Author Topic: Watch  (Read 1946 times)

Offline vidarrTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Watch
« on: July 29, 2019, 03:57:26 pm »
I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but I am looking for a partner(s) for a possible crowd funded project. This is not a request for funding. I do not need money. I have enough money to fund the project and make a few hundred prototypes, but I do not have the money to hire a partner.

So far, I have a partially working prototype for a watch (or small, standalone device) using an ESP32 dev board with Bluetooth, WiFi, LoRa (not necessary, but interesting) attached to a SIM800 board. So, the device has all the connections that a standard mobile phone has.

The idea branched out of a device I was making that was a firewall between my mobile and the carrier network. The ESP32 device has a web page that you connect to using WiFi from your mobile. From there, you manage your connections to the network. For example, to place a call, you use your phone, but you dial through the web interface and the call goes out through the ESP32/SIM800, not your phone's SIM. All the data connections, like whatsapp, web browsers, etc, would go through the wifi of the ESP32 (acting as a router), which would be running some type of iptables. The device was really just for me and maybe some friends.

Then, while browsing around investigating crowd funded projects, I saw the demand for "smart watches" and thought it would not be too difficult to make this device into a watch (and forget about the firewall aspect). I saw the last, promising, "smart watch" venture completely failed in execution -- the guy bought himself a Lamborghini (or Ferrari?) and then skimped on the production costs and the watch was a cheap failure. It seems like the Apple watch is the only decent device right now. I am not a watch person, so maybe there are some others. In any case, the demand is there for this type of watch.

So, I am looking for someone who thinks this is interesting and would like to become a partner. Someone who can code better than me and also able to wait until after the devices are successfully produced and sold to buy a Lamborghini (or Ferrari). If you may be interested in working with me feel free to message me and I will fill you in on all the details. 

V

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Watch
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 04:02:22 pm »
if you have an (ultra)-low-power GPS/GNSS chip in it and it can receive ANT+ and/or bluetooth from various sensors then it could be interesting as a sports watch also. optical HR is standard nowadays also.

although competition from garmin/polar/suunto etc is fierce - and I'm not sure what the great advantage of a crowd-funded (open source?) project for a watch would be - other than fun engineering ofcourse.

Offline vidarrTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 04:43:45 pm »
I think the ESP32 can take 16 BT connections simultaneously (maybe more). I never connected more than a few at a time. It can connect to any sensor an Arduino can and more.

The SIM800L has GPRS. Adding, or switching to, GPS would not be a big deal.

The advantage would be that it would be open source and allow people to make add-ons and apps for it. Using the ESP32 allows this thing to do so many things I don't think it would be possible to list them all. I have an entire security system using them. Anything with wifi/BLE, etc can connect to it (anywhere in the world there is data too). It can host webpages, stream music, control cameras for pictures and video, supports running with full encryption of the flash... The apps people could write for this would be endless.

Another major advantage would be the cost. It is not possible to quantify yet, but I know these could be made for less than $200 each.

I am really excited about this project even just for myself. I just wish I had someone to work with. Being an architect, I simply cannot do this myself.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 04:49:05 pm by vidarr »

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 07:30:37 pm »
FWIW people at CERN made a hobby project called f-watch a few years ago:
https://ohwr.org/project/f-watch/wikis/home
it gives some idea of the effort involved and what results can be achieved, and the cost..

Offline Fire Doger

• Regular Contributor
  • Stefanos
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 01:34:01 pm »
There is an OpenSource smartwatch made by a guy https://imgur.com/a/FSBwD3g

For smartwatch I prefer Android because there is already a ton of apps, I don't have to wait anyone to develop something....

Offline carl0s

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 11:45:43 pm »
I saw the last, promising, "smart watch" venture completely failed in execution -- the guy bought himself a Lamborghini (or Ferrari?) and then skimped on the production costs and the watch was a cheap failure. It seems like the Apple watch is the only decent device right now.

Actually smart watches are already here and are a success.
They are an evolution of fitness trackers, but with notifications from your mobile phone (whatsapp, sms, email), and the ability to reply to those things, as well as act as a bluetooth handsfree to your mobile.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Watch, and I know people who have the newer Fitbits.

I think you should maybe survey the market a bit more.

I even have a remote fart app on it. I leave my android phone in the girlfriend's handbag, and.... :)
--
Carl

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf