Author Topic: Cling VOC fitness wristband, measures blood alcohol content?  (Read 3314 times)

Offline TheAmmoniacalTopic starter

• Supporter
Nordic Semiconductor recently tweeted a new product using their nRF51822 SoC, namely a Cling VOC fitness band - a product I googled to this page https://z.jd.com/project/details/48379.html, it seems to be a Chinese crowdfunding campaign. For the Chinese people in here, does it look believable? I'd be interested!

English summary: http://www.nordicsemi.com/News/News-releases/Product-Related-News/Bluetooth-low-energy-multifunction-wearable-monitors-tracks-blood-alcohol-level-indoor-air-quality-and-more

"The multifunction wristband and smartwatch is equipped with a range of sensors to track health data including heart rate, body temperature, activity, and sleep, as well as a pair of Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS) MOX multigas sensors to monitor indoor air quality and the concentration of alcohol in the user’s blood. The professional grade sensors are able to detect volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in the air to a precision of 10 parts per billion, and blood alcohol at 1mg per 100ml, making them suitable for a range of personal- and business-safety applications and end users."
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:36:50 pm by TheAmmoniacal »

Offline Xenoamor

• Regular Contributor
Re: Cling VOC fitness wristband, measures blood alcohol content?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 11:31:31 am »
The professional grade sensors are able to detect volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in the air to a precision of 10 parts per billion, and blood alcohol at 1mg per 100ml, making them suitable for a range of personal- and business-safety applications and end users.
This may well be describing just the sensors and not the actual use in this particular product?

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 11:33:02 am »
The professional grade sensors are able to detect volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in the air to a precision of 10 parts per billion, and blood alcohol at 1mg per 100ml, making them suitable for a range of personal- and business-safety applications and end users.
This may well be describing just the sensors and not the actual use in this particular product?

I would assume so, but I can't imagine how any of those capabilities can be integrated in this product.

Offline Xenoamor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 11:37:43 am »
I imagine they are going to be used to tell you how 'safe' your current enviroment is. These products need gimmicks to sell them as the market is pretty saturated with them, at least I'd imagine so

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 11:44:00 am »
I imagine they are going to be used to tell you how 'safe' your current enviroment is. These products need gimmicks to sell them as the market is pretty saturated with them, at least I'd imagine so

That's my first impression (and suspicion). But if a product do come on the market with genuine (even if imprecise) environment sensors it could be fun to play around with.

Offline janekm

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 01:12:20 am »
The sensors exist (from Figaro, AMS and Bosch for example) but there are obvious issues with wrist-worn gas sensors (the skin gives off VOCs, and the sensors are affected by humidity).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf