Author Topic: Estream: A portable water power generator fits into backpack  (Read 5564 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Estream: A portable water power generator fits into backpack
« on: August 19, 2016, 02:58:51 am »
Another niche and otherwise fairly impratical power generator widget:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hyerinster/estream-a-portable-water-power-generator-fits-into

Offline Don Hills

• Regular Contributor
Re: Estream: A portable water power generator fits into backpack
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 12:32:36 pm »
It isn't going to work very well. Newton's Third Law applies.

Offline janekm

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 02:37:21 pm »
Fortunately, as portable solar and biomass power generators are becoming more popular

Have I missed the portable biomass power generator trend? That brings up some funny ideas ;)

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 04:54:24 pm »
Anyone else shudder when they reference "As seen at SXSW"

SXSW was an interesting music festival, but it's turned in social media whoring.  Anyone who things they (or their product) is cool goes, it's more about getting twitter/instagram/whatever followers than anything else.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 05:15:15 pm »
Yep, very niche application. Typical mountain stream will not be deep enough but would likely work ok in rivers.  4.5 hours to charge it says - how big is the battery?

$180 - $200 is way too much money. 

My Biolite camp stove costs half that and charges my phone or headlamp while cooking food or boiling water.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 10:05:14 pm »
Yep, very niche application. Typical mountain stream will not be deep enough but would likely work ok in rivers.  4.5 hours to charge it says - how big is the battery?

6400mAh, voltage unknown, but 3D render shows 4 cells.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 10:09:14 pm »
Yep, very niche application. Typical mountain stream will not be deep enough but would likely work ok in rivers.

They are promoting it for boaters. If you have a boat, then you have room for solar  and/or enough pre-charged capacity to last you.
The idea of carry and using this for hiking or anything like that is just silly. Much better off carrying a solar solution if you need to reuse after your pre-charge is gone. And of course you'd precharge it before you left.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 10:25:16 pm »
Yep, very niche application. Typical mountain stream will not be deep enough but would likely work ok in rivers.

They are promoting it for boaters. If you have a boat, then you have room for solar  and/or enough pre-charged capacity to last you.
The idea of carry and using this for hiking or anything like that is just silly. Much better off carrying a solar solution if you need to reuse after your pre-charge is gone. And of course you'd precharge it before you left.

The problem with small solar solutions is the need for sun. Perhaps not an issue in your neck of the woods but were I  live in the Pacific NW US - you can find yourself hiking in the rain for a week.  Also - sun exposure in deeply wooded areas can be a problem even on sunny days.

*IF* it does what it says and can charge a 6400 mAh battery in 4.5 hours then there are situations - for example when camping next to a river - where it could be useful.   Also, in the western US and Canada where people routinely do multi-day back country river or lake trips in rafts, canoes, kayaks - it could be useful there. 

Still a niche application though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:28:57 pm by mtdoc »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 08:16:10 am »
*IF* it does what it says and can charge a 6400 mAh battery in 4.5 hours then there are situations - for example when camping next to a river - where it could be useful.   Also, in the western US and Canada where people routinely do multi-day back country river or lake trips in rafts, canoes, kayaks - it could be useful there. 
Still a niche application though.

Very niche, and arguably not a good option. I'd rather take several pre-charged packs than rely on this thing, which you'd take  pre-charged anyway.
And if you have your smart phone on every day while you are hiking and hence need to charge it every day, then you are doing it wrong.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 01:56:32 pm »
There are some major problems with this device in practical application. Even if it charges beautifully, how do you expect to properly deploy it in a stream or river? You think you can tie a rope to it and just toss it in?

You are going to need to mount it rigidly to a pole or other hardware that will keep the base stationary while the propeller rotates, and somehow keep it stabilized over the river, from the side or if there is a bridge. If you just throwing it in the entire device will probably spin until your rope gets twisted up, and will bounce around in all directions. We don't know if this floats or sinks, and either way it will be a mess without some support or someone holding the base rigidly and at the proper depth to allow all rotation torque on propeller only.

Conclusion: As is, without additional hardware for proper deployment, it is a FAIL.
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 02:18:22 pm »
The pictures clearly show that you have to hold Estream with your hand for 4.5h to get it fully charged >:D Another great and expensive gadget for the bin, pardon me, e-waste recycling.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 02:26:25 pm »
And if you have your smart phone on every day while you are hiking and hence need to charge it every day, then you are doing it wrong.

Amen. My favourite mountain/hill walking area is the West Highlands of Scotland. If you're lucky you can be completely out of cell phone coverage for two or three days. If you're doing it right the only thing you might need to charge is a torch or a glass.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 12:42:39 am »
I'm outside of cell phone coverage in almost any of the backcountry areas in the western US. I can hike for weeks at a time without cellphone coverage - and that is a good thing!

I do however often use my iphone as a library of reading material instead of lugging around multiple books. Occasionally I even use the GPS since I can't be bothered to buy a proper GPS.  And of course, it also serves as a compact camera.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 01:32:01 am »
I do however often use my iphone as a library of reading material instead of lugging around multiple books. Occasionally I even use the GPS since I can't be bothered to buy a proper GPS.  And of course, it also serves as a compact camera.

No way I'd use a phone for any of that.
Kindle battery lasts for more than a month, it's the bomb.
A small rugged GPS is the way to go for that purpose, last thing I want is fragile phone when I'm scrambling over rocks or what not trying to get signal.
And nothing beats a proper camera on a trip.
But meh, seems to be the sign of the time, phone for everything  :-//

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 02:01:22 am »

A small rugged GPS is the way to go for that purpose, last thing I want is fragile phone when I'm scrambling over rocks or what not trying to get signal.
But meh, seems to be the sign of the time, phone for everything  :-//

If you put the phone in an OtterBox or one of the other high end cases it becomes pretty damn rugged! That said, battery life would suck, so yes, I'd much rather have a Kindle and a real GPS that can last for days on a set of AA batteries. Plus my Canon 40D with telephoto lense and a monopod (which doubles as a walking stick).

Though, real men use the Sun as a compass and the stars as their map!

(I guess a phone could be useful if you download every episode of Les Stroud's Survivorman, just in case.)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 03:23:14 am »
Yeah, horses for courses.

I rarely use GPS. Topographic maps are usually enough and I'm not into geocaching.

I'm also a weight weinnie in the backcountry. Better to have one small device to do many tasks - all extraneous anyways.

I don't care enough about high quality photos to bring a real camera on most trips. A kindle might be nice but then I'd have to make the effort to load my PDF's onto it.

As is, a small, light solar charger and my Biolite stove have worked well for iPhone and headlamp charging needs on longer trips.

But as usual other solutions will fit others needs better.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 04:22:42 pm »

But meh, seems to be the sign of the time, phone fo

Or we can take the Light Phone, if it ever gets released (now almost 2 months late, over-funded KS): https://www.eevblog.com/forum/crowd-funded-projects/light-phone-on-kickstarter/ :-DD
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 05:23:26 pm »
I'm outside of cell phone coverage in almost any of the backcountry areas in the western US. I can hike for weeks at a time without cellphone coverage - and that is a good thing!

Sadly the UK is a bit more crowded. On the mainland the most remote spot is 6.48 miles from a road and about 9 or 10 from a town big enough that it's bound to have cellphone coverage. Lest you think this makes the spot in question quite accessible I'll point out that it takes about 2 days walking to reach from the nearest sensible access from a road. Wainwright's description of walking into the area goes thusly: "Weaklings and novices must expect to perish. Once committed, there is no easy escape." Sounds perfect to me.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf