Author Topic: 30 second recharging Rechargeable Battery  (Read 118278 times)

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: 30 second recharging Rechargeable Battery
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2014, 09:37:50 pm »
I really hope that "Lee Aerospace of Kansas " doesn't make any passenger airplane parts if their engineer are of this calibre....

Luckily he isn't an engineer there... His title is "Materials Support - Receiving." AKA, the guy that works in the mailroom...

Aerospace replacement parts, if in the bad hands, are a risky business:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:07:59 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline BigDogGuru

« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2014, 07:42:58 pm »

Funded for nearly 2 months and no updates in 6 weeks.

Speaking of which, what's internet access like in the Caribbean Islands?

I'm still sort of fence sitting on whether its either a scampaign or a case of overestimation, but the bio isn't helping much (bold emphasis mine):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shawnpwest/30-second-charging-rechargeable-battery/creator_bio

Based on what we have seen so far I have difficulty believing that he is an electrical engineer in the usual sense of the word.

And because of that, the spiel about trust makes me suspicious.

After reexamining the bio page, which seems to indicate the individual known as "Shawn West" last logged on August 26, 2014, which coincides with the "Update #15, Finally (Final) an Update - For Backers Only,"  I'm leaning towards a blatant intentional scam.

The old adage, "If it is too good to be true, then it probably is!" seems appropriate, a bit of the White Van Scam for the Internet Age.

I seriously doubt whether any of the backers will ever hear from "Shawn West" again.

Offline Jay_Diddy_BTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2014, 12:42:23 pm »
Hi,
Here is the latest comment from the Kickstarter website:

It does not look good for this project.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:45:37 pm by Jay_Diddy_B »

Offline electrophiliate

• Regular Contributor
  • Eternal Novice
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2014, 06:58:41 am »
The latest comments on Kickstarter are a very bad sign. It always seemed too good to be true: cutting edge technology being delivered from an amateurish workshop, by someone who seemed to have trouble grasping the relevant basics, despite claiming to be an experienced electrical engineer who we can trust. I was previously undecided on whether it was a scampaign or overestimation, but the bio page in context made me more doubtful, and the latest comments on Kickstarter strongly suggest it was an outright scam.

Reminds me of South Park's recent episode about Kickstarter projects and startup companies which don't do anything:

In the (increasingly unlikely) event that he was sincere and has realized the project cannot be completed as promised ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/accountability-on-kickstarter

What should creators do if they're having problems completing their project?

If problems come up, creators are expected to post a Project Update (which is emailed to all backers) explaining the situation. Sharing the story, speed bumps and all, is crucial. Most backers support projects because they want to see something happen and they'd like to be a part of it. Creators who are honest and transparent will usually find backers to be understanding.

It's not uncommon for things to take longer than expected. Sometimes the execution of the project proves more difficult than the creator had anticipated. If a creator is making a good faith effort to complete their project and is transparent about it, backers should do their best to be patient and understanding while demanding continued accountability from the creator.

If the problems are severe enough that the creator can't fulfill their project, creators need to find a resolution. Steps could include offering refunds, detailing exactly how funds were used, and other actions to satisfy backers.

Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?

Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) We crafted these terms to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill.

Can Kickstarter refund the money if a project is unable to fulfill?

No. Kickstarter doesn't issue refunds, as transactions are between backers and the creator. In fact, Kickstarter never has the funds at all. When a project is successfully funded, money is transferred directly from backers' credit cards to the project creator's Amazon Payments account. It's up to the creator to issue a refund, which they can do through their Amazon Payments account. (Like PayPal, Amazon Payments allows refunds for 60 days from the date of charge. After 60 days, creators cannot reverse the same charge to backers' credit cards, so to issue refunds they'll need to initiate a new transaction to send money via Amazon Payments or PayPal, send backers a check, or use another method. Our support team has guided creators in how to issue refunds like these before.)
Nothing is quite like a great humming power-station.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2014, 08:25:43 am »
What is his phone number? Others should call him up and ask.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2014, 09:53:26 am »
If the problems are severe enough that the creator can't fulfill their project, creators need to find a resolution. Steps could include offering refunds, detailing exactly how funds were used, and other actions to satisfy backers.

I take it "Sorry, I didn't know this boat would cost this much" is a valid reason.  :-DD

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2014, 11:00:00 am »
Did you miss the part where he hangs up on you. And doesn't return any calls?  Do you have any suggestions for an opening line that will engage him in dialog?

IMHO, this is simply just another case of a a wanna-be dilletente who doesn't perceive what he doesn't know proposing an impossible project. He isn't the first and won't be the last. It is the reaction of all the "supports and backers" (or perhaps "blind believers") that appears more entertaining to me.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2014, 12:05:47 pm »
I was previously undecided on whether it was a scampaign or overestimation, but the bio page in context made me more doubtful, and the latest comments on Kickstarter strongly suggest it was an outright scam.

HOW? EVERYONE with a clue knew from the start, there was even a big post on hackaday, this campaign started with lies, how can you expect anything other than a scam from a person that starts conversation by lying to your face?

https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/accountability-on-kickstarter

this is hilarious, thosea are all NON LEGALLY BINDING SUGGESTIONS

You would be more successful calling up his Mom, or employer.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline cloudscapes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2014, 01:14:00 pm »
If he put up his legit phone number, then I don't think there was any malicious scam. More like cluelessness in what he was diving into, and now just dropping it as reality sinks in.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2014, 05:34:24 pm »
I think just because people shouldn't be able to get away with this.

If he suddenly realises that he's unable to continue with this, he must issue refunds as soon as possible from whatever funds remain. (Even a 90% refund would probably be good enough for most backers.)

It's ridiculous that so many hardware kickstarters end with nothing delivered, empty promises, etc. It's the modern day swindle.

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2014, 05:08:01 am »
Don't know if this has been pointed out yet:

http://www.kansas.com/news/business/article1118749.html

About 1/2 way down.  Do a search for "west"
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Offline marcan

• Regular Contributor
  • If it ain't broke I'll fix it anyway.
    • My blog
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2014, 06:45:59 am »
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/operation-baby

Looks like he tried to crowdfund his child before trying for magical batteries...

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2014, 05:44:11 pm »
And still has no concept of a spellchecker... "hematoma on the placenta, the dotor has recommended"
Whatever a dotor is...
Sir you are a scam artist, in as much as my nose can tell me.

Looks like he tried to crowdfund his child before trying for magical batteries...
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2014, 11:21:44 pm »
So how do you PROVE to a judge and/or jury that he "had no intention".
His prose and photos fooled even "experts" in THIS forum.  Good luck with that!   :palm:

He may have thought himself to be quite sinscere. He may have some mental problem.

When was the last time ANYBODY produced a product or a process that "broke the laws of physics"?

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2014, 11:22:03 pm »

$1500?! Man, coat hangers are practically free!

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2014, 11:29:54 pm »

$1500?! Man, coat hangers are practically free!

Sent from my Smartphone

Funny...

Raw, but funny nonetheless... :)  :-+
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2014, 11:45:59 pm »
Of course it has not been hard for anyone in the past decade and people have not lost their homes and savings and struggled. For those unaffected is a bit cruel to even indicate that someone that was affected and had to consolidate not to loose their home are up to no good.

If my company shutdown and I was unemployed for say a couple of years, I would have to sell my home to avoid paying the mortgage that I couldn't afford on odd jobs or minimum wage, but since no one could sell their house because of all the ones foreclosing brought the price down to less than what you owe on the home and once you consolidate you can't even qualify for food stamps because your car that you can't sell because it's under the trustee is too new so even if you paid very high taxes in the past you can't get a break. And on top of that if you have a kid for whatever reason you are supposed to do  home abortion?

You don't know him and neither do I, so I have no idea why he went into debt, but the situation above has happened to many in the US. Stuck with high payments and going into the abyss. It was never about living above one means it's that the means went away for a lot of people. The fact that he did a consolidation bankruptcy will tell you that at least he was willing to fight instead of giving up

So that joke is not only cruel but of pretty bad taste.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2014, 01:02:07 am »
Of course it has not been hard for anyone in the past decade and people have not lost their homes and savings and struggled. For those unaffected is a bit cruel to even indicate that someone that was affected and had to consolidate not to loose their home are up to no good.

If my company shutdown and I was unemployed for say a couple of years, I would have to sell my home to avoid paying the mortgage that I couldn't afford on odd jobs or minimum wage, but since no one could sell their house because of all the ones foreclosing brought the price down to less than what you owe on the home and once you consolidate you can't even qualify for food stamps because your car that you can't sell because it's under the trustee is too new so even if you paid very high taxes in the past you can't get a break. And on top of that if you have a kid for whatever reason you are supposed to do  home abortion?

You don't know him and neither do I, so I have no idea why he went into debt, but the situation above has happened to many in the US. Stuck with high payments and going into the abyss. It was never about living above one means it's that the means went away for a lot of people. The fact that he did a consolidation bankruptcy will tell you that at least he was willing to fight instead of giving up

So that joke is not only cruel but of pretty bad taste.

Thanks for over analyzing a stupid joke.

The counter to your dumb argument is that if you’re unemployed, in debt and in risk of losing your house, it’s irresponsible to have a baby when you obviously can’t support it. Birth control is free so there’s really no excuse.

At any rate, he is employed at some aerospace company, isn’t he? Either way, it doesn’t really matter. It was a joke. You obviously don’t have a black sense of humor.

That’s all I’m going to say on the matter.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2014, 01:36:34 am »
I strongly agree with mguelvp, I don't know the guy, I gave him $5 and I hold him no malice at all.

If you really care that strongly about your $30 (or however much it was) stop reading this and spend your time trying to get it back through a credit card charge-back. Maybe you will have success, maybe not. But what use is groaning on here?

Let's get it straight when you back a Kickstarter project you aren't an "investor" - you do not 'own' any part of the project or its creator. You have pre-ordered a product based on what is at best a video of a demo of a prototype. If they fail to deliver your rewards, then in a perfect world you should get your money back, but we all know that the world isn't perfect and you can kiss that money goodbye. At best you are an unsecured creditor, usually for a sum of money that it isn't worth chasing for.

Maybe others here feel the need to moan, phoning and demanding their money, or Google-stalk a project's creator because you want retribution for them making them feel foolish or stupid or something. Well, if you want to look like an real arse over a few dollars then go for it. Heck, if you care that much, spend real money and get an expensive lawyer to get you $30 back - and maybe it really will make you feel that much better.

I however have a more soul-uplifting view of Kickstarter. When I back a project on Kickstarter I like to think that am helping somebody have a go at realising one of their personal dreams. Sure, odds are that they may fail, or they might fall a little short, but at least they are willing to attempt it, and I am happy to spend a little of my pocket money to support them. If I get a product at the end of this then I am doubly happy - I helped somebody follow their dream and they made it happen!

So I might have not used my Parallella board much, or that Arduino Proto-shield much, and you may have a uCurrent sitting in a draw doing nothing. But I am sure that Andreas, Max & Duane and Dave really appreciate the fact that you helped to make it happen.

The people I can't understand is those who didn't back the project, and then still want to be involved - you know, the "see, I told you it was impossible" types. I am sure that most, if not all, of the backers understood that at the time of signing up. We are not all dumb or ill-informed people, we just wanted to see what happens - a bit of real life drama, watching people who can dream bigger dreams than us.
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline marcan

• Regular Contributor
  • If it ain't broke I'll fix it anyway.
    • My blog
« Reply #144 on: October 14, 2014, 02:26:45 am »
Maybe others here feel the need to moan, phoning and demanding their money, or Google-stalk a project's creator because you want retribution for them making them feel foolish or stupid or something.
I'm not even a backer; the "Google-stalking" as you call it was an attempt to figure out if this guy was serious to begin with, or if there was evidence of him being a scam artist in the past.

Judging by the bankruptcy and the baby crowdfunding, I'd say either he's deluded / has mental issues (thinking he could deliver on all of this nonsense when it's clear he can't; possibly triggered/worsened by being in a crappy life situation), or irresponsible and a deliberate scammer (having a child while clearly not being able to support it, then deliberately running a phony kickstarter campaign to make up some emergency cash).

I understand that Kickstarter is not an investment platform and it's not an online shop; I have no problem with projects coming down crashing because of unforeseen issues. However, I have very little tolerance for BS; although, were I a backer, I wouldn't chase back my $30. I did back a failed KS - iControlPad2 - which also failed under very dubious circumstances and which I later learned was half-run by a guy with a history of irresponsibility. I consider it a trivial loss as far as the cash, but I'm still curious about the circumstances that caused the failure (and it seems gross mismanagement and/or deliberate embezzlement by that guy was part of it). Kind of a similar story to OpenVizsla, except for the latter bushing managed to pull ahead, save the project, and deliver three years later, which deserves a lot of praise.

There's a difference between running a KS where you made a concerted effort to deliver but failed, running a KS where you never had a chance and you should've known, and running a KS where you never intended to deliver. This guy is in either of the two latter categories, and I'm leaning towards #3.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: October 14, 2014, 06:30:32 am »
You have pre-ordered a product...

no you didn't , you donated some money to support a project and the author promised you a reward in return.
there is no pre-ordering of a product... there is just "supporting a project" - that's what is crowd funding all about.

Offline extide

• Regular Contributor
    • Rovitracker - Rental management AND Real-Time data!
« Reply #146 on: October 14, 2014, 09:34:44 pm »
Don't know if this has been pointed out yet:

http://www.kansas.com/news/business/article1118749.html

About 1/2 way down.  Do a search for "west"

WOW, he banko'd $400K !! That's a shitload!

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2014, 08:55:12 am »
How does someone get into $392k of debt?
Is that like not paying a card off for 20+ years?

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2014, 09:20:44 am »
In the US it's pretty easy. Don't have health insurance, get sick.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2014, 09:36:37 am »
How does someone get into $392k of debt?
Is that like not paying a card off for 20+ years?

easily ... house, car, credit cards...  apparently he was taking more loans than he should, but he still have some income (he bankrupted under chapter 13 - kept his properties but have to pay the debt)

btw.. i bet the crowd funding campaign funds are not considered as his income and therefore he can use the money for anything. so it looks like intentional scam...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf