Author Topic: BuildOne: $99 3D Printer w/ WiFi and Auto Bed Leveling  (Read 6470 times)

Offline Mr.BTopic starter

• Supporter
BuildOne: $99 3D Printer w/ WiFi and Auto Bed Leveling
« on: June 20, 2017, 08:11:22 pm »
This has just come to my attention.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robotic-industries/buildone-99-3d-printer-w-wifi-and-auto-bed-levelin

Seeking opinions from experienced low cost 3D printer users out there.
Not long to go on the KS site.
I have backed one of Eriks KS before - the Digistump Oak. It was a little late on delivery, but otherwise a well run campaign.
If people think the 3D printer is a bit more useful than just a toy, I will back it.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: BuildOne: $99 3D Printer w/ WiFi and Auto Bed Leveling
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 08:33:08 pm »
Dunno, for that money it's worth a punt, I backed it at one of the lower levels figuring it's going to be a source of bits if it's dross, if it works as well as the videos show then it'll be great fun for cheap.

The following users thanked this post: Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 08:51:56 pm »
Dunno, for that money it's worth a punt, I backed it at one of the lower levels figuring it's going to be a source of bits if it's dross, if it works as well as the videos show then it'll be great fun for cheap.

That's what I was thinking... At worst I will have a bunch of stepper motors and gears.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline uwezi

• Supporter
    • GreenPhotons
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 09:24:48 pm »
This printer campain has been featured in the Elektor newsletter recently as well.

What I can see there is
  • threaded rods in all axes - slower than belt drives without any real gain in resolution since the nozzle will still squirt out 0.4mm
  • small build volume - originally 125x125x125 mm3
  • base version without heated bed

For a small build plate like the on this printer I don't think that auto-leveling is necessary. I have a Wanhao i3 (the box of it was featured in episode #994) with a 200x200 mm2 build plate without auto-leveling and I really don't need to level anything (normally).

Offline buck converter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 09:30:58 pm »
I would not back any 3d printer on kick starter, since too many "cheap 3D printer" campaigns campaigns have failed. If you want a 3d printer, spent  at LEAST $400 USD
Just me and my scope.

Offline Avacee

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 10:02:00 pm »
Given the KS mentions using the Marlin firmware and from the pictures that KS looks like nothing more than a slimmed down i3 knock-off - or more likely a knock-off of an i3 knock-off :)
The good news is the i3 and its many knock-offs have great support across various websites (google will be your friend) as any query you will have has already been asked and answered.

I've a Tronxy P802MA with heated bed, auto-level and 22(w)x22(d)x24(h)cm build volume that cost £160 (kit+1 reel of white PLA - it took 2 hours to put together).
A friend has an aNet A8 that was £140 but no auto-level and we're both very happy with our printers.
We accept we don't have experience of printers at N times the price but for what we use them for (home projects - I use mine for custom project boxes among other things) then they're fantastic value.

In my humble opinion - if you're paying the extra on the KS for the heated bed (essential!) then you may as well pay a few $ more for an established product with a lot more build volume and support.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:07:26 pm by Avacee »

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 10:06:25 pm »
Build area too small, and threaded rods for x/y it will be sloooooooooooooow
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: uwezi, Mr.B

Offline benst

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 12:20:42 am »
I wouldn't back it. Too much risk as others have said. First version of a new 3d printer is often a bag of hurt.

Since one week I have the Fabrikator Mini V2. It's around €185 on Hobbyking, and is actually quite good. It is small (10x10x10 cm build volume), but has a heated PEI build plate, full enclosure and a cooling fan. WiFi, USB and SD. No auto bed levelling, but that's really no issue. So it is comparable to the $174 version of the Kickstarter one. It is probably much faster as it only has a Z-axis lead screw. Belt drives for X/Y. It's great for getting my feet wet in the 3d-print world. It has a small build volume, but it can print for example Raspberry Pi boxes (See attached photo, printing this one right now.)

Oh, and it is fully assembled.

(Not affiliated, etc.)

Ben
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 01:47:47 am by benst »
I hack for work and pleasure.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 01:46:12 am »
As far as I can work out, the original prototype model is completely different to the probable production model.

Even though they are saying that they can deliver 3000 units a month in September, I am not sure what they are offering. They say the enclosure is optional, but if you look at their most recent prototypes with a vertically moving printbed, and the printhead on a moveable X-Y axis, it looks like the enclosure is essential as part of the structure. All the hardware is mounted at the top of the enclosure.

Have they still not made a prototype of the actual production unit yet? Test prints from prototypes built from $300 of parts mean nothing if the $99 production units will be a different design built from much cheaper hardware.

For the $99, they have to supply 4 Nema stepping motors, a 12V 20A power supply (the minimum as they offer a heated bed option), probably an Arduino compatible RAMPS board,  a wifi board, all the rods, screws, bearings, E3 extruder clone, temperature sensors, X, Y and Z limit sensors, copper wire and print bed. It is a lot of hardware for $99.

Then I assume with the left over money, they have to build, calibrate, test, and handle all the after-sales issues.

Since they are still in the early prototype stage, I think you can forget the delivery date.

The truth is you will want to option the printer up so it can print materials like nylon and PETG so you are looking at a more expensive printer. By the time you add shipping, it is getting closer to $200. 

Definitely either buy something proven and available in the market today, or wait until they have their "3,000 a month production line" fully running. The $200 kits on the market now, like the Tevo Tarantula and the other Prusa i3 based designs are perfectly usable 3D printers with heated beds and 20x20x20cm (or more) print volume. They will require many hours of work building, and probably upgrading with new stronger 3D printed parts to be really useable and safe, but you can check them out on Youtube and you can buy them today.

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 03:53:57 am »
For the $99, they have to supply 4 Nema stepping motors, a 12V 20A power supply (the minimum as they offer a heated bed option), probably an Arduino compatible RAMPS board,  a wifi board, all the rods, screws, bearings, E3 extruder clone, temperature sensors, X, Y and Z limit sensors, copper wire and print bed. It is a lot of hardware for $99.

The truth is you will want to option the printer up so it can print materials like nylon and PETG so you are looking at a more expensive printer. By the time you add shipping, it is getting closer to $200.

I agree it is a lot of kit for $99, and also agree that optioning up would be the only thing to do.
I understand all the comments made above, however I am still in two minds as to whether to take the punt or not.

Erik has had three five successful KS campaigns, so I don't doubt his ability to understand what is required from a production perspective.
I have no knowledge of the other team members on the project.
That is when the niggling doubt starts to creep in.

As I am only going to use the device for small one off project enclosures and to get my feet wet in the 3D printing arena, perhaps I am better off purchasing some other more proven product.

Something to sleep on...

Edit: update to five KS
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:13:19 am by Mr.B »

Offline Farrel

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 03:47:26 pm »
how will they get this stuff? new? used? refurbished?

Offline XYZVector

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 08:37:04 am »
Guys this thing is using cheap arse leadscrews. They will have backlash and mechanical issues, like this printer will be slow, as a turtle. It will work, and there is a lot of open source 3d printer software out there. What I would like to see is a servo driven 3d printer, it would be expensive, but I bet it would be able to move a lot faster and would be a lot quieter. Anyways it will work, slowly but for 99.00 you will get what you pay for.

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 10:34:36 pm »
Guys this thing is using cheap arse leadscrews. They will have backlash and mechanical issues, like this printer will be slow, as a turtle. It will work, and there is a lot of open source 3d printer software out there. What I would like to see is a servo driven 3d printer, it would be expensive, but I bet it would be able to move a lot faster and would be a lot quieter. Anyways it will work, slowly but for 99.00 you will get what you pay for.

There is the mechaduino, which is a sort of half-way solution to a servo. The main advantage being that it drops straight in. If you went true servo, its probably going to cost 3-4x as much, unless something is available in the BLDC hobby motor area.
I'm re-laying out their PCB to try it out soon, the design could be improved a bit for cost, although the main components aren't too expensive ($5 14-bit encoder in quantity, but in singles its >$12).

http://tropical-labs.com/index.php/mechaduino
https://github.com/Misfittech/nano_stepper
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline jfitter

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 07:11:05 am »
Clearly did not read the project documentation or messages. Lead screws were abandoned after the first prototype. It has been belt drive ever since.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 10:01:00 am »
Clearly YOU did not read the dates on this thread, which all predate the update in August last year where they said "Taking into account feedback and time to market, we will be moving forward with all the lead screw design."... then a month later they changed their mind again I think.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf