Author Topic: ASAP Connect: The future of USB cables (fraudulent?)  (Read 27543 times)

Offline TheAmmoniacalTopic starter

• Supporter
ASAP Connect: The future of USB cables (fraudulent?)
« on: June 15, 2016, 08:40:12 pm »
Found this campaign just today... https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/asap-connect-the-future-of-usb-cables#/

I noticed the cable looks very similar to this: http://www.dhgate.com/product/magnetic-data-line-micro-usb-quick-charge/377862654.html (if not identical?). The seller even has a gold-colored version if you look at the last picture. (definitely not 18k gold plated, could this also be a lie?)

Buying them at $9 wholesale from China and reselling at $39-40?

"Through years of design and material testing, we've reduced the size of the ASAP Connect tip to only 10mm (0.39") wide which fits perfectly into all your Apple and Android devices." Isn't this bordering on fraud?

Also worth noting that the indiegogo campaign uses pictures from the dhgate listing (with the included Chinglish typos).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:02:33 pm by TheAmmoniacal »

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
Re: ASAP Connect: The future of USB cables (fraudulent?)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 09:54:21 pm »
The campaign certainly looks like a copy of a number of already-available quick-connect magnetic adapters, that is true. Just look at what this search on Amazon.com shows up for "magnetic USB cable":

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=magnetic+usb+cable

The IGG campaign is $14 for 1 cable and 1 tip. That's about the price you see in the market. Nothing special. The "retail" price of $39 is perhaps what you may see in a BestBuy or Staples where people may not know they exist and are willing to pay more for cables (like those $50 Monster HDMI cables that are $5 online). The idea of putting in the $39 is to make more people on IGG buy them, figuring they will cost more later. But anyone who searches for it will see they are available anyways and that the higher price is really no threat. They figured $14 is comparable to what is already available, and it doesn't seem to be a huge risk for them to produce it because they will just re-badge some existing cable from an OEM.

Personally, I would buy it from eBay. At least I have feedback from other buyers, and if there is a problem I can ask for a refund. Backing up IGG is still a huge risk because the people doing the campaign can just walk off with the money and never deliver, even if the product exists.

They are banking on a huge order of items, which will bring their cost down to a few dollars a piece when they get a container-load from China, maybe under $1 a piece, so they can make bigger profits. Plus if they pad their shipping costs, they can get a bit more margin there. They can pay China OEM to custom-label the order and custom package. Then they work to stuff envelopes and ship.

IGG does not surprise me anymore.  :palm: 

I wouldn't be surprised if Chinese OEM's create "fake" campaigns to simply push their product (or various iterations of it) directly, thereby cutting out the middle-man (like you see here) who is just buying and selling Chinese products that nobody in the West knows about. For example, there are tons of electronic gadgets that are very cheap on Alibaba that someone could order from a Chinese OEM in sufficient quantities to customize firmware, the look and appearance of the case, color availability, packaging, etc. It may look like a totally new and different product yet really just be very similar or identical inside to what already exists.

Then you may ask yourself, isn't this really what *MANY* companies do these days? They design a cool-looking gadget or device, add a bit of chrome and shape it differently, stylize it, sprinkle some fantastic marketing on it and voila! Guess where it's made? Shenzhen China? Factory City? Guangdong? Any of these (http://www.itimanufacturing.com/chinese-manufacturing-news/the-5-largest-cities-in-china-for-manufacturing/).

So don't these "Creators" have a right to profit from their marketing and design?  Do you really need a factory of your own? Or just a "Design-House" and the ability to create retail connections and get your product ordered from Chinese OEM's and retail it through Western distribution channels?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:04:16 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 10:10:50 pm »
Impressive just how many almost identical magnetic cables exist!

If the $14 pledge on IGG includes the cable I'm impressed, not too far off retail price. Can't be very profitable.

The pledge only says "1x Adapter and 1x tip", so adapter = cable?  :-//

The $42 pledge includes 2 cables and 4 tips.

Offline Xenoamor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 11:57:18 am »
Just found this comment on an Amazon review:

Wow!! Okay...So I'll start by saying the reason why I went for this product. I originally backed a project on Kickstarter called Znaps who after 5 months of their expected delivery date still haven't even manufactured the products so after a quick Amazon search I found these which are exactly the same as Znaps.

And lo and behold...
Zsnaps
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1041610927/znaps-the-9-magnetic-adapter-for-your-mobile-devic

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 12:17:02 pm »
If you think your magnetic cables are better than others, I see nothing wrong in doing an indiegogo to have it made. The problem is the ASAP Connect campaign is claiming to be making, and having patented, a cable which is identical to an already existing product.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 11:56:30 pm »
Plot twist:

Maybe the creator on IGG *is* the company who is already making the cables?

That would explain the price being equal to the online wholesale price and would mean their claims of "we" aren't factually untrue.

Just a thought.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline chargeasap

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 10:28:53 am »
Hi,

I'm Vinson Leow, the founder of asap technologies. We have had hundreds of companies steal both our artwork and our video. We work directly with Indiegogo and Facebook HQ so it's been very tedious working with them to try shutting down all the fakes that has been stealing our hard work.

Here is our latest campaign for the world's first cross-device compatible magnetic USB cable: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/x-connect-world-s-1st-cross-device-magnetic-cable-apple-iphone/x/8921344#/

We hold a design patent and have a patent-pending utility. However there are many cheaper fake versions available online that don't work as advertised.

Our cables are real 18K gold plated which is why they cost more than the fake cables you find on places such as Alibaba. I don't monitor this forum so if you have any questions please email me directly on: vinson@chargeasap.com.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 10:53:49 am »

Waste of money buying these 18K gold plated cables  :=\
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 12:44:46 pm »
Hi,

I'm Vinson Leow, the founder of asap technologies. We have had hundreds of companies steal both our artwork and our video. We work directly with Indiegogo and Facebook HQ so it's been very tedious working with them to try shutting down all the fakes that has been stealing our hard work.

Here is our latest campaign for the world's first cross-device compatible magnetic USB cable: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/x-connect-world-s-1st-cross-device-magnetic-cable-apple-iphone/x/8921344#/

We hold a design patent and have a patent-pending utility. However there are many cheaper fake versions available online that don't work as advertised.

Our cables are real 18K gold plated which is why they cost more than the fake cables you find on places such as Alibaba. I don't monitor this forum so if you have any questions please email me directly on: vinson@chargeasap.com.
Tell your bullshit somewhere else. How can someone "steal" from you if those products were available even before your IGG scampaign started.

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 12:55:21 pm »
Hi,

It will take a lot of good evidence from your side to show you are not the thief here.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 01:08:18 pm »
Hi,

It will take a lot of good evidence from your side to show you are not the thief here.
Going to be pretty difficult I imagine when his campaign started 5 months or so ago and then you have Wsken's video dated in July 2015:

Also, even if some kind of patent suit comes of it, don't you think Apple would get involved deeply in it? or Sony as they have a similar connector to MagSafe on their Xperias.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 05:46:57 pm »
Tell your bullshit somewhere else.

Please be civil.

How can someone "steal" from you if those products were available even before your IGG scampaign started.

I saw a design patent mentioned in there. Try selling something that one of the big boys have a design patent on and see how quickly you end up in court, so "steal" is a reasonable claim of there's a design patent in place.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 06:12:25 pm »
Tell me this guy hasn't approached Wsken and asked to rebrand their product and it's being masqueraded as a kickstarter.

Time to email IGG.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 06:43:47 pm »
I saw a design patent mentioned in there. Try selling something that one of the big boys have a design patent on and see how quickly you end up in court, so "steal" is a reasonable claim of there's a design patent in place.
Patent number, please? Also patenting the design which were made by different companies at least a year before someone even heard about that ASAP connect, and which still have not delivered "their" product, won't stand in court and patent will be cancelled. Moreover, for example, in US, pending patent have no legal effect, therefore you cannot sue for any products which were made before the patent was granted.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 06:48:40 pm by wraper »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 07:41:44 pm »
Patent number, please? Also patenting the design which were made by different companies at least a year before someone even heard about that ASAP connect, and which still have not delivered "their" product, won't stand in court and patent will be cancelled. Moreover, for example, in US, pending patent have no legal effect, therefore you cannot sue for any products which were made before the patent was granted.

You don't seem to understand the difference between a design patent and a utility patent. They are not the same thing and there is no requirement for novelty in a design patent.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 07:51:25 pm »
You don't seem to understand the difference between a design patent and a utility patent.
excuse me, but copying existing design which is already on the marked for quiet some time is something more than just lack of novelty.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 08:06:27 pm »
If there's prior art then the design patent is void anyway. In which case, unless Wsken and ASAP are the same company then ASAP wouldn't hold the design patent long. Also, this is useful: https://www.google.com/patents/us7311526
and other magnetic connectors are often under prior art.

So, without specific "improvements", ASAP's "patent" won't hold much weight.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 08:12:14 pm »
You don't seem to understand the difference between a design patent and a utility patent.
excuse me, but copying existing design which is already on the marked for quiet some time is something more than just lack of novelty.

That still doesn't alter the difference between a design patent and a utility patent. Design patents cover the look and feel of a product, utility patents the method of working of a product. I could have a design patent for an injection moulded plastic flower and, if I did, nobody else could sell an injection moulded plastic flower that looked the same. I would not be the first person, by a long chalk, to sell a moulded plastic flower.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 08:14:53 pm »
If there's prior art then the design patent is void anyway. In which case, unless Wsken and ASAP are the same company then ASAP wouldn't hold the design patent long. Also, this is useful: https://www.google.com/patents/us7311526

Again, design patent != utility patent. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_patent Prior art has nothing to do with design patents.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 08:25:27 pm »

Again, design patent != utility patent. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_patent Prior art has nothing to do with design patents.
from that wiki link:
Design patents are only granted if the design is novel and not obvious for all items

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 09:21:42 pm »

from that wiki link:
Design patents are only granted if the design is novel and not obvious for all items

Design, unqualified, is not helpful. Remember that the context is ornamental design and it all makes sense. I'll bet that "Hello Kitty" has dozens of design patents but it isn't the first cute cat toy/doll to be produced. Novel in that context just means not directly copied. That you reproduce the 'novel' claim out of context makes me suspect that you're not arguing for the sake of clarification, but just for the sake of arguing. If that's not the case, I apologise, but it sure looks like it having seen your posts before.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 11:04:45 pm »
Design, unqualified, is not helpful. Remember that the context is ornamental design and it all makes sense. I'll bet that "Hello Kitty" has dozens of design patents but it isn't the first cute cat toy/doll to be produced. Novel in that context just means not directly copied. That you reproduce the 'novel' claim out of context makes me suspect that you're not arguing for the sake of clarification, but just for the sake of arguing. If that's not the case, I apologise, but it sure looks like it having seen your posts before.
Ok, then look on the pictures at the very first post. Analogy would be Hello Kitty vs Hello Kitty because they are exactly the same = directly copied or, more likely, just a rebadge of existing cable at 3x of the price. Even the the picture is cloned.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:07:32 pm by wraper »

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 11:06:07 pm »
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your concern with us. At this time, the campaign is under review to ensure that it adheres to our Terms of Use (http://www.indiegogo.com/about/terms). We will follow up with you if we have any further questions.

So what happens now? We will include the information you have provided along with all other information at our disposal in our review of the campaign. In some cases, we will contact the campaign owner to have them edit their campaign and it will remain on our platform. If the project doesn't follow our rules, we may remove the campaign. We may also restrict the campaign owner's future activities on Indiegogo.

To protect our users' privacy, we're unable to share the action we take. At Indiegogo, we take the trust and safety of our community very seriously, and we greatly appreciate your patience and understanding throughout this review process. To learn more about Indiegogo’s Trust & Safety effort, please visit: www.indiegogo.com/trust

Please note that you do not need to contact us again. Doing so would create a new ticket and prolong the process. Thank you again for taking the time to get in touch with us and for helping to keep Indiegogo a safe and secure platform.

Hopefully we can save these fools who've backed this some money.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 11:24:30 pm »
Ok, then look on the pictures at the very first post. Analogy would be Hello Kitty vs Hello Kitty because they are exactly the same = directly copied or, more likely, just a rebadge of existing cable at 3x of the price. Even the the picture is cloned.

Take it up with the guy, who's here, who said they had a design patent. I was just trying to clear up your fuzzy thinking around types of patent and chide you mildly for your discourteousness. And your changing argument in mid-stream (from the general of what constitiutes a design patent to the specific of is this guy's design patent) lends weight to my suspicion that you're just here for an argument. There's no profit in feeding the trolls.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 11:47:55 pm »
He says he has a patent. If he has a patent why didn't he link to it. Then again he says his device is the world's first cross-platform magnetic USB cable. Which is clearly false because they've been out for over a year.

Oh and it looks remarkably like the one from Wsken which you can see in Techmoan's video done in his review of several products.

I think you're giving him too much benefit of the doubt Cerebus.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf