Author Topic: Fake Indiegogo for 121GW?  (Read 6167 times)

Offline ANTALIFETopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Muh Blog

The following users thanked this post: ChunkyPastaSauce, marcus_cdn

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Fake Indiegogo for 121GW?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 08:18:49 am »
This is a SCAM!
I did not do this nor authorise it. DO NOT back this!

The following users thanked this post: Neganur

Offline ANTALIFETopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Muh Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 08:28:20 am »
Thought so, better contact indiegogo quick

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:31:23 am »
I just did so, but I am sure it wouldn't hurt if others did so also. The report link has the option to state it is a copy of another campaign:

https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=68803&subject=Prohibited%20Content&campaign=2288203&description=https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/eevblog-121gw-multimeter--2

Haha, whoever did this can't even spell "Sydney"

https://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/17810526

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 09:30:06 am »
Wow, there is definitely something wrong with their system when crap like this is possible, hopefully it doesn't amount to anything more than a free advertisement and publicity for Dave's meter.   

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 09:44:18 am »
I know he wouldn't bother, but Dave could probably sue IGG for reputational damage, as they have clearly failed to do any due diligence to prevent fraud.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 10:42:46 am »
Just sent off a Prohibited Content complaint to Indiegogo. When I have complained in the past, they genuinely did read the complaint, so this campaign should disappear. They do sometimes leave it till near the end of the campaign before cancelling it.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 10:48:15 am »
Just sent off a Prohibited Content complaint to Indiegogo. When I have complained in the past, they genuinely did read the complaint, so this campaign should disappear. They do sometimes leave it till near the end of the campaign before cancelling it.
Which would be further grounds to claim damages...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 10:49:13 am »
I know he wouldn't bother, but Dave could probably sue IGG for reputational damage, as they have clearly failed to do any due diligence to prevent fraud.

That would be a bad idea (apart from being a serious waste of my time and fiscal suicide), I'd lose. They have a mechanism in place to report this stuff, and could easily argue that the photo and video all matched my profile photo and it all looked otherwise legit. They could easily claim that any further checks would hinder their business model of large volume of new campaigns etc.?
The only winners would be the lawyers.

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 11:01:29 am »
I wonder who is the the person behind this:
1. Someone who really thinks he can actuality scam people by doing it - less likely, as pretty much everybody would know that they will be caught, in particularly with a month long campaign;
2. SolarRoadways, Batteroo, or some one else Dave have stepped on theirs little finger - I will put my bet on this;
3. Anyone else?   

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 11:07:32 am »
4. Maybe just a joke? A bad joke..
5. Someone trying to (genuinely) learn how to create a campaign on the back end and uses an existing campaign to fill in the required data, but then (accidentally) posting the campaign..

My bet is still at No. 2

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 11:13:50 am »
I didn't think of it. I should have sent Indiegogo a photo of my 121GW multimeter in front of the Indiegogo web page on my monitor. You can add attachments to the complaints. I guess I could send a second complaint.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 11:20:23 am »
Come to think of it, I now recall the same thing happening to my uCurrent Kickstarter...

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 11:33:02 am »
That would be a bad idea (apart from being a serious waste of my time and fiscal suicide), I'd lose.
No argument that it wouldn't be financially viable with the messed-up US legal system.
They have a mechanism in place to report this stuff,
Yes, but if they fail to take it down in a reasonable time ( 24h) that would pretty much negate that as a "due diligence" argument. ISTR someone mentioned they've seen capaigns left until almost ended before they got taken down.
and could easily argue that the photo and video all matched my profile photo and it all looked otherwise legit.
But the fact that it is identical to a recently ended KS campaign is a major red flag that they could easily have checked.
They could easily claim that any further checks would hinder their business model of large volume of new campaigns etc.?
being a threat to their business model is not a defence if their negligence causes damage to someone's reputation
The only winners would be the lawyers.
Quite probably, though the publicity of a successful case against them could hurt IGG so they might settle out of court.
Then again it seems like they don't give a toss about their reputation. I'm surprised anyone still uses them.

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 02:28:53 pm »
It seems to be there for a month now, at least 24 days. So this started around the time the real campaign ended.
Pretty amazing that it wasn't spotted before.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 03:57:17 pm »
It's over and over again fascinating how far a predatory and psychopathic mind can go - everything is possible, everything is allowed. When it's eventually uncovered, don't expect remorse or any other innately human response, just another attempt of so-called "damage control" (the same is applicable to that sort of individuals and corporations).

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 03:59:17 pm »
This thread should be posted on the “EEV Specific” or somewhere everyone will see it. I know there is also a video now, but the more exposure the better. So far only 435 users have seen it hidden away here. Nice catch ANTALIFE.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 04:00:14 pm »
<sigh> 6 people have actually ponied up, too. And of course the campaign is still there. Unbelievable that Indiegogo cares so little - just another nail in their own coffin. I wonder how many OTHER similar scams they've allowed.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 06:44:28 pm »
It has been removed, I just got this email from Indigogo:

Steve (Indiegogo Support)
Jan 9, 10:32 PST

Hi there,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! We have removed the campaign from our platform and will not allow the user to use Indiegogo in the future. Indiegogo is an open platform so we regularly review campaigns during their duration to look for suspicious activity.

This campaign showed up in our review queue today and our Trust & Safety team was just about to review it when you wrote in. Thank you for assisting with this process! I apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

To learn more about Indiegogo's Trust & Safety effort, please visit: www.indiegogo.com/trust. Thank you again for taking the time to get in touch with us and for helping to keep Indiegogo a safe and secure platform.

Regards,

Steve

--
Trust and Safety

Indiegogo|
Generosity

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, blueskull, Inverted18650

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 07:55:34 pm »
Got the same email roughly an hour ago.
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 08:20:23 pm »
Sure would be nice if Indiegogo would give Dave the email of the perp.. Bet it was Batterizer scam artists.

Some time stamps.. sad people had to loose money.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:46:04 pm by Cliff Matthews »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline whitevamp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 08:42:26 pm »

Steve (Indiegogo Support)

Jan 9, 10:26 PST

Hi there,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! We have removed the campaign from our platform and will not allow the user to use Indiegogo in the future. Indiegogo is an open platform so we regularly review campaigns during their duration to look for suspicious activity.

This campaign showed up in our review queue today and our Trust & Safety team was just about to review it when you wrote in. Thank you for assisting with this process! I apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

To learn more about Indiegogo’s Trust & Safety effort, please visit: www.indiegogo.com/trust. Thank you again for taking the time to get in touch with us and for helping to keep Indiegogo a safe and secure platform.

Regards,

Steve

--
Trust and Safety

Indiegogo|
Generosity
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:44:06 pm by whitevamp »

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 08:54:42 pm »
Cloned/automated email replies,

now that's 'Trust & Safety team' service with a smile   ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:58:05 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 10:26:40 pm »
I got the exact same email.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 10:43:59 pm »
We have removed the campaign from our platform and will not allow the user to use Indiegogo in the future.

I wonder what user they banned. Assuming they were using a fake name, it would make sense using the name Dave Jones since that is the name in the campaign. Have they banned Dave Jones from Indiegogo?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf