Author Topic: Axiom open source cinema camera  (Read 4549 times)

Offline janocTopic starter

• Super Contributor

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
Re: Axiom open source cinema camera
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 12:58:08 am »
They must have invested some serious money into that thing! (If it exists)

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 06:23:05 am »
looks legit, they want some of the RED ( http://www.red.com/history ) pie
technology is pretty simple and solved, its all implementation
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline fake-name

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 07:33:38 am »
looks legit, they want some of the RED ( http://www.red.com/history ) pie
technology is pretty simple and solved, its all implementation

They're apparently heavily using (or even are the same people) as the people behind the Elphel cameras ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elphel  their website is down at the moment).

Apparently it's basically a imaging sensor and a Xilinx Zynq FPGA+ARM. It should be pretty straight-forward to implement.

Offline macgyver0815

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 03:47:31 pm »

They're apparently heavily using (or even are the same people) as the people behind the Elphel cameras

No, one of the team members worked for elphel a few years ago for some time as they originally planned to use these Elphel cameras - but at some point they decided to do their own thing as elphel had very different focus. They do their own fully custom design now.

I am following this project for years now - this is a good project and the team is real ;-) 

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 04:16:16 pm »
The funding goal looks a little low - I wonder if they're expecting "The community" to do a lot of the software work....
I suspect it could take quite a while (if ever) to reach the sort of standard  the notoriously fussy photographic market expects.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 08:23:17 pm »
software is already there(on pc), all the movie maniacs want pure untouched RAWs anyway
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 10:44:23 pm »
IIRC the Elphel camera used the now deprecated AXIS SoC, so I guess it wouldn't be that hard to find something to replace it with.

Offline fake-name

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 12:38:48 am »
IIRC the Elphel camera used the now deprecated AXIS SoC, so I guess it wouldn't be that hard to find something to replace it with.

They've stated they're using a Xilinx Zynq SoCs (they're actually apparently using parallela eval boards in the prototypes!).

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 09:07:20 pm »
Yes, I meant the Elphel camera, which is why it never took off I think as the chip was deprecated.

From what i've seen this is Elphel 2.0 kind of.

Offline janocTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 02:14:34 pm »
The funding goal looks a little low - I wonder if they're expecting "The community" to do a lot of the software work....
I suspect it could take quite a while (if ever) to reach the sort of standard  the notoriously fussy photographic market expects.

There are some videos that purportedly show processed images shot with the alpha version, so some software has to exist already (unless it is all fake, as are most of the pictures - everything is just artist's rendering).

I just don't see how they are going to fund the production of the kit with just $100k and $500/apiece, even though that is just "reservation price" (you have to buy the thing for another $2300 afterwards). Just the FPGA is in the $100/pop range and I don't see the 300fps/4k sensor being that cheap neither. Unless they have a lot of external funding, that leaves very little money for actually paying for the production of the cameras. And I doubt they are going to solder those BGAs in a garage by hand!

Also, if you look at their team, the ones that have actually any info published are people like "new media nerd", "videographer", "3D artist", "new media artist", etc. Not a single engineer in sight.

J.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf