Author Topic: Wave 2019 - Over 100 Prizes worth <$375k  (Read 36863 times)

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
Wave 2019 - Over 100 Prizes worth <$375k
« on: January 14, 2019, 10:58:14 pm »

The following users thanked this post: wraper, thm_w, tsman, ttelectronic

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: Wave 2019 - Over 100 Prizes worth <$375k
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 11:39:34 pm »
Thanks for this giveaway. But I'm wondering why this year you still can select any country when it's only a limited number of countries for which giveaway actually works (hidden it terms and conditions)?

The following users thanked this post: apis

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 11:41:55 pm »
Thanks for this giveaway. But I'm wondering why this year you still can select any country when it's only a limited number of countries for which giveaway actually works (hidden it terms and conditions)?

I'm wondering why you are complaining.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 11:50:21 pm »

Maybe because it does not work for me. And entering is just a waste of time even though it says I'm in.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 11:57:26 pm »

Maybe because it does not work for me. And entering is just a waste of time even though it says I'm in.

Be glad you dont' live in UK or USA.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 11:59:17 pm »
Living in UK or US is way better regardless of what you meant by that.

Offline dr_chernobyl

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 12:07:37 am »
I would love to live in the USA, so much sources of cheap test equipment and electronics in general, in my country you cant get any second hand test equipment because it just isnt developed enough

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 12:11:54 am »
@wraper

It's honestly for marketing purposes. We have a few different Wave pages based on country/region, so it made since to use a full list instead of just a giveaway-eligible list of countries.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 12:14:33 am »
Weird conditions...

In accordance with local laws, if the selected entrant is a Canadian or South African resident, that entrant will be required to answer a mathematical skill-testing question, without assistance of any kind (whether mechanical or otherwise), within the time frame provided above
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 12:16:50 am »

Guess why the previous Grand prize winner sold his msox6004a to me for peanuts? He couldn't afford the tax!

BTW, China was on the list the last year, but not this year. But this year the permanent resident requirement was changed to legal residents, so being legal resident alien in US, I'm in.

Hope I can grab that ADS license.

Karma, or what ever your equivalent life force will work to ensure that you dont' win.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 12:18:33 am »
Weird conditions...

In accordance with local laws, if the selected entrant is a Canadian or South African resident, that entrant will be required to answer a mathematical skill-testing question, without assistance of any kind (whether mechanical or otherwise), within the time frame provided above
Not really. Adding an element of skill is often done when the legal requirements for pure chance based draws are prohibitive. By adding skill into the equation often in the form of a trivial task or question, the stringent requirements are avoided.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 12:19:50 am »
I meant it sounds like the questions are only for people in Canada and South Africa. Then again, maybe I'm misreading this.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 12:23:42 am »
So is there a common agreement (which I'm not aware of) that people from Canada and South Africa are potentially less qualified to win Keysight equipment?

Offline dr_chernobyl

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 12:23:58 am »
country list is really laughable, many 1st world countries are not included, I dont understand why can you do the giveaway in Venezuela but not in Croatia  :-//

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 12:24:24 am »

Guess why the previous Grand prize winner sold his msox6004a to me for peanuts? He couldn't afford the tax!

BTW, China was on the list the last year, but not this year. But this year the permanent resident requirement was changed to legal residents, so being legal resident alien in US, I'm in.

Hope I can grab that ADS license.
I don't think that I would get it here tax free. In any case I'm able to afford taxes.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 12:29:10 am »
Its a very short list of countrys, and i'm only on the B list, which has a much smaller list of lower value prizes..  It is what it is.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 12:32:44 am »
I think the quiz/test thing is to prevent bots from winning or something like that, but I let the lawyers figure out all that stuff! It has to do with the local laws and isn't us making those rules.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 12:34:26 am »
Also, China is included but is running everything through WeChat

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 12:35:05 am »
I meant it sounds like the questions are only for people in Canada and South Africa. Then again, maybe I'm misreading this.
It is. They've got laws against contest which are pure chance. The question is a loophole since it adds a tiny element of skill. Look at http://www.mardenkane.com/articles/implications-running-sweepstakes-contest-quebec.html

country list is really laughable, many 1st world countries are not included, I dont understand why can you do the giveaway in Venezuela but not in Croatia  :-//
Every country has a huge pile of laws and regulations for running sweepstakes. Some require an element of "skill" such as the question. Some require you to put a certain amount of money into escrow. Some forbid you from running a contest unless you have a local business presence. Go look at http://www.mardenkane.com/articles/international-sweepstakes-contest-laws-may-cause-problems.html for some of the headaches you'll have if you wanted to run your own contest.

It isn't just a case of somebody sitting down and randomly picking countries out of a hat. They'll weigh up how big their market is in that country and how onerous the requirements are for running a contest there.

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff, Mr. Scram

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 12:35:28 am »
In any case I'm able to afford taxes.
I'd be glad to pay the tax for a price like a 1Ghz scope but to pay the tax for e.g. a $1000 (or whatever) BenchVue license that I can't really use (and most probably can't really sell either) would be more of a loss than a win.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 12:39:01 am »
Yes, because those places probably place more stringent demands on games of pure chance. Hence adding the element of skill in those places. You'd be surprised how complicated organising a raffle can be in just one country. Games of pure chance are in some places seen as a form of gambling, which is often very heavily regulated.

Note that these don't tend to be questions of much actual skill. Just answering what 5+3 is means having an element of skill from the legal perspective, which circumvents much more stringent conditions on pure raffles.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:48:18 am by Mr. Scram »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 12:40:16 am »
In any case I'm able to afford taxes.
I'd be glad to pay the tax for a price like a 1Ghz scope but to pay the tax for e.g. a $1000 (or whatever) BenchVue license that I can't really use (and most probably can't really sell either) would be more of a loss than a win.
I guess you could ask them to not include licence. IIRC they changed prizes to something cheaper to those who could not afford taxes.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 12:43:07 am »
Also, China is included but is running everything through WeChat

Interesting. Altium is doing the same thing. All their free training and other licensee's welfare are delivered and coordinated over WeChat instead of their official website.
We do a lot of things through China-specific websites as well - tired of censorship BS.

Every year there are gobs of complaints about rules and countries. :popcorn:
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 12:43:39 am »
As a side note, I find it highly problematic that these giveaways/sweepstakes ask you for your company. Now letting aside that my company tends to change its names every few years, I don't want to win a price for my company for sure. They already devour my soul so why would I win prices for them? Yet stating my company somehow sounds like it's not my price but theirs and not stating it feels like I'm unemployed.
I mean, I can understand the question from a "data kraken" point of view - i just don't like it.

The following users thanked this post: MT, FrankE

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 12:51:37 am »
As a side note, I find it highly problematic that these giveaways/sweepstakes ask you for your company. Now letting aside that my company tends to change its names every few years, I don't want to win a price for my company for sure. They already devour my soul so why would I win prices for them? Yet stating my company somehow sounds like it's not my price but theirs and not stating it feels like I'm unemployed.
I mean, I can understand the question from a "data kraken" point of view - i just don't like it.

Company = EEVBLOG. :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf