Author Topic: Scope Month 2017 Megathread  (Read 112639 times)

Offline amitchell

• Regular Contributor
Re: Scope Month 2017 Megathread
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2017, 03:31:50 am »
I keep getting the message "Sorry But You Entered More Than The Allowed Number of Times" even when I wait more than a day to re-enter.  Anyone else running into this?

Usually you are allowed one entry in the time leading up to Scope Month, then a daily entry during that month.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2017, 05:02:45 am »
I keep getting the message "Sorry But You Entered More Than The Allowed Number of Times" even when I wait more than a day to re-enter.  Anyone else running into this?

Refer to this:

You only get one pre-promotion entry - and you've done that already.

You will have to wait....
"This promotion begins on March 1, 2017 at 12:00 midnight PST and ends on March 31, 2017 at 9:00 AM PST"

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2017, 11:24:21 am »
Get Australia on the eligible list and we'll even forgive you!

Australia will have their own independent contest (not sweepstakes) beginning 1-March. Tune in then for details!

I'll believe it when it happens, after 3 contests I cannot enter I'm kind of bored with it all.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2017, 01:53:19 pm »
Get Australia on the eligible list and we'll even forgive you!

Australia will have their own independent contest (not sweepstakes) beginning 1-March. Tune in then for details!

I'll believe it when it happens, after 3 contests I cannot enter I'm kind of bored with it all.

That's a rather negative view.

In the past, Australia has simply been omitted - and I don't doubt it has been because of our legal obligations.

Now, Daniel has made an explicit statement that we are going to get our own contest.  I would expect the prize offering may not be as generous as that for the (however limited) international competition - but we are going to have a chance at something!

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2017, 03:08:10 pm »
Yeah come on darn it!    :)
Gone for good

Offline irakandjii

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2017, 04:42:54 pm »
Ok I entered my information twice now and when I enter the Capcha information I get returned to the blank entry page with no confirmation.
So,  I still do not know if I am entered. 
And if I try again I might get caught up in a "post review" indicating multiple entries.

How should I proceed?...  Is there any way to sort out if we have an entry?

Seems things are ok???   I just tried again and this time I got a message that I had entered already, so I am assuming one of the earlier entries went through.  It would have been good to get a positive confirmation though.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2017, 06:48:27 pm »
Ok I entered my information twice now and when I enter the Capcha information I get returned to the blank entry page with no confirmation.
So,  I still do not know if I am entered. 
And if I try again I might get caught up in a "post review" indicating multiple entries.

How should I proceed?...  Is there any way to sort out if we have an entry?

Seems things are ok???   I just tried again and this time I got a message that I had entered already, so I am assuming one of the earlier entries went through.  It would have been good to get a positive confirmation though.

If you get a message that you entered already, your entry definitely went through. I'll double check the system's confirmation page, what browser/device are you using?

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2017, 07:47:34 am »
In the past, Australia has simply been omitted
Now, Daniel has made an explicit statement that we are going to get our own contest....
This is great news and is the catalyst that has dragged me out from lurking for the last 6 years...

I would expect the prize offering may not be as generous as that for the (however limited) international competition - but we are going to have a chance at something!
Chance yes, but as far as I am aware these 5 scopes are not exclusive to residents of Australia, therefore the chance is also there that none of these 5 scopes stay in Australia. Those that are eligible for Scope Month have just had their chances increased from  >125 scopes to >130 scopes.

Don't get me wrong, I am stoked there is now a chance for us aussies even if we do have to compete with the rest of the world.

It's better than nuthin'!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:54:00 am by MrBungle »

Offline magnehh

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2017, 07:58:05 am »
Hey Daniel.

I know Norway is not listed and there are legal reasons why not. But could you elaborate on exactly which laws prevent you from including Norway in the contest? Or is it simply that there are too many laws and regulations to go through, and you don't have the time or the money to do that?

All the best,
Magne

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2017, 11:25:03 am »
If your country isn’t on the dropdown list and you have to type it in “other”,
does that mean the country is not in the competition?

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2017, 11:54:53 am »
You should get to a confirmation page and a non-mandatory "share on Facebook" window. (Don't hate me for the Facebook share thing).

I was presented with what I initially thought was a blank page. I had to scroll up to see the confirmation message.

Someone needs to do a little work on the UI.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2017, 11:56:43 am »
The Netherlands still not included just as last year before Trump.

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2017, 12:01:14 pm »
MAC-adress?

MAC address is a layer 2 thing, i.e. usually no further than the network segment your PC sits on (as in, to your router). It wont make it across the Internet to be used for identity matching purposes.

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2017, 12:07:37 pm »
The draw at 31-march contains the entries made until 30-march 23:59:59, correct?

It sounds like a compounding thing from his explanation.

So the draw on 31st march includes all entries from March 1 00:00:00 to March 31 23:59:59.

That means on the last day of the competition you can have up to 31 entries which may be selected from.

As is my understanding.

Offline pappkopp

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2017, 12:21:25 pm »
I have been interested in this event for several years. But i cant for the love of god understand why Norway inst included in the countries?
 :-BROKE :-BROKE :-BROKE :-BROKE

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2017, 12:52:21 pm »
Quote from: Scope Month 2017 – Oscilloscope Sweepstakes Rules
2. Promotion Period. This promotion begins on March 1, 2017 at 12:00 midnight PST and ends on March 31, 2017 at 9:00 AM PST (“Promotion Period”), before which all entries must be received.

It seems you have 32 possible entries:
One pre-promotion entry plus one entry every day in march.
Be aware: The last entry must be made until 31.03.2017, 09:00:00 AM PST. (See quotation above.)
Therefor the last draw is on 31. March.

BTW: PST? What happened to MST? E.g. there:

Quote from: Scope Month 2017 – Oscilloscope Sweepstakes Rules
8. Winner Selection. [...] The final drawing will be on March 31, 2017 at 10:00AM Mountain Standard Time USA.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2017, 01:09:30 pm »

BTW: PST? What happened to MST? E.g. there:

The use of PST and MST is not a problem.

PST is used to define the start and end of the promotion.  MST is used to define the "Day" during which each "daily" entry can be submitted.

If you are still confused, draw out a time line and mark out all the points.  (Save yourself a lot of effort by only doing this for a day either side of the start and a day either side of the end.)

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2017, 04:05:34 pm »

It seems you have 32 possible entries:
One pre-promotion entry plus one entry every day in march.
Be aware: The last entry must be made until 31.03.2017, 09:00:00 AM PST. (See quotation above.)
Therefor the last draw is on 31. March.

Correct

For the PST/MST thing, we had to run the event off of the time zone of our HQ in Santa Rosa, but since we're all in CO (scope folks, anyways) it's much easier for us to work off of MST.

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2017, 05:15:29 pm »
For the PST/MST thing, we had to run the event off of the time zone of our HQ in Santa Rosa, but since we're all in CO (scope folks, anyways) it's much easier for us to work off of MST.

Convert to UTC and let everyone work it out for themselves. ;D

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2017, 05:20:56 pm »

Convert to UTC and let everyone work it out for themselves. ;D

The only sensible option for international events!

Offline LazyJack

• Frequent Contributor
  • Yeah, cool.
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2017, 05:25:50 pm »
What a bummer. Hungary is still missing from the list of countries. Keysight shoud make their legal staff work for their money, and figure out the way to include other countries too. Tektronix had a giveway here some years ago. Just sayin'.

Offline TNb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2017, 07:35:24 pm »
Keysight_DanielBogdanoff, I just noticed that university employees are not eligible for contest, by habit I written my university name in company field, though I am a student, no employee. I hope there is no automatic script that discards entries with universities and I am still ok? :D

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2017, 09:17:01 pm »
what happens to a prize if the winner is later discovered ineligible?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2017, 09:24:33 pm »
Previously, if a winner was ineligible or declined their winnings, the prizes went back into the pool to be given away again.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline r4ptor

• Contributor
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2017, 11:36:16 pm »
Keysight_DanielBogdanoff, I just noticed that university employees are not eligible for contest, by habit I written my university name in company field, though I am a student, no employee. I hope there is no automatic script that discards entries with universities and I am still ok? :D

Yeah, me too. Didn't want to write "private" or something like this in the field.

But since I'm not employed at my university...  :-//
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:04:47 am by r4ptor »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf