Author Topic: Coin-sized Linux embedded computer with Wi-Fi  (Read 22054 times)

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
Re: Coin-sized Linux embedded computer with Wi-Fi
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 10:03:41 pm »
Well, an hour or so after I posted the above, they sent out an update. The first one in over 2 months!  I guess a prod on the EEVblog gets results!  ^-^

Apparently the've been waiting for FCC approval....

Offline jwm_

• Frequent Contributor
    • Not A Number
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 12:31:33 am »
Do you need FCC approval for a "kit" module like this? I thought you only needed it for final products.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 01:45:50 am »
It is not required, but if they were to obtain modular approval, it would allow people to integrate it into the final product without re-certification provided certain conditions are met (antenna with the same pattern and gain is used and that module is the only source of intentional radiation).

But what does it mean "waiting"? FCC takes about 2 weeks to prepare the paperwork after the lab test.
Alex

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 05:37:18 am »
Good points. Maybe the FCC thing is a red herring.

From their update:  "FCC certification took a bit longer than we expected — but now we are expecting to receive final verdict (positive, of course!) within a few days. At the same time, we started mass production of Black Swift boards — PCBs are ready, we are waiting in line for the final assembly."

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 05:47:55 am »
but now we are expecting to receive final verdict (positive, of course!) within a few days.
The final verdict is known at the day of the test in the lab. They usually generate a report right on the spot. All FCC does is enter all of the information into a database and assign an ID.

Or they are doing something with some sketchy lab.

On the other hand, the picture from the first post seems to be real. And they are not hugely over due.

In any case, if passing FCC takes you more than a month, you are doing it wrong. And should probably ship units as is, and certify later for mass orders.
Alex

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 12:02:14 am »
But what does it mean "waiting"? FCC takes about 2 weeks to prepare the paperwork after the lab test.

It's common to just consider the third party lab test a part of the certification (technically incorrect maybe, but common). Thus a failed lab test can mean certification takes longer, for certain definitions of certification.

Now they could just be bullshitting any way, but saying what they said is suspect is reaching a bit.

Offline JBeale

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 10:30:59 pm »
Apparently, they got the FCC Part 15C cert on June 25. They show a document from MiCOM Labs in Pleasanton CA, addressed to Alexey Andreev at Tradezone HK Limited

"Let us inform you that Black Swift's FCC ID is 2AETB-AR933"  https://fccid.io/2AETB-AR933
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1133560316/black-swift-tiny-wireless-computer/posts/1278390

Offline janekm

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 11:16:58 am »
Unless I'm mistaken (might well be, not my area of expertise) for modular approval (i.e., for an approval that carries over to another product that incorporates the module) the module needs to be shielded:

"1. The modular transmitter must have its own RF shielding.  This is intended to ensure
       that the module does not have to rely upon the shielding provided by the device into which
       it is installed in order for all modular transmitter emissions to comply with Part 15 limits.
       It is also intended to prevent coupling between the RF circuitry of the module and any
       wires or circuits in the device into which the module is installed.  Such coupling may
       result in non-compliant operation."

https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Public_Notices/2000/da001407.txt

Which might explain the delays... The FCC ID they got is specifically not for modular approval though: "Modular Type:  Does not apply", so perhaps they just realised they couldn't get modular approval for the module as designed?
So let's hope nobody tries to integrate the module into another product...

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 09:37:31 pm »
How the hell did they get a limited modular certification?

In such a case, an operating condition on
the grant of equipment authorization for the module would state that the module is only approved for
use when installed in devices produced by a specific manufacturer, typically the Grantee.
  If LMA is
sought, the application for equipment authorization must make this fact clear.  It must also specifically
state how control of the end product, into which the module will be installed, will be maintained, such
that full compliance of the end product is always ensured.

PS. on the other hand the grant makes no mention of being limited to a specific manufacturer while DA 00-1407 says it should ... so maybe there are some addendums I'm not aware of.

PPS. FCC  07 - 56 does seem a bit looser in it's language, no mention of specific manufacturer.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 09:53:54 pm by Marco »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 09:50:50 pm »
I think it is just a paperwork mistake/omission. I'm pretty sure the intent here is to allow them use it as a module in their own products, but not for general public. Which renders this certification pretty much useless.
Alex

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2015, 09:56:00 pm »
As I said, FCC 07-56 is a little less strict in it's language ... might be able to get away with just following their instructions for shielding during the design of a product. Of course they'd actually need to share the design of the shielding they used for the certification.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2015, 05:54:32 am »
Oleg,

It's been 1 1/2 months since the last update on the project page and now 2 1/2 months since initial delivery estimate. No responses to requests for an update on the project page.

What's the deal? 

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 06:32:10 am »
And  no Oleg.

We need an icon for runners.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2015, 05:14:21 pm »
Well, apparently this is not dead yet.

New update today

We are not dead.
Last week Dmitry Zherebkov, original project leader, left the project.
For the past 2 months, the project was in deep financial crisis.
Now we have investors interested in bringing the project back to life.
We are reorganizing our structure now, and I believe we’ll start actual production in under 2 weeks. It means you’ll get you rewards in 6 weeks.
Our new name is Unwired Devices LLC, and our website is www.unwireddevices.com. Black Swift was renamed to Unwired One as well.
www.black-swift.com and www.black-swift.ru websites and corresponding email addresses are not connected with this project anymore

Good on them for at least keeping backers informed.  Though, the question is what happened to the $78,000?     We'll see if they deliver.. 

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2015, 01:27:48 pm »
Hmm, "Dmitry has left the project", "we ran out of money" and "the two events are unrelated".  ::)

I think this project had quite a few "red flags" (excuse the pun), so not really surprised to see it come unstuck.

"we are hoping to get some investors on board to finish the project"

My cynical mind interprets that as "we will launch some other scampaigns and use the money to fund this one". :)

To be fair, I don't think it was a deliberate scam. Just hopelessly incompetent and inexperienced.

Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 12:43:19 am »
Just received my Pro board!

I had lost hope, but it looks like they came through.  Not cleaned very well (lots of flux on the headers to connect the module to the breakout), but that's alright.  I'll hopefully get some time to bring it up and play around with it this weekend.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 01:10:45 am »
Just received my Pro board!

I had lost hope, but it looks like they came through.  Not cleaned very well (lots of flux on the headers to connect the module to the breakout), but that's alright.  I'll hopefully get some time to bring it up and play around with it this weekend.

Yeah - I finally got an email with tracking no for mine last Friday.  I was losing hope as well. Kudos to Alexander for following through although his communication lately has been poor.   I'm looking forward to see what this little board can do.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf