Author Topic: Are you fed up with frequent failure of your phone chargers?  (Read 13761 times)

Offline anderTopic starter

• !
Are you fed up with frequent failure of your phone chargers?
« on: September 22, 2015, 09:45:43 am »
 Our devices get smarter each year, but the charger still get messy. It breaks. AND...,It slowly kills the precious battery with heat and mini-cycles.

So experts warn us“Don’t leave your fully charged phone plugged in. Lithium-ion batteries can overheat is charged for too long. ” Samsung says “unplug once charge’s complete,” and Apple tells us “remove certain cases during charging”.

But we can’t always follow them, can we?

That’s why we created UsBidi(http://www.usbidicharge.com/)

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
Re: Are you fed up with frequent failure of your phone chargers?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 10:27:35 am »
This certainly looks interesting ... I'd really like to see how all of this is implemented in such a small package, and its price  :D providing it's not bs  >:(
That being said, Qi Charging is becoming more and more common, as well as Qualcomm Quick Charge, which can charge at up to 3A...   ::)

EDIT: My charger hasn't broken in about 10 years, I think I should replace my phone now  ;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:34:09 am by crispy_tofu »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 10:36:48 am »
Are you fed up with frequent failure of your phone chargers?

No, because I haven't had a phone charger fail in 10 years of using them daily.

And I'd rather not have my battery eaten up while I'm asleep because my 'smart' charger stopped supplying power.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 10:44:30 am »

I can't remember the last time one of mine died as well, probably just as long. 

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 10:47:56 am »
Completely useless and misleading product, like Batteriser but even worse. There is no point in it at all, when the battery is charged, phone will not consume energy from charger as it don't need it (EDIT: I mean consume for charging). So cutting off the power from the phone is useless. The charger still need to be removed from the mains socket to save the power which it would still consume by itself and prolong it's life. Also for safety reasons as any electronic device plugged into the mains for prolonged time without attention, serves some small potential risk.
So experts warn us“Don’t leave your fully charged phone plugged in. Lithium-ion batteries can overheat is charged for too long. ” Samsung says “unplug once charge’s complete,” and Apple tells us “remove certain cases during charging”.
Unplug from the MAINS SOCKET, NOT PHONE |O
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:14:01 am by wraper »

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 10:48:48 am »
Is there any data on how using this extends battery life? Does the cable cost less than a new smartphone battery anyway?

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 10:50:14 am »
Completely useless and misleading product, like Batteriser but even worse. There is no pint in it at all, when the battery is charged, phone will not consume energy from charger as it don't need it.

Actually yes, it will. The phone will effectively run off the charger so long as it's present. Which is why my phone is 100% charged in the morning. Every day. There's none of this 'micro-cycle' crap going on, either.

Are we going to see one of these cables for laptops soon? oops, shouldn't have given them that idea.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 10:50:31 am »
Fast Charging At Double Speed
Misleading statement
Keeps Battery Healthier, Maximizes Battery Life
Misleading statement

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 11:02:52 am »
Never had a charger failure. I have my phone for 7 years now. And the battery last for 5 days.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 11:49:34 am »
I've never had the charger fail but the USB jack, particularly the micro jacks, act up after a few years, the older jacks were less problematic. Cleaning helps but often it requires try to tighten the connection.

The proprietary jacks used in motorola phones never failed compared to USB, but it was a PITA because it was proprietary. 

Ergo, a true need is a better designed universal power jack.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 12:28:13 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 11:58:03 am »
Good job. You've made a cable more expensive than the ones from Apple.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 01:27:59 pm »
Lithium-ion batteries can overheat is charged for too long. ” Samsung says “unplug once charge’s complete,”
before sleep i usually put my SP into charger, tommorow when awake ready for work, my SP is already full, unplug and off to work... its been a year now, and sometime i dont care to put it like that for a day. and i have many charger stock ($15 a pop) that are yet to replace the original one. you should move your ads and marketing to any politically correct forum, not here ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:29:43 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline ferrix

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 02:00:13 pm »
I suspect the failed chargers are those imposter low$ ones in the crap bin at checkout lanes that Dave tears down.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 02:06:58 pm »
I have my phone for 4 years now. Charged for 6-8 hours daily through the night, when I'm sleeping. It has 2-3 days of battery life (smartphone, not android or iPhone of course ) and over 1200 charge cycle in it, with the same charger.
I'm more worried that some stupid software update kills the battery or the phone. Fortunately they stopped some time ago.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 03:36:07 pm »
I suspect the failed chargers are those imposter low$ ones in the crap bin at checkout lanes that Dave tears down.

In which case a dead cell phone battery is the least of your worries when it fails - fire or electrocution is the reason those things should be avoided.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 05:34:27 am »
The auto-unplug symbol rubs me the wrong way   :-DD

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 06:46:16 am »
Hah, never had a charger fail and I never plug my phone in. Wireless charging for the win!
This product is not needed...
VE7FM

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 07:21:46 am »
Seems like your marketing talk doesn't work here  :-DD

Got buckets of chargers from old phones that failed before charger but not a single broken charger.  ::)

Charger cables are totally different case, especially Apple's cables seem to fail if you look at them in a wrong way. Could be worse. I am less pissed off if the cable breaks instead of the phone's connector. 

Offline jwm_

• Frequent Contributor
    • Not A Number
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 07:23:41 am »
Our devices get smarter each year, but the charger still get messy. It breaks. AND...,It slowly kills the precious battery with heat and mini-cycles.

This can't be true for anything modern. The charger doesn't connect directly to the lithium battery terminals, it goes through a manager, which has a lot more information than the cable, in particular, current draw by just the battery (vs whatever else your phone is doing), battery temperature, current battery voltage, historical charge information,  I don't see how you can improve on that with the cable that has none of these signals to go off of.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 09:53:11 am »
I think this one has a better concept:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/asmo-charger-unplugging-chargers-is-so-last-year#/

The most sophisticated mobile charger ever built

ASMO Charger starts up automatically thanks to USB On-The-Go feature which is included in most modern smartphones....

However, if you have phone without that feature just press the button on the ASMO Charger to start charging....

thanks but... my current charger will starts up automatically without pressing any button, on-the-go feature or not...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 10:09:34 am »
Not sure if you read it all, but the whole point of Asmo is to not consume any power when the phone disconnects. And I found that a much better concept than the product listed by the OP since the phone already handles that issue.

You gave a similar example; unplug the phone in the morning and leave.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 02:55:10 pm »
In the past year, I actually had two Apple USB chargers die — the ones that date back to 2005-06 or thereabouts. For fun, I cracked them open, and surprise, it was simple classic electrolytic failure. Something tells me this scammy cable wouldn't have prevented that! ;)

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 03:55:23 pm »
This shite cable managed to collect $500k  :palm:. People never learn. There already were similar uber smart usb cable crowdfunding campaigns failed, delivered useless pos at best.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 08:42:33 pm »
I'm curious about the circuitry in this cable that supports the claims of 2x faster USB charging and the auto-unplug technology. So far it looks like all it has is an LED which indicates that it is plugged in the wall (or USB port).

It claims 2x faster USB charging but I thought most USB charging from laptop was limited to 500 mA, unless you are on USB 3 or higher.... If you plug into your computer and it is supplying the maximum allowable, how does this device double it? It claims to turn off the "sync" feature (which is the data part) and therefore decrease charging time by double?  :wtf:

So far it looks a modification of one of many other LED/magnetic/fast-charge Alibaba cables:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/PNGXE-High-quality-fast-charging-micro_60354902443.html?spm=a2700.7724838.30.166.M42Kky

Does anyone know how the faster charging is supposed to work when USB max current is limited by a standard? And what happens when you are at 100% battery on your phone... Does it then just trickle-charge the battery? Wouldn't the "auto-shutoff" have to work anyways by detecting a decrease in current draw as the phone decides to reduce the current draw needed for charging and run partially off the battery? Then what? It uses up the battery all night long and by morning your phone has cycled through most of the battery? 

Something just doesn't add up.

I like this one:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/SCGK-High-quality-fast-charging-micro_60392712670.html?spm=a2700.7724838.30.242.M42Kky

Yes...  :palm:  .... That company is called Shit-tech.... (http://schitec.com/)

Anyways, this cable sounds to me like it is preying on the gullibilities of the uneducated public. Most modern phones have battery management circuitry and do not shorten the life or over-charge when staying plugged in constantly. I have yet to see any evidence that turning off the charge when your phone is 100% full sometime in the middle of the night (even if the cable can detect this, which is still a dubious claim) will only guaranty that you will have a partially charged phone in the morning running off the internal battery.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 08:53:14 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf