Author Topic: Wave 2018 (formerly Scope Month)  (Read 50822 times)

Offline CNe7532294

• Regular Contributor
Re: Wave 2018 (formerly Scope Month)
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2018, 01:23:15 pm »
Thanks for this.  Its awesome!!!  That RF bundle would be just insanely good, but the bench kit woudl be wonderful as well.    I've just started working with RF projects doing Internet of thigns and cellular stuff.

Agreed. Like other posts at first, the decision to condense the time for the event (2 weeks) and the smaller prize pool was kind of a shock but there is some logic to it besides the nightmare of managing this event (finances, legal, logistics). Think of this.

The entire goal of this event is to invest in the future of the industry. I can also see why RF awareness is "call to action" in this year contest. I'm not sure if this is the case in Australia, Denmark, Great Britain or anywhere else in the world but here in the US there seems to be a shortage of RF and Microwave Engineers due to lack of awareness.

Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics and their Occupation Outlook Handbook
https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes172071.htm
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/electrical-and-electronics-engineers.htm
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/installation-maintenance-and-repair/telecommunications-equipment-installers-and-repairers-except-line-installers.htm#tab-8
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/media-and-communication/broadcast-and-sound-engineering-technicians.htm
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/a-z-index.htm#R

I tried searching for anything Radio and Engineer and I just couldn't find anything but you find a lot of openings in any telecomms company (Bell for example). The world itself is in dire need of RF Engineers because it goes well beyond just broadcasting and telecommunications in the sources above. Nowadays we have WiFi and Bluetooth powering the internet and devices. Software Defined Radio is great but I believe it puts too much emphasis on coding and general electronics. Not that those are a bad thing, you will need those too, but there seems to be no spotlight on the RF design portion of how SDR works besides just theory.

I reckon that someone in the RF dept. made a strong case with this. In which case, good on them and thank you. Hopefully RF will be included next year as well.  :-+

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2018, 03:18:49 pm »
I must say the packages on offer will provide a significant boost to the winners.

I'm looking at the RF package with hungry eyes - but I am torn between that and the bench bundle which will see far more service in my current endeavours.  However, I daresay I am quite unlikely to have to make that choice.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2018, 03:49:19 pm »
To honored mr Bogdanoff!

There is a probable workaround for Keysight regarding some Scandinavian and other Eu countries exclusion, if Keysight register a gambling company in Malta and run the competition as a subsidiary from there the excluded countries can enter. This is how all the gambling companies round the State monopoly gambling rules.

Of course im not trying to suggest that Keysight do anything unlawful in Malta, oh no, no way, just saying legally bending mid eval constructed rules of contest excluded countries is what all multinational companies do all the time.... sort of... ;) :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 03:53:03 pm by MT »

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2018, 04:43:48 pm »
I originally signed up using my phone but couldn't look at app notes collection so signed up using PC, couldn't find a way to just look at notes, and got another confirmation email for entering. In the unlikely chance I win, is this going to be looked at as gaming the system? I used same e-mail, phone number, address, name. Just checked my phone and it has the get daily entry but I already did it on my PC.

Offline wblackledg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2018, 06:04:09 pm »
Thanks, I'll take the cheapo model..  :-DD

Offline FrankE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2018, 07:23:04 pm »
Hi Daniel!

Thanks for the latest ScopeMonth comp, sorry Wave 2018. :palm:

Can I ask why you don't use UT/GMT times for your competitions, etc (sorry to burst your bubble but the US is NOT the whole world :scared:) as it would be simpler for non-US participants to know what time it is in their part of the world instead of trying to work out where your 'Mountain Standard' time zone is in relation to their own?

Cheers.

When I entered the times into my calendar for reminders I put them in as Mountain Time.
Ta-da! My calendar programmes list the entries in my calendar and alarms in local time, even sorting out the change to daylight savings time in Keysight's local time on March 11th (or 11th of March if you prefer).

The entry page gives reset time in UTC(zulu)

"Daily entry resets at 08:01:00 UTC"

The following users thanked this post: MarvinTheMartian

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2018, 07:46:51 pm »
I haven't got any confirmation emails. I don't think that's a problem. I didn't get any from the "Power up your Bench" contest either and then won a PSU.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2018, 06:25:47 am »
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

A couple comments:

1. We did weekend updates the first year and that was pretty rough for us as a small team, so we generally try to run the event just on weekdays. This includes the daily challenge question. It obviously does not include responding to forum questions :)

2. E-mail confirmations/entry confirmation: There were a couple ways to accidentally get multiple confirmation e-mails, but this doesn't show up as multiple entries in the system. The system we're using is pretty smart, so really the only way you could end up with multiple entries is if you are intentionally gaming the system with multiple sets of information. If you're unsure whether your entry went through, you can clear cookies and try again with the same e-mail. Also, if you see the "get daily entry" button, it means you can get an entry for that day. Going to the page from a device without the cookie and filling out the form again will yield the same result.

Also, the entry confirmation is a new thing for us this year, so there is certainly some streamlining we can do for future events.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2018, 03:25:03 pm »
The daily entry button is a great and welcome added feature. Thanks for implementing this!
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Online _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2018, 04:21:51 pm »
Belgium is included in the Wave 2018 - Test to Impress Contest.
You took feedback, and made multiple ways to get a price, basically allowing more countries to enter. Huge respect.

Where do you see Belgium is included? It seems we are not unfortunately. A shame beasue those are indeed really nice bundles!

I posted first in Dave post about Keysight wave, but removed my post there after I seen it was to enter to win a dumpster scope (which I do not really need), but would very much like to enter for a bundle  8)

Edit: ok, I see, we can enter the "test to impress"-contest, but not the lotery...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:02:59 pm by _Wim_ »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2018, 10:06:31 pm »
I've noticed you can enter with countries not listed in the eligible countries list. Does that mean those entries are trashed? Do you get informed when you try to enter with non eligible details?

Offline JackM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2018, 10:18:10 pm »
Everything appears to be much more streamlined with many improvements compared to last year. Not to mention the huge prize packs, nice!  :clap:

I'll try not to get my hopes up because I know the chances are low, but I still catch myself dreaming about winning someday.

Offline alpher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2018, 10:32:39 pm »
One way or another.

Offline Araho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2018, 10:44:15 pm »
Read this line from Dave's video about the announcement: "The total approximate retail value of the prizes is a maximum of $536,682"  :o

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2018, 10:47:28 pm »
Read this line from Dave's video about the announcement: "The total approximate retail value of the prizes is a maximum of $536,682"  :o
Retail value versus actual cost makes it interesting if you're the manufacturer :)

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2018, 03:19:07 am »
When I entered the times into my calendar for reminders I put them in as Mountain Time.
Ta-da! My calendar programmes list the entries in my calendar and alarms in local time, even sorting out the change to daylight savings time in Keysight's local time on March 11th (or 11th of March if you prefer).

Good tip! Thanks.  :-+
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2018, 06:58:39 am »
I've noticed you can enter with countries not listed in the eligible countries list. Does that mean those entries are trashed? Do you get informed when you try to enter with non eligible details?

This was discussed a lot internally, and it was decided by the powers that be that the better experience for people is to not notify them if they sign up using a country that's not eligible. It does still give them access to the Wave library & challenge questions that they wouldn't get otherwise. Our goal is to make this an event that's interesting, educational, and fun regardless of the giveaways. We're also going to keep doing giveaways, of course :).

Offline ali_asadzadeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2018, 07:26:24 am »
I will cross my fingers :) ;)
ASiDesigner, Stands for Application specific intelligent devices
I'm a Digital Expert from 8-bits to 64-bits

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2018, 07:42:05 am »
This was discussed a lot internally, and it was decided by the powers that be that the better experience for people is to not notify them if they sign up using a country that's not eligible. It does still give them access to the Wave library & challenge questions that they wouldn't get otherwise. Our goal is to make this an event that's interesting, educational, and fun regardless of the giveaways. We're also going to keep doing giveaways, of course :).
I understand there is an interest on the Keysight side to harvest data of interested people, but not informing them that their actions are futile doesn't seem to be the way to go. I understand that's not your call, but it's a bit of a smoke and mirrors trick.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2018, 08:20:04 am »
I understand there is an interest on the Keysight side to harvest data of interested people, but not informing them that their actions are futile doesn't seem to be the way to go. I understand that's not your call, but it's a bit of a smoke and mirrors trick.

I'm inclined to agree.  To hide the futility of their competition entry is dishonest.  Sorry.

I know it's going to take a little more coding for the entry page, but I would consider it much more ethical to advise them they aren't eligible - but by entering their information, they have access to the resources on offer.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2018, 10:25:03 am »
Just saw on farnell ITALY a banner for Wave 2018 that lands here https://www.wavekeysight.com/landing/?cmpid=PremiereFarnell

So we can partecipate?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2018, 10:27:44 am »
Just saw on farnell ITALY a banner for Wave 2018 that lands here https://www.wavekeysight.com/landing/?cmpid=PremiereFarnell

So we can partecipate?
You can, but you don't have any chance to win anything. Italy isn't eligible for any of the contest variants.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2018, 01:28:13 pm »
Yep, that's what ToC says. but then again farnell is inviting me to partecipate..

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2018, 02:30:56 pm »
Yep, that's what ToC says. but then again farnell is inviting me to partecipate..
See the previous discussion. Apparently it's "to give them access to the Wave library & challenge questions that they wouldn't get otherwise".

The following users thanked this post: JPortici

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2018, 10:54:19 pm »

We could see in the live-streams the drawings of the first and the third winner.

Who is the second winner???   :-//

Have I missed something? Is it possible to see the daily drawing? Or will the daily winner somewhere published?

Where???     :-//

BTW: The confirmation mails working fine now. At least mine.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf