world (that didn't win) to buy Keysight.

Testimonials, industry reports and reviews, word of mouth, networking, street cred.......

From business point of view it doesn't matter at all - I cannot build my business plan on one to a million chance of winning a scope. Much more likely I would have to pay for one so then the price and features matter.
From YOUR perspective, you are absolutely correct - but that's not the point.  The point is that WHEN you get around to purchasing a scope, you are more likely to go for a Keysight if you have a few extra positive 'vibes' around.  It's not a guarantee - but the chances will be greater.  If Keysight improves their chances across a few industries, they are going to make more sales.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 09:56:16 am by Brumby »

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2016, 10:17:57 am »
...if you have a few extra positive 'vibes' around...

You have to admit that's not very convincing :) Positive vibes might work on some people buying iPhones, but not an order of magnitude more expensive specialist gear.

In the end what really matters is price, features and quality. Tek can give even more MDOs to video bloggers and I still wouldn't buy one even if I had truck loads of money from VCs.

On the other hand I never requested samples from Linear, their parts are expensive, but I love to use them if I can (quality, excellent documentation including Jim Williams' app notes).

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2016, 11:23:36 am »

You have to admit that's not very convincing :) Positive vibes might work on some people buying iPhones, but not an order of magnitude more expensive specialist gear.

In the end what really matters is price, features and quality. Tek can give even more MDOs to video bloggers and I still wouldn't buy one even if I had truck loads of money from VCs.

On the other hand I never requested samples from Linear, their parts are expensive, but I love to use them if I can (quality, excellent documentation including Jim Williams' app notes).

I like both my Tek MDO and my Agilent MSOX - they each serve their own niche on my desk - and gets about equal usage. Yes the MDO UI is slow - but there are some nice features on the MDO that my Agilent does not have.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2016, 12:45:12 pm »

This is not going to be a demonstrable effect.  It is more a statistical influence.

The single fact I can offer is that these prizes are not given for no reason.

Perhaps you would be more comfortable with the simple idea that these giveaways
 - raise the profile of the Keysight brand
 - get interested parties to look at the products on offer
 - have those parties imagine having a Keysight scope on their bench and, thus add a little desire.  A desire which some people will be in a position to fulfill.

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2016, 01:06:33 pm »
This is not going to be a demonstrable effect.  It is more a statistical influence.

The single fact I can offer is that these prizes are not given for no reason.

Perhaps you would be more comfortable with the simple idea that these giveaways
 - raise the profile of the Keysight brand
 - get interested parties to look at the products on offer
 - have those parties imagine having a Keysight scope on their bench and, thus add a little desire.  A desire which some people will be in a position to fulfill.

I think the whole vibes thing and "little desire" is typical modern marketing of consumer products. In Keysight's case this would mean students and hobbyists at best, not their serious volume business customers.

Anyway, I suspect this is a clear out before MegaZoom V. Doesn't cost them much, creates some stir and displays the brand.  Also recently, for example, you can get DSOX2002A for free if you buy B2901A SMU (the price for the SMU alone is the same):
http://uk.farnell.com/keysight-technologies/b2901a-dsox2002a/source-measure-unit-200v-10a-31/dp/2580169

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2016, 11:19:31 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I was travelling last week so I wasn't able to get in on the conversation sooner.

Here's some non-legally-binding clarifications:
1. You get one entry before Cyberweek, then can get one additional entry per day during Cyberweek.
2. You have to have a valid business address to win, this is related to customs and fulfillment from our end. Start a C-Corp if you win, or something like that if you really want it.
3. These aren't "left over" stocking units. We're giving away new units as a thank-you to the community as a whole. From a marketing perspective it's not so bad for us either in the big picture.
4. Regional exclusions - these are nearly exclusively a  local rules & laws thing. Brumby, we're working very hard to get Australia included in Scope Month 2017, hang in there.
5. Please don't message me asking to get your country included, we're doing all that we can to include as many people as possible. If you're concerned that your local rules and regs are too stringent on this type of thing, work with your local government to effect change!  :-+
6. Taxes - this hasn't come up yet, but if your region makes you pay taxes on winnings then you owe taxes on the winnings. Get a tax-professional to help you if you win and are concerned about it.

w.r.t. the Scope Month winners, a few have sadly sold their winnings but there are a lot of really happy users out there that kept them!

-Daniel

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035, lewis, edavid, lukier, amitchell

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2016, 12:09:49 am »
4. Regional exclusions - these are nearly exclusively a  local rules & laws thing. Brumby, we're working very hard to get Australia included in Scope Month 2017, hang in there.
Belgium and The Netherlands are excluded as well but countries like France and Germany are not. I'd like to take a shot at the MSOS404A even if I have to promise not to sell it :box:
w.r.t. the Scope Month winners, a few have sadly sold their winnings but there are a lot of really happy users out there that kept them!
How is that sad? The winners got money to buy something else and the scopes found a good home to lead a most useful life.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2016, 08:15:04 am »

On behalf of all Aussies.....

:-+  :-+ :-+  :-+ :-+  :-+ :-+  :-+ :-+  :-+ :-+  :-+ :-+  :-+ :-+  :-+ :-+  :-+ :-+  :-+

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2016, 08:25:02 pm »
carlos did!

Yes, but Portugal is part of the EUROPEAN UNION and as such it gives a really bad light to Keysight's policy if they treat member States in different manners.

They do the same with the USA. I consider it unacceptable.

And this is why I post about it.

Regards,
Vitor
yes but different states have a different legislation in such matters.. and of course keysight's market is different in different EU countries

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2016, 09:14:38 pm »
Here's some non-legally-binding clarifications:
1. You get one entry before Cyberweek, then can get one additional entry per day during Cyberweek.

Thanks for the non-legally-binding clarifications, Daniel. I got my pre-week entry in. Glad to hear the first hints of a Scope Month 2017. :-+

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2016, 03:50:43 am »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2016, 03:56:19 am »
Well, well. Thank you very much, ProBang2. :clap:

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2016, 11:14:25 pm »
We have the live streams set up in YouTube for the giveaway, FYI. You can set up a reminder inside YouTube.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/KeysightOscilloscope

The following users thanked this post: saturation

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2016, 11:21:32 am »
Always nice to put a face to a name, Daniel makes an appearance.

Offline carl_lab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2016, 09:41:18 am »
...it's only for one week and a different scope is given away each day, as follows:

- Nov 28, 2016: 200 MHz 2000 X-Series oscilloscope (MSOX2024A)
- Nov 29, 2016: 500 MHz 3000T X-Series oscilloscope (MSOX3054T)
- Nov 30, 2016: 1 GHz 4000 X-Series oscilloscope (MSOX4104A)
- Dec 1, 2016: 2.5 GHz 6000 X-Series oscilloscope (MSOX6004A)
- Dec 2, 2016: 4 GHz S-Series oscilloscope (MSOS404A)

Do you have to register only once or each of these days?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 04:33:38 pm by carl_lab »

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2016, 04:16:32 am »
You get 1 entry in the pre-cyberweek period, and 1 entry per day during Cyberweek. You can also check the FAQs if you have any other questions.  Best of luck!

The following users thanked this post: carl_lab

Offline carl_lab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2016, 05:23:56 pm »
Livestream is not really working:
No sound or just only noise.
Just short video sequence - now completely dead... :-//

Anything we missed?

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:25:46 pm by carl_lab »

Offline carl_lab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2016, 06:39:02 pm »
Link to working video:

Nomen est omen (no offense, just kidding...)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 08:01:37 pm by carl_lab »

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2016, 11:08:11 pm »
Yeah, that was rough. We fixed it though, and will be back up for the rest of the week! Thanks for the patience, see you tomorrow!

https://youtu.be/cJ0h8n8jEZg

The following users thanked this post: carl_lab

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2016, 11:40:31 pm »
I think that what Keysight is doing here is just great   :-+, unfortunately I'm not able to enter the draw because of my location   :(,  but even if I could enter these types of draws I would have reservations about disclosing my legal name in public even though I have nothing really to hide   :-X, I understand that peoples names are used in marketing material and may form part of the terms of entry but still the option of a nickname or handle may give incentive for more people to participate, just my thoughts.

I did come across a list of what appeared to be prior participants with their full names published and I personally cringed at the thought as I did when Siglent also had a giveaway of some description, anyway other than that thank you Keysight and well done Daniel.   :-+ :)

Siglent Episode.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/win-a-free-siglent-oscilloscope-or-generator!/msg540425/#msg540425 

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2016, 11:45:14 pm »
What is submission deadline for a given day?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2016, 11:47:46 pm »
Bugger, I forgot to include the picture of the participants list.   :palm: 

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2016, 12:37:00 am »
Quick note on using full names - we originally were using first name + last initial, but we had a number of e-mails from individuals thinking that they'd won. In the interest of not being a heart breaker, we've gone to using full names.

Even then I had to send a sad "you didn't win" e-mail to someone with the same first & last name of a winner.

I like the idea of using an optional nickname or something similar, I'll feed that back to the team, thanks!

Offline SKPang

• Supporter
    • SK Pang Electronics Ltd
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2016, 09:42:29 pm »
Hi Daniel,

What are the chance of redeeming the application bundle since you only have 50 coupons ? I want to buy the MSOX3034T but no stock in the UK at the moment.
skpang.co.uk

Offline veryevil

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2016, 10:17:19 pm »
I've just won day 3! Cannot believe it. Now I just need to figure out the tax stuff and if it's free or 30% of 20% or what ever. Not going to be able to afford it if I have to pay.

I'm in the UK and that last person off here nihtila didn't have to pay.

Any advice? The response I got wasn't overly helpful as to whether or not I'll get charged.

Steven

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2016, 10:48:25 pm »
I've just won day 3! Cannot believe it. Now I just need to figure out the tax stuff and if it's free or 30% of 20% or what ever. Not going to be able to afford it if I have to pay.

Any advice? The response I got wasn't overly helpful as to whether or not I'll get charged.

Steven

Congrats!
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2016, 10:56:17 pm »
I've just won day 3! Not going to be able to afford it if I have to pay.

Any advice?

Steven

Super cool!

Can I claim dibs on your winnings if you can't pay? I can pay  :-+ Let's wait till the end of the week and see if I win.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2016, 01:03:00 am »
Hi Daniel,

What are the chance of redeeming the application bundle since you only have 50 coupons ? I want to buy the MSOX3034T but no stock in the UK at the moment.

Hi, you should be able to put in a PO with a distributor, which should be enough to start the coupon redemption process on our form. All you need to enter for us is the purchase date (the day the PO was issued to the distributor) and a PO number.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2016, 01:05:51 am »

Steven

Congrats again! We're unfortunately not global tax experts, so it's very difficult for us to provide guidance on local tax laws and liabilities. I was talking with Paul today, and we agreed it's ideal for you to speak with your local tax expert about it. It varies widely from country to country. I'm sorry that we can't be more helpful in that area :(.

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2016, 01:22:26 am »
In the UK, competition wins are not taxable.
If it's shipped direct from the US, there may be be VAT (20%) and import duty ( don't know but not much), however Keysight may be able to arrange for it to come from their UK office, in which case there wouldn't be anything to pay 
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2016, 10:23:12 am »

Steven
I think this is exactly why the giveaway was clearly stated as only being for those with a company email address.

All the "I won it but I can afford the tax" nonsense made a right mess of scopemonth a while ago.

I had a quick chat with Daniel via PM before this started, as I am a hobbyist but would be happy to pay the VAT on anything I won. He was very helpful, but I decided it wouldn't be appropriate to enter.

Offline carl_lab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2016, 06:58:21 pm »
I think this is exactly why the giveaway was clearly stated as only being for those with a company email address.
All the "I won it but I can afford the tax" nonsense made a right mess of scopemonth a while ago.
That's a nice idea: my company will pay the taxes for my scope.  :-+
I'm not so sure they would find it as funny as me...
If I win a scope and my company claims it as their property, I must be very careful not to let it drop when unpacking.
To say it clearly: I'd feel better without naming my company...

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2016, 08:56:27 am »
The 'enter now >' link on  the 'Cyber Week Deals on Keysight Oscilloscopes' page is not working any more.  :-\

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
  • A Finn in Scotland. Audio Apps Engineer and Maker.
    • nihtila.com DIY audio electronics
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2016, 10:50:36 am »
In the UK, competition wins are not taxable.
If it's shipped direct from the US, there may be be VAT (20%) and import duty ( don't know but not much), however Keysight may be able to arrange for it to come from their UK office, in which case there wouldn't be anything to pay

That was the case for me - they used a local distributor so there was nothing to pay. However, I do not know when I can say I am 100% clear as taxman is famous for hunting you down even after years. Anyway, as people have told me prizes are not taxable in the UK so it should stay like this. If I need to pay something afterwards, I would need to sell the scope. Until that I will enjoy my prize - I never win anything so this have kind of paid back all the raffles I have not won in :)
http://nihtila.com - Vegan DIY audio electronics, does not contain snake oil

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2016, 03:33:43 pm »
Cyber Week page doesn't work again  :(

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2016, 04:14:56 pm »
Cyber Week page doesn't work again  :(

I can't enter! Time is running out!!! :scared:

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2016, 04:17:47 pm »
New link here:

http://bit.ly/CyberWeekEntry

(Facebook login NOT required)

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2016, 04:23:08 pm »
New link here:

:phew: That was a close one. Thanks Daniel!

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2016, 04:29:53 pm »
New link here:

:phew: That was a close one. Thanks Daniel!

Indeed, battling to do this from an underground tube train on my way home, with brief few seconds of WiFi at stations. But I made it!

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2016, 04:46:19 pm »
The Capta on the new link is not displaying any graphic here!

Edit: Success after 5 goes...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 05:01:55 pm by Towger »

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2016, 12:14:38 am »
That's an idea that I proposed at one point. Basically, the value of that coupon is then 99% of MSRP and the "winner" would owe taxes on 99% of the scope instead of 100% of the scope.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2016, 04:03:41 am »
I was hoping to have the problem of paying taxes on a won scope last week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2016, 12:07:37 am »
This is probably the only time one would look forward to paying taxes. ;D

The following users thanked this post: K2CK

Offline K2CK

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2016, 05:46:10 pm »
You can never have too many multimeters  ;D

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2017, 12:53:58 am »
That's an idea that I proposed at one point. Basically, the value of that coupon is then 99% of MSRP and the "winner" would owe taxes on 99% of the scope instead of 100% of the scope.

David can individuals win this time?

Are you going on vacation in March, if so where ha      ha       ha

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2017, 09:17:38 pm »
Yes, individuals can win this time around.

Also, the coupon thing was discussed around Scope Month 2016 but it doesn't get you anywhere. The value of the coupon would also be taxable.

Offline SKPang

• Supporter
    • SK Pang Electronics Ltd
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2017, 09:00:38 am »
I didn't win any of the scope give away in December but took their offer of the app bundle coupon.

Bought a MSOX3034T for the price of the DSO and now got the free app bundle.

Took  ages to get the license key. It turned out my distributor didn't report my purchase to Keysight.

Happy with new scope.
skpang.co.uk

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2017, 08:40:38 pm »
I didn't win any of the scope give away in December but took their offer of the app bundle coupon.

Bought a MSOX3034T for the price of the DSO and now got the free app bundle.

Took  ages to get the license key. It turned out my distributor didn't report my purchase to Keysight.

Happy with new scope.

Quoted to illustrate the real reason for these contests. I'm sure I won't win this time either so I might loose control and just buy one!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf