Author Topic: Live on CrowdSupply! muArt - A UART converter finally done right  (Read 5484 times)

Offline pylo

• Contributor
Re: Live on CrowdSupply! muArt - A UART converter finally done right
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2018, 08:58:56 am »
Yes, you'll need the CP210x VCP drivers. You'll also be able to get them much more easily from the muArt's homepage, but that's under construction. You'll also find a much better Linux driver there, though I have to say the one in standard mainline also works. Keep a lookout for project updates over at CrowdSupply for more info ;)

The following users thanked this post: Jon.C

Offline grizewald

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2018, 09:09:43 pm »
Great to see this live at last.

I've just added my backing as well and I'm really looking forward to being able to get rid of my pile of USB-Serial converters!

:-+

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2018, 09:18:07 pm »
Do you have to add the VCC line to the target? (presumably to power the level converter)
Forgive me if it's mentioned somewhere, I haven't looked at everything.

Offline pylo

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2018, 10:07:05 pm »
Do you have to add the VCC line to the target? (presumably to power the level converter)
Forgive me if it's mentioned somewhere, I haven't looked at everything.
No prob :) Yes you need that, in the latest version of the board this pin's also been renamed to VIN to emphasize that this is an input pin. In my experience every prototyping board / SBC out there already has a header for GPIO or core voltage, so I prefer very much having to connect one wire more and then everything being automatically correct, instead of having to set voltages manually. And for your own custom boards you can either place this pin too, or in case you cannot, just supply it externally, but IMHO the latter is kind of rare.

Here's an interesting thing: I deliberately made the PWR LED only light up when both USB and VIN are connected. This way you can actually tell when the whole board's powered correctly, unlike with other converters where this LED simply signalizes USB connection but is actually useless because it doesn't mean power has been correctly applied everywhere.

Aaanyway, last week I posted a sample for your mailbag, with schematics and a preliminary datasheet. If there's a mail from Hungary, that's probably it :)

And thanks Dave for the great vblog!

Online Jon.C

• Supporter
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2018, 10:42:45 pm »
backed !

almost there

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2018, 12:27:25 am »
Here's an interesting thing: I deliberately made the PWR LED only light up when both USB and VIN are connected. This way you can actually tell when the whole board's powered correctly, unlike with other converters where this LED simply signalizes USB connection but is actually useless because it doesn't mean power has been correctly applied everywhere.

Nice touch.

Aaanyway, last week I posted a sample for your mailbag, with schematics and a preliminary datasheet. If there's a mail from Hungary, that's probably it :)

Cool, thanks.

Offline BNElecEng

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2018, 06:41:05 pm »
Just backed the project. Good luck!

Offline NorthGuy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2018, 07:33:38 am »
Congratulations, it's funded  :-+

I've read your update on safety. I think it's a good idea to add to the discussion one more case - negative voltages. If they poke a ground wire into VIn then there will be negative voltages on other pins.

Offline chriswebb

• Supporter
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2018, 09:00:33 am »
Backed it!
Always learning. The greatest part of life is that there will always be more to learn.

Offline pylo

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2018, 05:18:25 pm »
Congratulations, it's funded  :-+

Thank you guys for your support! I was contemplating between 7-8 week campaign period, and went for 7 weeks only because I wanted to make sure I can ship before December (to avoid Christmas season where shipping delays go out of control), but I'd have never imagined the project gets funded in just two and a half days. I'm so glad and thank you.

I've read your update on safety. I think it's a good idea to add to the discussion one more case - negative voltages. If they poke a ground wire into VIn then there will be negative voltages on other pins.

Good point to bring this up too. The ESD diodes were chosen to be bidirectional for exactly this reason. If you connect your data lines before the power, and you reverse the polarity on power, then your data signals may be negative. Unidirectional diodes would start conducting and your own board's digital outputs would see it as a short, so there's a good chance your application would burn down. Bidirectional diodes avoid this short, but now the muArt will probably get damaged instead. This is however the more preferable way, because I'd rather protect the application circuit. You may not have a replacement for your custom circuit at hand, but a UART adapter is easily replaced. The adapter is also probably way cheaper than whatever circuit is hanging on its IOs. So, for both of these reasons, if I have to choose which to preserve like in this case, I'll save the application.

Of course, if you connect power first and only then the data lines, the picture looks different. As I've mentioned in my earlier post, I've made the power LED light up only when power on *both* sides of the muArt have been correctly applied. This means you can immediately recognize if the VIN polarity is wrong (LED won't light up), so you can correct it before attaching any IOs, and all is good.

EDIT: I've incorporated these points into the original article, but I need CrowdSupply to publish the changes. They'll probably do it after the weekend.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:59:07 pm by pylo »

Online Jon.C

• Supporter
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2018, 09:54:54 pm »
Hi  @pylo

So is it possible to have them before November?

or continues the campaign to the end?

Thank you

Offline pylo

• Contributor
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2018, 06:52:01 pm »
Hi Jon,
The campaign will run to its end. But being funded early does mean I can make some preparations earlier, which should at least lessen the probability of delays.

The following users thanked this post: iainwhite, Jon.C

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf