Author Topic: Controllino - The Arduino compatible PLC  (Read 12819 times)

Offline StonentTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Controllino - The Arduino compatible PLC
« on: March 19, 2014, 07:11:36 am »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/24519005/controllino-the-first-arduino-compatible-plc

CONTROLLINO - The Features

Supply Voltage: 12-24V

USB Connection

All Inputs/Outputs ESD Protected: 6kV contact; 10kV air (also the 26 pin header)

Digital Outputs: Overload and Short-Circuit-Proof

DIN-Rail mounting

A couple of things:

1. Language: Most PLC guys don't use Arduino, they use Ladder Logic to program. I do know there is a AVR Ladder Logic compiler out there, but it hasn't been updated in several years.
2. Ethernet:  That's pretty much a must-have now in the PLC world. I suppose they could spare a few IO pins for that.
3. Integrated environment: For this to take off, they'd need something akin to RSLogix and RSView.

Still I really like this idea.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
Re: Controllino - The Arduino compatible PLC
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 07:18:48 am »
Rail mount is always a +1 for me.

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:24:35 am »
If I'm buying a PLC, here's few reasons I'd be buying it and not just whacking some isolation/relays on a uC.

- Integration with whatever SCADA system is being used is mandatory now.
- Some form of industrial bus that integrates with everything else in the process.  If I had my choice, probably industrial ethernet.
- A known good history in an industrial environment (preferably similar to the environment it's going in, e.g. underground.)
- Expandability
- Software robustness
- Support available from a company that's got good industrial experience, particularly in the sector it's being used in
- Availability of technical persons that know the product line and know how to program it well
- Compliance to all standards as required
- etc

If you take the word PLC out of it for a moment, and don't try to compare it to a real industrial automation PLC, then it's nice project at a reasonable price.

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:30:36 am »
Actually I'm intrigued as to what they need to get custom injection molded.

I've worked on products before in rail enclosures like that, and basically you get the blank enclosure from China and cut the openings into it.  Obviously there's a limit to that in volume, but with a jig holding dozens of them on a CNC table they can be turned out pretty quick.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 11:53:37 am »
Looks to me like this is shooting for the customer that would use a Micrologix 1000 or equivalent.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:55:53 pm »
6 days to go and only about 14% funded.  Looks like this one's going to stall out.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 07:51:39 am »
Ok, so an arduino with ESD protection and short-circuit protection for over 100 bucks, closer to 200 for europe. It's not PLC, it's a ruggedized arduino i DIN-rail encolsure.

I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline Dielectric

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 06:53:36 pm »
Ok, so an arduino with ESD protection and short-circuit protection for over 100 bucks, closer to 200 for europe. It's not PLC, it's a ruggedized arduino i DIN-rail encolsure.

That's how I was actually looking at it.  As a not-PLC, it's sort of interesting.  I want to stuff some extra electronics into my car and motorcycle, but most shields and Arduino components don't appear to be designed for such nasty environments.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 07:25:47 pm »
Just what we need another "ino" to infest my google searches  ::)

Offline Kryoclasm

• Regular Contributor
  • KL3DL
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 03:50:13 am »
This is a great idea and design, too bad it wont make it to goal at the rate it is going.
“I predict that very shortly the old-fashioned incandescent lamp, having a filament heated to brightness by the passage of electric current through it, will entirely disappear.” -Nikola Tesla

Offline Jimmy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 04:26:50 am »
Thats not cheap nowdays automation direct click plc's start at $99 but I buy plc's that have Ethernet and can be programmed remotely. I also want service locally so when one dies I need it replaced within 48hrs. 

Offline ecat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 05:29:41 am »
Certainly not a PLC by any stretch of the imagination. It is a nice box and all around package with some appeal to the amateur home automation peeps perhaps, Ethernet would be a nice addition.

The thing that made me do a double take was the Core Team bio...

Marco Riedesser created the concept for CONTROLLINO. With his 20 years of experience in developing and production of electronics he is the right man at the right time. As CTO he realizes all the features that CONTROLLINO stands up for.

Together with his twin brother Patrick Riedesser he has created many other products. Patrick knows the market and its customer, every time he raises the stakes.

Angelika Gruber combines the vision and the correct process reliability. She holds everything together.

... made me feel a little sick inside to be honest.

"The right man at the right time, raising the stakes every time to avoid, I assume, incorrect process reliability"

Seriously. Do people talk like this and maintain a straight face? Is there no remaining distinction between the world of marketing and cloud cuckoo land?  :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf