Author Topic: Power Supply Contest! Free E36312A  (Read 34227 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Power Supply Contest! Free E36312A
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2017, 08:15:53 pm »
Happy to oblige!

This is an unloaded output of ch1 into high impedance scope input. The smallest programming step on the list mode is 10ms, which is about as good as you can get by programming remotely, but perhaps you could step faster with a digital IO driving the list. Each test is the psu list first, then scope captures.

You can see these two chunky 200R on ch1 (which has 470u output capacitance on the front panel, and maybe a bit more elsewhere), while ch2/ch3 have just one 200R and 100u output capacitance. More or less matches up with the discharge times.

Thanks, Adam. Nicely done. You can definitely see the impact to the steps on the way down. It's not too bad until that last step from 1V to 0. Makes you want to experiment with the output circuitry (if it wasn't brand new).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
  • A Finn in Scotland. Audio Apps Engineer and Maker.
    • nihtila.com DIY audio electronics
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2017, 12:17:34 am »
I got my box! And follow-up to some discussion a page or two back, I did not need to pay anything. Although it was shipped from Malaysia. So this was handled some different way again to those two example cases I mentioned before. Anyway, happy winner without any tax bills! But it is definitely not clear when you win something how things are gonna end up. But then again, if expenses occur you have signed up to take care of them.

Thank you Keysight - again!
http://nihtila.com - Vegan DIY audio electronics, does not contain snake oil

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2017, 10:15:20 pm »
I'm loving my power supply and really appreciate Keysight running yet another great competition.

For those of you who are happy that you didn't have to pay any tax, I may have some bad news for you. My PSU arrived about 6 weeks ago and it seemed like they was no tax to pay. Today I had a demand from DHL for tax and import duty. That's all fair enough and I'm happy to pay it - especially as the declared value was a fair bit less than retail.

The only problem I had that as it was delivered to my work address the demand came to my employer and there was a bit of confusion. My boss knew nothing about it and wasn't happy about a tax demand for something the company hadn't ordered. I had a call from DHL that *so* sounded like a scam that I hung up on them. All a bit messy!

Offline adamgreig

• Contributor
    • Adam Greig
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2017, 10:49:30 pm »
For those of you who are happy that you didn't have to pay any tax, I may have some bad news for you. My PSU arrived about 6 weeks ago and it seemed like they was no tax to pay. Today I had a demand from DHL for tax and import duty. That's all fair enough and I'm happy to pay it - especially as the declared value was a fair bit less than retail.

You should check with Keysight before paying - I think they intended to have paid the import tax, for the UK shipments at the least, so it's worth double checking...

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2017, 11:00:18 pm »
I've got no problem being responsible for the tax - unless Keysight have already paid it and DHL are trying to play both sides. I probably wouldn't put that past them!

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2017, 11:22:22 pm »
If they declare the value as COGS, etc. I'd be loopy if I won...

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2017, 09:46:00 am »
I'm loving my power supply and really appreciate Keysight running yet another great competition.

The only problem I had that as it was delivered to my work address the demand came to my employer and there was a bit of confusion. My boss knew nothing about it and wasn't happy about a tax demand for something the company hadn't ordered. I had a call from DHL that *so* sounded like a scam that I hung up on them. All a bit messy!

Oh ok, good to know. And be prepared.

I don't have problems paying taxes on these if that is the case but those courier companies are just a bunch of scumbags, especially DHL (same experience in two countries I've lived in). Sometimes they have huge fees and no way to avoid. I also think they just make up those value numbers for VAT (which luckily can be an advantage as well) as I am often seeing so round numbers that cannot be result of any calculation. For example, if you need to pay £100 VAT it may be £50 VAT and £50 fees - so they deliberately use very low value? But you don't even get any cost breakdown unless you ask. And as the VAT cost for you is still lower than it could be, you don't want to ask more questions. Clever eh?

Sending VAT invoice afterwards sounds a bit odd as they usually don't release the parcel before they get the VAT money as they need to pay it themselves. Hard to believe they would really try to bluff that bad though..

Something related to the topic as well - this PSU seems to have lots of bugs and UI quirks (for a Keysight product)! I really hope they put some effort on fixing these.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 09:48:12 am by nihtila »

The following users thanked this post: Krampmeier

Offline Krampmeier

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2017, 10:05:28 pm »
I got a call from DHL Express today - the parcel with my unit was stopped at the German customs because they thought it would be a commercial shipment. I had to send them a declaration that this is a private shipment to my private address, and originates from winning an idea contest - we'll see if / how much they want me to pay in the end...

Offline Krampmeier

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2017, 07:36:04 pm »
I got my unit today  :-+ ! Keysight spared no expenses and shipped it via DHL Express international - I am really impressed by their generosity! I did not have to pay anything, as everything was taken care of by Keysight.
I did not have much opportunity to play with the power supply yet, but for now I am a happy camper. Some parts for the next project also arrived as well, so there willl be enough opportunity to use the new toy!

The signs of immatureness of the firmware, which are pointed out in the video linked by nihtila, are nothing compared to the downsides of my old power supply... I hope they will be fixed soon though!

I wonder if we'll eventually see some custom firmware for this unit, and maybe hardware hacks as well (eg. constant current discharge circuit instead of bleeder resistors)!

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2017, 08:27:02 pm »
Congrats! You actually won twice. You got your unit for free and you got it quick. I ordered the 160W version but I have to wait another 6 weeks for it to arrive  :'(
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2017, 08:03:29 am »
Nice, that you got your PSU, Krampmeier

I had not even noticed many of the firmware problems pointed out in the video above and I totally agree, that the positive aspects of this E36312A are much higher than some of the software shortcomings.

What I like the most is the keypad, that I can just enter the desired values.
That is something I have always been missing in Agilent power supplies.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2017, 08:21:07 am »
How to win this?

1. Show my lab powered by lemons?
2. Show how LXI would benefit me?

Or is it just show off what you're currently using?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2017, 08:34:23 am »
How to win this?

1. Show my lab powered by lemons?
2. Show how LXI would benefit me?

Or is it just show off what you're currently using?
If we knew, we'd all have a new supply!

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2017, 09:36:50 am »
I do agree it is a huge improvement over the old Agilent supplies but was still a bit surprised by the amount of bugs and oddities shown in that video. And he has some very nice suggestions there as well, e.g. showing energy instead of instantaneous power for small-power applications.

I use those old Agilent triple output ones at work and they are not very user-friendly. Small display showing only one output at a time, no numpad, cumbersome setting between voltages and current limits, etc... So yes these major flaws have been fixed in these new ones along with loads of new features added.

We also have one of those big N6705 supplies at work, these E36300 have clearly borrowed loads of features from there.

Power output is not very high on this smaller model and sense lines are only on rear connectors but doesn't bother me. Although I may make some kind of cable distribution block from the back using the sense lines as well.

I also like how it is very quiet. Although I usually have my scope on as well which is a lot louder. But nice to have a quiet PSU as I mainly do audio stuff.

I still don't understand keeping the fan on when the unit is powered off though! But not an issue as I switch off power completely from my bench when not in use.

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2017, 10:12:19 am »
I hope I win one of these supplies-- I desperately need one and I cannot afford to buy a new one.  If not, I will be forced to buy a refurbished Rigol 832-- but that is a "plastic toy" compared to the Keysight supply...

I actually just bought a Rigol 832 a year ago (which I may consider selling now, will see). I wouldn't call it a toy, it is heavier and maybe sturdier unit than these lower power Keysight's although the quality of finish may not be the same. It has similar informative display and while it is missing some features you can get a lot by hacking it. It also has three times higher current on the higher voltage channels. It certainly had loads of issues but they have been fixed over time so it is the way to go for a hobbyist with limited budget. Nevertheless, I wish you luck on winning a Keysight one!

Offline TheDane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2017, 06:34:15 pm »
I got my unit today  :-+ ! Keysight spared no expenses and shipped it via DHL Express international - I am really impressed by their generosity! I did not have to pay anything, as everything was taken care of by Keysight.

Congratulations!
- it has been one of the reasons why I have not entered the Power Supply Contest.
Customs... Duties (Like, I don't have enough on my mind already, and not enough in the bank...)

Sad thing though, my only power supply is not that good any more.  :bullshit:

Real life, periodically when turned on -

Fortunately I'm about done with my way to long things-to-do-list, and it's soon time to start on my ESR meter project, and get that malfunction fixed. A better PSU, tripple outputs  :P
Hmm.. through January?

Offline Magnificent Bastard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #116 on: January 01, 2018, 09:13:57 pm »
I just submitted my application... I teach kids introductory electronics, and this supply would really help with that!  I am perpetually low on funds for equipment and supplies, and there would be no way to buy one of these supplies outright.  It would be a way to get a lot of eyeballs of budding engineers on Keysight equipment.  I hope I win!   :)

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2018, 09:50:25 pm »
I just submitted my application... I teach kids introductory electronics, and this supply would really help with that!  I am perpetually low on funds for equipment and supplies, and there would be no way to buy one of these supplies outright.  It would be a way to get a lot of eyeballs of budding engineers on Keysight equipment.  I hope I win!   :)
Wasn't the contest limited to the end of 2017?

Oh, I see, it is still running to Januray 2018
Great that you still could submit and good luck!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 09:52:38 pm by HighVoltage »
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Magnificent Bastard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: January 01, 2018, 10:49:27 pm »
Wasn't the contest limited to the end of 2017?

Oh, I see, it is still running to Januray 2018
Great that you still could submit and good luck!

Well, when I submitted the form-- it went to a blank page, and I was never sent a confirmation email...  Is that what it did for everyone else?

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2018, 09:48:20 am »
Well, when I submitted the form-- it went to a blank page, and I was never sent a confirmation email...  Is that what it did for everyone else?
Yes, that is correct. I had the same.

The following users thanked this post: Magnificent Bastard

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2018, 02:26:22 pm »
Me too and I didn't win anything!  :'( As usual  |O
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Magnificent Bastard

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2018, 03:43:07 pm »
Same here, I usually never win anything.
This time was a very nice exception.

But I think you can enter the contest again until Jan. 26

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2018, 01:08:56 am »

I share your pain.  :'(
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2018, 12:50:56 pm »
Hi everyone, the power supply folks recently kicked off a contest and are giving away an E36312A every week through January.

Here's a link to enter:
http://rfmw.em.keysight.com/promotions/powerupyourbench.html?cmpid=Rdt_puyb0917

To enter:
Power Up Your Bench with a power supply solution that can help identify and address problems early in the design process.

You can win this new power supply for your own bench! Just tell us what you would do with your new bench power supply, and you could win a new Keysight E36312A triple output power supply!

1. Upload a video, story, or story with a picture telling us how a new Keysight power supply will help you ‘Power Up Your Bench’
2. Submission must be related to and/or contain a power supply
3. Submission must include a title for your story

Winners will be selected weekly by a panel of judges and entries will be accepted from August 28, 2017 through January 26, 2018. Check back to view entries and submit another story - multiple entries are allowed!

I'm not gonna lie, the odds are looking pretty good for anyone who enters ASAP with a decent submission.

And the eligibility from the T&Cs:
Promotion Description/Eligibility. No purchase necessary. This promotion is limited to specific countries and is only open to entrants aged 18 years or older at the time of submission who are legal residents of, and physically located within, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), China*, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States (excluding Arizona). Government agencies and institutions (including public universities), and their employees, are not eligible to participate or receive prizes, nor are individuals who appear on the U.S. Government Department of Treasury’s Specially Designated Nationals List.

Thank you DanielBogdanoff for making me aware. It just won me a late christmas present  ;D ;D ;D

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2018, 01:29:12 pm »

Thank you DanielBogdanoff for making me aware. It just won me a late christmas present  ;D ;D ;D

Congratulations, sixtimesseven

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf