Author Topic: :: another dodgy wireless charger attempt?  (Read 6685 times)

Offline 3roomlabTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
:: another dodgy wireless charger attempt?
« on: December 16, 2014, 03:31:41 pm »
http://kickstarter.novelsys.co/

i cant remember ... but wasnt it shown that inductive charging is highly in-efficient?

Offline ferrix

• Contributor
Re: :: another dodgy wireless charger attempt?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 05:44:21 pm »
It's inefficient but not horrible for very close and well-aligned coils like this use case. 

I don't get the appeal of this thing at all.  So you get to carry a bulky case containing a circuitboard and connector panel, and a cord...  instead of JUST a cord?

Offline hamdi.tn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 12:50:38 pm »
what you need the coil for , the Iphone 6 for example does not support wireless charging , so you will need that usb cable to charge it anyway ... i don't get what they have done  :-//

Offline ferrix

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 06:22:34 pm »
what you need the coil for , the Iphone 6 for example does not support wireless charging , so you will need that usb cable to charge it anyway ... i don't get what they have done  :-//

If you carefully scrutinize the site, they mention that there is a "slim case" needed for the iphone. So basically it will have a coil and always be plugged in to the lightning port.  Then it can charge from the main pouch thing.  I still don't see how this is a win in any way.  You are carrying a bunch of extra garbage around for no gain.

Offline kindablue

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 06:24:10 pm »
Well, compared to carrying around an extra battery and a USB cable, it might be better.

Offline 3roomlabTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 04:25:31 am »
Well, compared to carrying around an extra battery and a USB cable, it might be better.

hmmm not really

if you use an iphone, you cant really hack the inductor inside of the case, so you will need to wrap the inductor outside the case ... AND the horror is, it will then need to be wired in somehow (or so i would think)

if you use an android, most of these can expose the battery, and there is a chance the inductor (or circuit) can be hacked to the battery terminals (or so i think)

in either way, if the inductor is made to supply direct 5v, then we are all out of luck and it will need to be plugged to the usual charge port .... (so there is a cable again  :-DD)

... if outdoors ... you will still need to carry the battery pack. and with the slightly reduced efficiency, the pack is giving less usable charge than a direct 5v plug in power pack.

but for android users, and especially samsung ... just buy an extra 3.7v battery. its more portable than anything of the above

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 03:28:36 pm »

hmmm not really

if you use an iphone, you cant really hack the inductor inside of the case, so you will need to wrap the inductor outside the case ... AND the horror is, it will then need to be wired in somehow (or so i would think)

if you use an android, most of these can expose the battery, and there is a chance the inductor (or circuit) can be hacked to the battery terminals (or so i think)

in either way, if the inductor is made to supply direct 5v, then we are all out of luck and it will need to be plugged to the usual charge port .... (so there is a cable again  :-DD)

... if outdoors ... you will still need to carry the battery pack. and with the slightly reduced efficiency, the pack is giving less usable charge than a direct 5v plug in power pack.

but for android users, and especially samsung ... just buy an extra 3.7v battery. its more portable than anything of the above
Youre over-thinking this way too much. On the android phones that support wireless charging, there is a set of contacts for the charging coil, you send the output from the receive coil to the contacts and that's it. A Qi chipset handles the coms to the charger, and rectifying the power.

For my S3, it was a matter of putting a $5 sticker on the battery and charging contact, and putting the case back on. 

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 03:39:15 am »
Where inductive charging really makes sense is for products that are waterproof or otherwise completely sealed.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline kindablue

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 06:11:05 pm »
Yeah like smartwatches.

Offline MFX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 10:19:16 pm »
Wireless charging is particularly handy on androids that support it if you mainly use your phone in fixed locations, home, office, car then you can have a charging base at each and simply place your phone on it saves a lot of wear and tear on the USB connector. I'm very mobile for work so it's useless for me there but I have a wireless charger at home. At work I use a USB battery pack to charge it in my pocket.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf