Author Topic: Scope Month 2017 Megathread  (Read 112004 times)

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
Re: Scope Month 2017 Megathread
« Reply #175 on: March 08, 2017, 06:49:38 pm »
Today's drawing below. 
Five year warranty is great...but doesn't that mean you have to keep your mittens out of the scope for an extra two years ?

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline FireFlower

• Regular Contributor
  • Wish had a cabin in Lappland
« Reply #176 on: March 08, 2017, 09:15:31 pm »
Today's drawing below. 
Five year warranty is great...but doesn't that mean you have to keep your mittens out of the scope for an extra two years ?

Like it has kept us out anyway? Well nice to see the little Saturday scopes will have longer warranty. I am just wondering do the scopes come up with that digital RS232 & CAN etc options aswell.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #177 on: March 08, 2017, 10:58:33 pm »
Like it has kept us out anyway? Well nice to see the little Saturday scopes will have longer warranty. I am just wondering do the scopes come up with that digital RS232 & CAN etc options as well.

My understanding is that they don't come with decoding. But last year some people asked nicely after they got their scope...

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2017, 04:14:17 am »
FYI, this isn't the entire list (the # of names is too small).

Seems that not only did I somehow dodge that bullet, but I didn't get an email at all...  :-//

Confirmed.
Even though I registered for the reminders and I received a reminder last week, I didn't get one this week.
So it seems I've missed my chance for this week, what a joke.

Offline Chig

• Contributor
« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2017, 06:51:21 am »
Yeah, i got a reminder last week, but not this week. Wrongly assumed the question would be up on the same day as it was last week... Sigh.

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2017, 06:59:14 am »
Wrongly assumed the question would be up on the same day as it was last week... Sigh.
Same, was thinking I might be in for some Birthday luck on Friday... but no.

Offline ollihd

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2017, 11:18:25 am »
Question: I just realized that my form filler (Last Pass) fills the "country if other" field automatically. My country (Finland) is eligible for the competition, but do you filter out submissions that have filled something in the "country if other" -field or just submissions that have selected other from the country-dropdown?

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2017, 12:30:57 am »
We'll generally check with you what your country of residence is if your name is pulled, so you should be fine.

Offline renster

« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2017, 12:33:45 am »
Wrongly assumed the question would be up on the same day as it was last week... Sigh.
Same, was thinking I might be in for some Birthday luck on Friday... but no.

Yep, same here. Was waiting for the reminder email.....

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2017, 03:53:41 pm »

FYI, after the, uh, incident there won't be any more reminder e-mails for the Australia contest.

Offline dentaku

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #185 on: March 11, 2017, 03:45:03 am »
Have any of you forum members been picked yet?
I was picked 3 days ago and got an e-mail from Keysight the next day with some documents to fill out but I'm not really sure what to do with them. The instructions for the form from the IRS are full of incredible legal mumbo jumbo but I'm pretty sure I got it right and see which parts are important and actually apply to me. :)

I emailed them with questions but haven't heard anything back yet so I'm wondering if any of you people have gone through this process and if so, did you fill out everything but the places that needed signatures, printed it, signed it by hand, scanned it and e-mailed it back?
They don't give a mailing address in the e-mail so I'm assuming this is the only way to do it.  :-//

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #186 on: March 11, 2017, 03:53:32 am »
See posts from FireFlower above. Might be worth sending him/her a PM.

Edit: Oh, and congrats! Please send some of your incredible luck my way, preferably on a Friday for a 4000X ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:58:00 am by MrBungle »

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #187 on: March 11, 2017, 06:37:43 am »

Edit: Oh, and congrats! Please send some of your incredible luck my way, preferably on a Friday for a 4000X ;)
The Australian contest which you were entering a) isn't on Friday, and b) is only for 1000x scopes yes?

Offline FireFlower

• Regular Contributor
  • Wish had a cabin in Lappland
« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2017, 11:41:51 am »
I was picked 3 days ago and got an e-mail from Keysight the next day with some documents to fill out but I'm not really sure what to do with them. The instructions for the form from the IRS are full of incredible legal mumbo jumbo but I'm pretty sure I got it right and see which parts are important and actually apply to me. :)

I emailed them with questions but haven't heard anything back yet so I'm wondering if any of you people have gone through this process and if so, did you fill out everything but the places that needed signatures, printed it, signed it by hand, scanned it and e-mailed it back?
They don't give a mailing address in the e-mail so I'm assuming this is the only way to do it.  :-//

Basically you fill the forms, print them, hand sign & scan them / photograph, reduce size a bit if needed, and email them back where they came from.
How to fill the form, you might want to see: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/contests/scope-month-2017-megathread/msg1154122/#msg1154122
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:47:12 am by FireFlower »

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #189 on: March 11, 2017, 09:58:06 pm »

The Australian contest which you were entering a) isn't on Friday, and b) is only for 1000x scopes yes?

Dates and times are online, and it's for 1000X scopes.

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2017, 03:54:14 am »
The Australian one, yes.
10 points and a gold star to you for stating the obvious.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2017, 08:16:19 am »
The Australian one, yes.
10 points and a gold star to you for stating the obvious.

Friday..
4000X..
Your words not mine.

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2017, 03:25:04 pm »
 :palm:
(Hint: You asked about the Australian contest.)

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2017, 09:48:49 pm »
:palm:
(Hint: You asked about the Australian contest.)
So why do you want some luck for a contest you cannot win? Seems pointless.

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #194 on: March 13, 2017, 04:23:59 am »
You're making assumptions. All this tediousness could have been avoided if you'd just asked the right question in the first place rather than trying to be clever.

It is legitimately possible to be eligible for, and entered in, both contests.
I'll leave it to you to figure it out. (Keysight tell you how to do it, in a rather ambiguous way, on their Scope Month page)

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2017, 05:17:46 am »
You're making assumptions. All this tediousness could have been avoided if you'd just asked the right question in the first place rather than trying to be clever.

It is legitimately possible to be eligible for, and entered in, both contests.
I'll leave it to you to figure it out. (Keysight tell you how to do it, in a rather ambiguous way, on their Scope Month page)
They're pretty clear on the requirements:

For the Australian competition:
Quote from: keysight
This promotion is limited to legal residents within Australia

For the main competition:
Quote from: keysight
This promotion is limited to specific countries and is only open to entrants aged 18 years or older at the time of submission who are legal residents of, and physically located within Austria, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Poland, South Africa, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States (excluding Florida, New York, and Rhode Island), and Venezuela.

So you're somehow within two countries simultaneously? Or trying to game the system and get entires to which you're not entitled to, seems pretty low when they made such an effort to include Australians with their own special contest.

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2017, 05:59:54 am »
So you're somehow within two countries simultaneously?
Effectively, yes.

I'm not 'gaming the system'. There is nothing in the T&C's that states that one cannot enter their competition via a proxy.
If you have a friend or family member that is a 'legal resident and physically located in' an eligible country, that is willing to accept the Keysight T&C's and enter on your behalf, go for it  :-+

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2017, 10:49:12 am »
Technically - no.

You aren't entering in two competitions.  You are entering one and the friend or family member is entering the other.  The fact that the friend/family member is willing to hand over the prize (if they win one) is quite a separate matter.

It does, however, explain your previous expression of interest in having some luck drift your way.

In that, I wish you all the luck for the main giveaway - but I'll hold on to as much as I can for the Australian competition.

Offline Future soldier

« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2017, 06:48:37 pm »
www.scopemonth.com

Lay it on me. Questions, comments, angry venting, etc. :)

-Daniel

Edits & FAQs:

1. "Why isn't country XYZ included?" - I really wish we could include every country on the planet, but in order to comply with local laws & regulations we simply cannot. We work with our legal team to make sure we include as many countries as possible while remaining compliant.

2. Unlike cyber week, you do NOT have to be affiliated with a company.

Can anyone tell me why INDIA was included in 2016 scope month but not in 2017 ,i was trying my luck this year untill i saw the country list terms and condition  :-[ |O
i know law issues and stuff bt shouldnt it also be  a part of 2017 like in 2017 

link to 2016 scope month terms and condition :-- http://www.keysight.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/Rules-Scope-Month-Giveaway-Jan26-2016.pdf
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:53:23 pm by Future soldier »

Offline Chig

• Contributor
« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2017, 11:37:16 pm »

FYI, after the, uh, incident there won't be any more reminder e-mails for the Australia contest.

Good to know... a day after not seeing an email! (my fault, of course...)

But seriously, who holds competitions on a Tuesday? It is literally the busiest day of the week. That's 3 i've missed now! (i'll take the blame for the first...)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf