Poll

Is your country eligible?

Yes
271 (65.1%)
No
145 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 406

Voting closed: March 29, 2016, 12:24:45 am

Author Topic: Keysight Scope Giveaway  (Read 180947 times)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
Re: Keysight Scope Giveaway
« Reply #500 on: April 28, 2016, 09:53:44 pm »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #501 on: April 30, 2016, 08:53:04 am »
One of winners locally to me who won a 3104T already has it on craigslist, sigh.

I don't see the problem, I'd sell it too.

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #502 on: April 30, 2016, 11:30:59 am »
Didn't win a scope but this a huge coffee mug, much appreciated Daniel, its Winter here so this will come in handy.

@Dave
Even a Keysight Mug shipped all the way from Colorado Springs journeys its way down to the tip of South Africa (in tact no packets lost).  (Never mind what Frankey Tom claims)  ;D

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #503 on: April 30, 2016, 05:31:09 pm »
Hope the mug taxes did not ruin your life, lol.

In my little corner of the world - coffee mugs are the ideal way to get name recognition into the heart of the purchase decision. I never buy anything expensive without my favorite coffee/tea mug close by.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #504 on: April 30, 2016, 06:59:36 pm »

zero taxes, package contents said "software"  >:D

In my little corner of the world - coffee mugs are the ideal way to get name recognition into the heart of the purchase decision. I never buy anything expensive without my favorite coffee/tea mug close by.
In my case its the reverse case, I bought a 34461A then indirectly got the Mug, (Note:I got the mug from scopemonth daily suggestions)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #505 on: May 01, 2016, 04:44:21 am »
A very nice mug, indeed. Thanks for the (teardown) photo. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #506 on: May 04, 2016, 12:38:49 am »
In my case its the reverse case, I bought a 34461A then indirectly got the Mug, (Note:I got the mug from scopemonth daily suggestions)

Daniel sent me a mug as well, for my suggestion that they make a scope that could do my taxes.  :)  The idea came straight from all the tax liability discussions here on the forum.   I made an unboxing video too.  Everyone with a YouTube channel has to have an unboxing video...

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #507 on: May 13, 2016, 10:09:13 am »
The contest did raise my awareness of keysights brand, but i hav'nt yet bought one.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline raupi

• Contributor
« Reply #508 on: May 30, 2016, 09:59:05 pm »
Hi folks,

just to give you a quick update, the scope month scopes finally arrived even in Germany. Well, to be exact, the distributor already had them in stock for 3 weeks but they apparently hadn’t found any time to hand one to me until today. Germany seems to be a bit special in this respect, they don’t ship them via parcel service as in other countries, they insist to hand them to you by a distributor sales representative. So I got an invitation to visit the distributors HQ in Reutlingen today, a ~80km drive from where I live, to get my scope handed to me there. Kind of weird, but yeah, that’s how it is so I jumped into my car, heading north. To add a little drama to it, we had massive rainfalls and a lot of heavy floodings in that area the night before and I was a little bit anxious about closed roads or worse. Check it out, all hell broke loose:

But all went well, the sales rep was very friendly and gave me a short introduction to the scope. It was a bit of an unusual situation for both of us, he probably wasn’t used to deal with private customers (they usually only deal with businesses) and I was only listening to him with half an ear because, to be honest, all I wanted was to grab my scope and drive home with it as fast as I could... But it was all hunky dory, nothing to complain about... I’ll keep it running over night to check if it’s stable and will do the recommended firmware update tomorrow.

Thanks to the whole scope month team for this awesome giveaway, I entered it with no real hopes of winning, just for the fun of it and now there’s a fantastic shiny new scope sitting on the bench right in front of me. Somehow, I still can’t believe it :-).

And thanks to Dave, because he is the host of this forum, the place where I've learned about the giveaway. Without the EEVblog forum I probably never would have known about it.

The following users thanked this post: electr_peter

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #509 on: May 30, 2016, 10:31:35 pm »

Congratulations!   :clap: :clap: :-+ :clap: :clap:

Just to make it clear: The scope is fully equipped with all options? Permanent?

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #510 on: May 30, 2016, 10:37:52 pm »
Looks like the majority of them are trial options. Can't quite tell if that's a 6 or an 8 (1 month or 3).

Offline raupi

• Contributor
« Reply #511 on: May 30, 2016, 10:43:18 pm »
Thanks ProBang2

Yes, the options with the asterisks (bit hard to see on the image) are only 30 day trials. But I'm in touch with Mr. Bogdanoff :)

Offline Flanbix

• Contributor
  • If you don't know, ask. If you know, share.
« Reply #512 on: May 31, 2016, 11:12:39 am »
Still waiting for mine.  :popcorn:
Got in touch with D. Bogdanoff and now waiting to hear from the distributor.

At least when you have to pick it up yourself, you are not worry about paying any taxes. Asked for the 250Mhz version just because of that risk (probably be too cautious)...

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #513 on: May 31, 2016, 04:26:44 pm »
Still waiting for mine.  :popcorn:
Got in touch with D. Bogdanoff and now waiting to hear from the distributor.

Daniel needs a full time contest fulfillment and logistics assistant. I suspect he has been getting a tidal wave of emails asking about details.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline valgamaa

• Contributor
« Reply #514 on: May 31, 2016, 06:12:45 pm »

Key sight sent me a free mug for having an article published that used their software. The declared value was 34 Cents above the EU duty threshold, so the free mug cost me 43 Euros in duty+handling fees. Not sure I can afford to publish any more articles!

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #515 on: May 31, 2016, 08:05:32 pm »
Key sight sent me a free mug for having an article published that used their software. The declared value was 34 Cents above the EU duty threshold, so the free mug cost me 43 Euros in duty+handling fees. Not sure I can afford to publish any more articles!

just out of curiosity.. what was the value ? i'm pretty sure the limit for not paying vat nor customs duty for the whole EU is 22 euros.. above 22 euros value you pay the local VAT but still not paying customs duty... above 150 euros value you pay both.
so did they declare the value of the mug above 150 euros ? (above 150Eur would match the 43eur duties you mention). actually that would be kind of stupid or done on purpose by them...

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #516 on: May 31, 2016, 09:50:04 pm »
Sounds more like a surcharge fee from the shipping company for doing the clearance.
(e.g. DHL Finland: 5% of the duty charged + VAT or at least 24.80€)

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #517 on: May 31, 2016, 11:34:48 pm »

Yet another reason for #Brexit - the absurd EU import VAT level. Australia has $1000 before customs are interested. Those of us in the EU dictatorship, £15 or thereabouts. The VAT on £15 is £3. But of course we all have to pay for the paperwork and mentally challenged to establish that 20% calculation - and sometimes the weeks sitting in customs while they work it out - then get charged £10+ for their hard work of paying £3 tax. That same tax costs the HMRC at least 10 times as much to process as it does a streamlined capitalist for profit company like DHL or UPS. So the taxpayers waste £100 to collect £3 and the couriers get £10+

Having said that, how on earth Keysight have the gall to declare a promotional mug to have a value of £15+ is beyond me.  :palm: If they ticked the "gift" box then it would probably get through, just...

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #518 on: June 01, 2016, 12:22:47 am »
Having said that, how on earth Keysight have the gall to declare a promotional mug to have a value of £15+ is beyond me.  :palm: If they ticked the "gift" box then it would probably get through, just...
Because the US has a high duty-free threshold, senders in the US often just don't know that it's important not to over-declare stuff.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #519 on: June 01, 2016, 12:33:03 am »
Sign up for a free Keysight seminar in your city (look up their seminar schedule) and get a mug for free
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline valgamaa

• Contributor
« Reply #520 on: June 01, 2016, 11:25:04 am »

just out of curiosity.. what was the value ? i'm pretty sure the limit for not paying vat nor customs duty for the whole EU is 22 euros.. above 22 euros value you pay the local VAT but still not paying customs duty... above 150 euros value you pay both.
so did they declare the value of the mug above 150 euros ? (above 150Eur would match the 43eur duties you mention). actually that would be kind of stupid or done on purpose by them...
They valued the mug at 15 Dollars, and included a Starbucks card with 10 Dollars of credit. This equated to 22.34 Euros, and therefore liable for local charges. It was the courier minimum charges that bumped things up so much. I have to say that I'm confused by the Brexit comments though - how would that change the need to make a customs declaration, let alone in another country!

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #521 on: June 01, 2016, 12:12:03 pm »
They valued the mug at 15 Dollars, and included a Starbucks card with 10 Dollars of credit. This equated to 22.34 Euros, and therefore liable for local charges. It was the courier minimum charges that bumped things up so much. I have to say that I'm confused by the Brexit comments though - how would that change the need to make a customs declaration, let alone in another country!
It won't change the need to make the declaration. However the CN22 includes a 'gift' tick-box which has a higher threshold (about double).

The couriers minimum charges did not kick in until they had to go through the ordeal of calculating the *4.47 EUR VAT for you.

I bring up the Brexit issue because I get cheesed off with this outright extortion over here too.

The UK is tied to these ludicrously low EU-wide tax thresholds, even though we are not in the EURO. HMRC have to implement their own exchange rate mechanism for GBP/EUR in order to comply with the dictats from Brussels.

I'm pretty sure once we have our own government back in charge such stupid thresholds (which surely cost the tax authorities far more to enforce than they collect) will be a thing of the past. Of course the courier lobbyists will try it on with our politicians too in order to keep their scam. But we elect and vote out politicians, unlike the dictators at the EU commission. I wonder how many backhanders and sweeteners the likes of DHL have negotiated in Brussels smoke filled rooms?

(* ETA: I just did the VAT calculation. That will be 20 EUR processing fee, thank you  :-DD )
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:18:03 pm by Macbeth »

Offline valgamaa

• Contributor
« Reply #522 on: June 01, 2016, 12:25:48 pm »
The couriers minimum charges did not kick in until they had to go through the ordeal of calculating the 4 EUR VAT for you.

That isn't true. A customs declaration is required for all goods entering a country (but the UK is pretty lax at applying this - even as an EU member), and for this DHL charge 25 Euros. They then charge 10 Euros to administer something else (I can't remember), charge VAT on this, then charge the VAT on the goods. So something like 41 Euros is what DHL charge, even for an empty box, marked as a gift.

Offline raupi

• Contributor
« Reply #523 on: June 01, 2016, 08:47:21 pm »
I've just plugged in the USB Dongle of my Logitech wireless mouse and it works a treat, nice :)

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #524 on: June 02, 2016, 07:35:34 pm »

This is a joke, right? I hope?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf